• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Arthur is still so innocent at times, it is almost cute.

But one knows that, beneath that charming naivete there is good Wessex blood, with all that entails. Or entrails, as the case may be.

Fb-fb:

Nice to see the age old Wessex tradition of plots and intrigue is alive and well and Scotland is in the crosshairs.
Let's just say that Scotland and Ireland are both in the cross hairs. Brittany is not far behind and as we see, the Empire has the eye wandering. ;) This is a very active King. :D

Arthur is still so innocent at times, it is almost cute.

But one knows that, beneath that charming naivete there is good Wessex blood, with all that entails. Or entrails, as the case may be.
Heh! :D Arthur is still feeling his bones, as it were. He knows what he needs to do. He does not always like it. An interesting character, I thought. He remains young, and as we see there are a number of years left to him. It is what happens in those between years that is fun for me. :)

To all - Look for the next scene tomorrow, likely early. I am getting into the meat of it now in the writing and hopefully to you as reader. I was feeling my way about early on because I was uncertain if I should do this latest chapter, but I am finding it a great joy to start rounding these folks out. I hope you feel the same. :cool:

The Song of Wessex

Julich, Germany – May 1299

Emperor Werner sat at his high table and ate with purpose. He was alone and no one sat below. He was thirty one and neither his wife nor his children loved him. Four of them...two girls...two boys. His eldest son Bruno was off with his mother God knew where, and frankly, he was happy with the peace and quiet. And he held the empire. He had bested his elder brother...both of them, in fact. Viktor was lucky to keep a seat at court such was that English whore that was his wife. And Hugo? The less thought about him, the better. Theirs was not a close family and Werner was happy enough with his feast, his drink and his women.

Yet he was still caused to find interruption when his Chancellor appeared before him and bowed, “Mein Kaiser...I bring word of England.”

“You whoreson! Arschloch!” Werner cursed and threw a chicken leg at him, “Can I not have my time?!”

Folkhard bent to a knee and lowered his head, “I beg apology, Mein Kaiser. I thought that you should know.”

“Know what other victories this gottverdammt Arthur finds?!” Werner sat forward in anger, “You should come and tell to me that he has died in the dark forests of Scotland! It was a great day when his father met his maker and I long for the day that I hear that news again!”

“I am sorry that I cannot tell you that, Mein Kaiser,” the Chancellor pushed ahead with a nervous voice, “It is said that the King of the English would take this land of Scotland within a year, and from news told to me he is likely to do so. He leads his forces himself along with his French Lord...and he wins.”

“I would as soon take your head than hear another word escape your lips, mein herr!” Werner nearly tipped over his table such was his anger, “Leave this hall and do not return to me until you have news better to me ears!!”

Not risking a beheading, the Chancellor did just that and escaped the hall with his life. The Emperor sat back down and looked to the trencher before him in disgust. The juices of the fowl seemed to seep and looked as if blood to him. He pushed it away into a great mess and cursed again as he left the hall to find his chambers. At least one good thing might find him this night. A juicy little thing he had found when last to Koln. Said to have been the paramour for the Archbishop himself, Werner was happy enough to steal her away.

As he entered his chamber, there she was. Brunhilde...fair of hair...blue eyed...buxom. She had loosened her dress just enough to tease and when he closed the door, she smiled and poured him a goblet of wine, “I would wait all night...but you do tarry.”

“A man has an appetite!” Werner went to her for an embrace, “A man needs his energy!”

She took him in and allowed his greasy fingers to trace her face and his sloppy mouth to kiss her lips. As if he had not found a meal, he was ravenous and she finally pushed away and teased at him as she pulled up her skirt and showed him a leg, “I am encumbered, oh great German Kaiser! What will you do?”

Werner grinned and stepped back, “You may lose your dress, fraulein. Take it away so that I may see you in full.”

“Liebschen!” she demurred as she held her arms to her chest, “I am but a fair maiden! And you are untoward!”

They both grinned as he moved to the trestle table and poured her some wine, “Then take some courage. I am vexed this night and you may need it.”

Brunhilde offered a playful pout as she put her arms around him, “What troubles you, mein herr? You are too bothered...especially when you have this.”

After another deep kiss, Werner held her away and answered, “You have not the mind to understand. Do as I say and allow me to forget. You are so very good at that!”

“Yet you hold too many clothes...mein Kaiser,” she teased as she unbuckled his breaches and moved to her knees. After a time, he was inflamed and pushed her to the bed, nearly tearing off her dress. They were savage in their lovemaking and when they were through, Werner took deep breaths and wiped at his sweaty chest.

“That wine! Bring it me! I shall quench my thirst and conquer once again!”

Brunhilde did as demanded and returned with two goblets. Handing one to him, she grinned, “Do not take long. I am not yet satisfied.”

“You will be! Worry not!” Werner took a long drink and threw the empty goblet away before pulling her to him again, “I think to conquer the south as much as the north this night!”

As he moved in for a kiss, she held him away and teased again, “You do not mean...the Italian way?!”

Tossing her in the bed, he lay on top of her and grinned, “I would call it the German way. They know nothing to the south!”

“Yet...” Brunhilde held his head away, “...what happens there?”

Werner began to speak but found a gurgle in his throat. When the words did not come, he pushed away and fell towards the floor. Brunhilde watched for a moment before she moved from the bed and pulled a cover to her shoulder. Kneeling, she watched as the Emperor clawed at his neck and face.

“What is it that you speak, liebschen?” she showed a caring eye.

“You?!!” was all that Werner could pronounce as his throat clenched and his eyes grew wide.

She offered a feigned worry, “Me? I am well. Yet you do not look so good.”

Werner was able to point with his hand and as he held it up, she laughed, “Very good...mein Kaiser. In Koln, we call that...the last gasp. Bavaria...Franconia...they have different words. It is a large realm...that should be expected.”

