• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
To the respectable Count Walpole of Meath,
Although it sounds a sound idea, I for one feel we should assert our rightful dominion over the Francican Peoples.
From Count Bourchier
of Essex

To the respectable Count Walpole of Meath,
Although it sounds a sound idea, I for one feel we should assert our rightful dominion over the Francican Peoples.
From Count Bourchier
of Essex
To the most honourable Count Bourchier of Essex,

I'd rather think we should look for strong allies in Continental Europe that keep the French off our backs while we conquer Ireland with almost nothing to stop us, and then turn on the French. We don't want some Irish state to unite the 4 earldoms and ally the Scottish, since that would mean a hard war for Ireland, while it's ripe for taking right now.

- Sir John Walpole, count of Meath

Your last name seems awfully French.

I'll be following your new endeavours with much interest.
As I don't have much time lately, I won't create a character, but will follow and vote in your AAR :)

Reactions:
I'll be following your new endeavours with much interest.
As I don't have much time lately, I won't create a character, but will follow and vote in your AAR :)
Always nice to see another familiar face! Glad to have you on board as an active participant in the voting phase :) Cheers!

Last edited:
@ThePatriotOfDreumel, the origins of Bourchier
"There is no evidence which confirms this family to have originated in France, and it was possibly of ancient English origin. Its name was however Latinised by scribes to de Burgo Caro,[1] "from the costly town", from a Gallicisation of the name to le Bourg Cher"

Reactions:
@ThePatriotOfDreumel, the origins of Bourchier
"There is no evidence which confirms this family to have originated in France, and it was possibly of ancient English origin. Its name was however Latinised by scribes to de Burgo Caro,[1] "from the costly town", from a Gallicisation of the name to le Bourg Cher"
Excuse me then. I just thought it sounded French.

Plan for the initial expansion of the English kingdom
1. Conquer Ireland. They are weak and cannot stop our expansion.
2. Ally powerful European nations such as Austria and Castille, defeat the French with the Reconquest CB. The reason for this is to weaken the French, and to annul treaties with the Scottish. This is later to get the favours needed for Austria and Castille to join.
3. Conquer Scotland
4. Declare war on France with the Restore Personal Union CB. AI won't join these kinds of wars, due to a -1000 reasons to join the war, this is why the French had to be weakened.
(Note: Don't take the mission until you are going to declare the war. The CB only lasts for 10 years.)​

------------------------------------------------
There will be a vote on this plan.

Last edited:
John arrived in Meath; The Irish city filled with sepetarists and rebel scum. This city would obey the king of England, if they wanted it or not. He had taken 1000 soldiers from England with him, and he intended on making full use of them. He used them, and the city garrison, to capture and publicly hang any Irish sepetarists they could find. 200 men were hung that week. That should keep these uncivilized Irish in line. He made it known in the city. Any man who would from that day think about independence would be hung, or in extreme cases, executed by torture.

November the 11th, 1444

This was another long day in the royal Assembly. As of lateley many discussions where held again about fighting France and ending this damned succession conflict once and for all. Additionally some new Earls had been invested to help his Majesty the King to rule his realm (and God knows that this King needed help).

James of Huntingdon kept silent while the others where talking, war was not what he was looking for, not with this young and inexperienced king on the throne. He sighed as he realised that John Walpole was standing up to deliver his speech. This man has risen fast through the ranks in London with his swordarm and military mind favoring him and again he pledged for war. This time the Irish Dukes where his target.

