• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Status
Not open for further replies.
This is the NW forum, so please discuss NW related to Steam in this thread. A more general "I hate/love Steam" thread is in the Paradox General Discussion forum, and also the OT forum, I believe. Thank you.

With all of the hassle with getting a steam account, registering a bank account and downloading and so on (seriously I am lazy), I'm glad to hear that you will maybe release it through other channels. I'm not ready to get into that swamp for just one games sake, sorry.

Registering a Bank Account? Whoever told you that is an idiot. Is it too hard to find out what Steam actually is? I personally like steam, I am able to save credit card information to Steam if needed, or i can choose not to, plus i can add money to the Steam Wallet if I wish.

I don't know if the game will be sold boxed but if it is then go and buy it. Either way you will get a key and a receipt in which you can bring to steam customer support for help. Every time you buy a steam game it'll send a receipt to your email. It's wise to print a copy of this.

Because of Steam distribution, indie developers get a much higher percentage of the total revenue than the old model of selling your studio, your soul and your firstborn to enormous publishers like EA/Ubi/Activision, etc... While Paradox is still a "publisher", they are like an indie publisher with morals, so they don't count.

Anyway, I will not buy this or any other game on Origin, since it's a popular enough boycott to actually make it fail one day. However I always welcome Steam release.

Most of my games are through Steam, except for the older Paradox titles I have.
my Egosoft X games are on Steam (despite owning them on disc as well!).

The only issue I had with steam is when CSS had an update that is "forced" upon you (if you wish to play online :p ) and caused issues in game.
Of course, it was fixed before I loaded the game the next day ;)

Think I've had my Steam account for 7 years now ;) I have only bought about 10 games off of steam (with the majority being in the last year or two).
Great simple platform, no qualms using it. I am sure there is the odd time my temper rose, but nothing compared to having to email the producers of Medieval Total War 2 as their copy protection detected something that was not installed and took about 7 days and many emails/downloads of patched exe files from their "support" to fix. Better yet, if I ever wanted to play that game again (lol) I'd have to go through the whole damned saga again (I formatted and installed Windows 7 last year, so without the files I'd be having to do it again).

So, online distribution has (so far) aced disc bought games in my experience :) Only downside is that as games expand in size, my internet connection has not kept pace. If a game weighs in at 10Gb it'd take me a week to DL it... indeed, internet is going backwards here. Costs more per month for a slower poorer connection than I had in 2005. Go figure :/

related to steam and the paradox forum... Where is the cd-key for naval warfare on steam? normally it's just right-click but there is no option to view the cd key.
I want the game registered on the forum granting me an awesome icon:)

related to steam and the paradox forum... Where is the cd-key for naval warfare on steam? normally it's just right-click but there is no option to view the cd key.
I want the game registered on the forum granting me an awesome icon:)

You probably need to give steam some time to upload them. Theres been a few games where the code appears as a MP key....

I have been a Steam user since it began. I have maybe 20 games on steam and used it primarily for CS-S, Dod-S, and TF2 as I had no choice. I have never really had many issues with it once you understand how it works.
It does not use a lot in resources when it runs. That said if I have to buy digitally I usually go for Gamersgate first. But there are some awesome deals that come up on Steam like all the total war for like 15% of the cost as a package and some other combo deals like Theatre of War 2. Most of the games run offline its only a few titles like Silent Hunter 5 that irritate me about needing to connect.

Overall Steam is not as evil as it is made out to be. That said I wish PC games were circulated in big boxes and with manuals but it just is not happening anymore I mean Gamestop the gaming store around doesnt even carry much if any PC stuff anymore. Steam can actually benefit distribution and sales of some titles. IMHO if this were say released digital only w/ boxed option say by Matrix only it would probably see less sales and hence support down the road. But mayhaps I am wrong.

I recently HAD to get Origin for BF3 and was not thrilled about it

Too bad it is Steam only. I was looking forward to buying it. But I will not buy any game that requires steam. If you ever put it on Gamersgate, without steam , let me know, as I would like to buy this most interesting game. But not if it means steam.

This is, to be very frank, a case of a very vocal minority giving Steam a bad rep with, mostly, quite weak arguments (many based on what they hear others say).
I couldn't agree more. Too many people are ready to bash Steam without ever even trying it. I have over 50 games on this platform and have used it happily without issue for the last seven years. The only real downside is that to get the most out of it you need a decent download speed and plenty of bandwidth.

Added bonus.

Buying this game, I also got a free copy of another Paradox Title. Deals on Steam can be utter bargains. I think at Xmas you could have gotten the entire Paradox back catalogue for £50 or something utterly insane.

My cde-key now also appeared and the icon works... nice:)

Added bonus.
Buying this game, I also got a free copy of another Paradox Title. Deals on Steam can be utter bargains. I think at Xmas you could have gotten the entire Paradox back catalogue for £50 or something utterly insane.

That was actually the reason I bought the game (Commander for 19.99 instead of 30), but Naval warfare is a nice bonus:p
Will have to learn the game when I have the time since it has lots of potential!

I have about 30 games in Steam. From Civilization, X3, I don't remember.
Really is that, at the beginning of Steam, I had some problems with some games (I remember a problem with Empire at War) that a friend of mine didn't have as he was playing without Steam. With the meantime all the problems have been solved and nowadays, I don't have any problem buying and playing with Steam. And most, I use to travel a lot, and when in some hotel with the laptop, I could download any of my games anywhere.

Greetings

In many ways I love Steam - no manual game updates, no disks required to play, easy to reinstall all your games after a new operating system/computer upgrade, permanent backup, no faulty disk installations, Steam achievements, Steam playtime logging, small developers get more money so better games will come from it, monopolies like Game lose out - all great stuff.

In some ways I hate Steam - reliant on the company being available for the future in order to play all of your games, concern about what would happen if they sold their company at some point, being forced to register online before playing, sometimes being forced to play with a permanent connection (I dont buy those types of games - Silent Hunter 5 etc - never got it), Steam having a monopoly (like Game), what happens if they decide to charge monthly for future use of their system, not able to sell the game afterwards, etc etc.

But either way its here to stay and you have to accept that and move on or get another hobby. Dont like it but that's the way it is. If you don't like Steam I respect your choice not to buy. Myself I am resigned to using it but I buy far less games than I used to, because I cant sell them afterwards. So I now make damn sure I will want the game before I buy it. Therefore I have won out by spending my money more wisely and it has generated better games from small developers like this one - that's the way I see it.

Personally I refuse to buy any game that requires steam to play. I was excited to see this game on Gamersgate and was ready to hit the buy button until I saw steam under DRM. I don't expect you to change it if you consider non steam users a "vocal minority" but you are going to lose sales. Disappointing from a Paradox game.

Status
Not open for further replies.