Stellaris - Console Edition

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Dumb Myth about Game Development #1: if you throw a lot of programmers at a game, it will develop sooner and be more bugfree
Actual truth: What one programmer can do in one month, two can do in two months

In other words, moving programmers of Console Edition to PC version won't do anything to make the game develop faster.

And this is why most big developers, in fact, have only 1 programmer. Right?

The Stellaris development team only designs and develops for PC. Anything that needs to be adapted for console is adapted on the console version itself, not on the PC version.

That's reassuring! I'd be very surprised if Paradox of all companies started compromising design for console, but stranger things have happened... possibly.

In the list of Things Nobody Asked For Nor Wanted...

Stellaris.
On Consoles.

This is a dumb idea, and whoever had it should be fired. From a canon.
If you guys hurry up and scrub it, we can pretend we never saw this. Promise.

I don't know of a SINGLE game ever that didn't have its menus, options or other stuff changed to fit the limitations of a console. In every game that had a console version somethings were changed to accomodate the console that could have been done many times better if just on a PC. Will this be the first?

I don't know of a SINGLE game ever that didn't have its menus, options or other stuff changed to fit the limitations of a console. In every game that had a console version somethings were changed to accomodate the console that could have been done many times better if just on a PC. Will this be the first?

Gameplay isn't being changed, the UI is (mainly menus and how you access them and the info in them).

We made it very clear when we started this project that we wanted to replicate the entire Stellaris experience, as it is on PC, onto console.

We're very pleased with how it's turned out so far.

Will there be some connectivity between console and pc edition ? E.g. sharing save files, empires, mods, maybe multiplayer...
While I doubt I will buy the console version, It is an interessting idea nonetheless.

It would be a sure way to get over tediously long soundchecks when the other band is taking its sweet time again :D (if there would be a Switch release, that is)

Edit.: most of those questions are answered by both editions not sharing the same patch :(

Last edited:
Gameplay isn't being changed, the UI is (mainly menus and how you access them and the info in them).

The UI and how you access things is a very integral part of the gameplay "experience". And this experience often suffers a lot (very interleaved menus, lists instead of grids...) when it comes to console versions. I really hope that this isn't the case here but i can't stop this bad foreboding.

My only concern is how this will impact us going forward. Is it now a concern of the development team about how new features will translate to consoles?

Won't affect game design, PC will keep doing what it wants to do and then we figure out afterwards how to translate it to console.

The console port is being done by an entirely separate team and has no impact on the velocity of main Stellaris development at all.
They are working in parallel with us.
Since it's still Stellaris, but now supported in 2 versions, will the budget for the PC-version be cutted to fund the console-one ?

Edit:
Don't misinterpret this statement, that it's my will to cut the PC-version-budget in favour for the console-one since it's not the case.

Last edited:
In the list of Things Nobody Asked For Nor Wanted...

Stellaris.
On Consoles.

This is a dumb idea, and whoever had it should be fired. From a canon.
If you guys hurry up and scrub it, we can pretend we never saw this. Promise.

Um, my brother, 3 of my close console scrub friends who's watched me play, definitely my Starwars geek 12 year old nephew, and just about everyone else who wants to play Stellaris but can't afford a powerful enough PC to run it well from game start to game end. Which is probably a surprisingly large number if you've ever seen the mid/low range gaming PC/console ownership ratio.

The only thing that needs to be fired from a cannon is your short-sighted, awful outlook on the matter.

Plus it like, literally doesn't affect you.. not in the slightest..

Oh, and I hope a company in the gaming industry NEVER hires you to make profitable business decisions.. ever

Hmm, I'll be quite interested in seeing some reviews once it comes out (though as I don't even have any console (or ever had or probably ever will) it doen't actually concern me directly).

We made it very clear when we started this project that we wanted to replicate the entire Stellaris experience, as it is on PC, onto console.

To be fair, your UI on PC is substandard, primarily because you've sized the various windows to fit small resolution laptop screen sizes, with the result that on what is still the most commonly used resolution for PC gaming, 1080p, you've got lots of screen real estate left over when the small windows with long scrollable lists are shown, where the player is much better off - and would be in any UI that was designed for 1080p - with shorter lists and more options shown on screen at the same time, sometimes obviating scrolling entirely. (The research window being the worst offender, but certainly not the only one)

Which explains why the 1080p UI mod is so darn popular.

Fortunately Tantalus shouldn't be facing that particular bugbear in their PS4 and X-box port. :)

Since it's still Stellaris, but now supported in 2 versions, will the budget for the PC-version be cutted to fund the console-one ?
That would be an insane business decision, so no.

So long as Stellaris PC DLC is profitable, development of the Stellaris code base will be funded.

So long as Stellaris Console DLC is profitable (after a start up phase where it might possibly run at a loss while building a customer base), console porting will be funded until it has caught up, unless something terrible happens to Tantalus (the company doing the porting) and PDS has to start over with a new company.

When it has caught up, or is only one DLC behind and about to catch up, that's when the interesting questions arise, because at that point porting each new DLC ought to be routine for the Tantalus team assigned to it, and the question arises whether it makes sense to aim for simultaneous release of DLC across platforms or whether there's still an advantage to releasing on PC first, something that is for technical and market reasons nowhere near as easy a question to answer as it might appear on the surface.

I honestly do wish you luck and success. I hope you sell them like hotcakes and make a fortune.

But please remember who the base customers are. Too often companies just move away from the PC. (Rockstar I'm looking at you). Or they make decisions on future capabilities because the console menus via controllers or processing power won't be able to handle it. (Bioware and others I'm looking at you).

I honestly do wish you luck and success. I hope you sell them like hotcakes and make a fortune.

But please remember who the base customers are. Too often companies just move away from the PC. (Rockstar I'm looking at you). Or they make decisions on future capabilities because the console menus via controllers or processing power won't be able to handle it. (Bioware and others I'm looking at you).
I suggest you read the other dev comments, Paradox is not "moving away from PC" and the existence of a console port has no reason in this context to influence PC development.

Just thinking about how the controls for this might be ported over I've reached over and over to the same conclusion.

imposibru.jpg

And this is why most big developers, in fact, have only 1 programmer. Right?
No, but asking PDX to bring add a whole new team from an external company instead of letting them port the game is stupid

I suggest you read the other dev comments, Paradox is not "moving away from PC" and the existence of a console port has no reason in this context to influence PC development.
Many companies have said the same in the past too. This how Bioware's downfall started for example. Dragon Age: Origins was a PC game, but the sequel was clearly made for consoles. Yet they said repeatedly that were a PC company

Status
Not open for further replies.