• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Chapter Eleven: Turn the other cheek?
Chapter Eleven: Turn the other cheek?

Aberffraw, April 868

During the march south, Örvar's estimate could be applied just as well to the castles of Appleby and Luneceastir, though the towns were not in the same conditon as Burgh. Ubbe's new seat of power had not fallen through assault, and a few blackened ruins remained as a reminder of that.

Arnfast greeted his þegn in Appleby, and declared that he had Westmorland firmly under control. The new mayor of Lowther had gotten the loyalty of several spies, he said with a wink. The warriors would be able to head into their next battle without having to worry.

Luneceastir was in a somewhat worse state. The county had suffered from Ivar's passage and the battle of Preston, and the assault had left behind few others than the Norsemen. Hardly a Saxon was to be found in the effort of rebuilding, but Norse ships had brought over fortune-seekers from Scandinavia instead. Like Jorvik, it would soon be a Norse town in England. Still, a similar amount of men had to be left behind to control the countryside – in Lúnborg, as the town was now called.

k6DufkU.jpg

Ubbe then left his lands with nearly 2.100 men, crossing the Mercian county of Chester before entering the rough lands of King Rhodri. Finding no resistance to speak of, he marched on his capital, Aberffraw, where he now laid siege, while his brothers marched on East Anglia.

o1kM6KX.jpg

“Do you think the Welsh will attempt to relieve the siege?”

The eunuch carefully observed the fortification. Unlike with the Great Heathen Army, Ubbe had not ordered to storm the walls. Norse warriors surrounded Rhodri's capital, but most of them were spending their time gambling, only a few watching the walls. Steinn, determined not to let the time go to waste, was training “with those who could use it”. From time to time, the head of a Welsh archer was visible in the distance.

“My þegn, I am a physician, not a strategist.”

Ubbe clapped Gunnarr on the shoulder. “False humility doesn't suit you, my friend. You're smart, and by now you must have learned the essence of command, which is why you are one of my commanders. Besides, I didn't ask for strategic insight, but for your excellent knowledge of humans.”

Gunnarr's eyes lit up. “How I would dread a siege.”

Remembering the eating contest between the physician and his left hand at the last feast, Ubbe couldn't help but nod.

“It is certainly the same for the Welsh. If they see a chance to break it, they will do it. Their king will be forced to attempt relief – but he can only react if he knows it.”

“What he cannot if he's with the Saxons.”

“Was that a reason for attacking Gwynedd now?”

“No. There were many reasons, but evading battle is not one of them. I am not a physician.”

“One can always hope that we can fight another day.”

Ubbe didn't question the eunuch's fighting spirit, but a bit more eagerness wouldn't hurt. Or perhaps he preferred doing something else than tending to wounds – understandable enough. “My brothers have fame, wealth and power. I still have to build this up. The Welsh are not exactly a prime target for raids.”

Thinking of the apparently sparsely populated, rough territory they marched through, Gunnarr agreed as his leader went on. “Their location being an additional reason why few of our ships made their way here. So I will teach them who exactly we are. And at the same time, expand my power and secure my lands.”

“A good decision. Now, let us hope no disease strikes our camp.”

“Another reason why you are here, my friend.”

Gunnarr understood and prepared to check the camp for anything which could cause health problems. Without knowing where Rhodri's army was, or even if his brothers hadn't already crushed him, there was nothing else for Ubbe to do but wait, for as glorious as an assault would be, it wouldn't leave him with many men to continue his pursuit of glory afterwards.

Burgh, July 868

“It seems that people are getting used to your lax treatment”, Inwær explained. “And war always paves the path for opportunists. We Saxons are no exception.”

“Would they prefer being mercilessly hunted down, like they expect it?”

“I am fairly certain that they wouldn't. The good souls in this town may not be happy with the state of things, but they are accepting it at least. Bringing death would just destroy what little trust you have built up over the last months.”

“You see, Örvar, I've told you that we need to take action”, Jorunn said as the left hand was thinking. “If not for Hafrid, you would not even have realized that it is a few peasants who are snatching up my husband's gold right under your nose.”

Her condemning tone was one that he had grown accustomed to, though he wished he hadn't. As Ubbe had asked of him, he had involved his wife in the administration of the conquered lands, but as of now, she had mostly tended to spiritual affairs with Anlaufr, a man she brought with her from Mann. He couldn't shake the feeling that Jorunn wanted him removed.

“Your reliance on Saxons and their priests”, she stared at Inwær, who bowed down in response, “cost us a lot. We would do well to make an example out of them. And Gyrið, you sweet girl, do step out of there!”

She may have tried to conceal her presence, but the young concubine had botched her attempt. Unlike elsewhere, Jorunn very well knew who she was, so her usual tactic to simply appear like any other young woman was destined to fail.

“Shouldn't it be your task to find out things like these?”

“Ubbe asked me to keep my eyes and ears open around here, my lady.”

“And you didn't think that you had to extend your task to fulfil your duty as my husband asked?”

As a response, Gyrið was suddenly fascinated with the movement of her own feet, unable to meet Jorunn's gaze.

“You have a lot to learn. One can't do everything oneself! Hafrid, present your findings.”

The middle-aged woman looked perfectly average, and perhaps this was what made her dangerous. “I disguised myself as one of their priests,” she explained as she produced a nun's habit out of her bag. Inwær's mouth opened in silent protest. “And travelled the land, claiming to have lost my monastery to the heathens, willing to do everything to resist this scourge of God.”

Örvar mumbled something unintelligible. Hafrid smiled, and addressed him directly. “I am not causing trouble. It is because there already is trouble that I acted.” The left hand's surprise left him speechless as she went on.

“It didn't take too long for one peasant to extend a helping hand. There would be many others thinking like me, and they would have banded together in the woods. So I was led to join of these bands, and with the lady's approval, the men raided the forest yesterday. The priests have formed a sort of thieving guild with some peasants, it seems, intending on denying our þegn the income of his subjects' labour.”

dyoYFQj.jpg

Hafrid securely stowed her habit back into her bag, and then left upon a nod of Jorunn. “You see, there is much to gain by employing others.” Gyrið hurried away. “Now, what is there to do to face this problem?”

“Priests are leading this 'thieving guild'? Then we'll have to speak with the seer, Þorbjörn”, Örvar suggested. Now that Jorunn had taken matters into her hands, he thought it wise to leave them there.

“Whatever your seer has to say won't change anything”, Inwær interjected.

And instead of dismissing the Christian's advice, Jorunn nodded. “The time for doing this has passed due to your negligence, Örvar. The priests should have been controlled before, not after.”

“Then we'll have to rely on keeping more intensive watch over them, which means we'll have to spread out the men more. Burgh seems calm enough for us to do it.”

The monk kept silent. “A good idea to say that in front of one of them, Örvar. Who's to say he won't run off and tell his thieving 'brothers'?”

“It can't do any harm. They will notice if there are fewer men anyway. And I trust him.”

Jorunn sneered. “I've noticed that, though I have yet to see something good come from it.”

As he clearly was not welcome right now, Inwær slowly backed away, determined to find that Hafrid woman again. He dreaded the answer, but had to know where she got that nun's habit, or how she learned to speak such a good Saxon that she wasn't recognized as a Norse.

“Thanks to him, I am slowly gaining the trust of the people”, Örvar attempted.

“Do you want trust? How are they to trust us? I thought Ubbe made it clear who ruled here from the moment he entered these lands? That can't be trust you expect!”

The left hand remembered the image of Earl Sæxræd, flayed alive, tied to a post on a hill. He had been unable to look elsewhere until the hill was out of sight. That grim display of power was something he wouldn't get used to. For a moment he thought he would regret it, but then said what she waited for. “Ælla was not a well-liked king, but a cowardly schemer. That is our chance to be better and secure their loyalty.”

Jorunn raised her voice, scolding him like a child welcoming armed strangers with torches. “Are you serious? These men have happily celebrated Ragnarr's execution! These people carry hatred and fear of us in their prayers! If they could, they would drive us out as soon as they could!”

Örvar did his best to remain calm. Just another customer complaining about your wares, claiming that you want too high a price for it. “My lady, this is exactly what I have to change. Gaining trust, showing that we aren't those monsters from the sea, is elemental for that.”

“What a sweet fool you are! It is because of our power that we are still here – and you show them weakness. That it is a good idea to rob us. That someday we'll just disappear again, poor and vexed because nobody wants us!”

“But...”

“No buts! The men captured a few thieves alive. I want them positioned in and around the town, none of them breathing. Heads, bodies on pikes, or flayed like that earl, perhaps their leaders as blood eagles... We need to show strength!

For our future... and that of my son.” She moved her hand to her belly.

A pregnancy wasn't noticeable, but Örvar thought better about it than not to trust her word. Neither would now be a good time to argue. He nodded. “Very well, my lady. I will see to it that the captured thieves will serve as examples.”

ixkcCop.jpg

• 1Like
Reactions:
Whilst Ubbe is away the mice will play - or something like that :D

Seems to be two different approaches to ruling being put into practice here. Is it better to treat the locals well and hope to earn their trust at the risk of appearing weak, or is it better to keep them in line with an iron fist and likely earn their eternal hatred? Either way, I hope Ubbe doesn't find his new lands rising in revolt.

A thieve's guild, an heir on the way, advisers arguing how to rule... Ubbe is in for quite the headache when he returns.

Jorunn acting as expected. I think Ovar knows he won't win a power struggle between them though which may well save the lands from rising in revolt. If he stood firm, and went down a martyr, then Ubbe might have some real problems.

(Or the lands might revolt anyway, and he'll end up getting blamed and killed anyway)

I do not envy Örvar's position here. No matter what happens, he's going to be the inevitable scapegoat if things fall apart. If he's lenient, he'll get blamed for not being tougher on dissenters; if he lets Jorunn have her way and she ends up provoking a revolt, he'll get blamed for letting her take too much control.

Also:

“My þegn, I am a physician, not a strategist.”

Gotta love the classics :D

Good to see Jorunn putting the stick about - someone must keep the blood eagles going with Ubbe away! None of this namby-pamby “trust” rubbish. It’s not 2018! ;):eek:

Whilst Ubbe is away the mice will play - or something like that :D
One must ask oneself who is the mouse here - if Örvar doesn't take care, he'll end up being the mouse to the cat Jorunn...

Just when you think everything is well at home it falls apart. Too bad for Ubbe his wife is not as understanding as he is. I have a feeling this is only going to led to trouble.
Everything isn't well when there's a thieves' guild on the loose, but it all depends on the approach. And while Ubbe hasn't said no to his left hand's actions, you haven't seen him yet - if you remember, his first act as ruler of his own was to flay his predecessor on an exponated hill :rolleyes:.

Seems to be two different approaches to ruling being put into practice here. Is it better to treat the locals well and hope to earn their trust at the risk of appearing weak, or is it better to keep them in line with an iron fist and likely earn their eternal hatred? Either way, I hope Ubbe doesn't find his new lands rising in revolt.
Two extremes - the balance. The balance might be hard to find.

A thieve's guild, an heir on the way, advisers arguing how to rule... Ubbe is in for quite the headache when he returns.
At least he's got less problems than the Saxons or Constantine :p.

Jorunn acting as expected. I think Ovar knows he won't win a power struggle between them though which may well save the lands from rising in revolt. If he stood firm, and went down a martyr, then Ubbe might have some real problems.

(Or the lands might revolt anyway, and he'll end up getting blamed and killed anyway)
Örvar's situation isn't exactly enviable. Though one has to ask oneself if it is better for him to face Jorunn now or to potentially disagree with Ubbe later. After all, he probably shouldn't fear her retribution too much, unlike Ubbe's.

I do not envy Örvar's position here. No matter what happens, he's going to be the inevitable scapegoat if things fall apart. If he's lenient, he'll get blamed for not being tougher on dissenters; if he lets Jorunn have her way and she ends up provoking a revolt, he'll get blamed for letting her take too much control.

Also:

Gotta love the classics :D
Yeah. His advantage is that he's the most diplomatic of Ubbe's men, but there might be a time when there's no more use for him, and he'd better not let that happen.

Gunnarr's just a nice guy. Perhaps he shouldn't be so eager to heal instead of fighting though.

Good to see Jorunn putting the stick about - someone must keep the blood eagles going with Ubbe away! None of this namby-pamby “trust” rubbish. It’s not 2018! ;):eek:
There we have the other faction :p! But trust me, there'll be plenty of death yet to come in Ubbe's saga. I can promise that much ;).

In the next chapter, there'll be multiple places and characters, acting independently of each other. There isn't much time between them, and they are all connected in some way. And almost all have the potential for something important, some could end up game-changing...

