• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
A couple of interesting chapters - just catching up again now. Ivar clings on, despite his injury.

And Anlaufr commands both the birds and the bees! ;) I wonder if he’s had that talk with Ubbe yet? :p

While Ubbe may have gained a new lease of life, the cancer is likely to take hold again. Could you please remind us what the succession position is, please? I,ve forgotten if he has an heir and haven’t seen a screen of him lately. Also, is the story going to be limited to Ubbe’s life story, or do you intend carrying it on after he dies, irrespective of whether there is a *viable* (edit) heir to succeed him? The intro suggests this is it, so the clock is really ticking. And Ubbe seems prone to getting cancer :eek:

Last edited:
So have the Bees worked!

Or is it just a reprieve?

I am not sure I trust these tales of wandering old men.
They have!

... at least for now.

As long as he leaves a nice gift of gold behind him and nothing else, why not trust him in this case? Even paranoid Ubbe does :D.

It seems Ubbe's strength has recovered. Excellent, he may yet live to forge a crown for himself instead of just paving the way for his heir.

A crown may come soon - and who's to say young Hæsteinn would even hold on to his land with such dangerous creatures as the Tormentor around? So it's critical, also for him, that Ubbe survives some more.

The bees worked?! Of course they worked. (He may not be cured, but it buys him some time. I find good treatments can keep a character going a nice little while, even with the worst of ailments - rabies and plague excluded).

But now Ubbe has to make the most of this time.
Who in his right mind can doubt that method :p? (Good treatments can, for some diseases completely, offset the health penalty. Even strengthen the character's stats, though obviously not for the grave ones.)

Time remains the critical factor.

To think that all this time bees were the cure for cancer. Who knew. :p

I wonder if the spreading of this Norman culture will help assimilate the locals and finally make them accustomed to Ubbe's rule.
Not a cure. But a perfect reprieve. Might need to start a study on that :p.

These Normans are surely a strange bunch. Perhaps it will also embolden them to rise up. Who knows? (After all, in gameplay terms, it is a Latin culture. As Norse+Celtic=Latin :p. Only because Cornwall is Breton that was possible, and it went faster than in Nantes, as Hæsteinn hadn't turned Norman.)

A surprise to be sure, but a welcome one!
Definitely! Horrible mistreatment could have ended his life right there.

A couple of interesting chapters - just catching up again now. Ivar clings on, despite his injury.

And Anlaufr commands both the birds and the bees! ;) I wonder if he’s had that talk with Ubbe yet? :p

While Ubbe may have gained a new lease of life, the cancer is likely to take hold again. Could you please remind us what the succession position is, please? I,ve forgotten if he has an heir and haven’t seen a screen of him lately. Also, is the story going to be limited to Ubbe’s life story, or do you intend carrying it on after he dies, irrespective of whether there is a bible heir to succeed him? The intro suggests this is it, so the clock is really ticking. And Ubbe seems prone to getting cancer :eek:
Poor Ivar might not make it much longer, but one has to admire his tenacity. Small spoiler ahead - I don't know how long Þorsteinn made it, as unlanded commanders tend to disappear without a trace :oops:.

:p. As Ubbe has both a wife, concubine and child, I'd guess so.

Right now, Ubbe's got one son, Hæsteinn (not to confuse with the Tormentor). We'll see some of him soon enough. As for the story, with Ubbe kicking the bucket it will be it. But then I've planned a little bonus for the ending :rolleyes:.

When the next chapter is done, we'll be taking a look at titles, a surprising war and the plan for the next strike against the Christians.

Chapter Twenty-Three: For the Fifth, too
Chapter Twenty-Three: For the Fifth, too

Lúnborg, 1st September 873

The last year has been peaceful. As Halfdan seized Lindsey, the tension between Norse and Christians was rising in a state of mutual non-aggression. At least as far as war was concerned. Not long ago, Steinn had returned to the town, laden with the wealth the inhabitants of Perfeddlwad had parted with.

The punitive expedition had burned down the entire county, seizing whatever they wanted. No matter if there had been a Welsh raid or not, Ubbe's retribution had a far greater scale and could easily finance what had just happened. Of course, there was no bishop to anoint him; but Inwær had still, representing the Saxon populace, crowned Ubbe Ragnarrsson as the new king of Lancaster/Lúnborg.

67DvcXL.jpg

The coronation over, the monarch, his advisors and guests moved into the great hall to celebrate. Of his brothers, only Whiteshirt was present. Ivar was in no state to move, though his presumed main heir Barid had come. Björn was no longer imprisoned, but on a raid in the Mediterranean – although Ubbe again suspected foul play from Sviþjoð's chiefs. As for Sigurdr, once the Germans had been repelled he was set on uniting the Danes under his rule. The would-be invader Bagsecg Jute now answered to him, and the king of Sjælland prepared his next action.

The official part of the day wasn't over yet, though. Before they began to feast, with plenty of mead and Saxon ale, Ubbe had an announcement to make.

“Today is a day the Saxons would rather never have experienced. Ælla thought he could get rid of us by throwing Loðbrok to the snakes – he couldn't have been more wrong. We have unleashed the fury of the Æsir on the Christians, turned the cowardly Northumbrian into a blood-eagle, and are now all here to stay. Three brothers on the island, we divided the chicken's lands among us; and now, all of us hold an old Saxon crown”, he looked at Halfdan. Did he expect some recognition for his achievement? If Whiteshirt had any, he wasn't showing that now.

“All of us thus legitimate rulers of our lands, not just by right of force, but even one they recognize. Why rest here? We will not, not before the entire isles bow to us! And for that purpose, it is time we no longer make any small campaigns; but strike where it hurts, where the impact of one war will change these islands forever – such as when we sons of Ragnarr invaded.”

“I wouldn't be here, now, without all the good men who follow me, though. Men who shared our thirst for revenge, then for conquest. And men whose loyalty in unquestionable. One of them more than any other. And I compensate those who are worthy. Steinn Eyjolfsson”, Ubbe looked at his right hand. “Just as from today on, I am king of Lúnborg, you will be þegn of Cornwall.”

Ha4WyXy.jpg

“The Normans will never wave from your side, just as I won't!”, Steinn proclaimed, under the cheers of those present. Most loud, knowing that he deserved it; some less so. Ever since Ubbe sought the crown, his advisors speculated that he might hand out a title to efficiently rule his lands. Like Ivar, who had Ketill of Mann and Olaf of Dyflinn. And the Saxon kings he now claimed to succeed. Steinn might have been the logical choice, but still men like the Tormentor and Anlaufr had been hoping to earn the title themselves.

“With future conquests comes further land to rule. Who knows, you might be the next one to call yourself þegn of some land here on the isles. So prove yourself worthy! And now – feast!”

Quite a few drinks had been served when the representative of Suðreyar asked his uncles the question had had been weighing on his mind for quite some time.

“Tell me: What does one wish to accomplish by attacking someone without having the fleet to ship over your men?”

“Are you as fond of riddles as your father, Barid?”, Halfdan answered, annoyed.

His nephew looked genuinely surprised and uncertain of how to answer. “No... I think?”

“Speak plainly, Barid”, Ubbe reassured him. While he wouldn't be amazed if Ivar did have left some riddle for them, that question was unlike anything he'd expected.

“My father's men in Wessex have gained information about king Ælfred's next move. And as you have more military experience than me, I'd thought you might make more of it as I find it fairly puzzling.” Ivar's presumptive heir drank some ale.

“Might have drunk too much of that stuff”, he concluded, putting the beverage down again. “Not comparable to mead. Either way – Ælfred has declared war upon Lothaire II, with the intention of forcing him to pay tribute. Thing is, he doesn't have enough ships – he has amassed his men in Winchester and stares at the sea.”

ChnhO0n.jpg

Halfdan answered with roaring laughter, while Ubbe tried thinking about the consequences. Once he had calmed down, Halfdan asked if Barid was joking.

“I am not. And father's men have his full trust.”

“And this guy is the Saxons' greatest hope. We managed to corner him once, and he hasn't learned a bit. Surely you have already come to that conclusion yourself, but trying to reach the Franks from here without ships is just as likely as it was for Ælla to defeat us alone! It's madness!”

“That's what my brothers think, too.”

“Strange, Ælfred seemed capable enough when I met him. Could it be a trap?”, Ubbe mused.

“What kind of trap is it to amass troops for your war, waiting for the sea to part?”

“I don't know. A hunch.”

“Like your hunch with Guðmundr?”

“Nerike is a snake who deserves all my contempt. Who tells me he isn't the cause why Björn isn't here?”

“You should give up unfounded grudges, little brother.”

Ubbe wasn't going to give Halfdan the satisfaction of continuing. “I still think it is a trap.”

“And you know what I think it is? An escape!”, Whiteshirt exclaimed. “He knows that after Mercia my eyes will wander south towards Wessex, and tries to wriggle away from a fight. Perhaps he'll get enough ships ready before I march in.”

“I met him only briefly, but I doubt Ælfred would not want to fight us. Unlike Ælla, who was a coward, and Burghræd, who resists out of personal pride, he seemed to believe in a purpose and duty towards his people.”

“Whatever. In any case, he again won't be able to resist my advance.”

“I gather that what you think he thinks you will do is right then.”

“It is, and I heartily invite you to feed on my scraps once again, as you have so commendably done before.”

Ubbe went into full-confrontation mode, stood up angrily to face him. “Your scraps! Oh, of course it is just due to your GENEROUSITY that I am now a KING! We fought the same foes, in the same war for our father!”

“And I did the heavy-lifting. You went in later, taking what was left. Like a battlefield scavenger. Putting a few wounded out of their misery hardly is worth comparing to wounding them and killing their allies in the battle.”

“That isn't the case, and you know it. We may have split up Ælla's realm evenly, but not the men. I had hardly a quarter of your army, so I contributed like I could do it!”

“Aww. Unable to pull your weight, you say. Reminds me of our youth, when we hunted down that bear. You were hiding behind me.”

“Unlike you, I was still a child! Now things have changed. Now we are both kings, equals. Even if you still have twice my warriors on your side.”

“So that means you'll stop feeding on scraps?”

“I never did. But you bet I won't start now.”

Halfdan smiled at Ubbe's growing anger. “Then how about you prove it? Join my attack on Wessex. Seek battle. Try leaving the scraps for me.”

“Gladly”, was the newly coroneted's short and cold answer.

“Good. Barid, how about joining too? The more the merrier.”

“My father swore not to attack Ælfred...”

“And he won't”, Whiteshirt interrupted. “I do. And you decide, in his stead, to join me. He doesn't break his word.”

“I guess not. I'll just have to convince Sigfroþ.”

“I'm sure he won't say no to his uncle's request, especially after said uncle ended your pet Saxon's little revolt.”

Barid fell silent. Still enraged, Ubbe asked about the goal of the war.

“We've been terrorizing the Christians, yes. But we haven't hit them where it really hurts – yet. I've heard that a town called Canterbury has some great importance for their faith in the dead god. Comparable to the temple of Nidaros, perhaps. I wish to shatter their belief further.”

1uo6SRZ.jpg

Most of the feast didn't suffer any consequences from the brothers' exchange, but for Ubbe, the mood was very much ruined. Still, he just wanted to discuss his coronation the following day, after Whiteshirt and Barid had departed.

“We need to talk”, Jorunn had told him, and he was inclined to just ignore her. But she insisted, and it would have been foolish from the new king to follow his inclination to the end. “You let yourself be provoked, and what for?”

“I don't expect you to understand”, Ubbe muttered.

“A childish contest with your brother! What happened to your announcement of a big conquest, a strike 'where it hurts'?”

“Jorunn, it isn't merely a childish...”

“You have responsibility! It isn't just a game, you'll be losing the very same 'good men' you just praised yesterday, solely for your pride! How do you plan your 'strike' then?”

“I need to...”

“What? What do you need?”, she snapped. “Ohhh, 'prove yourself'”, she added.

“Yes”, Ubbe answered, beseeching her to calm down with his hands. “Let me explain. Yes, I might not gain anything for our crown in this war. But I still achieve more than just food for my pride.”

“Your towering ego better remains a secondary goal.”

“With the prestige gained, I may send word to Scandinavia and amass a new host. My brothers prepared the invasion of Ælla's lands – with my proven leadership, they might follow me next. Trumping Halfdan along the way is just a pleasing side effect.”

Jorunn's anger slowly abated. “And 'where it hurts'?”

“Kent is Halfdan's target. An important Christian temple is situated there.”

“Good”, she agreed, grabbing Ubbe's hand and looking deep into his eyes. “For you shouldn't forget that it is not just your future at sake, but also Hæsteinn's. No matter if you go to Valhalla, our son may not be so lucky.”

“He is perfectly safe”, Ubbe tried to dismiss any sound of concern with a certain voice.

“Do you really think so? With the Tormentor sulking around? I have observed him during the feast, growling, exchanging his stuttered plots with his Tryggve, glaring at Steinn. He isn't happy you preferred your right hand to him.”

“I didn't hesitate a moment to name Steinn þegn of Cornwall”, Ubbe interjected immediately.

“Perhaps you should have.”

“No. Definitely not. There is nobody I trust more.”

“It is not what I meant!” She pointed an accusatory finger at him. “If you invite 'Evil Incarnate', then you need to keep him happy!”

“The Christians call him like that.”

“For a reason! Not even Ivar earned that name! He was – is – just the 'heathen sorcerer”. Both Hafrid and Anlaufr suspect Hæsteinn is worshipping Hel. You surely know it.”

“It is a character trait of his which makes him so effective, I think. Steinn told me about how Nantes looked as he arrived. You wouldn't want me to make Cornwall look like that, not when we have friendlier Normans instead.”

Jorunn shook her head. “The man is a dangerous trickster, Loki's creature! And you – Anlaufr's insects might have helped, but you are still ill. The Tormentor works for his own goals, and should you join Odin's hall, then...” She watched him with apparent fear.

Ubbe embraced his wife. “Don't worry. You have Hafrid, Anlaufr... And in my darkest moments in Tamworth, I have tasked Steinn with keeping you both safe.”

Speaking of which, the new þegn of Cornwall had just arrived. “Ubbe... sorry, king Ubbe, you wanted to speak to me?” He noticed his interruption, and apologized. “Oh. Should I return later?”

“No, stay here.” He smiled at Jorunn, who nodded once, returned the smile holding back tears, and left. “Fear for Hæsteinn”, he explained to his right hand.

“For and of”, Steinn joked, before assuring his liege that he remained ever-vigilant.

“Anyway. I wish to talk about the coming war. Do you think it is a trap?”

“A trap?”

“The Wessexian war. I have a hunch. Ælfred should be too smart for that war. Halfdan thinks it's a plan to escape.”

“Clearly not. If he merely wanted to escape, he would head to Brittany. I could hazard a guess.”

“Let's hear it, then.”

“What does he stand to lose in his war? Nothing. Arnfast told me about the Frankish king he attacked, Lothaire II. Not only that is he fairly weak and has been embroiled in a few wars on the continent. His informant came from Holland, which a Norseman governs loosely for Lothaire. So the Frank can hardly land in Englaland.”

“Which means that while Ælfred can't invade, he doesn't need to fear an invasion either.”

Steinn shook his head. “Not from Lothaire, certainly. But from you, or Halfdan. I think he merely amassed his troops in preparation. The battle against him may be tough.”

“That would make sense. We will see if he truly proves to be a test of our strength then.”

“A lot of proofs lately”, Steinn grinned. “I'll gather the warriors of Cornwall.”

Brotherly love is wonderful, isn't it?

All hail the King of Lancaster!

Why do I have a feeling that Ubbe is closer to the truth than he knows regarding Wessex while Halfdan just goes off and charges in with only thoughts of battle and plunder. You do have to appreciate how brothers goad one another into doing things they don't want to do and Halfdan seems to know what buttons to push when it comes to Ubbe.

In reality it's probably the AI doing something stupid like it always does. :p

Just curious, but how old is Ubbe now? He must be getting up there. He already came face to face with death once, so it seems likely he will again in the near future.

A crown of his own! Marvelous, truly. His brothers may not acknowledge all he's done, but Ubbe stands their equal.

Like @Michaelangelo I wouldn't mind seeing how Ubbe and perhaps his siblings are fairing now, perhaps a map to show their exact realms.

Ubbe has achieved much of his ambition to be seen as an equal to his brothers - if he were to shuffle off now, honour would be largely satisfied. Might it also be possible to have a look at his kingdom as it currently stands in a subsequent episode?

Brothers, can't conquer England properly with them. Can't have conquered what you have already won in England without them.

Ubbe's kind of in a rock and a hard place. Taunting or no, he's bound by his word to render aid. Of course, how much aid is very much open for debate.

Brotherly love is wonderful, isn't it?
Especially if paired with a nice brotherly rivalry :D.

All hail the King of Lancaster!

Why do I have a feeling that Ubbe is closer to the truth than he knows regarding Wessex while Halfdan just goes off and charges in with only thoughts of battle and plunder. You do have to appreciate how brothers goad one another into doing things they don't want to do and Halfdan seems to know what buttons to push when it comes to Ubbe.
Long may he live.

Ælfred is smart. It may have been a mistake of Ivar's to release him, but then again he doesn't need to face him in the state he's in now. And to be fair, Halfdan has the army to do whatever he wants on the isles :rolleyes:.
Halfdan's got a lot of experience for that, and while Ubbe has learnt a lot, he doesn't seem so learn much in that regard :p.

In reality it's probably the AI doing something stupid like it always does. :p

Just curious, but how old is Ubbe now? He must be getting up there. He already came face to face with death once, so it seems likely he will again in the near future.
Definitely. Though a white peace only costs some prestige, so it isn't that bad a war declaration. Better than suicideal wars, and better than declaring wars with ticking warscore when you can't reach the opponent, ruining yourself without the slightest battle fought :p.

Actually, there's going to be a screenshot of him in the next chapter. He's been 40 at the AAR's start.

A crown of his own! Marvelous, truly. His brothers may not acknowledge all he's done, but Ubbe stands their equal.

Like @Michaelangelo I wouldn't mind seeing how Ubbe and perhaps his siblings are fairing now, perhaps a map to show their exact realms.
At least his title is finally their equal. There's going to be a look on Britain in the next chapter - I've actually got no save left from Ubbe's life, so I'll have to do with the pics I've made during the playthrough. So here's a spoiler alert - he doesn't become immortal :p.

Ubbe has achieved much of his ambition to be seen as an equal to his brothers - if he were to shuffle off now, honour would be largely satisfied. Might it also be possible to have a look at his kingdom as it currently stands in a subsequent episode?
There remains a lot to be done! Equal in title is nice, but he wants to reach the top! And he still doesn't have a fearsome nickname... :rolleyes:

Brothers, can't conquer England properly with them. Can't have conquered what you have already won in England without them.

Ubbe's kind of in a rock and a hard place. Taunting or no, he's bound by his word to render aid. Of course, how much aid is very much open for debate.
Such a mess. Couldn't do it without them, can't do it with them. Not even with the father, as his death caused the invasion. Urgh.

And as a prideful man, he has to honour his word. How much, that is a good question though...

The next chapter should be done Monday. Then we'll see the first moves of the war, and we'll see what our master of bees has been up to back in Lúnborg.

There's going to be a look on Britain in the next chapter - I've actually got no save left from Ubbe's life, so I'll have to do with the pics I've made during the playthrough. So here's a spoiler alert - he doesn't become immortal :p.

Oh, so this is continuing beyond Ubbe's life. Glad to hear.

Chapter Twenty-Four: Flat Mountains
Chapter Twenty-Four: Flat Mountains

Lúnborg, 31st October 873

“So that's how things are looking.”

kZcwWJX.jpg

“As far as we know”, Ivar's spy replied. “Ælfred has assembled nearly 4.000 men in Winchester, preparing for battle ever since he declared his intention to force tribute out of Lotharingia.”

“And how are things looking from our side?” Ubbe asked Härek.

The giant was no longer a commander of his army. Instead, he now was responsible for recruitment and the organization of the troops from behind, something he was very well-suited for. Few were those questioning why a man such as him wasn't fighting from the front – most were impressed, and if they had a second thought, it was at how strong Ubbe's warriors were that they could afford to leave such a natural force as the Nordlander out of their battles.

“We can gather around 2.200 men, most of them veterans”, he answered. “Most casualties were recovered with reinforcements, young adventurers from Scandinavia, following the call of your growing glory. Some Normans have also professed their willingness to follow you into battle under Steinn's red bolt banner.”

“200”, the þegn of Cornwall confirmed.

The king's face was marked by worry instead of confidence. “2.400 against 4.000. If it was Ælla we'd face, I wouldn't worry much, but with Ælfred - it will be our hardest test of strength so far.” Or he would have to swallow his pride and enter battle only with Halfdan's assistance, Ubbe thought.

Härek shared this grim view of the situation and looked glad not to have to partake in the battle. With Tryggve stoically behind him, Hæsteinn calmly said that he'd faced worse odds and won. “Of course, we'll need to think of any way to gain an advantage. When outnumbered nearly two to one, preparation – and surprise – is a critical element.”

“Or we don't need to take the risk”, Hafrid interjected. “These four thousand are not all soldiers Wessex can levy against us.”

Ivar's spy nodded. “More men are preparing for war, Halfdan's target motivating volunteers for the enemy. Others claim that the bearers of Ælfred's declaration of war also brought considerable sums of gold to the continent, far more than they would need to merely cover their expenses.”

“And how does that reduce our risk?”

“Vagn first relayed his information to his master before returning here”, Hafrid said about Ivar's spy. “That means that he hasn't yet had the chance to speak with his more sensible sources yet, who surely have gathered the same that I will tell you now.”

“Nobody cares about your fellow spy's honour”, Hæsteinn cut in. “Just tell us the advantage. Knowledge of the enemy is a huge one.”

She sighed provocatively, and the Tormentor's look she harvested for it was probably the same he gave someone who didn't talk once he began the work which earned him his nickname. “Not all in Ælfred's court are willing to follow his plan. There is one man in particular who thinks of himself as a master of strategy because he can best his opponents at any game.”

“And this man is a weakness?”

“Earl Swæfræd Dodington of Wiltshire is also a zealous man who has a way with words. He seeks to increase his influence within the realm with a plan differing from his king's, and he is capable of convincing others to follow it. Rumour has it he should lead the reinforcements, but has no intention of heading to Winchester. Instead, he would divert them to Lindsey, hoping to incite the local populace to join him against Halfdan.”

The spy named Vagn nodded. “Dodington isn't on the best of terms with his king, so it is well possible. Ælfred hoped for 2.000 more men, last I heard.”

“And so we may hit an inferior force instead of a superior one. In any case, we have nothing to lose if our march takes us to Lindsey – in the case no enemy awaits us there, we can at least resupply in Halfdan's lands. So it is decided. We'll march to Lindsey.” Ubbe thanked his advisors for their input, then dismissed them. The war had begun, and a course was set.

Lincoln, February 874

Steinn Eyjing watched with a little concern as the two flanks separated from his and Ubbe's centre. Of course, Hæsteinn and Tryggve, the leaders of the flanks, were very capable – but also not above all suspicion. Then again – that was only his friend and liege's task talking. If he didn't listen to the voice in his head telling him to keep Hæsteinn Ubbeson safe, he heard his consciousness – that both of them wouldn't miss a fight for plenty of reasons and couldn't afford 'arriving too late'.

Ever since the rumours had proven right – Swæfræd Dodington, besieging Lincoln with around 1.600 men, less than Ivar's spy had expected – the mood was good. The men were freshly supplied and thirsting for battle, even more so now that for many it would likely not be their final battle in Midgard. Now, the enemy had abandoned the siege and awaited them, not far on the other side of the Trent, but far enough to allow the Norse to cross fairly unhindered.

32rUw1u.jpg

Strangely enough, it appeared as if only one Saxon sat on a horse, likely the Earl. The reminder of his men were fairly well-equipped though, and he had a superior number of archers, which became visible as the first arrows started flying. Ubbe would counter their advantage with his, and set Steinn in motion, leading his Norman cavalry. The Brito-Norse had begun to show a great affinity for horses, and Ubbe was aware that in the hands of a capable, loyal man, it could prove a great asset.

Some arrows found their mark before Steinn's light riders crushed into the Wessexian centre, which quickly lost every semblance of order. Archers began running, spearmen rushed forward to jab at the riders, but hindered by men in heavier armour. The Saxons didn't seem to have any coherent battleplan, and it wasn't a mad rush at the enemy either. Overlooking the field, Steinn noticed the lack of a commander as he pulled back the cavalry for Ubbe's charge. Only some groups of a few men seemed to fight as a unit, shouted at in a language that didn't sound like Saxon.

Ubbe's shieldwall hadn't been upheld until the first blows were exchanged between the infantry, but the Norse moved in a line while the Saxons oriented themselves, many men finding themselves faced with multiple viking opponents and soon a deadly wound, their armour not helping.
In conclusion, it didn't take long for the Wessexian centre to disintegrate and break into a wild rout. Steinn shortly pursued the fleeing men, before noticing that Tryggve's advance had hit a rock. While Hæsteinn's shieldwall advanced on the lone Saxon rider as mercilessly and deadly as their commander, whoever was in charge of their other flank had found favourable, somewhat swampy ground to face their foe.

The attack had ground to a near halt. Tryggve's heavy troops fought the terrain more than the enemy and were yet to engage him, while many of the lighter warriors were struck down even before reaching the Saxons. There was a good chance he wouldn't manage to come through, or at least with far too high casualties, until the centre supported that flank.

As both Eyjing and Ubbe gave the order to do just that, their opponent began to flee. But it wasn't because of seeing coming reinforcements, but because of the fall of the lone rider and his banner. The Tormentor's men had reached Earl Swæfræd, dragged him down and overwhelmed him.

kJbaiAL.jpg

“Those weren't Saxons.”

“Indeed”, Dodington told his enemy. “Most of my men are Swiss.”

OR90Dqy.jpg

“Swiss?”

“Hardy men from the mountains on the continent, safe from your raids. Good Christians. The first of many to come here to drive you out.”

“More like well-known m-m-mercenaries”, Hæsteinn grinned. “Would have even f-f-fought for me had I h-h-hired them.”

“Alas, you are most likely right”, the captive earl admitted. “Still, our plight attracts many valiant men willing to fight for the one true faith.”

“Highly doubt that, if not even the Irish have moved to support your king, unlike before”, Ubbe studied the Saxon. “And now you have fallen into my hands.”

“If God wills to test our faith that way, then so be it. He gave me a chance to convince the king, but I failed, and in doing so also fulfilled His purpose.”

“Convince Ælfred of what?”

“I am not made to stay earl of Wiltshire forever. With a victory I would have forced the king to recognize my efforts with more titles. And I would have gained more popularity, perhaps enough to challenge a king unable to fend off the heathens as the man who actually has God's grace, as proven against the pagan scourge. Alas, it was not to be.”

The man was very talkative, but then again he had nothing to gain from keeping his mouth shut. “I've got in mind to just let the men have their fun with you. To serve as an example. Or at least my friend, the Tormentor. He knows best how to keep a man between life and death.” Ubbe watched the man squirm as he noticed Hæsteinn, seemingly wondering what part of him to cut off first.
“Then again, perhaps not.” He approached him. “What would you do with yourself were you in my stead?”

“But release myself, of course!”, Swæfræd replied with some cautious optimism. “I am a thorn in Ælfred's side and can keep him from concentrating his efforts on fending you off!”

“An intriguing offer.” Ubbe paused a moment, apparently thinking about it. “You will know my decision soon enough. Drag him away.”

Rough hands packed Dodington's shackles, and brought the prisoner away. Not that he would become anything else any time soon. The king of Lúnborg would never release a man who had openly opposed the Norse on the battlefield merely for the slight chance of being an annoyance for Ælfred, for he doubted the man was or would be anything more than that.

He couldn't fathom why Ivar had released the king of Wessex.

Lúnborg, March 874

Another test of his ability as physician. Anlaufr had no desire to relive the experience of the days after treating Ubbe, so he had left the bees out of the treatment – so far, at least. He had given his patient a light herbal remedy, then sent him outside at night to gaze at the stars. But the fever hadn't diminished.

It had come to be a severe case of the flu. Rumours already circulated that it was the Tormentor's doing – his connections to Hel were too present to ignore, and that offered such a convenient explanation. The stuttering terror had cursed Ubbe, with the intent of rising to become the king himself. A curse that had already manifested in Ubbe's cancer.

And had now also struck the heir to the crown. Nearing the end of his fifth winter, Hæsteinn Ubbeson stood in the Tormentor's way would the king die – assuming he was alive, of course. Especially his mother was convinced of the legendary raider's guilt.

Fs70HgX.jpg

“I wouldn't say it is a curse, many people face an illness such as this one”, the physician told her.

“You just told me it is a severe case – how many of these people fall so ill?”

“It happens sometimes.”

“And you tell me it is a coincidence. Last winter, Ubbe was afflicted. This winter, Hæsteinn. The next one... it is going to be me. You can't deny that regularity! We are being cursed!”

“This illness spreads more during the winter, children are more easily...”, he began, but was cut off.

“Had you intervened, my son wouldn't be in this state now!”, Jorunn had accused the seer.

“I told Ubbe about my suspicions, not that he wouldn't have heard it from elsewhere”, Anlaufr rolled his eyes, but kept his concentration focused on the boy. It didn't help him to seek someone responsible for his condition. “I doubt he would have done anything.”

“He owes you a favour, doesn't he?”

“For the bees?”

“No, for your invaluable help in returning his father from Valhalla.”

The seer sighed. “It was an honest question. I have only done what I was tasked to do.”

“Don't act dumber than you are, Anlaufr”, she scolded him.

He had been thinking about quite a few ways to use the 'absolute trust' he had asked for, but that wasn't one of them. “Even if he does owe my a favour, it doesn't go as far as to dismiss a man he specifically sent for to aid in his efforts to subdue to Saxons. Due to his reputation based on his efficiency and cruelty!”

“You are our seer! One Hel-worshipper you help me burn, but the other you let roam free!”

Noticing the growing despair in Jorunn's voice, the seer tried to sound confident where he was entirely uncertain. “There is no danger coming from Hæsteinn. I could help you with Einarr because that madman had sacrificed your father and would continue with his actions in the dark.”

“So you are saying that you need them to engage in their dark arts against us before you act?”

“No! Of course not!”

Tears began running down the queen's cheeks. “You are. And so you sacrifice my son just for your certainty.”

“I can assure you that I'm not...”

“Enough! Just treat him. The only way I can forgive you is if he lives.” Wiping the tears away, Jorunn steadied herself. “Do that, while I tell my husband in person.”

Anlaufr watched as his patient's mother left him, then did his best to heal young Hæsteinn. At the end of the day, it seemed like his condition was improving, or at least not worsening, when the physician retreated to rest himself.

“A mother's worry”, a voice told him from the shadows. “Though I have never felt it, I can understand.”

Anlaufr spoke to the darkness as he turned around. “That doesn't make it easier for me, Hafrid. Has any of your little birds spoken of the Tormentor cursing lately?”

“And how would they do it? By the time they'd return, the curse would already be in full effect.”

“It has been a few days since the first symptoms.”

“Do you really think they would report that Hæsteinn the Tormentor has been cursing Ubbe and his son?”

“If he did so, yes – or are your eyes and ears not as good as I'm led to believe?”

Hafrid met that accusation with insincere outrage. “Are you saying that I don't know everything that happens around here?”

“Who can say that he does?”

She dropped the played outrage. “In any case, I doubt my birds would witness a dark ritual in which Hæsteinn prays to Hel in order to curse the king. He's too smart for that, and if anyone then only his closest friends would participate in it.”

“Einarr abducted people to sacrifice them. That might get noticed.”

“Not in a war zone. Not with the Tormentor able to basically do whatever he wants with the Saxons. He's here for more than just his advice.”

“It's not like I believe it. But Jorunn seeks a culprit”, Anlaufr sighed. “We have to give her one, and Hæsteinn's out of reach.”

“Perhaps we won't have to. She's already left, running after Ubbe. What ails young Hæsteinn?”

“Nothing one can't survive, even if it does strike harder than most. He may well recover completely.”

“Let us hope for it then. For we will not have to deliver a culprit.”

“How so?”

“You should know that, you are the seer”, Hafrid said mockingly. “For no matter if it was a curse or not, Hæsteinn would have passed a test of his strength making him worthy to be one of Odin's favoured, like his father and uncles.”

That was something Anlaufr liked to hear. And if he saved Ubbe's son from a curse – what else would the king be able to do than to compensate him for his work? Preferably with the dominion over the Welsh...

Being a physician to this lot must be rather nerve-wracking.

While Ubbe is off winning a battle at home superstition is running amuck. Looks like the forces who have been against the Tormentor have found a way to bring him down by using Ubbe's son's illness. It appears that the physician relies on luck and political intrigue to do his healing.

I can't help but notice what appears to be Leon in Brittany. Those Iberians seem to have taken advantage of the departure of the Nords. :p

Clearly the best way to cure Haesteinn is with bees. It's foolproof. :D

Didn't expect I'd be feeling bad for the Tormentor after seeing him in action.

Those Hel-worshippers - a dangerous lot, especially to have against you. Is there any evidence of the Tormentor turning a bit, well, wolfish around the time of the full moon? If he were a werewolf, who knows who he might snatch in his madness? :eek: Or some other horrible pursuit, if he really is dedicated to Hel.

Let's hope the boy survives or else someone is going to pay a mighty price for something that was out of their hands.

Ælfred wasn't present at this first battle. Makes me feel like there's more to come in this war.

Being a physician to this lot must be rather nerve-wracking.
Perhaps a bit more so than to any other. But with the risks comes the chance of a good reward, too.

While Ubbe is off winning a battle at home superstition is running amuck. Looks like the forces who have been against the Tormentor have found a way to bring him down by using Ubbe's son's illness. It appears that the physician relies on luck and political intrigue to do his healing.
It isn't a battle the Tormentor has lost yet. But he'll never be above suspicion, as the perfect figure to incite superstition.
Anlaufr is capable enough. Or do you want to say that the bees were just luck :p?

I can't help but notice what appears to be Leon in Brittany. Those Iberians seem to have taken advantage of the departure of the Nords. :p

Clearly the best way to cure Haesteinn is with bees. It's foolproof. :D
That's actually only the county of Léon, just your usual Breton lord. The Christian Iberians have bigger problems than the vikings at home - *cough* Umayyads *cough*.

Sure :p. As I've got no idea what Anlaufr has done, he might well have used his old method again.

Didn't expect I'd be feeling bad for the Tormentor after seeing him in action.
Perhaps even Evil Incarnate deserves sympathy :eek:.

Those Hel-worshippers - a dangerous lot, especially to have against you. Is there any evidence of the Tormentor turning a bit, well, wolfish around the time of the full moon? If he were a werewolf, who knows who he might snatch in his madness? :eek: Or some other horrible pursuit, if he really is dedicated to Hel.
No werewolf-modifier there, but if he wants to make someone disappear, I'd think he's smart enough to do so. As for his actual actions, I had my seer on proselytizing, so he couldn't officially accuse Hæsteinn, but his traits and being under suspicion make clear that he is a Hel-worshipper. He is horrifying enough, and who knows what he is planning.

Let's hope the boy survives or else someone is going to pay a mighty price for something that was out of their hands.

Ælfred wasn't present at this first battle. Makes me feel like there's more to come in this war.
It isn't entirely out of Anlaufr's hands. After all, he has his six-footed helpers ;).

Ælfred surprised me. Then again, the AI held a lot of surprises for me.

Some of these surprises will show up in this next chapter. As will more paranoia.

Chapter Twenty-Five: Suspicions
Chapter Twenty-Five: Suspicions

Woking, County of Surrey, April 874

The camp coming into sight, Härek felt a shiver run down his spine. Yes, he was a dirty coward, but who wouldn't be if faced by the prospect of Hæsteinn the Tormentor's wrath? “What is it exactly you wish to accomplish with this voyage?”, he asked, more to tread on known territory than anything else. He'd asked a lot of times over the last days, and the answer had always been the same, merely varying in its intonation.

Jorunn's answer had now reached the level of 'would kill if it could'. “You. Know.”

The Nordlander fell silent, taking in the view of the camp, the activity of the men. Most were busy drinking, which could be a good sign, he thought. Until one of the first warriors recognized him, and greeted him, inebriated. “The giant comes! A fine day, innit Härek?”

Not exactly in his natural habitat, he wanted to get rid of the man as quick as he could. “Very nice”, he mumbled.

“Mountains harden men and make them warriors, right! Still: Wouldn't have run faster even with you.”

Härek's attention was caught. Having accompanied Jorunn as part of her small escort – “who in his right mind would want to attack this bear of a man”, Anlaufr had advised her – now he didn't notice the queen making her way further into the camp. “Fought the Saxons then?”

“No, not them. Swiss guys! Mountain men, our 'guest' claims. Reminds me of home. Lack no mettle, either”

“How can they be brave if they ran?” A question one could easily also ask of him.

“Saxons. Want to fight another day. This was no Lincoln, old giant.” The warrior held up his fingers as if to count. “One for six, crow's saying. Plenty of room at the table still.”

ctjhZGc.jpg

“Good battle then.”

“Yeah it was. Tormentor taught his favoured a lesson, too. That Ælfwine fellow didn't know who hit him this time.” It must have been apparent that Härek had no idea what the warrior was talking about as he chuckled. “Right. You missed out on that.”

“Then tell me.” Wouldn't hurt to know how the battles went.

“Tryggve almost got stuck in Lincoln, clever move of that guy. Hæsteinn overran him today. Would have been good to see them fight to the end though.”

“As if the Saxons will ever do us the favour willingly.”

“Swiss wanted to. Seemed so. Were the ones attacking. Must have been their Saxon employers called them back. 'Fight another day' and all that. Pity they follow the dead god.” The warrior indicated his left with a movement of his head.

A fresh corpse laid there, with plenty of wounds not inflicted by weapons.

“We had some fun with our food”, the man grinned madly. Härek swallowed hard. Had they all gone mad? Had the Tormentor taken over? Did he just lead the queen to her demise? Speaking of which, he turned around, only to find out that she and the others had vanished. In Ubbe's camp, they would be safe, but was it still Ubbe's...

“Man, you look like you've seen a jealous jotun out for your head”, the warrior joked. “Captured some boars, and Ubbe set them against the prisoners. Hardy bunch, as I said. Didn't scream as the beast tore into him, that guy.”

jbTJ4py.jpg

The Nordlander let out a breath of relief. They had not become cannibals. And Ubbe was still in charge. All was good. At least for now.

“He cursed you! Cursed our son! And he'll curse me!”

“Calm down.”

“No I won't! I've come here to finally put an end to it!”

Ubbe watched his outraged wife pacing around his tent. As Steinn said before leaving them alone, every streak of good luck ends one day. He massaged his temples. “And what should I do in your opinion?”

“There are plenty of ways to stop a man permanently”, Jorunn replied, full of hate.

“And what happens if I do?”

“We get rid of a monster who endangers our future.”

Ubbe stood up and stopped his wife, resting his hands on her shoulders. He looked at her troubled face with more than just a little regret over what he was about to say. “No. That endangers our future.”

She tried to shake him off. “What are you talking about! Nobody will miss him!”

He didn't release her. “Everybody will.”

“You are just paranoid again...”, tears began to form in her eyes. “If it's your brother, you call murder, but when it's you, you are blind...”

“No, no , no, dear...”, he pulled her into a tight embrace. “Just think about it. I invited the Tormentor to come. I entrusted him and his second man with a flank each. We achieved victories in the field. And then I execute a living legend for allegedly cursing me. Do you still think it is the way to do it?”

“If it keeps Hæsteinn safe – no doubt.”

“So that he might live his life slowly getting forgotten? That is not what I have in mind. I need the Tormentor.”

“Do you think I've waited when we discovered Einarr was behind my father's disappearance? We didn't – and it is for that decisiveness that you decided to marry me! So be decisive now too. Draw a line not to be passed, that nobody dares dabble in dark arts, be it a simple thrall or a legendary raider!”

“I am favoured by Odin! I met him twice – and neither time did he warn me about a curse! Do you think he would let this happen?”

As a pious soul, Jorunn kept quiet.

Ubbe wanted to end the argument once and for all. “We've gone over it already. If there is a very good reason – a proven one – to stop the Tormentor, I will. Otherwise his mere presence here will attract ruthless warriors to my cause. And then I'll be able to secure Hæsteinn's future. Not as merely son of the forgotten Ragnarrsson. But as heir of two legends.”

Selsey, County of Sussex, August 874

The queen had stayed for a few days in Ubbe's camp as he had marched further south to lay siege to Selsey, between Ælfred's army in the west and Halfdan's in the east.

Stubbornly, the Swiss had made further attempts to break down the Norse advance. By now they were hopelessly outmatched and shattered spectacularly against the viking defenders each time they tried, leading quite a few of Ubbe's warriors to suspect that they weren't Christians after all, but looking for a place in Valhalla.

YMh8vb4.jpg

The persistence of the continental mercenaries came with plenty of advantages. It broke the monotony of the siege, and paired with very low casualties the morale of the host was higher than ever before. Their tactics and equipment offered a new look on the art of war, and could only serve to further improve the strength of the viking army.

O9aFc22.jpg

What more, a few weeks ago a man from Lúnborg had arrived, bearing great news. Hæsteinn had, thanks to Anlaufr's treatment, shrugged off the severe flu that plagued him. And the queen announced her new pregnancy. So one might think Ubbe was in a good mood. But ever since the messenger had arrived, he wasn't.

“This again?”, he grunted.

“Just drop it until proven otherwise! You've done it with the Tormentor, haven't you?”

“That's different, Steinn. A curse – that was obviously not a threat I could take that seriously, not that I had a choice. Jorunn on the other hand...”

“Is entirely devoted to you. We have all seen it. Yet her, you do not presume innocent.”

“Then is it a happy coincidence then? That she came to camp, knowing very well it was futile trying to convince me otherwise? Just to offer a window of time we spent together to make me think the child might be mine?”

lu9Y4FE.jpg

“Who else would it be?”

“Some lover in Lúnborg, who might very well be the true master of the town in my absence! Considering his reputation, it may even be my brother!”

“Björn still reigns in Sviþjoð, not that he would. Nor anybody else. Nobody would risk crossing you, and Jorunn wouldn't let them either.” Steinn sighed. It was no use.

Then Gyrið entered the tent. She showed no sign of being any different than her usual, happily innocent self. “There comes the final answer, my friend”, Ubbe declared. “Come straight to the point”, he instructed the young woman.

“There's nothing suspicious going on”, she answered. “You are the queen's only man.”

“Good. Elaborate some more.”

“I've kept an eye on her. Listened to gossip. Made allusions to those who would likely profit of it if your fears were true. Nothing, nothing at all. She spends the day tending to the town and Hæsteinn.”

Ubbe finally smiled. “That's a relief. Thank you, Gyrið.”

cmegkA8.jpg

“Was that worth sulking over for weeks? For something that you, too, knew not to be true?” Steinn questioned.

The king of Lúnborg didn't come to answer as triumphant shouts came from the camp, and the men hurried out of the tent to see the reason for it.

The Tormentor came towards him, pushing a bloodied Saxon forward with jabs of the blunt side of a spear. To the great pleasure of the warriors who massed around, the man stumbled ever so often, and each time Hæsteinn threw a seax at him, missing not by far. “Each time, a bit closer. Then a hit. And I know how to keep a man alive long, trust me.”

Then he had reached his destination. “My king, look who we've found, t-t-trying to reach our s-s-supplies.”

The Saxon's face didn't wake any memories. But he had to be one of the commanders of the mercenary force, as it was composed only of the Swiss. And for Hæsteinn to present his capture in this way, it had to be Ælfwine.

The way Tryggve, standing behind the former lord of Nantes, looked at the man confirmed Ubbe's thoughts. Ælfwine had managed to halt Tryggve's advance and was a very capable commander, though the latest skirmishes had proven that his strength doesn't lie in offence. Full of satisfaction, the latter struck the former down. “Face King Ubbe's judgement, you rat!”

As the Saxon rose from the ground, the bruises and blood on his face did its best to make his grinning all the more mad. He didn't appear as if he was in full control of his senses, and babbled something that was neither Anglo-Saxon nor Norse.

“If you have any last words, speak them so that we may understand.” Ælfred's commanders all had learned enough Norse to speak with the invaders, probably so that they could extract information from prisoners themselves. Or negotiate for their lives, as Dodington had done in his honesty.

Ælfwine appeared lost in space, as if hallucinating. Perhaps he was. The next words were not incomprehensible, but very clear and punctuated. “I had a vision. Loss of bone, loss of snake, loss of knowledge. Gain of blood, of cover, of stink. In the end, all for hers. Under hers.” Then the man passed out.

rLVrPjV.jpg