Stellaris 42,000: The Imperium Reformatus - As Ever in the Grim Dark Future, There is Only War

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Arithmetician

Lt. General
16 Badges
Sep 17, 2017
  • Stellaris
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Stellaris: Humanoids Species Pack
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Stellaris: Distant Stars
  • Stellaris: Megacorp
  • Stellaris: Ancient Relics
  • Stellaris: Lithoids
  • Stellaris: Federations
  • Stellaris: Necroids
  • Stellaris: Nemesis
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
The Imperium of Man, as it was, has fallen. Centuries ago, the raging Warp Storms that cut across the galaxy encroached on the Sol System and Holy Terra itself, the heart of the Imperium. The rest of the Imperium was immediately cut off from the light of the Astronomican, the psychic manifestation of the Emperor’s will, at the time the only reliable guide to ships traveling between star systems through the horrors of the daemon-infested Warp. Isolated and with no means of calling for help, the countless worlds of the Imperium were each swallowed up by the darkness, one by one.

In the Sol System, the situation was no less dire. Traitor Legions and the daemons of the four Chaos Gods, Khorne, Tzeentch, Nurgle, and Slaanesh, descended upon the defenders of the last bastion of the Imperium and the cradle of humanity itself, their victory certain. The Forge World Principal of Mars, home to the tech-priests of the Adeptus Mechanicus, was scoured of all life by relentless orbital bombardment, and the the Red Planet’s vast Ring of Iron, which had once produced countless ships for the Imperium’s mighty battle fleets, was shattered. On Holy Terra, the invading daemons took to the streets, systematically butchering most of the planet’s inhabitants.

Yet, by the Emperor’s grace, a miracle occurred. To this day, no one knows exactly how, save that it came at a tremendous cost, but the daemons were driven back, and the Warp Storms receded. Humanity had survived, if only barely.

It has been said since time immemorial that it is always darkest before the dawn. Even with the daemon’s retreat, Holy Terra lay in ruins, many of the survivors would subsequently succumb to starvation, and the Emperor’s light would persist only as a flicker next to its former radiance, sufficient to prevent further daemonic incursions into the Sol System, but inadequate for supporting interstellar travel. That was all that could be managed, with far too few psykers among the survivors left to sustain any greater exertion of the Emperor’s will. And even that would not last forever. The Golden Throne upon which the Emperor had sat immobile for over 10,000 years had already been gradually failing, but now, the Emperor’s body was in an accelerated state of decline. In other words, the Master of Mankind was dying.

Yet the near-total destruction of the Imperium made possible perhaps a greater miracle still.

After ten thousand years of stagnation, the Imperium began to reform itself.

Change never comes quickly or easily to entrenched institutions, especially those as ossified as the Imperium's, but compared to the ten millennia before, it came at a breakneck pace. Most of the old guard had perished with the sack of Terra, the hardliners disproportionately among them. It was a fact that was taken as a sign by the people of Terra that the hardliners had lost the Emperor’s favor, and many came to interpret the sack as a divine punishment casting down those who had become complacent in the face of humanity’s many foes. Of course, the surviving hardliners were not about to surrender their power willingly, and so a bloody civil war ensued on Terra itself.

Opposing the hardliners were a new guard, first and foremost pragmatists. Some were loyalists of the vanished Lord Commander Guilliman, who had once ruled the prosperous realm of Ultramar within the greater Imperium, bringing to it a standard of living and industrial might rivaling most other sectors. Guilliman had tried to reform the Imperium during his tenure as Lord Commander, but even he, the Emperor’s Avenging Son, had struggled against the inertia inherent in its systems. Others were followers of the Archmagos Dominus, Belisarius Cawl, also lost to an unknown fate, who had pursued technological innovation when his fellow tech-priests in the Adeptus Mechanicus had shunned it in favor of slavish adherence to tradition and ritual. They were joined by certain Radicals within the Inquisition, who finally saw their chance to tear down the corrupt edifices that had contributed to the Imperium’s fall, so it could be rebuilt anew, as the shining beacon of progress that the Emperor had clearly intended. Those who stubbornly clung to the past were the true heretics, who had perverted the Emperor’s grand vision, and so they would be put to the sword and consigned to the flames, for the good of mankind.

The regime that emerged still called itself the Imperium of Man, and saw a continuation of many of its institutions, but all that did were changed, whether in ways subtle or profound. Driven on by revanchist fervor, and the need to deliver results, lest humanity face extinction, it began a program of scientific research under the auspices of a reconstituted and now Cawlite-dominated Adeptus Mechanicus. The old method of Warp Drive-based travel was no longer viable with the dimmed light of the Astronomican, and most of the Navigator families, who had been able to perceive its light, had been wiped out by the daemons of Chaos during the Sack of Terra. Moreover, the Cawlite-led Mechanicus was keenly aware that having a single point of failure was what had led to the downfall of the Old Imperium. The Hyper Drives that were the fruit of their research bypassed the roiling miasma of the daemon-infested Immaterium, following stable “hyperlanes” that existed at fixed points between star systems. While they could not yet match the speed of the Old Imperium’s Warp Drives, Hyper Drive travel promised to be far safer and more reliable than Warp travel had ever been.

And so, on 01.01.200M43, also known as the year 42,200 in the 43rd Millennium, the reborn Imperium of Man, or as it would sometimes be called, the "Imperium Reformatus", took once more to the stars, ready to reclaim the galaxy for human dominion.

Holy Terra Location.png

It might not have actually been 200.M43. Even back in the days of Lord Commander Guilliman, the Imperial Calendar had been discovered to be so riddled with errors and deliberate alterations, that the nominal date might have been off from the actual one by a millennium in either direction. In the darkness following the Sack of Terra, the true date was even less certain. While the Imperium Reformatus held that it had been several centuries since the Sack, it could have really been far longer than that. But from now on, it would be considered 200.M43 nevertheless.

And in truth, quibbling over the exact year was a luxury few could afford. For while the Imperium Reformatus was quite different from the previous incarnation of the Imperium of Man in many respects, humanity’s many foes were still certainly out there, waiting to strike should it show any weakness.

As ever in the grim dark future, there would only be war.

Last edited:
  • 2Like
  • 1Love
Reactions:
Lovely. I know little of warhammer 40k, but I know I like this. :)

• 1Love
Reactions:
(About the Campaign)
(Hi! It’s Arithmetician again!)

