• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Arithmetician

Lt. General
16 Badges
Sep 17, 2017
  • Stellaris
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Stellaris: Humanoids Species Pack
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Stellaris: Distant Stars
  • Stellaris: Megacorp
  • Stellaris: Ancient Relics
  • Stellaris: Lithoids
  • Stellaris: Federations
  • Stellaris: Necroids
  • Stellaris: Nemesis
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
Sethano paused to look back at the burning building, the last temple on Terra.

It was such a waste.

The kindly priest who had long watched the temple could have had a place at her side, helping bring reason and true enlightenment to humanity across the galaxy.

Instead, he had chosen to cling to the past, and had cast himself back into the burning temple.

Soon, the superstition of religion would be a thing of past, and humanity would be reunited under one rule.

Her rule.

Luminary Sethano.png

She had long guided humanity, in different guises, sometimes as a man, sometimes as a woman. Sethano was merely her latest persona, externally appearing about 34 years of age, stern enough for the bloody task waging the Unification Wars, but also bringing out her maternal instincts, so that she could nurture those she ruled like her own children.

She would illuminate the way for humanity, leading them into a bright future.

Starbase Terra 30k.png

But first, she had to lead the people of Terra on a Great Crusade into the galaxy, to bring her Truth to the divided and scattered empires of humanity, forging them into a singular Imperium of Mankind.

Only when the forces of Chaos were eradicated and the xenos subjugated would humanity truly be safe.

Terra 30K.png

While the last temple on Terra had just fallen into a smoldering ruin, Sethano had reluctantly been forced to make an alliance with the Tech-Priests of Mars. Their superstitions were rightfully another relic of the past, but only they had the infrastructure and technological base she needed in order to construct a navy in a fashion timely enough to bring her Great Crusade to the stars before the window of opportunity had passed. The cathedral-like designs of the ships and the starbase they had constructed for her upon the conclusion of their alliance were hideous and wasteful, but they would serve her purposes for now.

Stellaris 30K Start.png

And so, on 01.01.798M30, the Great Crusade was officially launched in earnest.

The priest’s last words to her were but a memory as she turned, and led her genome warriors to the galaxy they would conquer.

“You say you want to illuminate the path forward for humanity without gods, but beware that they do not begin to worship you as a god."

But Sethano knew that there was a key difference between her, and all of the ignorant crusaders who had come before her.

She was right.

• 2Like
Reactions:
Building the Grim Dark Future
Hi! Arithmetician here!

Nearly two years ago, I did a Warhammer 40K-based Stellaris run, "Stellaris 42,000: The Imperium Reformatus - As Ever in the Grim Dark Future, There Is Only War"

Since then, the ‘Under One Rule’ Origin came out, and I had the inspiration to do another Warhammer based run, but this time in the 30K / Great Crusade era, which the origin was practically written for.

Unfortunately, at the time that I was setting up such a run, my father passed away in May, and then I had a serious health issue myself (which is going better now), which made me not be in the mood for Stellaris for some time. But fast forward to November, I was finally ready to revisit the idea for the campaign.

Stellaris 30K Setup.png

Humanity in this play through is largely modeled after baseline humanity, with the addition of Perfected Genes, from the origin, Rapid Breeders (to represent how numerous humanity is in 30K/40K), and Unruly, to pay for that trait, and since when is humanity good on actually agreeing on things?

Starting civics are Crusader Spirit (it is the Great CRUSADE, and it allows for more interesting options than if we were just Fanatic Purifiers), and Distinguished Admiralty, which is both a very strong militaristic civic that works well with Crusader Spirit, but more importantly, synergizes with our Luminary.

Xenophobe is obligatory for the Imperium, whether as 30K or 40K, and crucially, it allows us to purge xenos. While I am pragmatic enough not to purge ALL xenos, since pops are power in Stellaris, I will make it a roleplaying rule that any Khornate, Nurglite, Tzeentchian, Slaaneshi, Chaos Demon, or Chaos Cultist pops MUST be purged via an Extermination purge, Armageddon bombardment, or world-cracking Exterminatus via a Colossus, if possible. Chaos is NOT to be tolerated in the Imperium.

Militarist is also key, since we will focusing on building a powerful navy to subjugate both xenos empires and scattered human empires that are not in compliance with the Imperial Truth.

And lastly, the 30K Imperium is definitely Materialist, being explicitly anti-religion (at least officially). This will also allow us to take on Relentless Industrialists as a planned third civic later, representing the environmental degradation (and enormous output) of the Mechanicum’s Forge Worlds.

Luminary Build Stellaris 30k.png

And our Luminary is Sethano, in a nod to our eventual Empress of Mankind from Stellaris 42,000K. Sethano is an admiral, which with her Origin and Distinguished Admiralty means she will start at Level VI. As for her traits, she starts with Genome Artist and Titan of Industry as positive ones, and Blunt as her negative trait.

Early game, a leveled up Genome Artist is actually more impactful on one’s economy, as if one levels it up twice (which Sethano starting at Level VI will allow me to do), it gives -30% pop upkeep. That is a lot of extra food and consumer goods for an early colonization rush, which is highly incentivized by the Origin, which gives points for leveling up the Luminary trait based on how many planets and systems you control within the first 40 years of the game. Moreover, it is very fitting with the canonical backstory of the Emperor of Mankind, or in Sethano’s case, the eventual Empress of Mankind.

Titan of Industry doubles down on the economy-boosting traits, and not only reflects Sethano’s alliance with the Tech-Priests of Mars, but also the industrial tendencies of Sethano from my 42K game.

Given that the Origin rewards being highly aggressive, Blunt is practically a free pick for us. Xenos are to be subjugated or enslaved (or purged if they are Chaos-aligned). Any negotiations with xenos are with the eventual goal of subjugating them, but war will be our preferred instrument of expansion. Moreover, Blunt is the only starting negative trait of the ones available to use with our ethics that does not damage our economy or unity production in some way.

This is NOT an ironman/achievements compatible run. I do use Gulli’s planet modifiers as the main gameplay altering mod, along with a mod that permits Armageddon bombardment stance for all empires of certain ethics - after all, what would 30/40K be without a proper Exterminatus? Wild Space is another key mod, making some parts of the galaxy entirely uncolonizable, representing regions of space where Warp Storms rage, which will at times lead to interesting galactic geography, and make it so that we are still discovering secrets in the galaxy even late into the game.

I also sparingly used console commands, but this was primarily either to correct the occasional bug, or trigger certain events to challenge me for AAR narrative purposes.

(It took me HOURS to get a proper spawn right near the center of Segmentum Solar... fortunately, I was doing other things in the meantime. It was still frustrating though, so I’m glad I was able to get a good campaign from that start.)

Difficulty is Grand Admiral with Midgame Scaling, set to maximize by 75 years in. Given the early game emphasis of Under One Rule, I wanted to have a more active start, rather than just turtling for the first several decades.

And now that I’ve got that out of the way, I hope you enjoy this AAR!

Last edited:
  • 2Like
Reactions:
Huh. I'll follow, even if I don't follow Warhammer 40k.

This sounds fascinating. Were the Empire eventually face large revolts?

The Chaos gods are the Shroud entities, right?

• 1Like
Reactions:
@Arithmetician returns! I'm ready to roll, let's bring the cosmos to heel!

what would 30/40K be without a proper Exterminatus?
Even without Exterminatus, this empire is probably what Palpatine dreams about every night.

• 1Haha
Reactions:
As someone who's quite a bit knowledgeable on WH40K, this sure is going to be a wild as hell ride. I take it the Primarchs are gonna be female as well as much as Big E being a woman too? Make sure to watch out for anyone named Erebus ;) . And hopefully psykers would be treated decently this time around.

Reactions:
@TWR97

(While I am sure that you are probably more knowledgable on 40K than I am, this was still a run that I had a lot of fun with. I played a bit fast and loose with some parts of the lore, but I think I was able to decently recreate other parts of it over the course of the game. I’ll see if I can post a chapter of this in the relatively near future).

01.01.798M30 - 04.25.802M30: The Promise and an Enigma
The Council.png

As of the end of the Unification Wars, Sethano had drawn a number of skilled individuals to her cause.

Chief among them was her War Master, Faustus Tancus. Known for his aggressive, skirmishing tactics and his zeal, he had adopted a wolf as his battle standard, and would lead the Great Crusade’s fleets into the galaxy

Stansilav Paseski was a Tech-Priest which a knack for archaeology, which Sethano hoped would help them uncover the secrets of mankind’s lost technology for use in the Crusade and Imperium to come.

And supervising economic affairs back on Terra was Thecia Aquissius, who had risen far from the lowly position of Clerk with her excellent administrative skills.

The Promise.png

Yet while Terra was unified through the luminous vision that Sethano had promised of mankind’s future glory as the rightful masters of the stars, as well as copious amounts of bloodshed, there were still those who quietly questioned if she was actually capable of delivering upon that promise.

Sethano would prove them wrong.

Warmaster Faustus immediately departed from Terra, scouting nearby systems for any surviving human colonies or hostile xenos, while Sethano started recruiting more tech priest Explorators to survey these systems for usuable resources and artifacts.

It wasn’t long before they started reporting valuable finds.

Sirius III Zro Discovered.png

Sothis Floating Continent.png

Sirius III, which was soon renamed Sothis, was rich in resources, especially on its floating continents, and there were deposits of a rare aerosol known as Zro that strongly enhanced the abilities of any Psykers who consumed it, at the cost of being highly addictive.

30K Encounter in Alpha Centuari.png

Mining Drones Alpha Centauri.png

It didn’t take long for the Imperium to encounter hostile xenos, in the Alpha Centauri system. Automated Mining Drones, and their expansion fleets, were found busily exploiting the system.

The drones had originally been a human invention during the Dark Age of Technology, but they had long since gone out of control, and were at best a nuisance, and at worst a menace to all who encountered them. Indeed, the drones tried to strip the hull of the Explorator vessel that encountered them before it managed to retreat.

Ancient Archaeopolis Wasat IV.png

But the greatest trove of treasures was found on the ancient archaeopolis of Wasat IV.

It had a thin atmosphere. Most of what remained was fairly toxic without special equipment. And it was crawling with mutated xenos monstrosities.

Wasat Precusor Shipyards.png

Precursor Obselisks.png

But its vast planetary shipyards from the Dark Age of Technology, as well as obelisks that channeled psionic power and appeared to be connected to the ancient Aeldari Webways, made it a prize that Sethano could not possibly ignore.

Precursor Ship Enigma.png

And docked among the ruined shipyard, an ancient battleship was discovered.

It was quickly pressed into service and given the name Enigma due to its unknown origins.

Engima Technology.png

Its technology was incomprehensibly beyond anything that the Imperium was capable of.

Battle of Alpha Centauri 30K Engima vs Drones.png

And it was perfectly suited for disposing of the Mining drones menacing Alpha Centauri.

But Sethano and Warmaster Faustus knew that where there was one group of mining drones, others were sure to be found in nearby systems.

So with the Enigma as their flagship, they moved to purge the sector of the threat.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Well, that is an inauspicious first contact, which is fitting for 40k.

Is the Shroud meant to be the Warp here? Will we begin to see... bad things happening once it's discovered?

Also, are the other 40k races going to spawn in this galaxy?

Reactions:
11.27.802M30 - 02.12.812M30: Expansion, Celebration, and Experiments
Battle of Formalhaut 30K.png

The Engima continued to clear out hostile mining drones, next in the Formalhaut System.

Precursor Remnants van Maanen's Star.png

More ancient ruins from the Dark Age of Technology was discovered on an arctic world orbiting van Maanen’s Star, which Explorators were eager to study.

Luminary's Guidance.png

Meanwhile, the new cities being built on Sothis were a testament to the splendor of the Imperium, all the more so after Sethano not only allocated generous funding to the project, but stepped in to personally direct the construction process.

Rich Monument.png

The citizens of the Imperium celebrated in their shared triumph, made possible through their hard work and Sethano’s guidance.

Alpha Centauri IIa.png

The Imperium continued to expand to nearby systems. Alpha Centauri had an exceptionally mineral-rich moon, which would go a long way to fueling the Imperium’s growing industry.

Sothis Unexpected Mineral Seams.png

And still more seams of valuable minerals were later discovered on Sothis as well.

Feral Behavior Sothis.png

However, this mining opened up a cavern filled with a large number of cave mushrooms that released spores that caused feral behavior in a number of the colonists on Sothis. It was also soon determined, however, that these spores could be filtered and processed into industrially useful exotic gases, another boon to the Imperium and its economy.

Battle of Banard's Star Enigma.png

Battle of Banard's Star Lance.png

The war against the mining drones continued around Banard’s Star. The Enigma absorbed the drone’s fire with its powerful shield, and then made short work of them with its strike craft and powerful lance weapon.

Sethano Experimental starbase.png

While the Imperial Navy continued to expand under Sethano’s leadership, she also led the development of an experimental starbase in the Wasat System, ideally situated to exploit its precursor shipyards.

Next on the agenda would be expanding her council to bring in more qualified leaders who she could entrust portions of her vision to...

• 1Like
Reactions:
The Imperium is doing well. When will things start going wrong?

Also, what Chaos God does the End of the Cycle correspond to since the Shroud is the Warp? The Instrument of Desire is Slaanesh, the Eater of Worlds is Khorne, the Composer of Strands is Nurgle, and the Whisperers in the Void are Tzeentch, right?

• 1Like
Reactions: