• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Glorious AAR. Looking forward to more Crovanian Adventures (animated or otherwise).

I'm inclined to say that there was more than one anachronism in this week's cartoon, but I'm willing to let it slide. I'm she want glad to finally see Gen. Squirrel get his comeuppance, though – that squirrelly git. Serves him right for drinking an as-yet-undiscovered libation.

Hopefully, our Crovans' fortunes will continue to rise. Maybe with more Irish conquest? I hear those Irish are especially find of being subjugated.

(Or not. :D)

Glory for the House Crovan and its deus ex Noruegia! Let's celebrate with some vodka.

Here here! Vodka for all...just like good Skotts!

Loved the animated adventures bit.

Hey, thanks!

The outhouse is the place where dreams (and more importantly, Crovans) go to die, so let's hope it'll be the heights of Glory for the Crovans for a little bit longer still. :) I'm finally starting to get a soft spot for Gudrod.

How ultra-fertile is Pocky anyway, squirting out kids like an oversized ketchup bottle? And that's after she had smallpox, which can't have done anything for her reproductive plumbing...

Loved the Scottish-Irish bash while you stood to the side, whistling nonchalantly. :)

:D Thanks! I do have high hopes for outhouses and poetry to eek their way into this at some point down the line. Oh, and mass-murdering...that was a Crovan thing too!

You could avoid possible Irish revolt by becoming Irish? :p
Would make claiming Ireland and building a powerbase there easier.

It would, but we are proud Vodka-Drinking Vikings! Not Absinthe drinking Irishites!

The story certainly goes back and forth, I liked your previous AAR about the Crovan Clan and I've enjoyed this one so far.

First post here so this AAR is subbed. :)

Thanks, and welcome aboard! Its Ironman mode too (and I'm not a very good player), so without some blind luck, the game might well have ended last update!

well with everything coming up Crovan I guess its no surprise that Pocky is permanently knocked up?

Still with that monster Norwegian army on the premises I don't think much else can go wrong? And hopefully we have not seen the last of the 'Don' ... can't imagine he intends to 'go quietly to the sea'?

The Don is seeming more and more like a paper tiger, no? He certainly isn't Checkov's Half-Brother.

Glorious AAR. Looking forward to more Crovanian Adventures (animated or otherwise).

:D thanks!

By the way AP, it looks as though you are the new recipient of the WritAAR of the Week award. Congrats! Well-deserved.

Ah yes, the drunken electorate sometimes does this as a lark. :)

I'm inclined to say that there was more than one anachronism in this week's cartoon, but I'm willing to let it slide. I'm she want glad to finally see Gen. Squirrel get his comeuppance, though – that squirrelly git. Serves him right for drinking an as-yet-undiscovered libation.

Hopefully, our Crovans' fortunes will continue to rise. Maybe with more Irish conquest? I hear those Irish are especially find of being subjugated.

(Or not. :D)

No, I'm pretty sure the history of Ireland could be subtitled "C'mon in and take over! We sure do love foreign overlords!" At least I hope it could be.

In Which A Birthday Party Goes Awry 1088-1092

Gudrod Haraldrson Crovan

King of the Western Isles, No Matter What That Placard Says

In Which Pocky Leaves A Parting Gift

28 April 1088 – 4 March 1092

We continue our review of the 1987 hit educational kids’ series Gudrod’s Animated Adventures

09EVSoi.png

Did you spot the anachronism in today’s episode?

That’s right! The French Pox, or Syphilis, didn’t arrive in Northern England and Skottland until the 1200s.

What Gudrod probably had was The Clap.

----------

BRHAnl8.png

I had kind of forgotten the whole “Hey gang, let’s all Kill King Malcolm III of Scotland” thing from the war.

The Earl of Northumbria, however, did not.

1TUJLtM.png

More importantly, I had not forgotten the strong claim to another Irish County my most excellent Chancellor established before what must be the most gullible Pope ever.

R5dgaZC.png

This war is way more fun than my last war!

5RIzZdi.png

Now all I have to do is wait for his last castles to fall.

xQpodw1.png

Math was never The Don’s strong suit.

He’s been in prison for 14 months and thinks the kid is his!

eXpk3Xe.png

And with Oriel mine, it is time to tackle serious issues like this garden.

I can’t have my serfs shirking their duties by getting “lost” in a garden.

wLvNTLl.png

I had something important to tell Earl Comgal, Last of the Ivarings, but it was going to be awkward so I decided to do it at a big feast so he would have to be cool about it.

IdMAFI6.png

Plus, it was Aslak and his wispy mustache’s birthday, so I was having a party anyway.

4gHdHml.png

“Comgal,” I said, “You’ve put me first in all of your doings.

When your grandfather rebelled, you fought at my side.

When your father rebelled, you fought at my side.

When we invaded your father’s domain, deposed him,
And sent him to live the end of his life in a cold
Exile far, far from home: you fought at my side.

But…

The Pope excommunicated you so I am going to take
All of your lands and give them to my son, Aslak.

Also, you’re going to jail. Heretic.”

esHxoEw.png

He was shockingly spry for an old man.

3uh6HUy.png

In retrospect, I can see that Aslak’s birthday party probably
wasn’t the best place for me to confront Comgal.

ZZzab52.png

King Malcolm, apparently still smarting from that whole “tried to murder him” misunderstanding, entered the war in the hopes of snatching the Ivaring Holdings for himself.

eiDUOkG.png

Now, I loved being single. Not being tied down to an old battle axe…being free to hook up with anyone I wanted…even my half-brother’s wife, you know, hypothetical example and all.

But I loved owning stuff even more. So, I married the Duke of Iceland’s daughter to give me an excuse to collect some Royal Aid Duty. I needed the money for some mercenaries.

KJLqe3e.png

Which allowed me to save half of Comgal’s realm for Aslak.

lC3eiTy.png

Since the only Counts of the Western Isles left are my sons, it wasn’t hard to convince them to give me more money.

Pocky is gone! Now Martha is the new Queen! What insulting nicknames will Gudrod have for his new Royal Consort? And what about The Don? Will he ever find out about Cecilia’s affair? Will it matter? Find out next time on the next exciting episode of The Adventures of the Crovan Clan!

Fun fact: there exists a reasonably well-known Manchester band who started life as 'Venereal and the Diseases'. Not that that is in any way relevant, of course. Just thought I'd put it out there.

Also, I should apologise for the horrendous typing in my last comment. Rereading it, even I'm not sure what I was trying to say in parts, so God knows how you coped. It's the iPad's fault. Every time. :D

Aside from that, another wonderfully amusing update. It seems the Irish do like being subjugated after all. What with Pocky liking heaven, Gudrød liking earthly pleasures and Comgal finally learning to like rebellion, there seems to have been a definite theme going on. Will things stay this agreeable for our cast, I wonder?

I can't say I'm too convinced. :p

:D The Crovans go from laughs to laughs to some moderate death to some success, don't they?

Also, on this discussion of Ireland: Being a redheaded Irishman prone to proclamations of nationalism, I would side with the Irish on this one; vassalization does not suit us. :p

I'm not sure if vodka was distilled this early, I thought it was a 16th or 15th century innovation? :p

To be fair, if you were stuck on the Western Isles with the Crovans, you'd get pretty inventive when it comes to distiling alcohol out of anything at hand. Hell, given enough time, they'd probably manage to ferment goat blood into something alcoholic. Or concoct something out of rock squeezings and bird droppings...

On the update itself: I must admit that Gudrod continues to amaze me. Every time I think he can't sink any deeper into dumbness an insensitivity, he manages to outdo himself. Yet still he lives, and he still rules a couple of stretches of land. I don't know how he does it, what with all the enemies he's made, all of whom tend to be bigger, smarter, and have more soldiers to bring to any argument.

I love how our children's cartoon is now educating the little'uns on the finer points between syphilis and gonorrhea. :) Certainly kids who read these edu-tales are well prepared for grown-up life in the real world! ;)

No update today...just bad news. I've never had this happen before, in 7 years of playing Paradox games, but my save corrupted. Apparently, saving my Ironman Mode game to the Cloud was foolish and ruined saves is a known issue (only just now known to me). I've played through Gudrod's life - and he lives a long time - so I will continue the AAR though the Life of Gudrod, but that will be it. His life should make for a nice complete story anyway. I'll make an update this weekend...I'm too bummed to be funny today.