• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
that's the price one pays for being a genius at what one does ;)

Yeah I just hope Welf and the Kaiser live long lives even though they're always out banging steel together.

DensleyBlair said:
The reason I never go on crusade as a vassal - if I'm not a member of the council, I'll be leading troops against sme bloody rebelling vassal. This is especially annoying if I've just forked out 100 gold and then 75 per month on a navy to get there. Sometimes I go and then just give my guy the trait with a cheat, but it's not the same...

Yeah it is bad when Crusading as a vassal. I have a few times though just because it was Sicily...but so far in this game as the Welfs I don't think I've done a Crusade yet. Not that I remember anyways. Just seems rather pointless really.

Chapter IV - The Fall of the von Wittelsbachs

Chapter IV - The Fall of the von Wittelsbachs

As the lords of Bavaria slowly march their way towards Munchen to muster before their march to Niederbayern to pay Count Otto von Wittelsbach a visit. My personal guard sworn to the Kaiser begins our arduous march through Carinthia and into Italy to meet the rebel lords of the Italian peninsula lead by Doge Gentile I of Pisa.

But before we get into any of that with the rebellion of my former Marshal I should mention and show what my Council now looks like, for it is something I sort of spaced out when I began writing in this Holy Book of Welf.

2012-12-15_00024thenewcouncil_zps30f0dd39.jpg

The Imperial Regiment under my command meets the Doge's in battle in Monferrato and after a few weeks of skirmishes we meet in a pitched battle. My numbers outweighed theirs from the beginning and victory was of course written in the heavens. It would be the first of many battles against the Pisan League of Independence, but a battle the Kaiser would surely be most proud of.

In fact this battle would once more prove my amazing martial talents to the whole of the Holy Roman Empire, for I once more improved my skills.

2012-12-15_00027_zps8e7f2eb8.jpg

From that day forward I would be known as an unpredictable leader. The enemies would never know what kind of new tactic I would decide to play out on the battlefield. I learned from that book I was given but a year ago, and took the Great Alexander's military ideas to heart and decided it was best to improvise rather than to plan every minute detail of a battle. Because as any true commander knows all plans are destroyed once swords clash and blood flows.

Meanwhile, I receive welcoming news that my dearest Father Duke Alberto II Azzo d'Este of Lombardy pledged his support against my traitorous vassal as well as the Duke of Bohemia Vratislav II Premyslid. I was wondering why on God's grand Earth that the Duke of Bohemia would come to support us, so I did some research. It would seem my Half-Brother Ugo d'Este, the supposed heir of Lombardy had married Vratislav's daughter Judita Premyslid, therefore making Judita my sister-in-law, tying a loose knot of blood with our powerful Bohemian Duke.

Not that I was complaining the more allies the merrier. And besides the more men involved in crushing rebels may make any future discontented lords think twice before trying the patience of their Welf overlords.

2012-12-15_00030_zps5c73a7e1.jpg

A few months into the Italian campaign laying siege to a few unfortunate communes I was notified that my wife had given birth. I was full of joy at the news, thankful that God had given me what would be Welf the V of our Welf Family.

My dreams were crushed though.

2012-12-15_00031_zpsebab23b0.jpg

A daughter is still better than nothing I suppose, and besides I would be far away from Ethelinde's warm embrace for the foreseeable future, so I send word that her and a retinue of home guards should pack their bags and come join us in Italy. It wasn't meant to be a discomfort to her, but there were so many disgusting camp followers spreading the Pox to my men that it would be nice to have my wife here in my tent before I fell to lustful temptations with one of these stinky whores.

As I sent that request back to Munchen another courier arrived bearing news from my Father Duke Alberto II Azzo, who had made himself Captain of the war in my stead. His letter informed me that the Rebellion had been crushed and that the Lord of Niederbayern Otto von Wittelsbach was in chains and secured in the dungeons of Munchen.

2012-12-15_00032_zps86e646d9.jpg

I reply back to my father informing him to strip this disloyal dog of his lands and estates, and take complete and total possession of them in my name. Obviously the great man my father is, had already anticipated this request. For the Revocation of Count Otto's lands had been done before the letter even arrived in my father's hands.

2012-12-15_00034_zps8ab2d2f9.jpg

Things would calm down a bit, the Pisan League of Independence War would even grind to a standstill as the Kaiser managed to bog himself down in Hungarian Crown politics, trying with all his might to protect King Salamon I Arpad. And me and my wife would spend several months wandering about the Italian countryside with three thousand men, raiding vineyards and harassing Tuscan peasants.

It was a great adventure to be had with my Spymaster/Wife. So much fun in fact that she would discover herself pregnant once more, and upon discovery of this most welcoming news she would return to Bavaria to better keep the unborn child safe in her womb.

2012-12-15_00035_zps1cbab5b5.jpg

With the departure of Ethelinde things became boring once again and I took up residence in Milan while awaiting further instruction from the Kaiser. It really seemed as if zero progress could be made and if the Doge of Pisa had not lost a number of troops at the beginning of the war he probably could have pressed his advantage and won. But some people just are not patient nor grand masters of strategy such as myself.

While in Milan disturbing news was whispered about that Heresy was taking hold in the north, and that the peasants were clamoring for reforms. It seemed the Waldensian Heresy had reared its ugly papal hating head, bringing one to wonder if this was the beginning of the end of days.

2012-12-15_00036_zps5202447d.jpg

I'm sure the Kaiser has a good Chaplain to handle that though. At least I hope, I would hate to see the Empire crumble at the whim of some newly devout Waldensian peasants.

We begin to set off this time for the County of Cremona, to pay a visit to father's vassal the di Cremona family. I'm sure we're wondering why I'm not using our soldiers at the moment, but as I said until the Kaiser decides what is more important to him I'm not about to spill anymore blood.

Once in Cremona I am met by my Chancellor Count Dietpold Rapotonen of Passau. He has quite the smile upon his otherwise solemn face.

"My grace, we have found a distant Welf lineage of which would and should make you the rightful ruler of Osterreich," Dietpold says welcoming me in a brotherly embrace.

2012-12-15_00038_zpsa8522d75.jpg

I can't help myself I also begin smiling. Finally I could potentially expand my realm!!! Finally I would be able to kick out the upstart Dukes of Austria, a sad Duchy to be sure since the current Duke only ruled over one measly poor County.

"But there is a slight problem m'lord," Dietpold hesitated. "The Count of Nurnberg is a relative of the Duke of Austria, and may not be very welcoming to the news of an impending war. We may have to see where his true loyalties lie."

I nod. "My dear Count of Passau, I wasn't sure about you when I arrived but your proving yourself to be the perfect man to make our ambitions come to fruition."

Last edited:
The seeds are sown for success methinks :)

It is looking like success is becoming more and more likely...

A_Dane said:
Sounds like the Welf family is indeed en route to glory :)

We can only hope, but the Duke of Austria does have Bavarian friends who haven't exactly warmed to the presence of the Welfs quite yet...

I may just have to do that. Probably will break from my current standard of one update a day and post a second one tonight perhaps...that is if I'm in a storytelling type of mood of course :)

Chapter V - The von Babenberg Crisis

Chapter V - The von Babenberg Crisis​

Part 1 - The Nurnberg Revolt

Still hanging around in Italy it seems the Kaiser was finally ready to once more engage the Doge of Pisa and the other Rebels as his main forces began to make their way from Hungary, towards the peninsula. While awaiting for my new marching orders once more sitting in Milan, news of my wife's labor reaches me. And once more I would be disappointed.

2012-12-15_00039_zpscff154df.jpg

Now I sadly have two daughters, and have yet to sire a son, a son that would carry the Welf name into the next generation. For a brief second of this agony of only having daughters I kick the idea around of naming her Welfina or Welfa or Welferina or even just plain and simple Disappointment but instead I allow my wife's suggestion of Richenza to stick. It sounded Italian almost which is fitting I suppose, so I leave it at that.

Only a few days after labor my wife once more proves herself as probably the most resourceful Spymaster in the whole of the Holy Roman Empire. For her network of whisperers and intriguers came bearing the news that Count Dietpold Rapotonen had warned us about on his visit to Cremona.

2012-12-15_00040_zps82d09045.jpg

It would seem the nephew of the Duke of Austria, Count Gebhard of Nurnberg was not very happy about me having designs upon his uncle's tiny and mostly insignificant realm. The teenage boy recently coming of age, dares to challenge my authority! He even dares to plot to lay claim to all of Bavaria. I almost was willing to chalk this up to mere youthful folly. I mean a boy who knows next to nothing of politics should exactly be held accountable for such a stupidly ill-timed treason.

2012-12-15_00040countgebhardvonnurnberg_zpsbbec006a.jpg

I wander off to my Father's court deep in thought seeking his advice on this matter. Once again me and the elderly Alberto Azzo sit up all night discussing matters of state. And ultimately come to the conclusion that this seems a youthful folly from the outside, but upon looking deeper it becomes obvious that the decision was not made by the young 16 year old Gebhard, but rather his father, the brother to the Duke of Austria, Gebhart von Babenberg.

It is then that my father decides he will muster his Lombard men once more and once more strike out towards Bavaria in defense of my realm while I sit waiting for he Kaiser to give me my latest orders. And with Duke Alberto Azzo goes my orders to my wife, and Marshal, to attempt to arrest this young traitor so that we may question him to see how far this treason truly runs.

2012-12-15_00041_zps4346022e.jpg

Weeks pass and finally word comes informing us that Gebhard fled much as the Wittelsbach coward. And had raised his levies in what would be known as the 2nd Revolt against the Rule of Welf Welf.

Meanwhile, my men are marching towards Pisa to hopefully put an end to the Kaiser's own Civil War. During the march my head fills with thoughts and ill forebodings, as it slowly began to dawn on me that perhaps I would never get the chance to expand Bavaria at all. I began to see that no matter how much I tried to expand the glory of my house my very own vassals would do everything in their power to try and curb my growing power. The thought was quite disturbing. Almost made me wish I had extinguished each and every noble house in Bavaria when I first arrived in Munchen several years ago.

But perhaps where the quelling of the von Wittelsbach Rebellion failed, this one would resonate. Perhaps my decisions on how to go about this treason would remind all of the Bavarian nobility of the sad and most disgusting fate that will await their families should they ever revolt against my god-given rights as their liege lord.

Speaking of which Kaiser Heinrich IV Salian was making his own impression on traitorous vassals. He used my detachments as a gimmick to confuse the main armies of Gentile. For as the Doge of Pisa tried to maneuver his men around to go and defend Pisa the Kaiser caught him from the rear. The rich republican didn't even see it coming, as the Kaiser's men bore down upon him so fast that he was captured almost immediately, and thereby more or less ending the war right then and there.

2012-12-15_00046_zpsd1943458.jpg

After the capture of Gentile d'Appiano, the Kaiser released my levies from service and we began our long march back to Bavaria, where with luck we would be right on time to fight this youthful count. However it would seem our Lord had some other destiny planned.

2012-12-15_00048_zps7de15c4f.jpg

Last edited:
I've never had anyone meaningful pop up in those events - it's always nice to end a war early :)

Hopefully people will be more accepting of your rule now.

I've never had anyone meaningful pop up in those events - it's always nice to end a war early :)

Hopefully people will be more accepting of your rule now.

Seems to usually be someone fairly useful for me. Guess its luck ;) Was playing as the d'Este a while back and nailed the Kaiser through one of those events, I was pretty impressed.

But yes, I think Welf's vassals may think twice about treason after finding how mutilated the young von Babenberg's was. As far as ending a war early though, well..........

Seems to usually be someone fairly useful for me. Guess its luck ;) Was playing as the d'Este a while back and nailed the Kaiser through one of those events, I was pretty impressed.

But yes, I think Welf's vassals may think twice about treason after finding how mutilated the young von Babenberg's was. As far as ending a war early though, well..........

That is lucky :)

As for the war, is it one of those ones where the heir comes pre-packaged with an annoying sense of 'no tyranny!'?

That is lucky :)

As for the war, is it one of those ones where the heir comes pre-packaged with an annoying sense of 'no tyranny!'?

Let's just say that the Count's daddy inherited (and he's the brother of the Duke of Austria) and well daddy is most definitely not a happy camper about his son's ill fortune on the battlefield.

Chapter V - The von Babenberg Crisis (part 2)

Chapter V - The von Babenberg Crisis
Part 2 - The Return to Munchen

After a long journey through Northern Italy and on through Carinthia and once more back onto my adopted homeland of Bavaria, I witness not the country that I left behind. The peasants are nowhere to be seen, smoke rising on the horizons. It seems as if the world had somehow turned upside down, and that hell had occupied my lands.

It was then that I began to fret as my forces picked our pace up from a victorious swagger to a anxious trot and then to an all out gallop as our men on horseback quickly began to outpace those on foot. I had thought our war was going well and more or less over when I heard the news that Count Gebhard von Babenberg had been slain in battle. But it appears it only made the situation that much more dire.

We would stop outside an inn somewhere south south east of Munchen which is where the truth of the matter was spilled by the older patrons of the tavern. Supposedly if their rumors were to be believed Count Gebhard having been childless had passed his County on to his Father the now so named Count Gebhardt, confusing I know. Why did he not just add a T unto the of his child's name I will never know but apparently that missing T was tantamount to missing tactics.

2012-12-15_00050_zpsc9c58849.jpg

But alongside this elder Count Gebhardt, would come his brother, the target if you will of mine, the Duke of Austria. This faithful brother, had called his meager forces to muster and road out of Osterreich's main castle intent on rape and pillaging as they road not to meet his father and to the liberation of Nurnberg, no, this Duke was far more intelligent than that. Instead he road his men South into Carinthia and onto the Southern face of the Alps were the Diocese of Trent lay. Once there his men began to siege the holy church of the Prince Bishop of Trent.

Upon hearing these rumors and honestly taken a little aback that I had not witnessed the movements of 350 to 500 troops passing us by mere miles at one point angers the living piss out of me. I start thinking if perhaps I should go liberate Trent or continue the ride to Munchen to help direct the occupation of Nurnberg.

I elect to ride for Munchen. It is about time I pay a visit at least one night to my wife's bedchambers to try and cure the ill all these Welfina's have brought upon my house. And thus we set out once more at the break of dawn, and ride our horses to near exhaustion.

Late that afternoon on the horizon I could see the meager rooftop of my estate, and almost as if the horse realized he was about home to his Stable of choice with pretty mares to chase and play with to his hearts content he sped off towards home, and wouldn't slow or stop or hesitate until he reared up tossing me from the saddle and throwing me upon the dusty road. And then all went black for a bit.

"Welf, Lord Bavaria?" I hear faintly along with a gentle slap of my cheek. "Your grace I know your alive so wake the hell up, God demands it!"

My eyes as if upon command widen even though I'm not comprehending a whole lot I realize a some cleric is hunched over me. "Look at me damn you, your Grace!"

It was then that I finally realized who it was, the fine Bishop of Friesing Giselbert my Chaplain. I shake my head and rub it realizing I'm on a bed apparently in my estate because the room seems familiar. "Chaplain, good lord, what happened?"

"You fell from your valiant steed, my Duke," Giselbert stated matter-of-factly. "In fact you've been unconscious for several days, your lucky your men your were right behind you otherwise...good heavens let us not ponder the dire straights we'd be in if no one had been on the road to save you."

I'm really in all honesty bewildered. I don't even truly recall what had happened. Had it been an assassination attempt? A viper? Or could my horse have just given up on life after that hard ride. I truly have no earthly idea because all I remember is flying and then poof nothing, blackness, and coldness enveloped me.

"Where's Ethelinde?" I ask sitting up in bed as the Bishop brought a chalice of wine over and sat beside me.

"Naturally m'lord, she took herself and her children off to a different location to better watch over them. We all know what would happen to your precious daughters if they were left here in your wake. But I hear she will return soon enough, perhaps this evening."

"Good, I need to make a son," why that's the first thing I thought of upon waking up and getting some wine in me I have no idea, but nevertheless it was. "So-"

"Your grace, I should tell you the Pope has died, and it's a good thing he has," the Chaplain blurted out, changing the subject from me and my wanting to procreate. "Apparently as you traveled through Ravenna, the Cathar Heresy sprung up, and his Holiness Alexander II thought that perhaps you may have had something to do with said heresy, acting upon Kaiser Heinrich's orders or some such thing."

2012-12-15_00051_zps79b860d9.jpg

"What in the hell..."

"Yes, yes, all bad news but luckily for us they elected a Venetian cardinal who really could care less about you my dear Duke. He goes by the name Stephen X and let us all pray you never have to meet that bastard. Or if you do treat him kindly for the sake of the realm, because its been rumored he has been rampaging around Ravenna impaling all of the Cathars."

"And I thought heretics should be burned," I mused to myself.

"Indeed your grace, but it seems our new papa has a taste for impaled sinners."

That more or less ended that conversation thankfully, although it ended with our wonderfully dour Chaplain being ordered to head at once to Rome to go praise all the grand virtues our new Holy Father exudes. And happily enough the night ended in my Spymaster's arms frantically making love to her in hopes of sowing some masculine crops this time.

2012-12-15_00052_zps311d719b.jpg

She apparently got pregnant very very soon after I bedded her that night. Either its a testament to the virility I inherited from Alberto Azzo or this von Nordheim shadow was up to some odd practices while I was gone.

*****Note: I apologize for this rather boring dialogue filled update. I really don't know what got into me tonight just felt like zooming in on one instance of Welf Welf. Tomorrow should bring the conclusion of the Rebellion as I fully intended to do on this update. But you know sometimes the muse doesn't agree and takes you off on some different tangent. So hopefully you all that are reading this don't mind and enjoyed it. The von Babenbergs have not been forgotten.

But I shall warn there is a decent chance during certain times in this AAR I will zoom in to events that need some fleshing out. And at times zoom out, when there's absolutely nothing to really be said.

Last edited:
Donot feel sorry at any point mate ! We are still here and support you ! the Welf legacy shall be preserved !

Did he really fall from a horse?

And you don't need to apologise for the dialogue. I've got no hope of you're having to say sorry :)

Donot feel sorry at any point mate ! We are still here and support you ! the Welf legacy shall be preserved !

Alrighty then my friend I won't feel sorry lol...and thank a for the support. We shall try to preserve the Welf Legacy.

DensleyBlair said:
Did he really fall from a horse?

And you don't need to apologise for the dialogue. I've got no hope of you're having to say sorry

Lol yeah no idea why or how though, it just kind of fell into that little story on accident.

Chapter V - The von Babenberg Crisis (part 3)

Chapter V - The von Babenberg Crisis​
Part 3 - End of the 2nd Revolt

With dearest Ethelinde pregnant once more, I set out about putting my house in order for the first time in several years. Running through the tedious obstacles of Realm Administration. It's quite boring stuff. But I did during those few days before I set out to join my men and allies at the siege of Nurnberg become known as a just ruler.

2012-12-15_00053_zps24a785fb.jpg
2012-12-15_00054_zps30fe2cea.jpg

Unfortunately while I was taking care of those matters I received word that my father Duke Alberto Azzo II had died outside of Nurnberg. And that his levies had packed up and left the siege carrying his body back home to beautiful Milan. This sad day would spell trouble down the road for us progeny of the lustful Azzo. With our sire dead and his soul carried off to heaven Lombardy was destined to burn as Ugo seized the reins of power and his brother, Folco, Alberto's favored son would rise up to claim the ducal crown, leaving me to sit and ponder if I should throw my hat into the ring.

A few weeks later my Steward Baron Ludolf would approach with word that we had just enough money in the treasury to petition the Kaiser to name us the Duke of Tirol. Which was quite the big thing, as we were in a foot race of collecting tithes with the Duke of Swabia who owned the other half of the de jure land of Tirol. Upon notification of this I immediately sent my Steward and Chancellor with he appropriate funds to the Kaiser, who wholeheartedly agreed that I should be henceforth known as Welf I Duke of Bavaria - Tirol.

2012-12-15_00055_zpsb6f16076.jpg

This is not to mention that we had finally occupied Nurnberg, but most unfortunately learned that the Count Gebhardt von Babenberg was not in his county but instead hiding out with his brother's raiding parties in Carinthia.

More bad news came as we no longer had the funds to pay our mercenaries. Therefore, I sent immediate word to Marshal Prince-Bishop Ulrich to inform the mercenary captain to go home, before he would decide to Bavaria himself. Besides we truly no longer needed his services anymore since the occupation was over and there was no longer a need to have the extra manpower to surround a castle.

Another week would pass and my small band of Bavarians would catch Count Gebart and the Duke of Austria's raiding parties and slaughter them. Capturing the Count and ending the war once and for all.

2012-12-15_00056_zpsb125bae0.jpg

When the peace treaty was signed and we could finally move on to some sense of normalcy after several years of non-stop warring due to revolts and the Kaiser I took it upon myself to heal my realm. Give the peasants some peace of mind. And my wife would go into labor once more. Although much to my sadness would disappointment yet again with another daughter.

2012-12-15_00057_zps4292d1b9.jpg

The time after Binhilde's birth was very peaceful in Bavaria I had reached my sixth anniversary of becoming Duke, and had really accomplished nothing. I had gained one extra county from a rebellious lord and that is it. Nothing significant sadly. Although my day of vengeance upon the Duke of Austria would soon show up. But all in all I began to see my reign as an utter failure.

In fact what made it worse is my lords would not even allow me to revoke the County of Nurnberg from Count Gebhardt. They claimed that he was not the one that had plotted against me, and therefore was not the traitor. And that the true traitor had died a year ago in the fields of battle and that was punishment enough for the family. Truthfully I did not agree. But my hands were tied, and being unable to further consolidate my power base in Bavaria I began to sit and ponder the shape of the world around me.

I drew lines on a map, the lines of the old now defunct Kingdom of Bavaria and plotted how I could crown myself King. It would be even better if the Pope would give me Holy investiture and blessing in that act. I could only hope, but it would be this ambition that would drive me further in the future.

2012-12-15_00058_zps1b4756b7.jpg

Last edited:
I've only ever seen Bavaria in its kingdom form once - I'd like to see it again :)