• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Part 6: Farquharson Commits Seppuku as the Origami Empire Folds...

Hmm! Thanks for the advice, calcsam2. I just did it!

Seppuku.JPG

And from the afterlife I will just note that I now understand why almost every AAR started as Nippon has been abandoned. Here’s the latest delicious event, which hits in 1495:

Castle.JPG

Decision? What decision? No actual revolts, but a whopping +10 revolt risk in the five mainland provinces. This would perhaps be liveable with, except that these don’t drop down again until 1564! Enjoyable as it might be to do wacky write-ups of these “troubled years” as the glorious Nippon Empire rapidly disappears down the toilet, it’s not really my idea of an enjoyable game. What amazes me is that this scenario is actually used as a plug for the game on the back of the box:

“Choose sides in the struggles of the Ashikaga Shogunate in Japan that for 200 years was torn by civil wars!”

Er - well, thanks, but no thanks...

I wonder how many people have bought EUII, tried this scenario as their first game and then thrown the whole thing in the trash! OK, I suppose the thing to do is to get your DP sliders optimized for quelling revolts and then try to weather it. Me, I’m off to find another country to play! :D

PS Sorry to spoil the fun Rirre (and others!) Watch out for my next adventure, which will no doubt be coming soon...;)

Last edited:
Well, after that rather impetuous act I decided to give the game another go and played on for a while. A brief summary of what happened:

During the worst years, from 1505-1542, the government of Nippon fell fifteen times. Basically I just retreated to my Korean provinces and let the rebels get on with it. Here's a typical scene:

Revolts.JPG

Meanwhile I actually managed to establish a trading post then a full-blown colony in Taiwan. This is where most of my gold went during this period. Early on Seoul revolted away and became Korea reborn, but I still held Kyongju, the southern Korean province.

Eventually in 1542 (earlier than I was expecting) the revolt risks came down again and a semblance of normality returned to the Origami Empire. MY VPs were somewhere in the negative four figures :eek: .

Then I got a diplomatic insult from Korea, and declared war, allied with Manchu. Unfortunately Korea was allied with China so I suffered a bit. I got back Seoul but had to cede Kyongju to China. Not a bad exchange, however.

I had moved to full naval in the hopes of a random explorer to start my epic voyage across the Pacific but by 1558 he still hadn't appeared and another round of revolts was tearing the Empire apart (not scripted, just some unhappy peasants, I think).

At this point I decided that I really had had enough. I had survived the Sengoku after a fashion, but the game still wasn't really going anywhere. I thought I would do a quick update anyway so you could see what I was giving up :).

Last edited:
VPeric said:
Didn't I say 'good luck' in the beggining?? Nippon is 'tuff.
Yea...many rebellions in Nippon.
For all Nippon players : make sure you handle the rebels by crush them with your cavalry.
So Farquharson, make many groups of cavalry :)