As his mouth began to froth with little white bubbles, she moved closer and grinned, “What you are experiencing now, I am told, is quite excruciating. Yet you will live...for but a moment longer. North to south...mein herr...not a one of us wants you. I’ve been told to tell you that. For me? I did not mind so much the touching. You have a gentle hand at times. Yet not enough.”

Werner’s eyes grew wide as he felt that he could not breath and she smiled once more, “Painful...yes. I should say while you still have your hearing...I’ve been told to give you one more message.”

He pulled at his throat as if somehow he might clear it and gasped at air that would not come. She moved her face closer and smiled, “I am also to say that Arthur gives you answer. When you saw the lion dead, you should have killed the cub. The cub still lives!”

Melun Castle – August 1351

“Your predecessor robbed me,” the old man looked to his Lord Marshal with irritation.

Lord Mayor Eric looked to Arthur with great question, “Your Majesty?”

“I was to kill him!” Arthur stated with anger, “He was my hunt! My white stag!”

“I’m afraid that I do not follow, Majesty,” Eric suggested as he helped the old man to a soft bed, “Mayhap some rest will clear your memory.”

Shaking him off with surprising strength, Arthur sat gingerly and looked up with a fury in his eyes, “My memory is as sound as your sword, sir! Compiegne? Julich? Boulogne? Do these names ring a bell for you?”

“I am Lord Mayor of Compiegne, Your Majesty,” Eric answered as he moved to fetch Arthur some wine, “And we have all just come from Julich. I am uncertain where Boulogne falls into...”

“Lies and deceit,” Arthur muttered as he lay back and then yelled, “And he was mine!”

Carefully returning with the wine, Lord Mayor Eric stood over Arthur with question still, “Who, Your Majesty? Of whom do you speak?”

“The whoreson...” Arthur muttered and ignored the outstretched arm, “...the beast...the devil...”

When Eric did not respond, Arthur sat up in his bed and showed clear eyes and his anger remained, “...Werner!!”

Westminster, England - July 1299

A great thundering horde of hooves sounded as the army of the King returned with Arthur at the lead and his men behind him. The castle was frenzied in activity to greet him and groomsmen were quick to take the King’s reins as he jumped from his mount. Looking up to the restored palace, Arthur smiled and then turned to Lord Amedee, “A wise choice, monsieur! A man can do more than one thing at once...and do it well!”

Amedee too dismounted from his courser and went to the King’s side, “A glorious campaign! I’m sure it is good to be home.”

As the yard bustled with activity, Etienne and Anselm moved to part the sea of bodies and found Arthur. It was Etienne that spied her and pointed, “Your Grace...you look to have a visitor.”

Training his eye to the steps, there was Queen Aveline with their children. Princess Blæja was soon to be nine and already favoring her mother. Yet unlike her mother, she held great love for her father and rushed to greet him. Jumping into his arms, she kissed him about the cheek, “Papa! How you have been missed! Maman comes just in time!”

Arthur looked past his little girl and to his wife for a time before hugging Blæja once more, “A man could find no better reception, my little angel.”

“Blæja!” Aveline shouted from the steps, “Mind your manners! A Princess does not jump about!”

Setting her down gently, Arthur smiled to his wife, “I did not expect to see you here, my Lady.”

Aveline showed no emotion as she gestured to her eldest son, “Arthur…go and greet your father.”

The young Prince was six going on seven and released from the clutches of his stern mother, finally ran to the King, “Papa! Did you slay the beast? Did you find a wound? How many battles were you in?”

“Calm now, young sir...” Arthur grinned as he bent to a knee, “...many questions that will require a telling over a good fire. Let me greet your brother and my Lady wife. There will be time enough for the other.”

The King kissed his son on the head and stood to go to Aveline, “And how is little Eadward? Growling as any good lion cub should?”

“You may see for yourself,” she answered as she gestured to the nursemaid holding Prince Eadward, “Healthy and strong.”

“Pleased am I that you brought him to here,” Arthur answered as he moved to kiss his youngest child on the top of his head.

Aveline gestured to the other two children, “It is hot, Arthur. Let us remove from the sun.”

Blæja and Prince Arthur followed her directive and were soon into the castle as Lord Amedee shifted to the King’s side, “She grows warmer by the day, Your Grace. What a grand reception.”

Nudging him to the ribs, Arthur turned to his men, “Tienne...Ans...see to the baggage. And you, my Lord...let us enter and find out how sunny and hot it is on the inside.”

With a grin, Amedee followed the King into the castle where they found that the Queen had already sent the children away. Aveline stood with no expression and seemed to wait patiently as Arthur once more went to her, “It is unexpected and appreciated...but you did not have to come.”

“Yet I did,” she answered him and pointed towards the solar, “An audience is required.”

With a shrug, Arthur turned to the Lord Marshal with a grin, “The wars never cease, my Lord. Find your care and have a bath for I fear that you stink. I shall see you on the other side.”

There was no fondness between Queen and Lord Marshal but as Amedee bowed and was about to be away, she stopped him, “He should come too.”

“My Lady Queen?” Amedee asked with great question.

Aveline turned on her heel and answered over her shoulder, “Do not tarry, sirs. There is much to be discussed.”

“I believe that she enjoys ruling in your absence,” Amedee joked as he moved to follow her.

Arthur gave nod and walked with him towards the solar. When they had finally ascended the steps and entered, they found Queen Aveline looking out the window over Westminster with her back turned. The King unbuckled his belt and placed his sword aside as he went for some drink, “An unscheduled meet. Your typical icy reception. To what do I owe the pleasure and more importantly, what grand scheme do you have now?”

Aveline did not turn as she answered, “The Emperor Werner is dead.”

“What?!” Arthur had barely had chance to pour when she spoke and turned to her with shock, “Is that true?!”

The Queen finally spun and looked to Amedee for a moment with no smile before turning to her husband, “It is fact. To be seen no more, your most hated foe was found dead to the floor in Julich and what is left of the German Empire is now ruled by an eight year old boy.”

“What is left?” Lord Amedee asked with his own shock, “Where is Lord Payen? Why does he not give us this news?”

“A very good question...monsieur,” Aveline showed Amedee a frown, “Most astute. Word came to Hereford that he was traveled back to Dijon not a fortnight ago. Thus, my Lord husband...the reason for my visit.”

Arthur looked at the full cup in his hands for only a second before placing it aside and moving to his wife, “You tell me that my Lord Chancellor is back to Dijon and that the Emperor is dead? What happens here?!”

“While you play at war, the mice are without their cat,” Aveline raised her chin in reply, “Pleased am I that you won Galloway for your cousin, Lord Lionel of Northumberland...yet matters of state are at hand and I came to here as soon as I heard. After all...someone must rule.”

Amedee stepped forward, “My Lady Queen...please explain why Lord Payen has returned to Burgundy. Does he quit the council?”

“Quite the contrary, my Lord,” Aveline turned to him, “He neither begs off of his position nor challenges in any way. What he does is war to his south against Dauphine. I told you...the Empire is broken up with the death of this Werner and the time is ripe for a plucking.”

Arthur held to his wife, “Did Lord Payen send you this word?”

“No,” she quickly answered, “In truth, it was your man Lord Mayor Andrew. A cagey fellow, but in the know. I have my own spies, but his are better.”

Turning to Amedee, the King held question, “What can this mean? Have I lost chance to best my enemy? And what does Lord Payen play at? You know him better than I! What does he do?!”

“The better question, Arthur...” Aveline stood strong, “...is how have you allowed this to happen? I thought that we were in agreement. Conquer from within. Is that not what your Lord here says? Yet you move off to war and in a mere year’s time, this is what we see!”

“My Lady...begging your pardon...” Amedee shifted to pick up the King’s ale and handed it to him, “...you do not quite understand my theory. You do well here to bring us this news, but there is no bad thing about it.”

Arthur still did not drink as he looked to Amedee with shock, “Lord Payen abrogates his responsibility and that is no bad thing?!”

The Duke looked to Queen Aveline and allowed her a smirk as he turned once more to the King, “I know that you think to have missed your chance, monsieur. It matters not. The man is dead. Worry over him no more. Yet what is left? Lord Payen saw it. He makes his move. If what your Lady Queen says is true, then the Empire is torn asunder. Small bits and pieces all working for themselves. You have your own play here. Galloway is taken...and we shall return to Ireland and Scotland...yet what chance this gives us!”

“Scotland!” Aveline stated as loud as she might, “For my son! That is the goal. This other is no thing but...”

Arthur turned to her with a less than kind eye, “I will care for our son! Make no mistake. Yet you should find silence at the now! My Lord speaks it true. This is an excellent opportunity.”

“What?!” Aveline showed question with shock, “You now think to war on the continent? Leave England once again? Mayhap find your end just as your father did?!”

“My Lady...” Arthur grinned, “...I did not know that you cared so much.”

Aveline pulled her skirt to her as she moved towards the door, “I do not! Yet Arthur is naught but six! He is not yet ready!! If you wish to be a fool then do it on your own time! I need it not...the realm needs it not!”

She slammed the door behind her and Arthur turned to his Lord Marshal with a raised brow, “She has spirit if no thing other.”

“Again, monsieur...she is not wrong,” Amedee stood with arms folded, “To question Lord Payen...and the matter with the Emperor has our man Andrew’s hands all over it...and the realm. We have just won one war. Are you ready to fight another? Are we?”

Arthur finally took his drink all in one go and then placed the cup aside, “My father once told me...it is a large realm with enemies on all sides. If I am to be King of these many realms, then I must attend to them each. I cannot hold things personally. It is a matter of governing and taking chance where it shows itself. My father showed that...my great-grandmother. I say it again...a great opportunity.”

“So you do not hold it personal that you were not able to kill this bastard of Germany?” Amedee queried.

The King turned to him with a stern eye, “I shall never forget that. I wished my sword in his belly and desired the look of shock upon his face. Yet time races fast. He is dead and chance is before us. Payen saw it and moved. I think to do the same.”

“So...” Amedee showed a slight grin, “...where shall we go?”

Arthur thought on it and moved back to pour two drinks. He finally handed one to his Duke and then grinned himself, “Our Lord Adam of Flanders holds great claim on Boulogne. If my Lady wife is true, then the German cat is away in the Empire. What better place for the mice to play?”

“Are we the mice?” Amedee showed a larger grin.

“No, my friend...” Arthur took another drink and smiled, “...we are the lion. Let all who stand tremble before us.”

Amedee quickly finished his ale and sat his cup aside, “Then I shall call the banners once more.”

“Leave no thing to chance!” Arthur was now certain, “Call up my cousin to Norfolk...York and Lancaster...everything to France! You know this drill for we have been there before. Time is of the essence and strength plays!”

The Duke moved towards the door but turned back with a grin, “You do realize that you need not tell me all of that?”

“I am angry, monsieur!” Arthur stated with furrowed brow, “I want it done and I want it done quick. I was to kill him and now that such has been robbed from me...I will take the scraps.”

Amedee kept his grin, “Boulogne is no scrap.”

“No...it is not,” the King agreed as he moved for another drink, “It is just one more piece. When I am done...”

“Let us not get too ahead of ourselves, Your Grace,” Amedee held his hand to the door, “One scrap at a time. And in time...you will find your satisfaction.”