James looked through the parchments of the latest royal degrees, he has grown suspicious about everyone calling for war without having obvious strong personal objectives (more so with this young and so easy to afffect King). And there it was. James pulled forth the Royal Degree, that granted Walpole the Earldom of Meath, smiling and shaking his head he noted the new information on an extra parchement:

- new Earl (Walpole) in english Ireland calls for agressive war in Ireland

Knowing this new piece of information James stood up and started to speak:

Your Majesty, Nobles of the Assembly, Friends. Starting an agressive war in Ireland is not what benefits the crown at this moment. We would have to invest prescious troops that are needed to frighten the French of attacking us and mostly it would overstrain the administrative capabilities that our realm can gather to integrate the irish Duchies into the Kingdom. And this is without talking about possible irish revolts against english rule.
Looking around into the noble faces of the Assembly James wasn't sure how his message of restraint was accepted by his colleagues. The next part will be more to there liking, he knew:
I agree nevertheless that his Majesties domain has to be expanded in Ireland but let us be more subtle and foreseeing. Send an Emissary to Earl Donnchad MacMurrough-Kavanagh of Leinster and let it be clear that it would be better for himself and his smallfolk to surrender his independence to the English crown. Even Walpole with his swords could do this, James thought to himself.
You could also tell him that an irish ruler who has sworn featly to the his Majesty the King could see himself become the Lord of all of the four irish Earldoms and then might even rise as high as English nobility. Irish people gouverned by an Irish Earl who further is overseen by this Assembly and the King would be the best way to expand English rule in Ireland.
God save his Majesty King Henry VI.

Sitting down again James knew that he hadn't made himself a friend in Walpole today.

Reactions:
November 11th 1444

Speech delivered by Lord Augustus Markson

Gentlemen I stand before you today to propose that we compete with Austria to become next emperor of the Holy Roman Empire. So far Britain has remained above the squabbling of central European lords, now is the time for change. We must ally the electors of the Holy Roman Empire four if we must in an attempt to become emperor. Should we do so we will have access to great manpower resources, which combined with the manpower of France once we have established our dynasty on the throne will make us the primer power in Europe. There have been rumors of a division of Burgundy should the king die and with the title of emperor we can legitimize any claim we have to those lands. I also urgue that we attempt to conquer the rich lands of northern Italy to ensure their loyalty to the empire and to provide a point from which we can attack the Ottoman infidels and restore Byzantium to their former glory while making sure of their alliegence of course

Reactions:
Subbed,
Character
Name:Aleck Mackay(Morgan in Parliament)
Date of Birth:Mar,19 1404
Religion:Catholic
Class:Noble,no land claimed,owner and REO of the Scots Trading Company eat 1427.
Biography :A member of Clan Mackay in the Highlands.In his childhood,he was not interested in war,but diplomacy.After the Battle of Harpsdale,angered by the warring nature of the clans of the Highlands,he moved to Edinburgh in 1427.He established a trading company that traded with the English,French,And other nations around the English Cannel and the North Sea, as well as Lubeck.He moved to London in order to be in a merchant gulid part of the Hansa432.Using his diplomatic skill,he grew enough influence around England to get into Parliament.He is also is currently the only person to wear a kilt

Aleck Mackay(3/6/1)

Last edited:
Reactions:
Before it's time for me to introduce our first king, I'd like to ask those who have a character to put the name of that character at the end of their in-character posts OR in their signature. That way it is easier for everyone to know who is speaking.

Every ruler will have three personality traits which will influence his behavior. There are positive and negative traits which depend heavily on the ruler stats. This is why the stats of Henry VI Lancaster aren't the best. The following is a list of all possible character traits. The list has also been added to the front page. I got inspired to use personality traits in this iAAR by @Michaelangelo who is the author of Empire of the Mediterranean.

Administrative
0-3
Drunkard - Enjoys to drink all kind of alcoholic beverages. Might make odd decisions if drunk.
Gluttonous - Like to do things in excess, particularly eating food. Loves feats.
Greedy - Works on increasing his personal wealth.
Lazy - Does not enjoy to work. Prefers to spend his time on other things.
Slow - Does not understand everything that is going on. Relies more on the advice of others.

3-6
Charitable - More likely to support and help is subjects.
Diligent - An active participant in running the country.
Genius - Makes logical decisions.
Temperate - Carefully thinks things over. Sometimes unsure of what to do.
Trusting - Trusts his subjects and is thereby willing to take people for their word.

Diplomatic
0-3
Deceitful - Will not refrain from working behind someone's back.
Incapable - Unable to think in a sensible way.
Paranoid - Worried that others might take advantage of him or try to overthrow him.
Proud - Acts unilaterally, thinks he is the best. Tends to ignore advice or decisions taken by the Assembly.
Shy - Does not like to appear in public.

3-6
Ambitious - Will work on increasing his on power and that of the country.
Gregarious - An excellent speaker who is not shy of speaking to others.
Honest - Almost always speaks the truth.
Humble - Has a deep respect for his subjects.
Wise - This character shows good judgement and is very knowledgable.

Military
0-3
Arbitrary - The decisions he takes are rarely based on logic.
Craven - Afraid of leading the troops.
Impatient - Acts hastily.
Kind - Shows a greater respect to people of a different heritage. More likely to tolerate heretics.
Mad - Acts completely unrestrained by reason and judgment

3-6
Brave - Loves to lead the troops in battle.
Cruel - Enjoys to torment his subjects
Just - Rules fairly
Patient - More willing to wait for a consensus to emerge
Ruthless - Shows no mercy

Last edited:
Excerpt from A brief History of English Kings by Alexander F. Thompson on the early life of King Henry VI Lancaster:

Henry VI Lancaster rose to the throne on 31 August, 1422, and was crowned King of England in Canterbury. Due to various treaties and wars in the past, Henry VI was also Duke of Normandy and Duke of Aquitaine.
He has been described by as a slow man who had difficulties understanding the bigger picture as well as the political situation he was living in. Furthermore, Henry VI is said to have relied more on the advice of his council, even when it came to basic decisions. Because he feared that powerful nobles were out to get him, Henry VI developed a deep paranoia which made it difficult for him to build relationships. This explained why at the age of 22 he still had no legitimate heir. On top of that, Henry VI was also slightly impatient. He hated it to wait on others.
Generally speaking, Henry VI was not an ideal candidate to rule over England in the 15th century. His personality and skills were suboptimal for being a king. During the early ears of his reign, England suffered some technological setbacks (in-game displayed by his low stats of 0/0/0) which made life for the English even more difficult than it already was.
This is why in . . .

Before it's time for me to introduce our first king, I'd like to ask those who have a character to put the name of that character at the end of their in-character posts OR in their signature. That way it is easier for everyone to know who is speaking.

Every ruler will have three personality traits which will influence his behavior. There are positive and negative traits which depend heavily on the ruler stats. This is why the stats of Henry VI Lancaster aren't the best. The following is a list of all possible character traits. The list has also been added to the front page. I got inspired to use personality traits in this iAAR by @Michaelangelo who is the author of Empire of the Mediterranean.

Administrative
0-3
Drunkard - Enjoys to drink all kind of alcoholic beverages. Might make odd decisions if drunk.
Gluttonous - Like to do things in excess, particularly eating food. Loves feats.
Greedy - Works on increasing his personal wealth.
Lazy - Does not enjoy to work. Prefers to spend his time on other things.
Slow - Does not understand everything that is going on. Relies more on the advice of others.

3-6
Charitable - More likely to support and help is subjects.
Diligent - An active participant in running the country.
Genius - Makes logical decisions.
Temperate - Carefully thinks things over. Sometimes unsure of what to do.
Trusting - Trusts his subjects and is thereby willing to take people for their word.

Diplomatic
0-3
Deceitful - Will not refrain from working behind someone's back.
Incapable - Unable to think in a sensible way.
Paranoid - Worried that others might take advantage of him or try to overthrow him.
Proud - Acts unilaterally, thinks he is the best. Tends to ignore advice or decisions taken by the Assembly.
Shy - Does not like to appear in public.

