• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Keep up the good work.

Wow! Very good work!

Great AAR, Memnon!

I have a question: Does declaring the Caliphate give you any additional benefits, apart from that massive army?

Memnon said:
Sadly, no. I wish it would give me cores everywhere, but it doesn't.

Your BB must be quite high then... No, wait - both Tripoli and Nejd are uncivilized :D

I expect it to become quite high, though... :p

G-Klav said:
Your BB must be quite high then... No, wait - both Tripoli and Nejd are uncivilized :D

I expect it to become quite high, though... :p
Oh you just wait, my friend. The previous update was the last of the simple ones. Things start to get interesting reeeeeal fast right about now. ;)

Chapter 3:
1851-1866

When I left you, I had just entered the civilized world. Things were going splendidly. Egypt had taken large portions of the Arabian Peninsula, fought a successful war against the Ottoman Empire, and taken an enlarged Tripoli. But things were about to become very dicey for the Egyptians.

The Ottomans, angry at their losses, have decided to go for a partial revenge:

ottoman_france_war.jpg

Soon after, General Fahmi, at the head of the recently victorious Egyptian army, invades the only colonial province the Ottomans have—Hillah.

hillah_invasion.jpg

Meanwhile, one small division of Egyptian cavalry skirts through the deserts of Somalia, and then into southern Arabia, stealing Ottoman claims.

After a very brief war, the Ottomans offer peace. They are willing to cede the province of Hillah, and I would get 50 prestige. Not too interested in raising my badboy any further, I accept. And so ended the brief colonial war with the Ottoman Empire. But the world was not to be quiet for long.

On August 3, 1853, the inevitable finally happened:

russia_crimean_war.jpg

Russia had declared war on the Ottoman Empire. Greece had joined as an ally of Russia. The Ottomans had called in their defensive alliances with Serbia, Wallachia, and Moldavia. Sardinia elected to join the war, bringing with it its ally Tuscany. The Sardinian declaration kicked Russia’s alliance with China into gear, and China joined on the Russian side. Sweden and Austria declared war, followed soon after by Britain and France, France calling in its alliance with Spain. Two Sicilies, and ally of Spain, sent them various expeditionary forces. To summarize:

The Western front:

western_front.jpg

The Eastern front:

eastern_front.jpg

I thought long and hard on whether or not to join one side or the other in this war. It was the perfect opportunity to strike against the Ottomans, but that would cancel out my independence guarantee from France, which they had been renewing like clockwork every five years. I could join against the Russians as pert of the Grand Alliance, but not only would I lack any way to get to them, I would probably have to face hordes of angry Cossacks if I did. In the end, Egypt elected to remain neutral. It is a decision I do not regret.

Austria, with its vast military power of 1, quickly made peace with Russia for some Ukrainian provinces, while Moldavia and Wallachia flexed their muscles:

Ukraine_front.jpg

While at the same time, Sweden, Spain, and France made headway into Northern Russia:

northern_russia.jpg

Greece, the tiny Russian ally, gets hacked to bits:

greece_gangbanged.jpg

France made peace in exchange for some Alaskan provinces and the Kuril Islands, and soon after, the Ottomans and the Russians made a surprising status quo peace. This, however, left Britain and Russia at war. For many years, neither side could advance against the other, Russians unable to attack Britain, the British army unable to make headway against the Russian Bear. And the war raged on.

Not to be left in the dust, Egypt took this as an opportunity to gain a few colonial claims of its own:

egypt_war_spain.jpg

The Spanish had been, as usual, colonizing Mauritania. Their claims were almost complete when they were taken under the control of the Egyptian Caliphate. The claimed territories, on the other hand, were more of a problem. The Spanish had entrenched themselves in the hills, and my cavalry could not dislodge them. Forced to retreat, they were not allowed to retreat into unclaimed Saharan Africa, and thus Egypt lost three cavalry divisions.

Deciding to cut its losses, Egypt made a white peace with Spain—but not before it had taken almost all of its colonial buildings.

The Egyptian Caliphate in 1861, immediately after the war with Spain:

egypt_1861.jpg

The Kingdom of Great Britain made a white peace with Russia not long afterwards. I say the Kingdom of Great Britain, not the Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland, because, taking advantage of trouble in England, the Irish peoples declared their independence:

ireland_independent.jpg

Meanwhile, Abu Dhabi had declared bankruptcy. No further encouragement was necessary:

egypt_invade_abu_dhabi.jpg

The war was brief, and peace soon reestablished in the Caliphate. But again, those pesky Ottomans would not have it:

ottoman_war_2.jpg

This time, though, they had built for themselves a larger army—an army almost equal to my own. We would be relying heavily on our allies in this war, just like the last one. This time, though, we had the British, who just recently had guaranteed our independence.

Before long, the British had landed at Constantinople:

brits_in_constantinople.jpg

Meanwhile, the Egyptian army made a quick attempt at taking some Ottoman mountain provinces, rich in iron. On a whim, we offered the Ottomans peace for the provinces we had occupied. They accepted. The war was over, and we had gained even more iron.

All the lands of Egypt in 1866, after the Third Ottoman War:

egypt_1866.jpg

All seemed to be going well, except that now I had a border with Russia. Oh well, it can’t be that bad…

russia_war.jpg

Oh crap.

What happens next time? Does Egypt defeat Russia, or does the Russian win? Next update the Czar and the Caliph do battle. Stay tuned for the next installment of The Pharaoh and the Prophet.

Last edited:
Oops...

Yeah right, the Russians don't stand a chance against the all-mighty Caliphate. ;)

Nice work btw, I really like to get those Armenian iron deposits out of OEs grasp.
And the AAR running smoothly...

Teach the ill-famed Russian bear to ride a unicycle for us... :)

Hey everyone,

This isn't an update, but rather a special bonus shot.

Somehow, early on, Guatemala went on a rampage. They took most of Central America. I don't know how it happened, but they almost became a Great Power. For a little while, I was competing with them for 12th place.

guatemala_huge.jpg

Just thought you might like to see that interesting shot.

Regards,
Memnon

Novel Approach

Novel idea to finance your war, Selling something that will declare independence sooner or later and is more of a liability than a resource