Chapter Twelve: Catch and Release
Chapter Twelve: Catch and Release

Aberffraw, 28th September 868

Rhodri was nowhere to be seen. It has been months since Ubbe's men had begun the siege, and their thirst for battle had only been satisfied once. For it was once that the desperate defenders, abandoned by their monarch, had attempted a sortie. Now, there was once again movement discernible amongst them.

“Alert the men. They are moving again.”

“Perhaps they want to surrender?”, Gunnarr scratched his chin. “I think they have learnt their lesson. It has been long enough that they tried, after all.”

It wasn't that long after the siege had begun that the Welsh had launched a raid on the camp. But the Norsemen were quick to grab their shields and weapons, and repelled the attack with full force, losing only a few men themselves. Since then, the defenders must have hoped that their king would come to their rescue, for they didn't leave the safety of their walls again.

QzFYu2B.jpg

The gate opened, and a single man advanced before it closed again. “Leave him alone”, Ubbe ordered, and the man was let through to him. He looked famished, and spoke some words in his language.

None of the Norsemen understood what he wanted to say, and so their expressions didn't change. The Welsh shook his head, then slowly drew his sword, which prompted a reaction from Ubbe's huscarls. He didn't flinch though, but first pointed to Aberffraw, then threw his sword on the ground. Those standing behind the walls opened the gate.

The siege was won, and Rhodri remained nowhere to be seen.

ju00O9e.jpg

County of Strathearn, November 868

“We aren't just going to stand here and wait for those heretics to come and slaughter us!”

The men cheered at his words. Yes, the time had come. “Wait to be saved, and you are lost. We have to save ourselves.”

More cheers, pitchforks and torches brandished. It was nothing but a mob, but then again, did Douglas have other men at his disposal? No. But had he become a nightmare for the king? Yes. Gilbride was ready to do the same.

“It is the king's task to protect us. All of us know that he has failed. Then, my brothers, why should we bow to him? No, we shall forge our own destinies, live in self-provided safety!”

The disgruntlement had grown amongst the peasantry for a while. Douglas' band of heretics had moved on from Gowrie and ravaged Strathearn almost like vikings, leaving burning churches and villages in their wake.

Constantine seemed in no position to stop them. Gilbride took a leading role, slowly fuelling the fire of revolt. More and more peasants abandoned their homes as the heretics advanced, joined him instead. His promises sounded a lot like Douglas' on first sight. He wanted peace.

Then why did the peasants join him and not Douglas? Firstly, he wasn't a heretic and stayed true to what the people knew. Secondly, he put complete emphasis on defending their homes. Homes ravaged by Douglas' host, undefended by the king.

For a man like Gilbride, this was the perfect opportunity. A chance to no longer have to watch the wealthy pass by, but to become one of them. As enough men joined him, he declared to be free of any allegiance, and that Strathearn would soon bow to nobody.

The Scottish king's headache wouldn't diminish any time soon.

Tg9umGk.jpg

County of Suffolk, December 868

Most of them were there. The banners of Wessex. Of Mercia. Irish chiefs. Cornwall. East Anglia, of course. And Gwynedd. Halfdan sneered as he saw that last one. “So much for our brother's plan.”

“I do believe Rhodri will be in for a surprise – should he return to his lands. It will make him think about defending the Saxons twice.”

Whiteshirt continued to grumble. “He just wanted to attack a defenceless realm, our brave brother. Just like another man wanted to do, if I'm not mistaken. Didn't Sigurdr mention Bagsecg's plans to invade in the summer? I haven't seen any Jutes anywhere.”

Ivar couldn't resist. “You sound like you'd like to have Jylland's help now.”

Halfdan answered with a vicious laugh. “More cowards is not what we need.”

“Perhaps Sigurdr was right that Bagsecg plots against him. Then he'll regret leaving his men behind.”

“I doubt a man unable to fulfil his promise will be able to rally his troops to march against a Ragnarrsson instead. Doesn't strike as the type of man who wants to end like Ælla.”

Ivar's concentration turned back to the battle that was soon to come. He pointed at Wessex' banner. “Ælfred's our main opponent here. Even if you think Ubbe's march won't help us, the Welsh's morale won't be too high, forced to abandon their homes to fight for their enemies. I've said before that they are united by their faith – but also by the new king of Wessex.”

“As far as I see it, we have nearly 15.000 men at our disposal. If such a strong shieldwall advances, the Saxons will run before long. A rapid and effective victory.”

“But also one which will let more of them flee than necessary”, the Boneless added. “Just like at your battle of St.Moluag.”

