Thank you for your Service | Spring Sale | Steam Store Update

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

PDXKatten

Community Manager
Administrator
Paradox Staff
QA
Oct 14, 2022
:cherry_blossom:
Spring is Here and So Are Freebies for Hearts of Iron IV Fans!
:cherry_blossom:

As the flowers bloom and the world awakens anew, the Hearts of Iron IV team is thrilled to announce a Spring Sale celebration. Everyone knows that long military expeditions should start in the spring, so with campaign season upon us, we are excited to share not one, not two, but THREE DLCs for absolutely free: Death or Dishonor, Together for Victory, and Waking the Tiger.

Generic 16_9 (1920x1080) MAIN EDIT (2).jpg

It is clear that the Hearts of Iron IV: Starter Edition has become the go-to choice for newcomers, and is recommended by the veterans of our community for its comprehensive introduction to the vast and intricate world of Hearts of Iron IV. In our quest to continuously improve the gameplay experience for new recruits and seasoned generals alike, we've decided to integrate the above-mentioned three DLCs into the base game, ensuring every player enjoys a richer, more complete Hearts of Iron IV journey.

Our view is that while the experiences they contain add a great deal to Hearts of Iron IV, parts of the content within Together for Victory, Death or Dishonor and Waking the Tiger no longer match the scope and direction that has developed in the game over the last several years. In addition, there are numerous core mechanics that we would like to rely on in future content that are difficult to work with due to ownership limitations. By rolling these expansions into the core game, we open up new opportunities for utilizing the features they contain, and create new avenues for developing content our players are repeatedly asking for.

But that's not all! As a salute to the unwavering loyalty of our veterans, we're extending this offer to ALL base game owners. Yes, you read that right – if you own the base game, these DLCs are yours to claim, free of charge! And we encourage you to redeem those DLCs you do not own as soon as possible.

:fire:
Why Redeem Now?
:fire:

As we incorporate these DLCs into the base game by the end of the Spring Sale (21st March), failure to update your game could lead to disruptions, such as save game incompatibilities. Redeem your free DLCs now to ensure your conquests and campaigns continue smoothly without a hitch.

:star2:
How to Redeem:
:star2:

To claim your free DLCs, simply log into your Steam account during the Spring Sale 14th - 21st of March and visit the Hearts of Iron IV store page. From there, navigate to the DLC section where you'll find Death or Dishonor, Together for Victory, and Waking the Tiger ready for redemption.

FAQ

Question:
Will I receive a refund for the DLCs that are now free?
Answer: No. If you have recently purchased any of them, here is the Steam refund policy: DLC bought from the Steam store can be refunded within fourteen days of purchase, provided that the underlying title has been played for less than two hours since purchasing the DLC.

Question: Does this mean that Hearts of Iron IV development has stopped?
Answer: On the contrary, this will help future development as we can assume that all players now own the first 3 DLC.

Question: What happens to my saved data when the DLCs integrate into the base game?
Answer: If you didn't possess the DLCs when creating your save file, it will become corrupted and unusable once they are integrated on March 21st.

Question: Why is Starter Edition still available when the DLCs included in it are free?
Answer: Once the Spring Sale has concluded on 21 March, we will be converting the Starter Edition to the current base game. For now, the Starter Edition remains a convenient way to access the base and three free DLCs. So that new players don’t have to redeem the DLCs one by one. The Starter Edition is also currently available with a price reduction to match the base game price.

Spring Sale Discounts

Base Game

• Hearts of Iron IV - 70% off
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Starter Edition -76% off
Expansions
  • Hearts of Iron IV: By Blood Alone -30% off
  • Hearts of Iron IV: No Step Back -30% off
  • Hearts of Iron IV: La Résistance -50% off
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Man the Guns -50% off
Country Pack
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Battle for the Bosporus -50% off

Music & Model Packs
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Eastern Front Music Pack -50% off
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Eastern Front Planes Pack -50% off
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Allied Speeches Music Pack -50% off
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Radio Pack -50% off
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Sabaton Soundtrack -50% off
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Sabaton Soundtrack Vol. 2 -50% off
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Allied Armor Pack -50% off
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Axis Armor Pack -50% off

Country Packs - Steam Store changes

Hello, Community Manager Katten here, I have some updates regarding the Steam Store. We've taken your feedback to heart regarding the clarity of Trial of Allegiance as a Country Pack. As a result, we've decided to rename both Trial of Allegiance and Battle for the Bosporus to include "Country Pack" at the beginning of their names. Please see the changes below:
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Trial of Allegiance > Country Pack - Hearts of Iron IV: Trial of Allegiance
  • Expansion - Hearts of Iron IV: Battle for the Bosporus > Country Pack - Hearts of Iron IV: Battle for the Bosporus

• 57Like
  • 36Love
Reactions:
Reserved for Developer Replies
That's a very nice gesture in light of recent, uh, reviews. A lot of birds are getting hit. I really appreciate the fact that you can now rely on previously-locked mechanics, it's always nice to have more options. Oh, and "country pack" naming change is welcome!
Arheo: I guess it could seem related, but this was a decision we took a while back. It takes longer than a week to prepare a full rollin :D

Does this mean that gameplay without these DLC will no longer be supported? i.e. getting a weird bug without wtt enabled
Arheo: Correct. They won't exist as separate SKUs any more, so you will not be able to disable them. You can probably roll back the version though as before.

FAQ
"Question:
Answer: No, if you have recently purchased any of them, here is the Steam refund policy: DLC bought from the Steam store can be refunded within fourteen days of purchase, provided that the underlying title has been played for less than two hours since purchasing the DLC."

What the hell does this mean?
Arheo: Which part is unclear to you?

Just wanna know - were TfV and DoD a country packs or you did you define them as an expansions? Since you didn't change their Steam page's names...
Arheo: They have always been regarded as expansions.

I guess I'm okay with this.
Can We have the same for the pre-order songs for earlier DLCs?
I only started playing HoI IV with No Step Back. I would have pre-ordered earlier DLC for those bonus songs, but I wasn't even a HoI 4 player at that time.
No punishment for late join pls
Arheo: The first pre-order song we did was for NSB iirc :)

do i get to keep the profile badges
PDXKatten: Yes, you will not lose anything you currently have.

Would you consider a future discount for prior owners on future DLC touching up similar countries as those 3 DLC did? like a -20% on a new DLC that so happens to touch upon East Asia again as WtT did.
PDXKatten: If we would go to that region again. I would say no, and for multiple reasons. One being its financially not a sound idea and second which is a big one here, I dont think you are able to do that with Steam and it would have to be for everyone.

I know this isnt the answer you sought after but I thought being transparent here is best.

Last edited:
Oh that's kinda cool. Pointless for me but it'll be nice having a unified standard for the base game.

• 7Like
Reactions:
That's a very nice gesture in light of recent, uh, reviews. A lot of birds are getting hit. I really appreciate the fact that you can now rely on previously-locked mechanics, it's always nice to have more options. Oh, and "country pack" naming change is welcome!

Reactions:

I guess it could seem related, but this was a decision we took a while back. It takes longer than a week to prepare a full rollin :D

• 17Like
Reactions:
In combination with the little spoiler from Arheo on reddit i guess this confirms that a big hitter from one of the earlier expansions like Japan or Germany will get an extensive rework sooner rather than later. Almost sure in the very DLC that the team is working on now.

• 8Like
Reactions:
Does this mean that gameplay without these DLC will no longer be supported? i.e. getting a weird bug without wtt enabled

Correct. They won't exist as separate SKUs any more, so you will not be able to disable them. You can probably roll back the version though as before.

• 1Like
Reactions:
@PDXKatten

Any chance that current owners of these DLCs be allowed to choose one free pre-order song, such as Bella Ciao or Katyusha, for each DLC owned?

EDIT: Or perhaps a discount on the new upcoming expansion?

Last edited:
  • 26Like
Reactions:
This seem really good, but I miss something for all the people who already bought these dlcs. Something like a free "cosmetic" dlc or something like that would be cool. Or maybe a custom song.

Reactions:
I would like Katyusha, but too bad i preordered No Step Back.

Bella Ciao and Sakkijarven Polkka i believe are too recent to be available on its own?

Good decision! I have bought all the DLCs, but it's totally okay for me that they are now freebies for new players, since I wish to see new DLC for the Axis majors. I'll buy a new DLC for Germany or Japan any day. I also wish a DLC for SE Asia.

• 2Like
Reactions:
FAQ
"Question:
Answer: No, if you have recently purchased any of them, here is the Steam refund policy: DLC bought from the Steam store can be refunded within fourteen days of purchase, provided that the underlying title has been played for less than two hours since purchasing the DLC."

What the hell does this mean?

Reactions: