• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Nice update, Xenophon.

Nice update, Xenophon.

Really awesome update, looking forward to the next one!

Many thanks for the kind words. I'm sorry it's been coming so slowly.

I can't help but just love the Philippine color. The AAR looks great, keep it that way!

It is indeed a nice shade of purple. And though it won't happen in this next mini-update, that purple splotch will be growing.

_________

I've played ahead to about 1873, and I have lots of interesting material coming up. In the mean time, I've decided to focus in on a smaller event for the next update. But fear not, for the Philippine tradition of relentless conquest will return!

Update 10: A Political Crisis

In late 1862, members of the illustrado found themselves at the forefront of a new wave of empiricism and rationalism. This would greatly benefit the technological growth of the Philippines, but it was overshadowed by the political upheaval that transpired around the same time.

v2_42bmp_zpsb8393f67.jpg

On November 10th, 1862, Governor General Pedro Antonio Salazar Castillo y Varona, the first and only independent ruler of the Philippines to that date, died, after a period of illness that was keep well hidden from the voting public. At the time, the Philippines were at an interesting crossroads between a monarchy and a democracy. Although Varona himself had wanted his son Leo, aged 19 to succeed him, Leo was supported only by a contingent of reactionaries in congress. The conservatives generally favored one of Varona’s advisors: Diego de Salcedo, a young but charismatic politician. The liberals put up as their candidate Ramón Blanco, a half Spanish-half Filipino man who had gained significant traction within his party.

2516937092_13492a5a3b_o_zpse26695ad.jpg

Diego de Salcedo

Manuel-A-Roxas_small_zps43b856bd.jpg

Ramón Blanco

In an extremely close election, Blanco took the lead and was declared the winner. However, the members of Varona’s administration were not willing give up power so easily. A group of powerful ministers declared the election null and void, and offered Salcedo the position of Governor General. For several weeks there were riots and demonstration in the streets as Blanco tried to assert his electoral victory over the conservatives. The deadlock was brought to a halt on January 4, 1863, when Blanco was found dead in his private chambers, supposedly by his own hand. Without their candidate, the Liberals had no choice but to back down and concede victory to the Conservatives. Nevertheless, Blanco would live on in memory as a martyr for the liberal cause.

v2_43bmp_zps1a9d8613.jpg

v2_44bmp_zpsabf54352.jpg

Malolos_congress_zps87423d89.jpg

Salcedo’s inauguration

Last edited:
I think you mean that Blanco was found dead...

Subbing into this. Looks very good so far.

Woo, another update! Looking at that last election, that's one very close result! I can imagine quite the mourning over Blanco's passing

Subbed, looking Great so far!

Subbing into this. Looks very good so far.

Many thanks to both of you!

Woo, another update! Looking at that last election, that's one very close result! I can imagine quite the mourning over Blanco's passing

I would have let him win, but right now the Philippines can't survive on the reduced tax income from LF. So he had to go.

________

Next update was written in a hurry, so I apologize for typos in advance.

Update 11: The Khmer Conquest

In May of 1863, Salcedo (taking a well-worn leaf out of Varona’s book) declared war on Cambodia with the intent of full annexation.

v2_45_zpsce0da3b5.jpg

v2_46_zps237f16f2.jpg

By now, the Philippine troops were quite battle-hardened, but their experience was wasted – after their army was defeated in defense of Dai Nam, they were more or less unable to mount any organized opposition, and so Cambodia was officially incorporated into the Philippines four months later. This conquest conferred little real advantage to the victors, but it generated some enthusiasm among the more hawkish elements of the Philippines.
v2_48_zpsc6c4b7b6.jpg

v2_49_zps4971eb9f.jpg

During the war another round of railroad expansion took place, funded largely by the government.

v2_47_zpsce140e11.jpg

On February 5, 1864, news reached the Philippines that their botanical expedition to Alaska had vanished. Sensational newspapers declared that they had been eaten by “Inuit cannibals.” The organizers of the expedition were ridiculed by some foreign powers, but nevertheless the mid 1860’s saw the Philippines ascend once again to become one of the most powerful nations in the world.

v2_50_zps7a219064.jpg

v2_51_zpsb81031c9.jpg

In April of 1685, a dispute with Burma caused some factions to call for a war, but the Burmese were under British protection, so the issue was quietly resolved.

v2_53_zpsf42ba9c0.jpg

The Netherlands, realizing that the Philippines were a threat to their colonial possessions, began making diplomatic overtures in order to dissuade them from an attack.

v2_54_zps6441d972.jpg

In late 1865, Egypt granted Philippine archaeologists permission to excavate the ancient ruins along the Nile basin. That same year, a new wave of imperialistic fervor took hold in the Philippines. Salcedo, sensing an impending opportunity, began contemplating further possibilities for expansion.

v2_56_zps7f1c871b.jpg

v2_55_zpsf31a2dec.jpg

I'd suggest a few years of letting your Infamy erode while waiting for Machine Guns. Then cover the Pacific in Philippino colonies.

Of course, since you've played ahead, that's so much white noise now. But I feel obligated to at least pretend to not be a backseat warmonger.:laugh:

I'd suggest a few years of letting your Infamy erode while waiting for Machine Guns. Then cover the Pacific in Philippino colonies.

Of course, since you've played ahead, that's so much white noise now. But I feel obligated to at least pretend to not be a backseat warmonger.:laugh:

The next few years are going to be a little more exciting than that... As for colonies, I'll do what I can with 2 NFs. :angry:

I'm going to try to get an update out soon, hopefully this week. There's much more in store for the islands of eternal warfare.

Update 12: Coinciding Colonial Conquests

Following the Annexation of Cambodia, Southeast Asia enjoyed almost exactly five years of peace. During those years, some progress was made in the area of economic organization, which boosted the Philippines’ production output slightly.

v2_1bmp_zpsd81f4427.jpg

v2_4bmp_zpse01d356f.jpg

Puente_claveria_zps6ccf1ed6.jpg

An iron bridge in Manila, one of the many signs of industrial progress.

In April of 1867, a team of explorers operating from Philippine Ethiopia was given the go-ahead to begin searching for the source of the Nile. Although it was expensive, the desire among the National Assembly to improve the islands’ international prestige outweighed any financial concerns.

v2_2bmp_zps63eaeab3.jpg

That July, Salcedo was officially sworn in for a second term as Governor General.

v2_3bmp_zpsa4968663.jpg

In 1868, partly due to urgings from ambitious generals and partly due to the presence of a tantalizing opportunity, the Philippines declared war on Siam. Siam was weakened from a recently lost war with Britain, and had no allies to speak of. Accordingly, in September of 1868, Filipino divisions began to march into Siamese territory.

v2_5bmp_zps19b8d432.jpg

v2_6bmp_zpsd60a47dd.jpg

Despite taking heavy attrition from the Siamese jungles, about 15,000 Filipino troops were able to dislodge the bulk of the Siamese forces from Bangkok. After this decisive encounter, the Siamese soldiers were driven onto the Malay Peninsula where they would later surrender.

v2_7bmp_zpsb3401152.jpg

v2_9bmp_zps28c99d6b.jpg

While war raged in Siam, across the Indian Ocean news came of two Filipino explorers who were killed after straying into Ethiopian territory. When the Ethiopian government refused to investigate, the colonial governor of Philippine Ethiopia asked for permission to declare war. His request was granted and in the first months of 1869, Ethiopian conscripts began to advance on their former homeland. Within a month the organized resistance had been cleared, and surrender came in July.

v2_10bmp_zpsf50f1935.jpg

v2_12bmp_zps3011476d.jpg

v2_15bmp_zps15f2f327.jpg

By July 1869 resistance in the southern part of Siam had been cleared, but the Siamese ruler had fled to the north and was still trying to encourage resistance to Philippine rule. The Filipino troops began to march north, leaving a skeleton garrison in the south. Just as the final brigades reached their new objectives, a massive rebellion erupted in the south, centered on Bangkok. It remains unclear as to whether or not this was fomented by the King.

v2_17bmp_zps645c5e04.jpg

v2_18bmp_zpsf41ece9f.jpg

Ultimately, it only succeeded in delaying the inexorable Filipino juggernaut – Siam surrendered on the 10th day of 1870.

v2_19bmp_zps94fec1f5.jpg

v2_22bmp_zpsbb496a26.jpg

v2_23bmp_zps95063b90.jpg

13 days before the surrender, news reached the Philippines of the initial failure of the Nile expedition. Fortunately, an economic boom was in progress, and the cost of sending the explorers out again was considered negligible.

v2_21bmp_zps0d15fbaf.jpg

Good update.

Can we see a world map?

Good update.

Can we see a world map?

Thanks! I'm planning for the next update to include a general overview of my various screens, and I'll try to throw in a world map a well. Europe has been rather crazy, with Prussia getting Alsace Lorraine and Franche-Comte, and then losing them again. Then Sweden annexed Bremen, and I believe Prussia freed it.

Very nice job. I bet you'll own all of the Far East before this is over.

Thanks! And just wait and see...

New update planned for tomorrow or the next day. It will mainly just be an overview of conditions before the colonial race begins. I have played through 1883, and the next few years are pretty productive - I'm pleased with how things turned out. The thing is, a lot if it is repetitive, so hopefully I will be able to cover the decade in two or at most three updates.

Anyways, thanks to all who are following in spite of my pathetically slow updates, and special thanks to those of you who have left comments.