As he left, Arthur held his cup in hand and stared at the drink. It would always be personal, and he was not done with the north or Ireland...but yes. Some satisfaction. And some day...he was certain that he would see so much more. Yet he would never hold his hands around Werner’s neck. Never get the chance to bury his blade into Werner’s stomach. That God damned grin! He knew that it would eat at his mind for the rest of his life but by God...he was going to take something from this!

End of Chapter 2

This looks like a very good opportunity, but the sort of opportunities that hide many perils.

But wasn’t this plot to kill Werner sanctioned by him? Or is it something ‘freelanced’ by a supporter or fellow enemy of Werner’s? The “Arthur Wessex sends his regards” message (a nice touch, Godfather, with all respect ;) ) had no masking purpose to a dying man ...

In any case, that was a spectacular explosion of the HRE: I wonder if it will coalesce again or if this is its death knell as a unified bloc. Good thing those horse lords to the east turned Christian! Plenty there for Arthur to nibble away at, anyway.

Fb-fb:

Arthur did not seem to take it well that he lost his chance of revenge on the German Emperor. Now he must go after the scraps now and without the proper preparations and at the determinant of other goals.
I will talk more about it below, nut you have that right. I wanted to go after the HRE again at a time of my choosing but this was too good an opportunity to pass up. They are usually able to reform fairly quickly so I had to act fast. Arthur wanting to kill Werner himself is made up but true enough for the character.

This looks like a very good opportunity, but the sort of opportunities that hide many perils.
You never know what might happen. Look what happened to Ælfstan the last time we warred with the HRE.

But wasn’t this plot to kill Werner sanctioned by him? Or is it something ‘freelanced’ by a supporter or fellow enemy of Werner’s? The “Arthur Wessex sends his regards” message (a nice touch, Godfather, with all respect ;) ) had no masking purpose to a dying man ...

In any case, that was a spectacular explosion of the HRE: I wonder if it will coalesce again or if this is its death knell as a unified bloc. Good thing those horse lords to the east turned Christian! Plenty there for Arthur to nibble away at, anyway.
To answer your question, yes and no. I did indeed initially resume to plot to kill Werner when Arthur became King but I stopped it when I decided to go after Gilbride instead. While I have it as an assassination, truthfully he just up and died. That was just too boring so I edited that a bit. ;) I think freelance is the best way to think about it with a couple of the privy council now in the know (thus that scene between Payen and Mayor Andrew.) I could not resist that last line but wanted to make it my own rather than copy what has been done before.

And yes, the HRE just blew right the hell up and it was a wonderful sight, I don't mind telling you. :D Boulogne has been such a bete noir of mine for so long, I had to jump at it. In fact, I had already tried once before but that war ended inconclusively when the Emperor changed to Werner back in the day. I was not about to let that happen again.

To all - Wow! I can't believe I am already at the end of chapter 2. Guess that is what happens when you move fast and include a couple of scenes per post. I hope it flows well. Check for the start of chapter 3 and the latest HRE war tomorrow. And I'd say RIP Werner but like Arthur, I hated the SOB for what he did to Ælfstan. Even if Arthur does not like the how of it, I think we both think good riddance. :D

Thank you for your awesome comments and following along as best you can with my continued speedy schedule. :)

Chapter 3

The Song of Wessex

Melun Castle – December 1299

The great hall at Melun had been converted into a makeshift war room. The King stood with many around him as Lord Amedee offered a progress report of the war thus far. Arthur and his soldiers had landed in Rouen by October and made quick progress south, and thus far there had been no great response from the new child Emperor. Yet this was not the only trouble to be watched as the Lord Payen remained at war with Dauphine to his south and a new actor had entered the scene.

“You Grace...” Amedee pointed to the map, “...Lord Theobald has Boulogne to siege as we speak and it goes well. He still holds nearly six thousand under his command and we have no reports of any force that size near to him at the now.”

Arthur gave nod, “That is good. Yet what of my brother by law to Upper Burgundy? Or that idiot of Champagne?”

“While they do remain beholden to this Emperor, neither raises their levies at the now,” Amedee answered with a smile.

Etienne de Pleshy spoke up, “If you wish it, Your Grace...I would be most happy to travel to Reims and shake the tree of House Scarponnais. See if we might roust him from his slumber!”

“Your excitement is commendable, sir,” Arthur grinned, “Yet I think to need you here with me for the now.”

Etienne returned the grin with a bow and the King looked back to the map, “Yet here, my Lord...this shows another force to Champagne. If this be not Sieghard, then who are they?”

“While the Empire is scattered, Your Grace...” Amedee answered quickly, “...we must be mindful. Even those that do not yet bend the knee to this young Emperor remain prideful of their lands. That number, I believe, is the Archbishop of Trier. It is unclear if he means to travel to our lands or south to assist the breakaway Dauphine, but his number should hold no issue for us. We are fifteen thousand strong and his number is but a pittance.”

“And Payen still finds his trouble,” the King gave nod as he looked to the lands of his Lord Chancellor.

Amedee replied as he traced his finger towards Dijon, “There was some luck made early by our Lord Payen, but it is said that over ten thousand have put paid to his dreams. These are the forces of Duke Guntram out of Austria in the east and while it is unclear if this German Duke desires Dauphine for himself or merely to provide a thorn to our side, we should take stock of this army.”

“I would rather be to Julich, my Lord Marshal,” Arthur showed a serious eye to his friend.

Lord Amedee gave nod in understanding, “My sentiments entirely, Your Grace...have this thing done and quickly. Yet you must remember our last war with these peoples. Vast reserves even if splintered. Every army we attack means less that they might bring to bear. And while Lord Payen might not be deserving of your generosity at the moment, this should be considered a front in our war.”

“Lord Payen remains in our good grace...for the now,” Arthur frowned, “He will be dealt with in time. Yet I like not taking our force so far to the south.”

“Understood, Your Grace,” the Marshal looked to Arthur with a keen eye, “Yet we know not what force this young Bruno may build. Better to see the enemy that we face so that we may plan for it and...here is an enemy here. Best use the army we have than sit idle and wait here to Melun. And if we may strike a telling blow to these Austrians, Lord Payen may yet remain in the fight.”

Arthur finally offered his nod, “You make a fine point, Lord Amedee. Then I suppose we shall all soon be to Burgundy.”

As he spoke, the doors to the hall opened and the Lady of Anjou entered and moved to the King, “Your Grace...I am sorry to disturb, yet I bring news.”

Arthur turned and smiled at his cousin, “Lady Emma...a bright light in our dark world. You could never disturb.”

“A moment, Your Grace?” Emma gestured to him and the King went to her to speak in private.

“What is it, cousin?”

Emma produced a letter and handed it over, “Word comes to me from York, Your Grace. The Lord Lionel there tells me that his cousin has passed.”

“That is sad word,” Arthur took the letter and began to read, “Which cousin, I wonder.”

“You will see soon enough,” she offered, “Yet it is the Earl in Gwynedd.”

Arthur showed mixed emotions as he looked to her with a slight glint in his eye, “Your vast correspondence never ceases to impress, cousin. It is good that you were here with me at this time.”

“Not much of a Christmas court, is it?” Emma offered a consoling eye.

“On the contrary, cousin,” Arthur answered with sweetness, “I’ve an enemy to best...and I get to see you. And now...I’ve a present to bestow, even with this poor news.”

Emma gave the King a slight bow of the head, “Your favorite thing to do...cousin.”

The King leaned in to kiss her cheek and then turned to the others and shouted, “Anselm of House Belle-mains? To me!”

The King’s squire stood next to Etienne and presented himself quickly, “Your Grace? Shall I prepare your things?”

“I am afraid that I have news for you, Ans,” Arthur put a hand to the young man’s shoulder, “Your ailing father, the Earl...he has passed. I am sorry.”

“Your Grace?” Anselm looked to him with sad eyes and question.

Arthur stepped closer, “Word comes from your cousin to York. It was gentle and not painful, Lord Lionel suggests. Earl Ralph has been ill at ease for some time.”

“Father...” Anselm looked to the stone floor with sorrow.

“I share in your grief, Ans. Yet he was wise when he placed you with me. He knew well that you would not only serve the crown, but you would serve the man and you have done no thing other,” Arthur kept hold to him as he looked to the men crowded around, “Lord Amedee...my sword, if you please?”

The Lord Marshal was quick to respond and handed it over. The King looked back to his squire and gave him a serious eye, “Anselm of House Belle-mains...I would ask you to kneel.”

He did as requested and kept his head low as Arthur stood before him and tapped his shoulders lightly with the blade, “Squire no more, sir! You are now my man full and true and named my Earl of Gwynedd! Rise sir, and join me in this fight as a true knight of the realm. I can think of few men I would rather have by my side!”

There were some cheers and Anselm stood slowly, “Your Grace...you know that I would never fail you!”

“You need not tell me, friend,” Arthur leaned in to whisper, “And Tienne is going to be rather jealous so be kind to him.”

However, it was Etienne de Pleshy that was the first to Anselm with a grin as the King stood back and gestured for congratulations, “I suppose I have to call you sir now, you right bastard!”

Anselm showed a reddened face in embarrassment as many others gathered round him to slap his shoulders and King Arthur looked to them all, “My Lords...we have a new one among us. And we now know our destination. We should not tarry. Let us pray for the late Lord Ralph and all of us go forward in the light of Christ. The Empire is born of the devil and north to south...east to west...we will drive the great beast from these lands!”

The hall erupted into cheers and Arthur turned to grin at his cousin Lady Emma before looking back again, “To Burgundy, sirs! And beyond!”

Lyon, France - March 1300

“My Lord Payen!!” Arthur shouted as the soldiers regrouped and straggled in.

Duke Payen III of Burgundy at first tried to ignore it but could not when Duke Amedee of Bourbon got into his face, “His Grace requests your presence!”

Horse and men both mingled around and all filthy as he moved to get away from the Lord Marshal, but the new Earl of Gwynedd stepped to him, “He would see you in his tent...my Lord.”

“I am on my way!” Payen announced with irritation as he handed off the reins to his mount, “You need not press. We have just won a battle, sir!”

As he stormed off, Anselm found Amedee, “A battle won, my Lord. Another not yet fought.”

Payen trudged through the mud until he found the King’s tent and saw Etienne de Pleshy outside, “I am told that His Grace wishes my presence!”

“Oh...he does, my Lord,” Etienne showed a grin, “You will find him within.”

Ducking under the flap, the Burgundian Duke found Arthur still in his dirtied armor and studying a map. He cleared his throat as he gave bow and the King turned with a smile, “Ah...my Lord Payen. So you did hear me after all. Good. I would have preferred our private audience earlier but we did have a battle to attend to, did we not?”

“That is true, Your Grace,” Payen replied with some nervousness, “And most grateful were we when you arrived. It turned the tide.”

Arthur moved to pour them both some ale, “I hope it so. You now have your chance here to Dauphine and this Duke Guntram will bother you no more.”

“I admit...it did surprise me when they moved so far west so quickly,” Payen took his offered cup, “Very nearly scattered my armies to the winds.”

Arthur took a drink and then smiled once more, “You may thank our Lord Amedee for your rescue. It was his idea.”

“And you have brought me fresh men from Dijon, Your Grace,” Lord Payen followed with appreciation, “I can never repay you this kindness.”

“No...” the King replied tersely as he turned back to his maps, “...I do not think that you can.”

Payen hesitated and then finally stepped to Arthur, “Your Grace...I meant you no ill respect. There was chance here and I took it. For you...for the realm.”

“I think not for me, my Lord,” Arthur answered without looking to him, “Mayhap for your realm...but you do know my wishes when it comes to the Empire.”

“I do, sire!” Payen made his plea, “And here was chance to take some ground before this child gains his full place. You recognized it as well. After all...you are here.”

Arthur finally turned and raised a brow, “I was to war in the north, my Lord. We had found our victory and I would have liked to have discussed this fully before you took part in such an adventure. You did not leave me much choice.”

“I had not the time, Your Grace,” Payen suggested, “When the news of Werner’s death came to Westminster, I knew that I must travel with all speed. Just because the son is a minor does not change the fact that there are many at the Imperial court able to pull these wayward Princes back together. I had need to move with haste.”

With another drink, Arthur showed a scowl, “Too hasty, my Lord. I do not blame you entirely, for surely some other placed a notion to your mind, yet you remain my Lord Chancellor at the now and it is your role to be my chief counsel. That is difficult for you to do when you are so many leagues away from my person.”

“There was no other notion, Your Grace,” the Lord stood firm, “Merely a chance to take for Burgundy...for France and the realm.”

Arthur held his eye for a time as he perused the Duke’s face and then turned back to his maps, “Well...a topic for another time, my Lord Chancellor. At the now, I look to where we are. Lord Amedee provides us with good numbers and it seems that there are nearly four thousand Savoyard and Imperial soldiers to the east. Since we are to the south, we might as well meet with them. It would be rude not to.”

“I...I am sorry, Your Grace,” Payen replied with some sincerity.

“For what, my Lord?” Arthur turned back with question, “For what do you find apology?”

Payen blushed with embarrassment, “I know you wish to be at Julich...or anywhere close to there, sire. I know that the siege to Boulogne goes well and you would desire to be near in support. I have caused you hardship.”

“Indeed you have, my Lord Payen...” Arthur replied quickly as he looked once more the maps, “...yet now is not the time for recriminations. I have a war on and as our Lord Amedee might say...you fight where the true battle is and where you hold the best ground. Right now, I think to travel to Savoy and take it to these men of the Empire.”

“Would you wish me to your side, sire?” Payen asked.

Arthur turned to him once more with a smile, “Oh no...no, no. You stay here. After all...here is your chance, my Lord. I shall leave your men of Dijon here with you and see what you might make of it. Bon chance, monsieur.”

“Are you certain, Your...” Payen began to ask before the King turned away once more and cut him off.

“You may go, my Lord. Best begin your preparations for a good long siege. I shall see you soon enough. We shall then speak again.”

I think the phrase "Giving him enough rope ..." may be appropriate

Arthur seems to almost relax in the business of war. It is as if he finds it simpler.

Fb-fb:

So far the war appears to be going Arthur's way. There seemed to be a few hidden tones when it came to the meeting between Arthur and Payen. I wonder what awaits Payen when the wars are over.
Let's just say that Lord Payen did himself no favors by jumping on Dauphine. There are other reasons that I brought this into it, but that fact made it much easier to explain.

I think the phrase "Giving him enough rope ..." may be appropriate

Arthur seems to almost relax in the business of war. It is as if he finds it simpler.
That's exactly what Arthur has in mind for Payen. As for the King and war, it would seem that way, wouldn't it? You will see that he is off to war often and everywhere. I am waiting to see who figures out what I am doing first. ;)

To all - Next scene comes tomorrow. The start of the 2nd HRE war seemed a good spot to move into chapter three and we'll really start to see the meat of it coming soon. Thaks for the comments, every time!

That Battle of Lyon was a true slaughter: was there some specific factor at play that led to the entire enemy force being destroyed to a man and not some at least fleeing? Anselm is a very accomplished commander: looks like he has plenty of ‘wet work’ before him!

Hmmm. 6 pages behind, and technically an AAR behind too! :p

Fb-fb:

That Battle of Lyon was a true slaughter: was there some specific factor at play that led to the entire enemy force being destroyed to a man and not some at least fleeing? Anselm is a very accomplished commander: looks like he has plenty of ‘wet work’ before him!
I'm not schooled enough to know exactly how the wars are calculated, but I suspect it had something to do with a one-two punch move. Payen was already fighting the Austrians evenly when Arthur arrived soon after and after that it was a rout. Not sure that the Austrian Duke was much of a commander either. However, Anselm indeed is (as is Etienne - I just have not had chance or need to use him yet.) I included both of them into the narrative because they will become quite important in Arthur's future wars.

Hmmm. 6 pages behind, and technically an AAR behind too! :p
No shame in that, sir. Read when you can. Thanks for popping in and hopefully someday you'll have chance to get completely caught up. I mean...I have to finish someday, right? ;)

To all - Next scene follows. I decided one was sufficient this time around. :)

Last edited:

The Song of Wessex

Melun Castle – October 1300

For six months, King Arthur and his army had marched all throughout Savoy and Upper Burgundy winning battle after battle. Twice in Ciamberi...Saint-Imier...Nyon...even to Habsburg in Argau. The meager Imperial forces were no match for his well trained and experienced soldiers and the victories came easily. Yet with all of that, Arthur still wished to be north and pressing his claim directly to the boy Emperor in Julich. Finally by September, he decided that the time was right. The King and his Lord Marshal Duke Amedee began the march north towards the Imperial capital and when they reached Verdun, Arthur took some few choice men and his trusty friend Etienne to make a brief visit to Melun.

When he arrived, it was with great pleasure to find his cousin Lady Emma there. It had never been made official, but the Duchess of Anjou many times acted as his de facto regent in France when the King was either in England or off to war. She was especially needed now that his Lord Chancellor remained south fighting his own war and a realm as vast as his required many guiding hands. Emma had made ready the royal chambers when she was notified that he would be arriving and was the first to greet the King when Arthur finally pulled his weary courser to a stop.

“My God...you are filthy, sir!” Lady Emma smiled as she moved to her cousin.

Arthur handed off his reins and returned the smile, “You would be too if you had seen the roads I’ve been on. You should thank Our Lord that you are a woman, my Lady. I do not think that you could go without a bath for as long as I have.”

“Then I shant hug you...” Emma grinned before offering a bow, “...my liege.”

“Your Grace,” Etienne de Pleshy moved beside the King, “Shall I have a bath drawn for you?”

Arthur shook his head, “No need, Tienne. We will not stay here long. Quarter the horses for the night as we leave on the morrow to Julich.”

“So soon, cousin?” Emma questioned.

“There is not a moment to waste,” Arthur answered as he held out an arm towards the castle, “I come merely to collect some letters and be apprised of what happens while I was to the south.”

Emma pulled her skirts to her as she followed the King through the mud and into the castle, “Then how goes it? From my last hearing, you’ve had quite the grand time in Savoy. I’ve always wished to visit there. Was it nice?”

“I would trade those mountains for the fens in Lincoln any day, cousin,” the King kept a steady pace to the solar at Melun, “Hard treks all and it taxed my men at every step.”

“Yet you have found your victories,” Emma suggested with a smile.

Arthur grinned at her, “Of course. Would you expect any less of me?”

“If you are not careful, then you shall wind up like your father,” Emma chided as much as she teased.

Arthur gave a firm nod, “A man could ask for no less. It takes risk and if I am to ask my men to do these things, then I will be the one that leads them.”

“I should also...” Emma paused before they entered the solar, “...tell you something else. The Queen is here.”

The King showed surprise, “Aveline? Why ever for?”

“You would need to ask of her that yourself, Your Grace,” Emma grinned, “She waits within.”

Without a beat, Arthur opened the door to find his wife looking out the windows with her back turned. Hearing the noise, Aveline spun and showed no smile, “You do take your time.”

“And for a Lady that likes me so little, you do seem to follow wherever I go,” Arthur moved to her and offered the smallest of kisses to her cheek.

Lady Emma seemed slightly embarrassed, “Shall I leave the two of you?”

“Yes...” Aveline started to say but the King stopped her.

“I think not, cousin. We’ve not seen each other in some time and I be certain that my Lady wife will not mind.”

Queen Aveline and Lady Emma were not friends, though they were cordial to one another. In response, Aveline merely dipped her head, “As you wish it, husband. If you wish her to know all, then I cannot stop you.”

“Know all?” Arthur asked as he moved to pour himself some hard won ale, “What is there to know? And why are you here? Who sees to the children?”

Aveline followed him with her eyes, “They have their households and I have left little Eadward with Sir Mark and Arthur. I had need to speak with you and outside of our few letters.”

After a hefty pull of his ale, Arthur then turned and looked to his wife with a stern eye, “Ava...Boulogne finally falls to us and I am on my way to Julich. I send Amedee and Anselm ahead of me, but we are soon to press this peace and I have not the time to...”

“The plot is out!” Aveline held her hands behind her back and announced without care that Emma overheard.

Arthur first looked to his cousin and then back to his wife, “What do you mean?!”

“You have a snake in your grass, Arthur,” Aveline spoke bluntly.

“Plot?” Emma questioned with confusion, “What plot?”

Aveline showed a catty eye as she looked to the Duchess, “It matters not at this late date for all the world would know it. Your cousin...my husband...has plotted to see the eldest Prince of Scotland gone from us forever.”

“Now see here...” Arthur began to speak but Emma looked to him with some shock.

“Cousin...is this true?”

The King finished his ale and then turned to her with certainty, “I’ll not lie to you, Em. Yes. The Prince Gilbride of Scotland stands in the way of the future. My wife know this, especially as it was her bloody idea!”

Emma questioned again with her eyes as she remained silent for a time before finally responding, “Your acts of war are understandable, cousin. This be something different. What is it that you hope to gain?”

“A throne, my Lady,” Aveline was quick to reply, “Scotland has a Queen and this Gilbride stands between that and my son.”

“My God!” Emma showed shock once more as she stepped to the King, “The Prince remains young and who knows if he will ever even marry this girl Maud? I see the play, cousin. I just did not think you that type of actor.”

“I know that you are not that naive, Em,” Arthur answered clearly, “I am my father’s son and he was known as wise. How do you think we gained the throne of France?”

Emma stood back, “The young King...an accident.”

“Not so accidental, my Lady,” Aveline crossed the room and poured herself some ale, “Rather convenient, I’d say.”

When Arthur nodded his head, Emma was shocked, “I am not certain what I am hearing! Who else knows of this?”

Aveline turned with a slight grin, “Everyone with ears, Lady Emma. Rumor follows my husband’s House like ducklings to their mother. This latest was to be a secret...and now it is not.”

“Few did know of it...” Arthur ignored his wife, “...of this latest. The question is...who spoke out?”

“You speak as if this is commonplace,” Emma replied with some scorn, “The murder of a Prince is no common thing!”

Aveline widened her grin, “It is your family too, my Lady. Have you not looked back? Do you think that the House of Wessex stands strong on moral principles? Is that how they regained the throne so many years ago? The crown of England...the crown of France...they are gained by blood. And so too shall be Scotland!”

The King was not ashamed when he looked to his cousin and nodded, “It is a harsh reality, cousin. Yet it is the truth. I do not care for it myself, but I fight a war with an Empire. Not just this, but long standing. My father had his dream for France. Mine is larger than that. I am a King, yet what I wish to build is something far grander than that. That is the only way.”

“Retribution?” Emma questioned, “Is that all that matters?”

Arthur stepped to her and held to Emma’s hand, “When I wake every morning, I see the face of a man. His throat is clogged with dirt and his white beard caked in mud. That man was my father and I know how he died. I know why. I have never made question what it is that I do. We shall be strong and be in position ever more to thwart this Empire that I fight right now. Every bit of power or prestige that I gain is for that sole purpose.”

“Your Grace...” Emma backed away suddenly feeling a shiver down her spine, “...I...understand.”

“Good!” Aveline moved to step between them, “Then perhaps you would give me some moment with my husband. We have much to discuss.”

Emma did as suggested but held eyes with Arthur as she left the solar. It was a change in their relationship and one he regretted, but he would not change his focus now. As the chamber door shut, the Queen stood before her husband with a frown, “So...still happy to let your little dove hear all?”

“You’ve no need to be jealous,” Arthur answered with contempt.

Aveline grinned, “Who is jealous? She is your cousin that you dote upon. I am merely your wife.”

“A true wife might have handled that differently,” Arthur turned away to pour more ale.

“Hmm!” Aveline laughed, “A true wife has given you three children and would allow for more. This wife comes to tell you that you have a problem. We have a problem.”

Arthur looked to the ale as it poured, “Who spoke it?”

“Who can say?” Aveline moved behind him, “It was only you, me and your master of spies that was aware.”

“There were others,” Arthur suggested.

Aveline brushed at his back, “True...although I doubt your Lord Amedee has had much chance to spread rumor. You do keep him tasked.”

“It was not Amedee!” Arthur turned to her with irritation.

“Then who else knew?” Aveline pressed against him, “Mayhap your Lord Chancellor that ran as fast as he might to Burgundy once his chance presented itself?”

Arthur felt her touch and softened, “Lord Payen? You think he has an ulterior motive?”

“I don’t know, Arthur,” she kissed at his chin, “Yet it is awfully strange that he makes his move at the now...with the death of Werner von Oldenburg. I do not think that you should trust him. I think not think that he holds the realm first in his thoughts.”

“You don’t like me,” Arthur did not move but spoke softly to his wife.

Aveline kissed his chin once more, “No...I don’t. Yet you are my King...and my husband. As much as you will not rest, neither shall I. We have our children’s future to consider.”

“You are a temptress,” Arthur moved his mouth closer to hers.

She held close as well, “Yes...I am. I have reason to be.”

“Our son...” Arthur spoke softly.

Aveline brushed his lips with hers, “The realm.”

Trying to resist the urge, Arthur pulled his head back, “I am fighting a war. Can you not handle this?”

“Oh, Arthur...” Aveline pressed closer with a grin, “...I am. Your Lord Payen must be out...and this Gilbride will find his time. I will seek out this leak...and you will win your war. Our son will be King of Scotland...and we will both be happy.”

Arthur pulled up a hand to hold her face, “You came here just to tell me that?”

“Never, husband...” Aveline kissed him deep and then backed her head away, “...I came here to do what we do best. In your wars, you have forgotten that it is our time to meet. Your father always did say...you know how to fill my belly.”

This is another of those acts between Arthur and Aveline ... and Emma, I think, counts as collateral damage or something. Mind you, I am surprised any child of Wessex has managed to avoid hearing any of the rumours that no doubt swirl about that House.

Emma sure got a rude awakening into the inner workings of the House of Wessex. I wonder after the dust has settled and she has had time to absorb the information how it will affect her relationship with Arthur. Between Arthur and Aveline as to who is truly in control of their marriage and at times the realm. The two are formidable team and one that you do not want to be on their bad side.

Fb-fb:

This is another of those acts between Arthur and Aveline ... and Emma, I think, counts as collateral damage or something. Mind you, I am surprised any child of Wessex has managed to avoid hearing any of the rumours that no doubt swirl about that House.
Emma perhaps thinks them a thing of the past and certainly did with Arthur...until this. I did not need to include the Duchess here but found it a more interesting way to get out that the plot has been discovered and I make some great use of it going forward. As for the King and his Queen...it is getting to where I am never quite sure how their scenes will end up. I know the info they need to discuss and then they just take over i their own way.

Emma sure got a rude awakening into the inner workings of the House of Wessex. I wonder after the dust has settled and she has had time to absorb the information how it will affect her relationship with Arthur. Between Arthur and Aveline as to who is truly in control of their marriage and at times the realm. The two are formidable team and one that you do not want to be on their bad side.
I would certainly agree on that last part. As for who is in control of the marriage, I tend to think Aveline. Then again, Arthur does not leave her much chance as he is away so often. I write them with shades of Henry II and Eleanor of Aquitaine but they are both different from those real life counterparts. As for Emma - you will surely find out.

To all - If it seems odd that Aveline keeps showing up when Arthur is off at war, it is simple - I need her to. As much as she hates Arthur, she keeps having children. And he is at war a lot. Now, I could go down a lover route where these children are illegitimate but I don't want to. This is more interesting to me and allows shades to their relationship. And again with Emma - I did not need her there but decided it was best for the story. You will see why soon enough.

Thanks for reading and your always great comments. Check back tomorrow for the next scene.

Man, I keep saying this, but your speed at updating...:p I keep getting my bad conscience upped. ;) Great few chapters though, and poor Emma. I did think her a master of webs and intrigue in hiding though. This seems to counter that.

Emma needed to be hardened up if she is going to be a serious player at the highest level of the Wessex organisation - and it has been done. She needs to check her scruples at the door, sadly but certainly. Aveline may be a bit a bit thorny, but some stuff she just gets.