“If the cowards run...”

“They'll fight another day.” Ivar interrupted.

“And then run again. Does it make a difference?”

“The less escape, the less remain – and the worse our reputation, which will make it harder for the Saxons to find new warriors. Or, at least, those of them who don't run. Just think of the effect the mere mention of our names have on them.”

Halfdan grinned. “In the end, you won't find me complaining if the battle lasts longer. So, brother, what have you planned?”

Halfdan pushed hard against the Christian centre, led by Ælfred of Wessex, and soon cut it off from the flanks. Unaccustomed to battle, Eadmund of East Anglia was so preoccupied with rushing to Wessex' aid that he, together with Rhodri's Welsh, didn't notice Ivar's warriors surrounding his flank before it was too late. Burghræd's Mercian cavalry clashed with Ragnarr's men and resisted longer than expected.

At the end of the day, there was a clear victory for the Norse, which had inflicted severe casualties upon the enemy. Just as there were a few prominent captives. Ælfred, the mark of a blade stretching across his face, found himself dropped in front of the Boneless, not resisting.

“A worthy opponent you have been. Unlike other Saxons.” The king of Wessex, having indulged in scholarly pursuits, had gotten some grip on the Norse language; useful as it looked like they were here to stay. Thus Ivar had addressed him in his own tongue.

“I can't say it has been a pleasure, myself. We do not revel in battle like your people.”

“You know, my brother wants you to meet the same end as your brother did – or, alternatively, the king of Northumbria.”

“People call you a Norse sorcerer sent by the devil. I knew what could await me, but still faced you to defend our isle. But unlike the late Ælla, I haven't wronged you. And as you speak of your brother's wishes, I don't think that they are yours.”

“I didn't misread you then. Yes, you have earned my respect. Thus you shall not be harmed – for now, at least. We may have more to discuss later.”

5jpSfFj.jpg

Helsingland, January 869

“So you have returned, after all. I'll be honest, I didn't expect it, but it is good to see.”

“The feeling is hardly mutual”, Nerike replied.

“Come now. Don't act like you didn't enjoy being able to command more than three peasants, one young weakling and a senile hunter.”

“I can assure you, far less than feasting with a son of Loðbrok as your prisoner.”

Hrolfr Skytte smirked. “You weren't hit on the head, it seems. Still the same Guðmundr. I'm still the same as well.”

“We should get to why we've come here”, Borg interjected.

“If you wish. I can't force you to enjoy a feast in the honour of Ragnarr's avengers, after all.”

“Thank you, but we know better than to enjoy your hospitality again.” Nerike then remembered how Ubbe treated him, and couldn't help but add “it wasn't much better in Englaland.”

“I can assure you, there's no risk attached here. You fought for the honour of a hero of our people. And for that of our misguided king.”

Borg's interest was piqued. “Misguided?”

“Tell me, what do you know of me?”

“You are the chief insignificant lands”, the man who would usually command a minuscule force answered. “I've spoken to your men, and they said you are a wise chief. But what I see and what I hear are very different. I've seen a man who imprisoned his king, son of the hero he himself spoke of, during a feast. Doesn't seem like justice or kindness, but like a snake.”

“Do you have an idea of my motivation, then?”

“You saw an opportunity. To take over Sviþjod.” Nerike could now use Ubbe's paranoid delusions against Skytte. “It is a show of strength to capture the king. A king without a son who could follow him. If he were to die, chances were good a man of your reputation could follow.”

Skytte laughed. “You are entirely misreading me, Guðmundr. I'll explain – once you have fulfilled my demands.”

“Then accompany us.”

The three men left the hall, and a bunch of warriors awaited them. “They've decided to follow you.” The men guarded a chest. Borg opened it, revealing a golden cross and coins. “And here is the Saxon gold.”

Skytte talked to each warrior for a while, before inspecting the chest. Satisfied, he returned to his hall, Nerike and Borg following him. “You have done what I asked of you. As the debt has been paid, I shall release Ironside.” He nodded to one of his men, who left the hall.

He noticed the two other chiefs exchanging a look, clearly uncertain if they had heard correctly. “Yes, a debt. Ironside had to remain here in the name of justice.”

“My idea of justice is then very different of yours.”

“I would bet that it isn't. Did you know how Björn spent his time while you recruited men for the invasion? He spent it with your wives. Mine too. Just ask him later. In any case, would I have been able to put forward my grievance during the next þing? No, for Björn would be in Englaland. Upon his return then? Hardly, for he would certainly leave again soon.” Perhaps it also was because he was simply too lazy to choose a less effective method, but he didn't mention that. “Justice could only be achieved this way.”

Skytte's man returned, announcing that Ironside had been released. The chief of Helsingland then picked up a small box, handing it over to Nerike. “You may agree or disagree, the debt had to be paid. Then again, it certainly wasn't your first priority to free our king, for a Dane has made his way here earlier than you. This box contains a gift from Björn's brothers for the lecher. Perhaps give it to him directly this time.”

kCijyhY.jpg

• 1Like
Reactions:
I very much like Alfred's appearance. It feels very in character.

It appears that the Saxons are not in a good place, Their best hope is now Ivar's prisoner. This cannot bode well for them.

The King of Scotland seems to be losing his grip on his kingdom very quickly.

I wonder what impact the return of Ironsides will have if any.

A stroke of luck for the brothers to ge Aelfred in irons. And speaking of iron, it looks like Ironside got himself into trouble. Otherwise the battles all seem to be going according to plan. Plenty of candidates now for the next Blot?

I quite like how you portrayed Alfred. I'm actually hoping things work out relatively well for him, at least in comparison to his brother.

Alfred is mighty impressive, but as long as the brother's stay unified, and the Scots distracted, the Saxons probably don't have a chance.

Of course, Bjorn's return could do something to break up that Ragnarsson unity, since things have gone well without him. And he seems to have done plenty to disturb things at home.

It seems that the rule of the day in Scotland is fast becoming "Every man for himself."

Capturing Ælfred is a real coup for Ivar. A small part of me is hoping that he'll be able to remain a worthy opponent for Ragnar's sons for a good long while, at least long enough to forge a legend of his own (if not quite taken to the same heights as in our world).

Skytte weaves quite the tale in giving his reasons for imprisoning King Björn. I can't help but feel that he's doing a fair bit of embellishing though, and downplaying his true motives somewhat -- or at least, he's not telling the whole story. But then, this is going to be one of those nasty "my word versus his" scenarios where each side believes exactly what it wants to, I'll wager.

Dig it all :)
Glad to read it :).

I very much like Alfred's appearance. It feels very in character.
He's a virtous character and the best hope for the Saxons. Now the question remains if this short appearance is all we'll see of him alive...

It appears that the Saxons are not in a good place, Their best hope is now Ivar's prisoner. This cannot bode well for them.

The King of Scotland seems to be losing his grip on his kingdom very quickly.

I wonder what impact the return of Ironsides will have if any.
Not that it has looked good before, but now it's worse. It is in times like these that I wonder if I should have sent a godi's levy to scout the battlegrounds just to see how Ivar's battles went.

When one man senses an opportunity, other vultures are quick to come. But Constantine's Scotland isn't a carcass yet, so there's hope.

I don't know yet if we'll see much of Ironside or the other Swedes, but he had to be released one day, after all.

A stroke of luck for the brothers to ge Aelfred in irons. And speaking of iron, it looks like Ironside got himself into trouble. Otherwise the battles all seem to be going according to plan. Plenty of candidates now for the next Blot?
Definitely luck is on their side. And Ironside - well, if he chose to fight in foreign beds instead of the battlefield, it is his honour that takes the loss. And you could see Ælla's death as a blót, in which case it would mean it takes nine years to the next one - or probably not :rolleyes:.

I quite like how you portrayed Alfred. I'm actually hoping things work out relatively well for him, at least in comparison to his brother.
His brother died on the battlefield - Ælfred's luck might have been to fall into Ivar's hands. With Halfdan, I'd guess he'd be already dead :eek:.

I was beginning to wonder if Bjorn Ironsides would ever get released or if he'd just die in jail. :p
There's your answer! If Björn continues like that, at least he'll achieve less than Ubbe :p.

Alfred is mighty impressive, but as long as the brother's stay unified, and the Scots distracted, the Saxons probably don't have a chance.

Of course, Bjorn's return could do something to break up that Ragnarsson unity, since things have gone well without him. And he seems to have done plenty to disturb things at home.
Wessex might well be the only realm able to stand its ground against the Norse - but hardly now. So yeah, the brothers are almost unopposed right now.