3-6
Ambitious - Will work on increasing his on power and that of the country.
Gregarious - An excellent speaker who is not shy of speaking to others.
Honest - Almost always speaks the truth.
Humble - Has a deep respect for his subjects.
Wise - This character shows good judgement and is very knowledgable.

Military
0-3
Arbitrary - The decisions he takes are rarely based on logic.
Craven - Afraid of leading the troops.
Impatient - Acts hastily.
Kind - Shows a greater respect to people of a different heritage. More likely to tolerate heretics.
Mad - Acts completely unrestrained by reason and judgment

3-6
Brave - Loves to lead the troops in battle.
Cruel - Enjoys to torment his subjects
Just - Rules fairly
Patient - More willing to wait for a consensus to emerge
Ruthless - Shows no mercy
I will be using this system too, but with a little twist. First, I will decide in which category my character will be educated in. (ADM, DIP or MIL) This will be decided on birth of the character. When the character turns 18, I will determine it's stats. It's about exactly like a king/heir in the game, a number between 0 and 6. 2 catagories will be rolled between 0 and 6, and the catagory the character is educated in will be rolled between 3 and 6. From there I will use the table above to determine the characters traits. If stats are under 3 or lower, I will take them from the 0-3 catagory, if they are 4 or higher, the 4-6 catagory. Almost all of this will be decided by RNG, except for the education.

Using the method above:

John Walpole (5/3/6) = Diligent/Proud/Cruel

I hope this makes sense to you guys. You can use this method if you want, it certainly adds to the game.

The character's stats and traits will be in the signature.

Last edited:
King Henry VI Lancaster addressing the Court of England

Difficult times lie ahead and the question arises what England should do to counter the French threat and to restore my family's legitimate claim on the French throne. The French limit our expansion into Scotland through a guarantee of independence. The Irish earldoms of Tyrone, Leinster, Munster and Connacth are ripe for the taking as Count Walpole has suggested in his Plan for the Initial Expansion of the English Kingdom. I ask that you take a moment and think over this plan. Your advice is strongly needed as I cannot come to a decision on this and all the follow matters that I present to you.

The council and I believe that we should focus on uniting the Irish Earldoms under English rule. Let me present you the Plan for the Conquest of Ireland. While this plan shares some similarities with the plan of Count Warpole, there are some fundamental differences:

Plan for the Conquest of Ireland
Intensify our efforts to unite Ireland under English rule after having secured powerful allies and under the condition that the earls continue to lack any notable allies.

Plan for the Initial Expansion of the English Kingdom: Yes / No / Abstain

Plan for the Conquest of Irish Earldoms: Yes / No / Abstain

Plan to work on becoming Holy Roman Empire: Yes / No / Abstain

Mission: Improve Our Prestige / Solidify Our Papal Relations / Reclaim Armagnac / Abstain

Parliament Debate: Administrative Reform / Expand the Army / Fund Expansion of Bureaucracy / Restrict Imports / Increase Taxes / Abstain

ej92WIg.png

The deadline for this vote is Monday at 17:00 CET. Please remember that you list your character name or forum name (if you have no character) and that you cast your votes in bold.

Last edited:
Reactions:
Last edited:
Name: Alexander Bloodstone
Date of Birth: 31st of October 1412
Religion: Catholic
Class: Cortier, persuing merchant career.
Biography: Alexander was born as the son to the impoverished Diplomat James van Fruncken in Holland in 1412. He emmigrated to the kingdom of England in 1431 to seek a fortune under his uncle William, apprenticing under him in the city of Dover, before transferring to the shipyards and working tirelessly to repair damaged English warships struck by the Hundred Years War (for which he received an Civillian Assisstance award by the Mayor of Dover. After allegedly slicing an enemies wrist open with a sparking flint he got and took on the nickname of Bloodstone.

(3/5/2) (Greedy/Wise/Kind)

Last edited:
Reactions: