• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Better not get on the bad side of the awakened empire...

Hey all, I'm going to have to end this campaign.
Sorry for not seeing this through to the end, but the War in Heaven on a 1000 star map is overwhelmingly difficult to manage. The performance suffered pretty heavily (understandably), and using hyperdrive to cover such vast distances in a timely manner just wasn't even remotely possible or practical.
I was /barely/ competitive on Insane difficulty against normal civilizations, but having two hostile awakened civilizations next to me was... well, arguably impossible. Each of them had fleets that were 10-20 times more powerful than anything that I'd be able to muster. Accepting the ultimatum (That I was unable to resist) resulting in all of my protectorates and vassals becoming vassals, along with me, of one of these Awakened Empires. The additional 25% energy/mineral tax made it so that I was running a pretty sizable deficit, lost fleet capacity, and... Yeah.
Don't get me wrong. I love challenging games. Paradox titles, Dwarf Fortress, rougelikes, and other steep learning curve / high difficulty games are my jam.
I just honestly don't think that any semblance of victory is possible here.
I've played for an additional decade and, while some interesting things have happened (League of Non-Aligned Worlds, killing the Drake, the start of the War in Heaven), I've reached the conclusion that this would take a very, very long time to salvage.

My takeaway:
I'm glad that Insane difficulty is, well, painfully and almost sadistically difficult. I won't be subjecting myself to that again.
Hyperdrive only is immersive and great, but /only/ with other hyperdrive civilizations. Once jump drives get thrown in, the fun becomes frustration.
1000 star galaxies are great for exploration! That was fun, but the late-game performance drops will probably keep any future AARs on smaller maps.
I can't wait until 1.5. Added depth to factions & pops would have made this MUCH more interesting. I wouldn't mind revisiting the theme later on.
I /really/ wish that there was a way to 'surrender and observe', as I would've loved to see how the AI would try to fix the mess that I made.

Thanks for reading and for your support!

So cute, and so evil, those ancients. Too bad it ended like this, but I totally get it. Thanks for the ride, and I hope to see your stories again!

I really enjoy your manner of narration with attention to details and statistics at the end of each update, and your peacefull style of gameplay and annexations. Looking forward for your next AARs. :rolleyes:Also when I tired of Fallen empires and their wars I set up FA number to 1 or 0, but make many AI-civilizations.