Björn is far enough not to cause that much trouble - especially as he has his own, self-caused ones to take care about first :p.

It seems that the rule of the day in Scotland is fast becoming "Every man for himself."

Capturing Ælfred is a real coup for Ivar. A small part of me is hoping that he'll be able to remain a worthy opponent for Ragnar's sons for a good long while, at least long enough to forge a legend of his own (if not quite taken to the same heights as in our world).

Skytte weaves quite the tale in giving his reasons for imprisoning King Björn. I can't help but feel that he's doing a fair bit of embellishing though, and downplaying his true motives somewhat -- or at least, he's not telling the whole story. But then, this is going to be one of those nasty "my word versus his" scenarios where each side believes exactly what it wants to, I'll wager.
It can hardly be called a kingdom soon.

Ælfred's fate... will feature in the next chapter, so I won't say much about that right now ;).

Skytte's actually a good man, and I found myself wondering how Björn was imprisoned... Well, he's a seducer, and Skytte had a -100 opinion of him, so that may have answered my question. But about his true motives, they'll likely stay in the shadows, open to interpretation like Ubbe's or Nerike's.

The next chapter is again going to be one without Ubbe. But an important one, about change.

Chapter Thirteen: Peace?
Chapter Thirteen: Peace?

Gowrie, 31st January 869

“Are you satisfied now?”

“Obviously not.” He spat out, futilely testing his bounds again.

“Then was it worth it to bring all that death and chaos over the realm?”

He managed a defiant smile. “Naturally. We freed quite a few souls. And it's far from being over.”

Constantine had enough. “It is, heretic! And soon, we will restore order in Strathearn as well.”

“Must have stung to merely watch helplessly. To lack the strength to stop me, to have more and more people see your kingship as something they are better left without.”

“Time is on my side. By letting your band of murderers ravage the land while I gathered my strength, you have drawn out the traitors amongst us. They have stopped you, and weakened themselves. It has not stung. It has proven that my decisions are right.”

Douglas nodded. “Cold, for someone who was just lecturing me about death and destruction.”

“I care for the well-being of my realm.”

“And I for the well-being of the Scottish souls.”

“Which means your own.”

“No. It includes my own.”

“You are nothing but an opportunist. What a great coincidence that you decide to preach your twisted ideas to the masses while the Scourge of the Lord descends upon Albion!” The king advanced on the rebel, forcing him with one hand to look at his face. “You merely wished to take my place. And grab riches for yourself. Another coincidence that your heresy is against clerical wealth. We have seen the plundered churches. You are no better than a viking, taking what you want from those weaker than you. But no more.”

He released Douglas, who kept his defiant smile throughout Constantine's hold and was now pasing his hand over his chin. “If only your kingship was as strong as your grip.”

“There is only one punishment for heretics, conveniently fitting with the one for high treason.”

Just as they had done earlier, two guards grabbed Douglas and dragged him away. They had been left with some amazement when a rider had arrived, dropped the tied heretic at their feet and shouted “a gift from the free men of Strathearn”. But now, they had their king's orders, and knew exactly what to do with him instead of scratching their heads as a mysterious rider hasted away.

To the stake, this time. But unlike other men led to their end, Douglas didn't plead for mercy or anything. He smiled, “ready to rejoin God”. With his last breaths, the fire eating through his flesh, he announced once again that what he started was far from over.

XKkFABT.jpg

Middlesex, 2nd May 869

Eadmund and his allies stood there incredulously. The king of East Anglia tried looking at the man facing him, but couldn't help it. He was basically looking through him all the time. If anything deserved to be called a shield-wall, then this would be it. The bitter taste of the defeat of Suffolk clung to his mouth, and he felt the urge to throw up.

But despite this heathen horde over there, he was safe – for now. He noticed some movement of the other man, and saw more gruff warriors pushing a Saxon with a scar across his face. Merely registering what happened around him passively, it took a moment as well as Burghræd's voice next to him before he recognized the Norse prisoner.

“Ælfred still lives”, the king of Mercia had expressed somewhat in surprise. Uncertain of their king's fate, the Wessexians had abandoned East Anglia to its fate – perhaps Ælfred's presence could inspire the men.

As Eadmund's mind began to digest the impressions of his senses, it crushed that fledgling hope under a Norse boot. Why should the terrifying Ivar the Boneless, feared as a cruel heathen sorcerer without mercy, gift them their best – or only? – chance to repel him? No, that couldn't be. He was about to find out why as the viking's mouth opened, followed by a Saxon greeting.

Ivar was accompanied merely by the gruff guards of the king of Wessex, as well as two fearsome-looking axemen. He faced the entire leadership of the coalition that had formed to keep his scourge out of Britannia, composed of the two free Saxon kings and their allied Welsh and Irish chiefs. The Boneless had an aura of confidence about him, and that unnerved Eadmund. They were twenty against five, damn it! They would all die anyway, then why not cut off the head of the enemy host when offered the chance?

But it was just wishful thinking. As Ivar stood there and began talking, Eadmund saw his allies' fear of the man. And he felt himself unable to act as well. It would amount to suicide, and nothing would be gained anyway. Whiteshirt was likely amongst the army back there. The last thing he heard from Ubbe were Rhodri's curses. If their father's death had been responsible for this, then he dreaded what would happen if the Boneless was murdered here. Ælla's fate was one he would gladly escape. Not to mention a curse from striking down a sorcerer.

“I am glad you accepted to meet me. Then again, I expected no less, faced with the alternative.”

“Like all of you, you seek gold, don't you?”, Eadmund blurted out. “We are not Ælla, so name your price, Norseman. I will pay.”

The Boneless was amused. “When faced with doom, show your coins. Well, that won't work here.”

“Then why this meeting?” The king of East Anglia's gaze nervously wandered back and forth between his allies, their meagre army, Ivar and the Great Heathen Army.

“Believe me, the men are hungry for battle, but there's a time and place for everything. And for us, it is now time to settle on a peace.”

“A peace would be a blessing for our wounded island”, Eadmund was quick to agree.

“Considering our situation, the terms are not exactly negotiable though.”

Something inside him stirred, demanding to close his ears to whatever foul lies the heathen would spurt next. But that something was quickly overwhelmed by the thoughts of blades, blood and a particular bird. “That's only natural.”

“Speak for yourself, Eadmund. What concerns Mercia is negotiable.” During the campaign, Burghræd had both learned and hardened. He wasn't ready to accept the invader so easily, and the murmurs suggested he wasn't the only one.

44N9k3f.jpg

The Boneless merely shrugged. “We'll see. After all, I already discussed my terms with the king of Wessex, and he has agreed.” He made a sign with his left hand, and Ælfred was released.

JcAiNUQ.jpg

“So I have”, the former captive agreed. “We have both pledged to respect our border and refrain from hostile actions against each other, be it in direct confrontation or due to an alliance.” Clearly he had no desire to speak any more, having failed after taking the lead of the defence against the Norse.

Eadmund wondered for a moment about these terms. There was no border between Wessex and Ivar's realm in the north...

“These conditions of course imply my recognition as ruler of East Anglia. Which is all I am demanding now. As its current king has already agreed, I don't think it difficult to accept.”

Of course, Eadmund was yet to agree. And this recognition would not only mean a concession of defeat, but also to accept that the Norse were here to stay – somewhat legitimately. So it was hardly easy to accept. But Eadmund had already resigned himself to any fate that didn't lead to him being killed by heathens, and nodded. “His” kingdom was already no longer under his control, and he doubted Ivar would just go home. He said he wasn't the archetypical viking raider, and there was no reason to doubt it.

“No. Eadmund might agree, but he is weak. Ælfred might accept this, but he was your prisoner. But we will not. We will root you out like the weed you are, Norseman.” That was Dumnarth of Cornwall. Nobody questioned his resolve, for the man had lost a leg against the invader.

lbnvdia.jpg

One could have expected Ivar to sort out those willing to accept his conditions, and offer them a chance to escape before he ordered the attack. But he did no such thing. “I fear that the recognition of my rule over East Anglia is not an obligatory condition for a peace now. But it may happen that those who refuse it will suffer the consequences later. Either way, you can tell your men to go home, offer refuge to the former king. This war – is over. And I will remember this day.”

j8UCsbI.jpg

Gowrie, 1st June 869

“Do you truly think the time has come?”

“Yes. It has been nearly half a year. With all the other problems troubling the king...”

“He might have well forgotten us.”

“Exactly. Douglas may be dead, but his vision, his faith – it will never die!” Murdoch raised his fist. And the assembled Cathar warriors did the same. No, this rebellion was far from over.

feLNYMV.jpg

• 1Like
Reactions: