• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Be able to place warrior dwarfs where you want and they stay there. Mainly for appearance purposes such as placing them in the throne room next to the prince as guards.

Being able to build a brewery and it increases happiness!

Have a hotkey that will reset the camera view to the default position that it starts at.

Build entertainment for the dwarves.

Make the fancier food tables bigger like the wood one. I prefer the wood one because it can handle more dwarves at once than the others.

Last edited:
I don't like how I can't move or sell something if a dwarf is using it.
I mean, I dig into a room and the miner beelines it for the chair. I have to wait until he's done napping and HOPE I can grab it before the next guy gets in it. ASKDF!
It's really annoying and wastes a lot of playtime. Especially when I'm trying to upgrade beds.

You can pause the game and teleport the dwarf out of the bed / chair.

That does not always work because the game unpauses itself at very bad times like whenever I teleport dwarves so that's a fix that doesn't always work and often ends in more frustration than if I would just wait for them to finish sleeping. I think that if I pause the game, it should not unpause itself until I tell it to! Don't even get me started on how frustrating it is when I hit pause and the dwarves are still moving around for 3-5 seconds.

I've been playing a lot of AGoD lately. Here's some things I think could/should be done.

1: For the love of god, performance improvements. I have a damn good computer - it may not be beastly the way it was two years ago, but it can more than hold its own. When 16+ miners spring into action, though AGoD starts chugging down. This should not happen.*
2: Related to (1), I'd like an opton for Dwarf Fortress-style dig designations. IE, click a tile to start the designation, click another tile and every tile between those on the X, Y and (toggleable) Z-axes is designated for digging.*

3: The ability to build UP on the surface. Now that we have constructable blocks, I'd like to build a structure aboveground, perhaps a nice church to go with all the gravestones I'm going to be putting up there.
4: The ability to use stone for fill-blocks in addition to wood. This is kind of a no-brainer, I'd think. I often find myself with far more stone than I know what to do with, and more coming in; I have to either spend it, or sell it.

5: A graceful way to handle overflow: if you overflow on a resource, it should automatically sell off, and if you overflow on money, the King should hold onto it until you have room in your coffers once more (maybe skimming 10/20% off the top?)
6: Something for Researchers to do once you've hit all the techs. As it stands, I get two, three, hit the cap quickly, and tell them "Thank you, gentledwarves, now your services are no longer required," and give them their marching orders back to Hemfort... If they're lucky. (If they're not lucky, I lock them in a cage, starve them to death, and use their tombstones to decorate.)

7: Dwarven socialization, perhaps? If you construct a dining hall with a massive crapton of tables and chairs, the dwarves will swarm it, which is cool; there should probably be dwarven banter and chatter going on there.
8: Perhaps a sandbox map at Hemfort, with the ability to ship off, rather than sack for resources, stuff. So you can, for instance, send back all those elven wall panels/floor tiles and gnomish furniture and Wizard apparati, and build a Dwarven Museum of Outsider Architecture. (I can't be the only one who plays the Prince up as being a collector of nifty stuff.)
9: Related to 8, perhaps you could have things you've stored at Hemfort shipped to your new fort for a nominal fee in gold? It would certainly make sense for the Dwarven Prince to, say, have a supply of things he's always going to want with him traveling with him: Master workbenches, etcetera. Probably not, since this would make it pretty easy to tech-up really quickly by just bringing Master research tables with you and deploying them long before you can build them normally.

Most importantly...

10: Add a Fullscreen Windowed mode!

I had to find a program to force AGoD into fake fullscreen mode. It'd be really nice if I didn't have to do that.

11: Related to the collecting, let Dwarves use non-dwarven food-tables to eat with, and non-dwarven book-tables to research at, just for that extra bit of panache that comes with pulling off a "Tonight, we dine in the enemy's commisary!"

Plus, Gnomish book-desks look awesome.

*For reference, my gameplay style involves simply excavating the entire underground layer-by-layer. AGoD slows down and starts chugging massively when you're mass-designating, and then when the dwarves spring into action, it chugs down into stuttering every two seconds or so.

Last edited:
I just had another thought.

We all know dwarves love wealth, right? Once you have more than you can spend, though, why not flaunt it?

We should be able to construct gold piles/pots of gold/chests overflowing with gold and jewels and other such tasteless displays of flagrant wealth. I find myself refusing to sell the wealth stuff I pull up out of underground caches, preferring instead to decorate with it. After all, what better, more Dwarvenly way to make an offering at the grave of a loved one or friend is there than to leave being a pile of cash? I mean, besides upending a flagon of mead on the tombstone, that is. And of course, the prince probably likes having his own throne room/lodge/house filled to the brim with gold. So, I think wealth piles should be morale-boosting items that you can either sell for cash, keep for morale, or even create to bolster morale/flaunt your gold/secondary way to store excess if you're near the cap.

[e]Oh, and another suggestion: make chairs usable from the sides and even the back as well as the front, and make usable tables - dining tables, research tables - usable if the person using them is sitting down. I really hate seeing all my researchers standing in front of their research tables like they're a pack of mages rather than bookworms and scientists. I also like the idea of the Prince sitting a desk in front of his throne.

I just had another thought.

We all know dwarves love wealth, right? Once you have more than you can spend, though, why not flaunt it?

We should be able to construct gold piles/pots of gold/chests overflowing with gold and jewels and other such tasteless displays of flagrant wealth. I find myself refusing to sell the wealth stuff I pull up out of underground caches, preferring instead to decorate with it. After all, what better, more Dwarvenly way to make an offering at the grave of a loved one or friend is there than to leave being a pile of cash? I mean, besides upending a flagon of mead on the tombstone, that is. And of course, the prince probably likes having his own throne room/lodge/house filled to the brim with gold. So, I think wealth piles should be morale-boosting items that you can either sell for cash, keep for morale, or even create to bolster morale/flaunt your gold/secondary way to store excess if you're near the cap.

[e]Oh, and another suggestion: make chairs usable from the sides and even the back as well as the front, and make usable tables - dining tables, research tables - usable if the person using them is sitting down. I really hate seeing all my researchers standing in front of their research tables like they're a pack of mages rather than bookworms and scientists. I also like the idea of the Prince sitting a desk in front of his throne.

You can, but you have to check the box in the options panel when setting up a custom game to allow building of non dwarven items. I check it and always place gold piles, pots'o' gold etc.

You can, but you have to check the box in the options panel when setting up a custom game to allow building of non dwarven items. I check it and always place gold piles, pots'o' gold etc.

No, I mean in Campaign mode.

[e]On the subject of tasteless flaunting of wealth, how about a solid gold statue of King Father, 2x2 at the base and 4 squares high? Should cost a literally obscene amount of money (like, say, 10,000 gold or something,) and take go-make-yourself-some-ramen-soup-and-tea amounts of time (say, 20 working-minutes at fast-forward speed with a novice, non-teched builder,) to construct. When completed, the game pauses, and King Father says "Well! I like the cut of your jib!" or something to that effect... And that's it. It looks pretty.

I would LOVE the ability to right click menus to have them go back instead of having to click that tiny little green arrow.
Also, I'd like a small bar along the bottom of ten favorite creations.
For example: When I'm building a ladder, I can place them in the game world like normal, and if i click the small bar a little ladder appears on it. Now instead of having to open the crafting menus all over again next time I can just click the small ladder on the bar and Voila! I can start placing ladders again.

I would LOVE the ability to right click menus to have them go back instead of having to click that tiny little green arrow.
For example: When I'm building a ladder, I can place them in the game world like normal, and if i click the small bar a little ladder appears on it. Now instead of having to open the crafting menus all over again next time I can just click the small ladder on the bar and Voila! I can start placing ladders again.

Ooooh! I like the idea of a Favorites menu. A hot-bar for favorites, though, doesn't quite seem like enough. It's not something I'd want on my screen all the time, just when I'm in build mode (as opposed to dig mode.) Perhaps it should be much larger than, say, ten slots, you could put anything in it? When you raise the menu, it replaces the normal bottom-of-the-screen menu, and when you get rid of it, it vanishes entirely except for the bit that raises it?

You CAN right click menus instead of clicking the green arrow to go back one menu. It's the only way that I play the game, I would absolutely HATE this game if I had to always click the green arrow to go back one menu.

Try it, it's already in the game.

Yet another suggestion came to me, and this is probably gonna generate more DLC, knowing my luck, but so be it:

Aesthetic theme stuff, to match materials we Dwarves already have.

For instance, a wooden theme pack. There's already some wood in the game, but there could be more. We have plaster, we have bare wood, we have two styles of wood flooring, and one (now two, with the Harvest pack) wooden tables and two wooden chairs.

Where's the stout, sturdy wood clad in iron? Where's the elegant wooden table inlaid with bright, shiny silver?

Where's the metal stuff, too? There's no iron ladder (it's wood, with some iron cladding, not the same thing,) no iron walls, or floor... No iron doors, and least not that we can construct. How am I gonna build a dungeon like this, huh? I've gotta have somewhere to shove my malcontents, layabouts, and dwarflingsmalingerers.

Another thing I was desperate for (when constructing my graveyard,) is proper fences. The options are to jury-rig it with ladders (backside goes towards the way you don't want things to climb,) use enormous, sight-blocking palisade or stone walls, or go whole-hog and install an entire block. It would be nice if we had fences, especially moreso if they didn't block line of sight and dwarves/ranged enemies could attack through them, but melee would need to go around/knock them down.

Reduce the frequency of diggable wealth on the map and let our dwarves craft various objects from raw materials to sell. The craftsdwarf needs a workshop to make himself useful to the clan when he's not building the occasional bed, door, or training dummy. I want him hammering away at some kind of dwarven masterpiece in his spare time. Crafting special items would be a long process, similar to how the researchers work.

Or give us a proper smith to do all that. :D

Some Ideas...

- Smith workshop
- Doctor/hospital
- Fire
- Dwarves Fire Warden
- Water well with wishing well and bucket
- Dwarves lifts/Elevator (by an Dwarves operator?)

Yeah, I've also got about four hours playtime into 1.2 and honestly, I'm barely noticing the changes made to the wood:gold system. The economy of the game (and it's a stretch to even call it that) has merely gone from silly to practically non-existent with the nerfage of the wood industry. I'm proposing the wealth system is re-worked and balanced in such a way as to give players more avenues to gain wealth other than simply digging for blocks of silver/gold/platinum. For instance, if a craftsdwarf could use that surplus of stone or marble to make statuettes that sold on the Hemfort market for 200 or 300 gold each. Of course it would take a good while to make them (and speed/quality of the item might be dependent upon the crafter's level), and it would have to be balanced in such a way as to provide a reasonable source of income without being exploitable; my suggestion to reduce wealth blocks would only apply as a counterbalance with a crafting system like this in place.

So basically, I'm proposing a sort of catchall solution to everyone's gripes with how wealth is accumulated in the game. You're still basically just trading one resource for another, but at least with a crafting system, the player will feel more engaged with the process.

Also, I'd just like to add that something like this would also give ZEAL plenty of things to provide in the DLC shop in the form of craftable item packs. There would be many possibilities for the developers and the players with a well-thought-out crafting/trading system.

Last edited:
Double post, but this is a separate suggestion. :D

Training dummies should be tweaked:

Soldiers through levels 1-5 should only attack Simple dummies or greater.
Soldiers through levels 5-10 should only attack Adept or Master dummies.
Soldiers at level 15+ should only attack Master dummies.

As it stands now, it's very difficult to level up new recruits with veteran soldiers around because the vets pick on the weak dummies without giving the newbies a chance.

Also, to avoid a triple-post I will go ahead and point out that the beds for level 1 and 2 tier research don't seem right. The Comfy Bed is available from tier 1, costs 75G/75W and gives 3 Happiness / 3 Rest. The Roundframe bed unlocks at tier 2, costs 50G/50W and gives 2 Happiness / 2 Rest. This seems backwards. Roundframe bed should be available from research tier 1, Comfy Bed should unlock at tier 2.

I've seen it come up a few times, and noticed it myself too: It would be awesome if the "home" ("pos 1") key could return the camera view to the default state. Something similar can be achieved by focusing on the prince, but it's not quite the same.