• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
If others use your computer, you'd better password protect files - just to be on the safe side: that your files are still there next time you want to play and haven't been accidentally binned.

I see you are going to have some Austrian provinces after all. Perhaps, allies should be added to the list of things not to have in EU3 ... I suppose the good thing about Burgundy and Venice is you get to see a lot of France. The body bags you sentthe Austrians home in, did you generosly provide them outof the Anhalt public purse or did you make the Austrians supply their own?

Last edited:
Your allies are keeping you busy, but at least it appears to be paying off in respect to Austria. Looking forward to that peace deal. And I think it's Breslau. ;)

Keep it up with the non-smoking, Scott. I wish I could do the same and hope to soon. But I have not yet and I envy you in a way. It's an awful habit and you are doing the right thing in dropping it. Good luck with that and the getting your comp back to play.

Chief Ragusa - I will get some Austrian provinces....yes. As for the body bags, it was alliteration...but the Austrians had to pay for them.

comagoosie - Hopefully I will be doing something useful there, and soon.

coz1 - Thanks. It's been rather easy, actually to quit. Other than having something for my hands to do, I don't miss it. As for Breslau, that is in Austria's hands and east of my provinces...it's got a 'G' in it and lau, and I believe it is Bresglau. Either way I will get something out of Austria. Not as much as I would want but enough to hurt them.

Sometimes you have to wonder what people are thinking. Or in this case, the AI. Not just Austria, but Burgundy as well. Burgundy started this stupid war and what do they do? Invade one province. ONE! Of course, that is partly my fault as I don’t give them military access. And I invaded the other Austrian province that Burgundy could reach. So they were doomed to do diddly squat. I’d blame them, but since I am being greedy I suppose I can’t really complain that much. Who would listen anyway, eh?

I’ll show a screenshot a bit later, but the war wasn’t all that difficult for me. Austria hasn’t truly recovered from all the other wars she has been involved in, militarily or monetarily. I, on the other hand, having had advisors to lower my BB and a plethora of cash have had no trouble maintaining a decent sized army….

Well I could yammer on about the mighty struggles put up by the Austrians. But that would be a lie. They whimpered, fought poorly with minimal forces, and died by the thousands. Probably a total of ten thousand all told for the entire war. Yes, I know. It isn’t that much. But I wasn’t kidding when I said they just didn’t have an army worthy of the name. It was woefully inadequate and quite pathetic. I’d feel sorry for them…but I don’t.

It wasn’t long before I had them prostrate and bleeding on the ground, whimpering and begging for mercy. Well, to be honest, they were haughty and arrogant. They kept asking for a white peace. Which was incredibly insulting. Then when I had them down to some piss ant province in the east they offered one measly province. I declined.

I demanded much. They refused. I wanted Bohemia. They just wouldn’t go for it. I tried over and over again, and they, in their arrogance, continued to defy me. I finally gave it up and asked for some southern provinces and one western province….see the map here….

Anhalt after the successful war against the Austrians

Now I remember saying that I would not do any more royal marriages. Bavaria keeps begging for a royal marriage. As do other nations. I ignore them. Salzburg is no more. Bavaria ate them. I think in a peaceful annexation. Bavaria asks for a royal marriage again. I agree. I know, I said I wouldn’t ever do it again. But I am thinking of a peaceful annexation. I agree to a alliance as well. So what do they do? They declare war on Austria! I’ve only been out of a war with them for about a year or so. But since I didn’t start it and all that jazz……I agree to go to war. Hell, not all of my troops have come back from the easternmost Austrian provinces! I swarm over nothing. I am still getting my troops back and I am not really eager for this war.

Bavaria initially does well and takes over Plsen. Then Austria gathers some troops and kicks them out and starts smacking the Bavarians around. I COULD let the Bavarians get creamed, pun intended….but instead I go on the offensive. I really DID want Bohemia. I want to make this quick, so I swarm the Austrians. I take Bohemia and Wien and so forth quickly. I demand Bohemia and that lone province that I now surround, and Plsen. It is far more than my warscore should allow. But God help me, they accept!

I nearly swoon from the stunning news. I am shocked, amazed, and quite pleased. I could have sworn I had taken a screenie of the world afterward, but apparently I didn’t. Which kind of irks me. But I am out of that war. Portugal is STILL allied with England. Which annoys me. England has a gigantic navy. One of their fleets dwarfs my entire navy, it is 26 ships strong.. The English terrify me. I don’t know why, it’s not like their army can be all that tough…but I still remember the thrashing I got from France and Burgundy the last time I played Anhalt.

It makes me decide to build a couple of colonies to the southern US….where Louisiana would be. N’awlins. You know the place. I like Cajun food, so why not? Plus by building up those two provinces to the point where I can attack the Portuguese from the north AND the south. I know it sounds like I am being a chicken. Perhaps I am….My BB is almost up to 15 and I would like to drop it somewhat before making further acquisitions. My tech is above anyone else.

In fact, I am almost running away in the tech race. I have about five or seven levels above anyone else in Europe. Regardless of the tech type, except in Trade….Genoa and Venice are right with me in the trade tech category. I shouldn’t be surprised, I suppose. But when it comes to Government, Production, Land, Naval….well, I am the overall leader and nobody else is really close.

I haven’t played much since. In fact, I haven’t done much of anything, other than work. I keep putting off my various doctor’s appointments. Not because of anything other than I lost my job due to missing so much work….I have another one now, but I missed a week of work and since we were pretty much hand to mouth that hurt a lot. So I have been leery about missing any work. Lack of funds is a horrible thing, I don’t recommend it. But I have finally gotten his update out and finished.

I must say that the game runs VERY quickly with 3 gig of RAM and the 8400 nVidia Geforce video card. I have to go from flat out to half that speed when at war just to make sure I don’t miss something. I love it. At some point I will have to upgrade to NA, but I haven’t done it yet. There are certain things about NA I am not certain of….plus…again, a lack of funds.

But that is not the issue….the issue now is to continue colonizing and then rapping the knuckles of the Portuguese….interestingly enough, the Aztecs, Zapotecs, Mayans, Chimu, and Inca all still exist. The European powers have colonized the eastern coast of South America, but have pretty much had no success in Central America. The American West Coast is virtually barren of European presence as well.

The English….My God, they have been going nuts in America. They are deep into bible belt and the near western states. It’s unbelievable. They have ignored South Africa and Australia. In fact, the Teutonic Order has done more in that direction, as has Mecklemburg. It means that to finish off the ‘burgers I will have to send an army down to South Africa to eat those colonies…I don’t even know if they are cities yet.

All in all it was a successful session and hopefully the next one will be more entertaining. The Austrians are pretty much punching bags at this point…but to round out ‘Germany’ I still need the rest of the Bohemian provinces and I have to get to ‘Danzig’ as well. We’ll see how that goes. Plus Portugal still must pay….:)

If you keep that tech lead, the inevitable showdown with Portugal and England won't be as rough as it might. Nice work with Austria and such fortune that your new ally found you just in time for round 2 of BWB bashing. Not so blobby anymore, are they? :D

Fine to see an update again, Amric. Now let's hope that royal marriage doesn't cause any more calamities :) ! Also, if you run away so far in the tech race, numbers really shouldn't matter that much anymore and taking on the English navy will be a lot easier even if you have not as many ships as they have.

Glad to see you back in action!

Anyways, very nice you getting a couple of provinces, but I think your luck is going to go downhill when Bavaria is the lead nation in a personal union :D

coz1 - When I spoke of that tech lead, I was wrong. ONE nation has kept up with me. Genoa, believe it or not. They still exist and they are step for step with me....As for Austria, they have a big problem to their east. The Turk.

Qorten - I found out that the French tech deficit didn't mean much naval wise a bit later....it was...unpleasant.

comagoosie - bite thy tongue! :)

That went smooth indeed... I'm still waiting for our friend Murphy to show up... ;) :p

The war of the "liberation" of Genoa looms. Bet they're allied with the French. It's reassuring that the English navy scares the would-be Germany.Anhalt does appear to be doing well enough on its own without the need to become Germany. I hope wise counsel will prevail.

The Austrians fall over more easily than a pack of cards. They must be really scared of Bavaria or maybe it's the Turks.

Just caught up. Great AAR - love the style. Sometimes it's good to forget the fancy stuff and get on with the conquering.

Hope the life issues work out.

Murmurandus - I worried about that as well....

Chief Ragusa - Nope...I have no border with Genoa...Nor access to them. As for Austria...numerous losing wars have drained their treasury, manpower and they have NEVER been HRE since 1453. France had it ONCE. I have been HRE the rest of the time.

merrick - Thank you, sir. Sometimes you just have to do it...that is the whole point of the game. To dominate in some fashion or another....

I’d like to say that I spent the next session smacking Portugal and England around. I’d like to….but I can’t. In fact I didn’t do anything to either of them. I didn’t have time. Bavaria started another war with Austria. I did NOTHING. I moved nary an inch. I was busy making new colonies in southern United States. Bavaria fought hard and didn’t have all that much success. I was done messing with Austria. There was little left in it for me. Historically Germany like provinces I had already taken from Austria and a bit more anyway.

I needed nothing else from them. So Bavaria finally had a stalemate with Austria and they went with a white peace. I hadn’t noticed until I got a notice saying the war went to an automatic white peace as there had been no fighting whatsoever between Austria and myself. So what? It was a minor blip on my radar. One I barely registered or paid any real attention to, to be honest.

The reality is that I was beginning to despair of EVER becoming Germany. I had all the requirements. I OWNED the proper provinces. They all were considered mine and would be defended to the last drop of peasant blood. What more does the bloody game want? I’ve tried to be at peace. More or less I have been. But then Burgundy starts another war with France. I do little in Europe. I wanted to take some French provinces in North America. The province north of Stadacona became mine. I took it over after spanking a 1k French army.

I follow the remnants to Innu where I besiege the province. I have an 18 ship fleet in North America. I put six thousand troops on it and set sail for Manhattan<which the French own…or is it Delaware?> Either way I am confident of success. Until I run into a French fleet. Of 32 ships. Which proceed to quickly obliterate my fleet. I lose EVERY single ship. My six thousand troops drown in the frigid waters of the Bay of Fundy…..

I am livid. I am horrified. I am….irked. The French try to invade my lands in Europe. Only to be slapped and smacked around like a bully beating on a geek. They lose tens of thousands of troops. I don’t even pay attention to how Burgundy is doing. I am more interested in North America. I am building more troops in Stadacona to replace the ones that sank to the bottom of the sea.

France keeps asking for white peace. I ignore them. I am still besieging Innu. France keeps asking for white peace. Every month. I finally look at Europe. Burgundy is getting a beating. Yet France is still asking for white peace. Interesting. Finally, since I am not getting anywhere in my siege of Innu I agree to their white peace. I kept the colony of theirs that I stole. So I got a little bit out of the war. I lost most of my navy and a sizable portion of my North American army.

Still no Germany. I’m bored and still irked. But after that humiliating smack down of my navy I am still bothered by the English and Portuguese navies.

Here’s a note….My tech is higher than theirs. But it was higher than France as well and their navy beat me bloody. I have sliders for quality and offensive maxed out. Why? Because to be a warmonger you want offensive. Since I will never have the manpower of France or Russia or so forth I want quality. Cannon fodder is all well and good, but I want professional troops, not pitchfork wielding farmers with shite between their toes, hay in their hair, and missing teeth. I want men who can chew metal and spit out nails.

I decide to go after Poland. Why? Because they own Danzig, which historically was a German province. So since I earlier<about twenty years ago> pressed a claim on Poznan I declare war on Poland. Lithuania jumps in by doing nothing. I have a habit of pressing boundary disputes. Even if I don’t do anything with them immediately, it can be useful later on. I sweep into Poland much like Germany did in WWI and WWII. Almost as quickly, equally as devastatingly. The Polish army….was woefully small, inadequate, and it might as well been a band of rattle wielding babies set against me. They were about as effective.

I don’t know what Lithuania was doing, but they had virtually nothing to do with this war. I rolled over Polish towns and provinces like a steamroller. I ran into maybe a total of 10k Lithuanian troops. Most of their army was who knows where? The Poles were stubborn though. I wanted more than just Danzig. I wanted Poznan and Osterprussia. They refused. Even after I had taken every single one of their provinces, they refused. Probably because they had a few colonies somewhere or other. Plus Lithuania was untouched by me.

I finally had them give up Danzig. I didn’t get everything I wanted. But at least I got something out of it….Then it happened. The event I had been waiting for…seemingly centuries. I got to choose to become Germany or not. Obviously I chose to become Germany. I have managed to reach my goal. I am Germany.

http://amric.websinteractive.net/users/amric/gallery/germany_16.jpg

So now what to do? Do I continue on? If so, what should my goal be? Do I actually go after Portugal in North America? Is there much of a point to that now? My goal of becoming Germany has been reached. I had no other real objective other than not being eaten by Burgundy and France. So what do you all think? What should I focus on now? Or should I move on to a different project?

Amric said:
I have managed to reach my goal. I am Germany.
Woo-hoo. I'll bet that was a warm glow of satisfaction after all the struggle. :)

As to what to do next - well, play on if you want to, but don't feel obliged to play - or write - anything just for our benefit. I often find playing a megapower to be frankly boring - no-one can touch you, nothing can hurt you, send colonist, build structure, squish rebel, repeat to the n with the occasional walkover war against an outclassed opponent - but that's just me.

Ah yes, for the Germans when all else fails, make war on Poland. ;) Poor Poles. :p

Nice work becoming Germany. Now when you reload, you can be the proper German gray. I know that wait is grueling at times as you wonder what the hell you have to do to become Germany, but it's always nice when it triggers. I just wish it gave more of a bonus.

merrick - I played a bit more, but it just wasn't all that satisfying....I don't know if I will continue, but it was fun while it lasted, so far. Yes, it was very satisfying to become Germany. After the first time I tried this and fell flat on my face, I am pleased I was able to do it so well....

coz1 - Well, they did have Danzig, after all! Yes, it was the proper color when I reloaded....but as I mentioned above, it just wasn't much fun playing anymore. I suppose it is because I know I can probably win any land battle I get into...

Chief Ragusa - Yep, becoming Germany and Austria not being the super blob it usually is....quite satisfying...but the shine is off the apple...not sure what to do next...

It sounds like you play the game at high speeds. you can't retreat from naval battles. You could of saved yourself 16 ships and 6 thousands men.

Either way you gained a colony and danzig, now it is time to stay at peace!

Good job on becoming Germany... This time everything went pretty smoothly... ;)

Now as to continue or not, that's upt to you to decide, but I sure want to read more of the Amric Adventures in EU3-Land... :D