(This AAR documents my current campaign in Stellaris. It’s based on an idea that I had in my head for a while - to play in a galaxy where almost all nations are hostile to me. Then, I saw on YouTube, the “Hostile Galaxy Challenge” independently proposed by another user. While I am sticking to my own version of the challenge, rather than strictly following theirs, I set any AI empires to spawn as Fanatic Purifiers, Determined Exterminators, Driven Assimilators, Devouring Swarms, Terravores, Barbaric Despoilers, or Subversive Cults. After the fact, I think I messed up slightly in the settings upon generating my galaxy, as there ultimately emerged a few nations that didn’t conform to those settings, though I think most of them can be accounted for as Primitives that achieved FTL technology, with perhaps only one major nation that didn’t fit with the personality types above. Either way, it is still an EXTREMELY hostile galaxy.)

(To make it even more hostile, most AIs are set to Advanced Starts, and Aggressiveness is High, with the difficulty being Grand Admiral. Crisis Strength is set to 25X and ALL THREE vanilla crises e.g. Unbidden, Contingency, and Prethoryn are set to appear if the game goes on for long enough. No Katzen, Aeternum, or Blokkats from Gigastructures though... those are specifically disabled).

(This game is significantly modded, including but not limited to Warhammer 40K ship mods for the Imperium and Chaos, Real Space, Gulli’s Planet Modifiers, Expanded Stellaris Traditions, Dynamic Political Events, Technology Repeated, Gigastructural Engineering, and “Wild Space” to represent areas of space that can’t be claimed by any empire due to raging Warp Storms. At the cost of performance, which I am already starting to notice, the pop growth scaling penalty has been removed, to allow for a representation of the extremely populated Imperial Hive Worlds from 40K (Hive as in “Hive of Humanity”, not as in “Hive Mind”). This also means the AI will have more pops and powerful economies as well, on top of the general AI improvements made in 3.2, which I am also noticing very much throughout this play through. Gigastructures also was included because it generally fits in with the utter insanity that is Warhammer 40K.)

(Despite the fact that this game is not ironman compatible, I will be refraining from using any cheats via console commands, except if needed to correct the occasional minor bug that I encounter, and only insomuch as necessary to produce the proper intended behavior. So, for example, that means I have not previewed the galaxy with the “observe” command, and thus have no idea where my enemies are at the start. That, paired with the abundant nebulas added from “Wild Space”, will add to an air of mystery and threat in the galaxy).

(While I did a bit of research into 40K’s lore before starting this campaign, I am far from an expert on it myself. That is one of the reasons that I had the campaign start in the 43rd millennium, and had the Old Imperium of Man collapse. It both justifies the standard one-planet Stellaris start, and it allows me far more narrative freedom to play the Imperium Reformatus, without being overly constrained by the canon Imperium. And really, developing an empire, researching technology, and all of those routine activities in Stellaris are very much things that the canon Imperium of Man doesn’t really do BECAUSE it’s stagnant.)

(I hope you will all enjoy reading!)

Last edited:
  • 2Like
  • 1Love
Reactions:
To make it even more hostile, most AIs are set to Advanced Starts, and Aggressiveness is High, with the difficulty being Grand Admiral. Crisis Strength is set to 25X and ALL THREE vanilla crises e.g. Unbidden, Contingency, and Prethoryn are set to appear if the game goes on for long enough.
Yup. That Galaxy is definitely hostile.

R.I.P. EVERYONE

The Vision - 01.01.200.M43
Within the dormitories of the Schola Progenium on Holy Terra, Sethano Horst dreamed.

It was a dream that had come to her before.

God-Emperor Golden Throne.jpg

A man sat unmoving upon an enormous throne, inextricably connected to its arcane mechanisms. By all outward appearances, he was more of a corpse than a man, mummified, and with much of his body decayed. His face had been reduced to a skull, and his ribcage was exposed.

Anyone in the Imperium would instantly recognize who the man was.

He was none other than the immortal Master of Mankind, the God-Emperor who had guided and protected humanity for millennia.

All but the most privileged few would never see the Emperor with their own eyes, secluded as He was within the Sanctum Imperialis, within the Imperial Palace, here on Holy Terra.

Yet for some reason, the Emperor’s skeletal visage frequented Sethano’s dreams.

The Emperor never spoke in her dreams. It would be hard for anyone in His condition to do so, though many had claimed to speak for the Emperor over the millennia. Sethano didn’t think it was very nice to put words into the mouth of someone who couldn’t do so himself anymore. And those who perverted the Emperor’s will, while believing only in themselves, were to be considered heretics, or so she had been taught.

Sethano did not speak either. It felt like it would be presumptuous for her to do so without being spoken to first.

She felt no fear at being within the Emperor’s presence, mighty and terrible as He still was, writhing invisibly with power. She couldn’t remember exactly when she had first seen the Emperor in her dreams, but she felt like she had known Him for all her life, insignificant as her eleven, nearly twelve, years were next to an existence as ancient as His own. Yet it also seemed that the Emperor had known of her long before she knew of Him.

The Emperor’s uncompromising gaze, filled with a vast intelligence encompassing countless lifetimes, bored into Sethano, penetrating to her very soul. It filled her with agony, but she could not cry out, and nor would the Emperor’s overpowering presence permit her to waken from her dream.

Sethano was no stranger to pain. The Drill Abbots who served as instructors at the Schola Progenium were brutal in their methods, treating her and the other Progena in their care much as they would soldiers, constantly demanding that they push themselves to their limits in the service of the Emperor. They had no tolerance for weakness in body or mind. But the pain that the Drill Abbots regularly inflicted upon her was nothing compared to what she felt now. And instinctively, she understood that even this was just the barest fraction of the torment that the Emperor suffered for every instant of His existence on the Golden Throne, so that humanity might endure.

Her only choice now was to also endure as best she could that which no child should have to bear.

A flurry of images rushed through her awareness. Still no words were said, but she understood what they were, as if she had always known them. Holy Terra, when it was once called “Earth”, at the dawn of human civilization. A wandering man, born in a land called “Anatolia”, observing and then guiding humanity as best He could, appearing through the ages time and again in any number of personas. Always, He looked to further the advancement of humanity and ensure its survival, even from itself if necessary.

But far from the infallible god that the Drill Abbots taught her to worship, she saw a deeply flawed man, who had made many terrible mistakes, so self-assured in the absolute rightness of His actions that in His hubris, He could not see that he was planting the seeds of His own downfall until it was too late.

The Emperor’s thunderous presence roiled as if in sudden umbrage, but the storm relented after a moment. In spite of all of his flaws, Sethano had nothing but the utmost respect for the Emperor of Mankind. In the end, he had sacrificed himself for humanity in the fateful battle against his most beloved but corrupted son, Horus, fully aware of what the cost to himself would be. Ever since then, the Emperor had been interred in an unceasing vigil on the Golden Throne, and if not for that, she would have never been born at all. Humanity would have long since gone extinct under the relentless assault of the forces of Chaos, and those xenos who would have preyed upon it in its weakened state.

Progena always had to grow up fast, if they were to stand a chance of surviving the cruel halls of the Schola Progenium, itself a microcosm of an even more remorseless and hostile galaxy. But even among her fellow Progena, Sethano had been noticed by the Drill Abbots as being remarkably mature for her age, and an exceptional student, always diligent in her studies and mastering her lessons with ease, while never complaining about the harsh discipline.

Even Sethano wasn’t sure if she could still call herself a child anymore. More than anything, she felt as if she was a grown woman in a child’s body. Fragmentary as they often were, her dream encounters with the Emperor had left her with memories that were not her own, and knowledge that she shouldn’t have, that had been lost for millennia. In moments such as this, it was difficult to tell where her own psyche ended, and where the Emperor’s began, as it threatened to encompass her. Yet she held onto her sense of self as best she could.

Then again “Sethano Horst” was as much a fabricated identity as anything else. She knew she was an orphan, as were all the Progena, but she had no recollection of her parents, nor of her time before arriving at the Schola Progenium, and in any case, the Progena were routinely cut off from their pasts, so they could be molded into loyal and single-minded servants of the Emperor. Whatever names they might have had were discarded, replaced with those drawn from lists of Imperial heroes of ages past, so as to inspire them to achieve similar greatness. She, for instance, had been named after a Canoness of the Adepta Sororitas, and a prominent Inquisitor of the Ordo Malleus from the 41st Millennium.

Needless to say, she never spoke of her visions to the Drill Abbots, nor any of her classmates, much less the more complex understanding of the Emperor that they had given her, rather the one that they were taught in accordance with the Imperial Creed, the official doctrine of the Adeptus Ministorum, the state church of the Imperium. She had no desire to be immediately branded a heretic and executed by such small-minded individuals.

And so she prayed, fasted, and contemplated the lives of the Imperial Saints as she was instructed alongside her classmates. To others, she appeared to be perfectly devout, and indeed, there was much to admire in the examples of heroism and acts of self-sacrifice of many of the Saints, to say nothing of that of the Emperor, whom they had given their lives in service of. She knew that her life had to be important in some way, for her to be regularly visited by the Emperor as she had, and she so she strove her hardest to live up to the expectations that He clearly had for her. Difficult as it was at times, and frustratingly cryptic as the Emperor’s designs for her were, she knew she was destined to dedicate her life, and every fiber of her being, to the defense, advancement, and service of humanity.

The enormous pressure upon her mind lifted. The Emperor’s expression remained as unchanging as ever, yet Sethano though she could sense... satisfaction? It seemed that she had passed some sort of test, and in any case, she was still alive, which was cause enough for hope. The memory of the agony the Emperor had shared with her would linger, a phantom pain indelibly etched upon her consciousness, but if it momentarily helped ease His suffering, even if only in the slightest degree, then she was glad for it. As for herself, it would continue to serve her as a source of strength and determination, a constant reminder that no matter what troubles she faced in the Schola Progenium, she had already survived far worse.

The vision faded, and Sethano fell deeply into a mercifully dreamless sleep once more, too exhausted by the encounter to do anything else.

Last edited:
  • 4Like
Reactions:
Fascinating. I wonder what designs the Emperor has for her.

• 1Like
Reactions:
The High Lord of Terra - 01.01.200.M43
Sethano awoke several hours later. It was still dark out, but it was morning, on the first Terran day of 200.M43.

Sethano realized that meant it was her birthday, or at least the date chosen to represent it. Just as she didn’t know her parents, she didn’t know exactly which day she had really been born on, just that she had the physical condition of an eleven-year old girl... well, now twelve-year old girl. But as ever, she felt far older than that mentally, and in any case, the Schola Progenium was hardly a place for something as sentimental as a birthday party.

Some would have called her precocious, or a young prodigy. Others, if they discovered how different she truly was, would certainly call her an abomination. But even she didn’t fully understand what she was herself.

The other Progena in her dormitory looked up to her, she knew that. And she, in turn, cared deeply for them. They were the closest thing she had ever had to a family.

She couldn’t view the Drill Abbots as being any sort of father-figure to her though. Strange as it seemed, if there was anyone she saw as being like her father, it was the Emperor. He was a detached father, offering her no words of comfort, or words at all for that matter, and cruel, with the pain he regularly made her endure, but his recurring presence in her dreams had strengthened her, and made her what she was, whatever she was.

Many of the girls in her dormitory were destined to serve in the all-female Adepta Sororitas, whose Militant Orders were the only armed forces permitted to the Adeptus Ministorum, better known in Low Gothic as the Ecclesiarchy. No doubt they assumed the same would be true of her, befitting one named after a Canoness of the Sisterhood.

There were of course other Orders within the Sororitas outside of the Militant ones. Though ultimately no Progena could actually choose what their vocation would be following graduation, as it would be selected for them, Sethano thought that if she was going to end up in the Sororitas, she would prefer one of its more scholarly orders. The Orders Dialogous were experts in the study of linguistics and information-processing, while the Orders Famulous were diplomats and counselors serving the noble houses of the Imperium, managing trade and bringing them greater prosperity so that they might strengthen the Imperium in turn. Then the was the Orders Hospitaller, known for their compassion, who served the Imperium as medics, though their knowledge of how to heal could also be turned to allow them to act as fearsome torturers of the Imperium’s foes.

But Sethano sensed that she could never truly fit in with the blind zeal of the Sororitas, which was common to all of its Orders.

She didn’t have any more time to wander in her own thoughts though, as the barking voice of a Drill Abbot was ordering them to assemble.

The Schola Progenium had an important visitor.

Gotthard Neuman.png

Gotthard Neumann, one of the twelve reigning High Lords of Terra, and currently the most influential among them, had come to inspect the Progena, among them future leaders of the Imperium, on the day that it once again returned to the stars.

Lord Neumann was known as a charismatic leader, a skill that had helped in his maneuvering to become the preeminent High Lord, and delivered a powerful speech, about how it was humanity’s sacred duty to reconquer the galaxy by the force of arms, and to be prepared to defend itself against any perfidious xenos that it might encounter. It would be by the Progena’s efforts, sacrifice, and faith in the Emperor that the Imperium’s destiny would realized.

A vast, uncaring galaxy awaited Sethano and the other Progena, filled with both wonders and terrors. Yet as the High Lord spoke, another vision flashed through Sethano’s mind, far more vivd than than the imagery that Lord Neumann's oratory alone could conjure.

A new Great Crusade... and a momentary glimpse of a terrible purpose set before her, a narrow path that she must walk. The path was treacherous, and she could not see fully to its end, but she sensed to falter or wander from it was more than just to invite damnation upon herself.

It was to see the extinction of humanity.

• 1Like
Reactions:
01.01.200.M41 - Time of Beginnings
Holy Terra and Luna.png

Holy Terra, the birthplace of humanity and Throneworld of the Imperium. Though the planet-wide city and most of the temples had been ruined during the Sack, the Palace still stood proud, built atop and deep into the loftiest peaks of the Himalayas.

Around Holy Terra orbits Luna, now once again just a Dead World, its underground cities also destroyed during the Sack.

Mars.png

The devastation of Mars was even more complete, all traces of the Ring of Iron that had once surrounded it and the Adeptus Mechanicus’ sprawling foundries having been scoured from it by the forces of Chaos.

High Lord of Terra Gotthard Neuman.png

That, plus a few orbital mining and research outposts scattered throughout the Sol System, was the state of the Imperium of Man on that day when High Lord of Terra Gotthard Neumann delivered his address to the Schola Progenium.

Exalted Priesthood.png

In spite of the strong influence of the vanished Lord Commander Guilliman upon those who had reformed the Imperium after the sack, and the purges of the most inflexible hardliners, who would have kept humanity stagnant and with no hope of recovery, the Ecclesiarchy remained too entrenched into the fabric of the Imperium for it to be done away with, and there would have been rebellion against any who tried to abolish it outright.

Militant Zealots.png

Theoretically, the Ecclesiarchy’s religious power was balanced against the day-to-day bureaucracy of the Administratum. However, with the Imperium reduced to only a single planet, the Administratum’s size had been downsized accordingly, their Administrative Offices occupying only a fraction of the space in the Palace that they had used to. But the militant zeal that would drive humanity to reconquer the galaxy.

(I heavily edited this Civic from the mod I originally got it from, as it was far too powerful at first compared to other Civics. But the idea of it fit too well for the Imperium of Man for me not to include it in this run. Templars do not provide Amenities, unlike Priests, but add naval capacity and defense armies to their planet, allowing one to use Temples as an alternative to Strongholds/Fortresses with specialist-tier jobs. The Inquisitor jobs are also modified from a different mod that originally added them, and integrated into the Militant Zealots civic, because they also tied into it very nicely).

Synthetic Cult.png

While the influence of the Adeptus Mechanicus had declined with the loss of their Forge Worlds, which it had once operated as its own effectively semi-independent empire within the Imperium, their technical expertise and accumulated knowledge could not be overlooked. Its now-dominant Cawlite faction now worked furiously both to recover the technology that the Imperium had lost since the sack. Moreover, they sought innovations that their more conservative predecessors would have branded as Tech-Heresy, so that the Imperium Reformatus would rise to become more advanced than before the fall of the original Imperium of Man.

(This was the most vanilla-friendly version of a Machine Cult civic that I could find, and has an interesting interaction with Militant Zealots above. Templars and Inquisitors both count as Priests, so the more Templars and Inquisitors I have, the more it cuts into my Society research, since Templars and Inquisitors don’t actually produce any society research to begin with. Flavor-wise, I found it very fitting that Templars and Inquisitors actively impede societal progress, so I kept it that way. Additionally, since Engineering Research is generally considered more valuable than Society Research, this will further incentivize me to build lots of Temples. It is a locked civic, and thus cannot be added or removed after game start.)

Sol Starbase.png

Battlefleet Solar, reduced to a mere three Corvettes, as classified under the Imperium Reformatus’ revised naval doctrines, was docked at the Sol Starbase, part fortress and secondary administrative center, part monastery. The Imperium’s Gothic architecture had persisted through the sack, a reminder of the glories of ages past and inspiring faith in the Emperor. It was adorned with skulls, long a symbol of the Imperium, both serving as a reminder of the cruelty of the galaxy beyond and a reminder of the highest examples of martyrdom that servants of the Emperor could aspire to.

Katya Dymetrin to Tau Ceti.png

And it was from the Sol Starbase that Tech-Priest and Explorator, Katya Dymetrin, departed to begin the first surveys of the surrounding Star Systems in Segmentum Solar. Much astronavigational and planetary data had been lost since the sack, and the hyperlanes beyond still needed to be charted. And if Dymetrin could rediscover ancient amidst ancient ruins for the glory of the Machine God, or Omnissiah, then that would be all the better. Officially, the Adeptus Mechanicus held that the Emperor was the Omnissiah’s avatar in the physical world, and following the example of their founder, the Cawlites, which Dymetrin was a member of, truly believed this. Other, now minority-factions in the Mechanicus viewed this compromise as blasphemous to the true Machine God, but they were wise enough not to say so in the presence of members of the Adeptus Ministorum, so as to keep the peace between their faiths for the good of the Imperium.

As for Sethano Horst though, she remained in the Schola Progenium on Holy Terra for now, looking up at the stars, where, no matter what form it took, her destiny would inevitably take her.

Last edited:
  • 3Like
Reactions:
07.29.200M43 - 12.26.206M43: Exploring the Past
The Grunur.png

Nearly eight months after departing from the Sol Starbase, Explorator Dymetrin discovered artifacts from an ancient xenos civilization that had called itself the Grunur. That they had once inhabited space so close to Holy Terra, and that evidence of their existence had never been discovered until now was disturbing, but fortunately the Grunur appeared to have been dead for over seven million years.

The artifacts would of course be carefully quarantined to minimize the risk of xenos contamination as they were studied.

Tau Ceti Crystal Reefs.png

In spite of the inherent risks of a previous xenos presence on Tau Ceti III, Dymetrin also reported that the planet had extensive reefs from which rare crystals grew, promising a great source of wealth for the Imperium if the planet could be successfully colonized. Dymetrin also believed the crystals could have military applications, perhaps one day improving the efficiency of laser-based weaponry.

Alpha Centauri System.png

To the unwary eye, the Alpha Centauri System was a stunning spectacle to behold, with an earth-like moon orbiting a ringed blue gas giant.

Alpha Centauri IIIa.png

The moon was rich in mineral wealth too - but that came from being periodically bombarded with impacts from the rings, and the eggs of murderous xenos creatures were discovered on the surface. They would have to be exterminated to make the moon relatively safe for human habitation.

42 Years and 3 Days Eta Cassiopeiae.png

Also disconcerting was an ancient xenos atomic clock discovered around Eta Cassiopaeiae B, steadily counting down to a date 42 years and 3 days in the future, as of the time of its discovery. Some were convinced that it was a bomb, but the Tech-Priest assigned to lead the Explorator mission urged caution. If it truly was a bomb, then the device was obviously sophisticated enough that any attempts to tamper with it were likely to set it off early. Keeping an eye on it and ensuring that no other subjects of the Imperium interacted with it was the safest course for now.

Eta Cassiopeiae III.png

The system was also found to have a large, if bitterly cold habitable planet. Its natural resources were sparse for its size, but some members of the Adeptus Mechanicus saw potential in eventually converting it into a major Forge World, once the Imperium had relearned enough of its lost technology to make colonizing the planet economically viable.

As for Sethano Horst, the past few years had been eventful indeed....

The first several, had, at first, been spent within the halls of the Schola Progenium on Holy Terra, as she continued her studies and brutal training. But instead of being selected for the Adepta Sororitas, as she had long assumed that she would be, the leading High Lord of Terra, Gotthard Neumann, had returned to the Schola Progenium, and, following a personal examination of several candidates, handpicked her to serve in the Logos Historica Verita.

The Logos Historica Verita was an agency of the Adeptus Terra, itself an umbrella organization for the different departments of the Imperium's government, outside of the Adeptus Mechanicus, the Adeptus Ministorum, and the Holy Orders of the Emperor’s Inquisition. The Logos Historica Verita had been founded in early M42 by the last Imperial Regent, Lord Commander Guilliman, himself, and while Guilliman had since disappeared, his loyalists had seen to the continuation of the organization’s work, to produce as complete and objective of a history of mankind as possible, free from historical revisionism or bias.

This of course, even in M42, had been a practically impossible task, as so much had already been lost or deliberately altered beyond recognition, and even more history had been lost in the years following the Sack, in spite of the agency’s best efforts. It had only survived against the distrust or outright hostility of the other agencies of the Imperium, through the continued support of powerful backers, such as Lord Neumann, who was very much reform-minded and interested in knowing the galaxy’s history, so that the Imperium could avoid its mistakes from the past.

Bearing the High Lord’s seal, Sethano had access to all sorts of records on Holy Terra that were denied to others, and she spent much time poring through them, working to produce a treatise detailing the findings of her research, a task she took well to, despite being only 16 when she joined the Logos Historica Verita. In doing so, she showed superb organizational skills, and was able to work through and collate accounts at a rate far exceeding that of her more experienced colleagues, while uncovering patterns that others had missed.

But there was only so much that one could learn about the history of the Imperium through reading, no matter how many records one went through, and so Sethano first traveled off Holy Terra at the age of 17, as a Historitor-Investigatus taking a more hands-on approach.

Some in the Adeptus Mechanicus resented that agents of Logos Historica Verita were being dispatched to the archaeological sites being discovered, as they considered themselves to have exclusive claim to any artifacts, data, or archaeotech discovered, for the glory of the Machine God. But Explorators like Dymetrin were already of a more inquisitive and free-spirited streak than most of their fellow Tech-Priests, and more flexible in their approach to the unknown. Dymetrin welcomed Historitor-Investigatus Horst to join her expeditions, appreciating her keen intellect and intuitive grasp of technology.

It was a shame, Dymetrin thought, that Horst hadn’t been brought up by the Mechanicus, as she would have had the makings of a great Tech-Priest.

Dymetrin gradually entrusted Sethano with more and more of the daily administrative tasks of their expeditions as well, finding that everything went far smoother with the highly capable Historitor-Investigatus in charge of the details.

The Rubricator IoM.png

And then, about a week before Sethano’s 19th birthday, the two of them discovered logs pointing to the existence of a valuable piece of archaeotech called 'the Rubricator’.

Rubricator Location IoM.png

The Rubricator lay in a previously uncharted system, on the outer edge of the Galactic Core in Segmentum Ultima, to the galactic east of Segmentum Solar.

With their destination locked in, Dymetrin and Horst began charting the systems that lay between them and the Rubricator.

What they would find there would forever alter the Imperium’s destiny.

• 3Like
Reactions:
04.03.207M43 - 10.19.209M43: The STC
While Explorator Dymetrin and Historitor-Investigatus Horst made their way toward the site of the fabled Rubricator, other Explorators of the Adeptus Mechanicus were busy making other discoveries.

Sothis Colonial Remains.png

One was the rediscovery an Earth-like planet in the Sirius System that had significant infrastructure surviving from before the fall of the Old Imperium. The name of this colony was lost to the scribes of the Adeptus Administratum, so the planet was renamed “Sothis”, after an ancient Terran name for the star that it orbited.

Beta Menace.png

It was with alarm that the Explorators encountered what appeared to be organic starships. While most of the details had been lost to history, stories of ‘the Great Devourer” that had once ravaged the Milky Way were still known, usually spoken of only in whispers. Fortunately, it soon became clear that the “Beta Menace” was instead a docile, migratory species, dubbed Tiyanki, that gathered over gas giants to graze.

Grunur Exterminatus.png

Archaeological studies into the Grunur revealed that they had been a particularly belligerent xenos species, and had employed their own method of Exterminatus, the total destruction of a planetary biosphere, against their enemies through extensive firebombing campaigns.

And then, finally, after two years and ten months, Katya Dymetrin and Sethano Horst reached the distant Tien Kwan system, resting place of the Rubricator. The world was a ruined ecumenopolis, much like Holy Terra itself, though its surface was littered with tall, pile-like towers, some so large as to be visible from space. On closer inspection, the towers were haphazard in construction, as if the thieves who had taken the Rubricator from its original owners had been in the habit of just dumping whatever loose materials or loot they could find in ever-growing, until, over centuries, they had built the structures the Explorator and the Historitor-Investigatus saw now.

Searching for the Rubricator among all the junk would take some time.

But as it happened, the Rubricator was far from the greatest treasure to be found there...

Following a strange sense of intuition, Sethano had discovered a secret passage hidden in the ruins, leading deep underground. Before long, they found themselves in a vast archaeotech laboratory complex, still largely functional in spite of the petrified dust that covered much of it.

Archaeotech Laboratories.png

And at the center of it all, there was a fully-functional Standard Template Construct system, a lost relic of the Dark Age of Technology, which had apparently been stolen away by the xenos rats as well.

While it had been the height of mankind’s technological progress, it was called the “Dark Age of Technology” because of the subsequent horrors that those advancements had unleashed upon the galaxy, ushering in the Age of Strife that had in turn led the Emperor to assume leadership over and unite humanity, lest it perish divided. At twenty-one years of age, Sethano had witnessed those eras many times, when she dreamed of the Emperor, knowing both of their glories and of their mistakes, never to be repeated.

During the Dark Age of Technology, a Standard Template Construct system (STC) was considered an essential piece of equipment for any new human colony, containing a vast array of designs for any tools or technologies that they might plausibly need, and possessed the ability to fabricate these designs on command, given sufficient raw materials. And since the old Adeptus Mechanicus had essentially banned innovation as Tech-Heresy for millennia, until its Cawlite Reformation, STCs had provided one of the few ways in which the Imperium of old could have improved its technological base. After all, rediscovering human technologies from ages past didn’t count as “innovation”.

Most STCs did not contain plans for particularly sophisticated technologies, as they would be far beyond the needs of most colonists, but it was said that a full STC Library would represent the total technical knowledge of humanity from the Dark Age of Technology.

The STC in the archaeotech laboratories of Tien Kwan V was such a full STC Library.

To a member of the Adeptus Mechanicus, both past and present, discovering a full STC Library was akin to discovering the Holy Grail.

“Praise the Omnissiah!” Explorator Dymetrin murmured in awe. Slowly, she turned to Sethano. “You’re... not a Psyker, are you? It’s almost as if you could sense that the STC was here, somehow.” But before Sethano could answer, Dymetrin shook her head. “No. That was a foolish question on my part, for the answer is clear. You were chosen, Sethano. You were chosen by the Omnissiah, and unconsciously imbued with a measure of His Divine will, so that you might lead us here, in accordance with his plans for humanity’s future. And all the seeming coincidences along the way, from Lord Neumann choosing you as a Historitor-Investigatus, to you feeling the need to leave Holy Terra to continue your research, to you ending up joining my crew out of all of the Explorators... they were all invisibly guided by the Omnisiah’s design. It also explains why you have such a ready grasp on technology, when it should be a complete mystery to any outside of the Mechanicus. As one guided by the Omnissiah’s will, you have been granted a portion of His brilliance, so that you might carry out His mission."

Was that why she kept dreaming of the Emperor?

“I do not deserve such high praise,” Sethano replied cautiously. “And I’d be careful about saying that in front of your fellow Tech-Priests, or members of the Inquisition. They’re all too quick to label people heretics."

“That’s a sentiment that many in the Inquisition would label to be heretical itself,” Dymetrin said wryly.

“I just try to serve the Emperor as best as I can,” Sethano said. “But are many others whose talents could otherwise serve Him, but are wasted, because they were unfortunate enough to cross paths with an overzealous Inquisitor, and didn’t have anyone to protect them. I suppose I’m one of the lucky ones there. But other than that, I’m just an ordinary woman."

Sethano knew that she was lying to herself there. Ordinary women were not frequented with visions of the Emperor, as such an occurrence was extraordinary in of itself. But she dared not give into the temptation of indulging in delusions of grandeur. She was humbled next to the Emperor’s incredible power and ancient intellect, so far beyond her own meager abilities. To behave in any other manner was to risk inviting the corruption of Chaos within herself.

“No,” Dymetrin said. “You may not be of noble blood, but there is an undeniable air of nobility about you. You are a natural leader, and a prodigy in equal measure. And as one clearly favored by the Omnissiah, that also makes you a holy woman. Of that, I have no doubt."

• 3Like
Reactions:
03.27.210M43 - 04.29.212M43: Factional Politics, and the Delta Menace
Zro Discovered.png

During further surveys of the Tien Kwan System, where the Archaeotech Laboratories and the STC within had been found, Explorator Dymetrin discovered an aerosol of exotic particles, that she named “Zro”. It appeared to brim with psychic power, and as such would bolster the abilities of any psykers who ingested it, though it was also likely to be highly addictive as well.

The STC was too large to be effectively moved from the archaeotech laboratories without damaging it, so the Imperium would need to wait until it could establish a permanent presence in the Tien Kwan System before it could fully exploit the discovery. But needless to say, Sethano Horst and Katya Dymetrin were hailed as heroes for their discovery, which would immeasurably accelerate the technological redevelopment of the Imperium Reformatus.

Yet that attention also invited scrutiny, and while Sethano found she had an increasing number of influential “friends”, each seeking to use her for their own advantage, there were now also those who saw her discovery and work in the Logos Historica Verita as threats to their interests. Some sent assassins after her, though they were thankfully not the disciples of the Officio Assassinorum, as that would mean that a 2/3 majority of the High Lords of Terra had voted for her termination.

After she had personally killed several of these assassins, putting her combat training from the Schola Progenium to work, Sethano did have to wonder if Dymetrin might have had a point about her having some sort of latent talent as a Psyker, even if the Explorator had settled upon another explanation in the end. Sethano found it was as almost if she had a sixth sense, a gut feeling that she was increasingly starting to suspect was actually a form of limited precognition, especially since it had been acting up more after she had been accidentally exposed to a bit of Zro while helping the Explorator analyze it.

The assassination attempts slowed considerably after that, as her enemies clearly saw that, for a scholar, she was not as easy of a target as they had initially believed.

Other enemies were far more devious though. In the guise of supporters, they argued that her talents, which were clearly considerable, were being wasted in such a minor agency of the Adeptus Terra as the Logos Historica Verita. They argued that she should be transferred into the Adeptus Administratum, and given the rank of Curator, normally a hereditary position, tasked with maintaining the most ancient of the Imperium’s ledgers and other records, demanding significant historical and linguistic knowledge. To be a Curator was considered something of a prestigious posting, but Sethano clearly saw that it was meant to keep her on Holy Terra.

Wrecked Attack Moon.png

While she was stuck in the bowels of the Administratum, Dymetrin was still exploring and discovering new wonders.

Factions IoM.png

At the same time, political factions in the upper echelons of the Imperium were organizing around new leaders, each with an eye on assuming a leading role among the High Lords of Terra.

Obedience Loyalty and Duty Vanguard.png

While Lord Neumann, her original patron, was now leading the March of the Brave, Sethano gravitated toward the Obedience, Loyalty, and Duty Vanguard. She was, after all, a servant of the Imperium, and a servant of humanity first and foremost, and could especially appreciate the values of loyalty and duty, when far too many in the Imperium’s leadership were only interested in their own power and wealth.

But if there was anything that could unite the squabbling factions of the Imperium, it was the threat of hostile xenos...

Delta Menace.png

And on 04.29.212M43, the xenos codenamed the ‘Delta Menace’ were sited in the Capella System, traveling in ships of ancient Chaos design.

One thing was clear.

The Imperium had to shift its focus from exploration and recolonization, to readying its defenses posthaste.

• 3Like
Reactions:
Sethano clearly took a few lessons from Josip Tito and Fidel Castro. All that's missing is a sternly worded letter to the would-be killers.

"The next killer you send to me will be returned in pieces." or "If you continue sending assassins I will send one of my own. One and only one."

• 2Haha
Reactions:
07.07.212M43 - 01.02.223M43: Hereteks and Sadists
Unyielding Traditions.png

Recognizing that the Delta Menace would be far from the only danger that it would face, the Imperium Reformatus revived traditions of establishing an unyielding defense against any foes, and began drawing up plans for mighty bastions and Fortress Worlds.

Odd Factory.png

Danger did not only come from without - even ancient xenos infrastructure left behind on the moon Chiron, in the Alpha Centauri System, proved treacherous, with traps that ensnared and killed many unsuspecting workers before they could be disabled.

Delta Menace Investigation.png

Investigations continued into the Delta Menace, and members of the Ordos Xenos, the branch of the Inquisition tasked with containing and countering the spread of alien influences, accompanied Explorators to capture an enemy vessel. In doing so, the Delta Menace was revealed to be mechanical monstrosities... that had once been human.

Heretek Hell-Forges.png

The Delta Menace was a rogue offshoot of the Adeptus Mechanicus, the Dark Mechanicum, that had betrayed their former allegiance to the Emperor of Mankind and given their service to the Ruinous Powers of Chaos, so that they might carry out their research unrestricted by dogma or morality, gaining access to forbidden knowledge in the process. Over time, it appeared they had created an Abominable Intelligence (AI), one of the severest forms of Tech-Heresy, which they had become fully integrated into, while still serving the Chaos Gods. Most members of the Adeptus Mechanicus engaged in varying degrees of cybernetic modification, to better reflect the glory of the Machine God, but it appeared that these Hereteks had completely replaced their original organic bodies with machinery, and turned to an absolute hatred of the flesh, which was to be cast into and consumed by their Hell-Forges, which would then churn out all manners of unholy mechanical monstrosities.

(I know the emblem doesn’t quite match the Dark Mechanicum’s actual emblem in 40K, and is actually the emblem of the Adeptus Mechanicus, but I had to work with what was available to me in my mods).

The Heretek Hell-Forges appeared to be located in a cluster of star systems to the southwest edge of Segmentum Solar and the northern edge of Segmentum Tempestus. In such close proximity to the Imperium, war was inevitable, and there was little doubt that it would break out before long.

Gas Giant Ship.png

The discovery of an derelict Imperial cruiser in orbit of a gas giant was a much-needed find, with the war looming ever closer. It would be dispatched to the bastion guarding the sole path from the Hereteks to Imperial space, which most of the Imperium’s alloy production was being dedicated to.

As war preparations went on, Sethano Horst had risen to the occasion, and turned her enemies sidelining her into the Adeptus Administratum into an opportunity to better serve the Imperium. In the seven years since the discovery of the Delta Menace, Sethano, now 31 years of age, had quickly learned to master the political game, while delivering results that had led to a series of promotions. In a meteoric rise, she had maneuvered herself into leading one of the four Senior Offices of the Departmento Munitorum, which saw to the supply and logistical administration of the Imperium’s armed forces. Namely, she now headed the Office of Records, and was directly subordinate to the Master of the Administratum.

She had killed a few people along the way, yes. But each of them had tried to kill her first, and their incompetence would be the death of humanity if it was allowed to persist. Under her leadership, the Office of Records had become a model of efficiency in processing requests for information, something that was unheard of in the broader Administratum. And by actually caring about the conditions in which the scribes and other bureaucrats under her worked, she had further managed to increase their productivity, though as ever she had no tolerance for obstruction or corruption among their ranks.

At the same time though, her resources in the Administratum were increasingly overtaxed as the Imperium continued to expand, a fact that frustrated her to no end, when a delay in paperwork could literally be a matter of life or death for those who depended on supplies from the Departmento Munitorum.

Drukhari Kabal.png

In 219.M43, another xenos empire was rediscovered, the Drukhari Kabal. To stave off the consumption of their souls by the Chaos God Slaanesh, they turned to the sadistic toture of others, literally feeding upon the agony of their victims to extend their own wretched lives.

The Drukhari looked at the Imperium with cruel, covetous eyes, seeing new worlds to enslave and torment.

Drukhari Segementum Obscurus.png

The Drukhari capital, the Dark City of Commorragh, was hidden among the ancient Aeldari Webway, constructed by the Eldar empire that the Druharki were themselves a corrupted offshoot of. However, it appeared that they had colonized a number of systems in both Segmentum Obscurus and Segmentum Ultima, and were already disturbingly close to the Imperium’s frontier.

Natalia Marques High Lady of Terra.png

Faced with imminent invasion by not one but two hostile xenos empires, a new High Lady of Terra rose to prominence, Natalia Marques, who urged the necessity of expediting the construction of defense platforms at each of of the Imperium’s bastions, and modernizing their weaponry to meet the threat.

Drukhari Declare War.png

And just two years later, the Drukhari attacked.

Hereteks Declare War.png

It was only another few months before the Hereteks decided that the time was right to finally launch their own assault against the Imperium Reformatus.

It would be a war of extermination.

If the Imperium’s defenses failed to hold, humanity would have no future.

Last edited:
  • 3Like
Reactions:
Finally got a chance to read this and it's been enjoyable. I like your take on a reformed Imperium of Man.

• 2Like
Reactions:
03.19.224M43 - 01.12.226M43: The Hereteks Attack, and the Sorcerers Revealed
Kappa Menace.png

As initial skirmishes started with the Drukhari and the Hereteks, another vessel of Chaos design, though emblazoned in vivid blue and gold, was sighted in the Beta Caeli system, to the Imperium’s north. They were codenamed the “Kappa Menace” for now.

Ruined Sentry Array.png

Explorators also discovered a massive ruined Sentry Array, though navigating the system was made treacherous, as there was a powerful entity lurking there, calling itself “VLUUR”, whose mere presence triggered dangerous Warp Storms around it.

Hereteks Attack Arcturus.png

In 03.225M43, the Hereteks attacked and seized the outlying Arcturus station with a small flotilla of Chaos warships.

Battle of Beta Comae Bernices.png

The Hereteks then moved on to attack the Imperial bastion at Beta Comae Bernices. Unlike Arcturus station, the Imperium had invested heavily into fortifying Beta Comae Bernices, installing multiple hangar bays into the starbase, from which several squadrons of Starhawk Bombers emerged to engage the enemy corvettes.

Starhawk Bombers.png

With crews of 15 each, the Starhawks were heavily armed, tearing into the hulls of the Heretek ships, while still being fast enough to evade much of their fire.

Results - Beta Comae Bernices.png

The Starhawks inflicted heavy losses on the Heretek’s fleets. Realizing that the battle was lost, the Hereteks initiated an emergency jump out of the system. But while the Imperium had beaten back the initial assault, there was little doubt among the High Lords of Terra that it wouldn’t be long until the enemy’s Hell-Forges had produced new fleets to replace their losses. And so Sethano, in the Departmento Munitorum, had to work all the more urgently to make sure that the Beta Comae Bernices Bastion received fresh supplies, Starhawk parts for repairs, and new materiel for constructing additional defense platforms.

Salvaged Tech.png

In the aftermath of the battle, Explorators cautiously studied the wrecks of the Heretek vessels. While any technology on board carried the risk of Chaos corruption, the Explorators were nonetheless able to gain a number of insights into how the Imperium could improve its own ships.

Dimensional Travelers.png

Closer to home, investigators of a mysterious moon in the Tau Ceti system led to tantalizing clues of an extremely advanced FTL system that could be used to instantaneously “Jump” between star systems. However, the technology was still far beyond the Imperium’s means to reproduce in any reasonable length of time for now, especially as the ongoing wars called for the development of technologies that could deliver more immediate results.

Tzeentchian Sorcerers.png

The Kappa Menace was soon revealed to be the Tzeentchian Sorcerers, servants of the Chaos God Tzeentch, the "Changer of Ways”, though it appeared that in the past centuries, Tzeentch had begun deceiving mortals under a new title, the “Whisperer in the Void”.

(I forgot to change the emblem to Tzeentch’s canonical one, but it still has a sort of “eye” design here. Also, the actual city appearance for Tzeentch is Necroids. I have no idea why it showed up as the mammalian city set here.)

Surrounded by Hostile Xenos.png

With the Tzeentchians to the Galactic northwest, the Hereteks to the southwest, and the Drukhari to the northeast, the situation was appearing increasingly dire. Empowered by the Ruinous Powers of the Chaos Gods, or ancient but twisted Aeldari technology, it was estimated that each of the Imperium’s foes could produce war resources at roughly twice the rate of comparable industries back in the Imperium.

The Tzeentchians, with their devotion to intricate plots and planning, were at least likely to wait until they felt they had all of their pieces in place before attacking, but there was no question that they would attack the Imperium eventually.

And with the Imperium’s potential routes of expansion being increasingly cut off on all sides, the resources of Segmentum Solar, and what colonies it had managed to establish in the closest part of Segmentum Ultima, would have to sustain the Imperium for now.

And that was assuming that the Imperium could hold on to its colonies in Segmentum Ultima. Given the distance that the Drukhari had to travel from their shipyards to the Imperial frontier, their main attack had not arrived yet. But it too would eventually assail the Imperium, and sooner, rather than later...

Last edited:
  • 4Like
Reactions:
01.17.226M43 - 01.14.231M43: An Imperial Saint?
The Last Baol.png

Explorators at long last tracked down the home system of the Grunur, where they found the last surviving fully sapient Baol, kept on automated life support for who knew how long by the Grunur, who themselves had perished long ago. The Last Baol expired shortly after its discovery, but the life-seeding secrets of its kind was now firmly in the hands of the Imperium.

Capital Complex Modifier.png

The ancient Grunur capital complex was also another important find, with plenty of surviving and remarkably well-preserved infrastructure, much of it ideally suited for the needs of efficiently administering an empire. As such, Sethano Horst made a proposal directly to the Master of the Administratum and the other High Lords of Terra.

In recent years, faced with the necessity of producing large amounts of alloys to construct defenses against both the Hereteks and the Drukhari, increasingly wide swathes of Holy Terra had been given over to the Adeptus Mechanicus. By agreement with the Imperial government, they would use those portions of Holy Terra as their “Provisional Forge World Principal” until such a time as Mars could be made habitable again. The Ecclesiarchy had also been busy constructing new temples on Holy Terra, but the Administratum’s offices were increasingly cramped, and most of the infrastructure supporting its duties was in advanced states of disrepair.

As such, Sethano petitioned that certain offices of the Administratum should relocate to Grunur, once the system could be properly secured, establishing it as a secondary capital for the Imperium Reformatus. Grunur was well-positioned to respond to the growing needs of the systems on the Imperial Frontier, while still being deep enough within Segmentum Solar so as to not immediately risk attack by the Drukhari.

While the debate among the High Lords of Terra was contentious, it quickly found the support of Lady Marques and Lord Neumann, the two most influential members of the council, and ultimately, the measure passed.

Drukhari Attack.png

The Drukhari finally made their attack. Many of their ships were armed with point-defense guns, allowing them to shred the Starhawks launched to intercept them, and in turn they seized one of the outer bastions meant to stop their advance. Many of the High Lords feared that the Drukhari would proceed to invade the outlying colonies, or press onward to Segmentum Solar itself.

But as time went on, it became clear that the Drukhari invasion force was not particularly well-led or organized. It marauded through several systems, raiding mining and research outposts, capturing and horrifically torturing their crews, but planetary invasion forces showed no sign of materializing, at least for the moment.

Battlefleet Engages Hereteks.png

The Imperium, needing another victory after the stinging loss to the Drukhari, decided to reclaim the outlying systems to the Galactic southwest that the Hereteks had earlier taken. A small battlefleet, consisting of the derelict, now restored cruiser, five corvettes, and a recovered ancient warform, were dispatched and encountered a small Heretek fleet.

The Warform was itself an Abominable Intelligence, but its weaponry made it too dangerous for the Imperium’s limited navy to risk engaging it. Fortunately, a quick-thinking Tech-Priest had managed to convince it to serve the Imperium instead. While this, strictly speaking, was Tech-Heresy, desperate times called for desperate measures. The Abominable Intelligence of the Warform provided badly needed firepower to the Imperial Battlefleet, and could be pitted against the Abominable Intelligence of the Hereteks, kept safely on the front away from Holy Terra. If the Warform was destroyed in battle, the threat of its own Abominable Intelligence would be ended, but with any luck it would terminate many Heretek vessels first.

Engaging the Heretek Fleet.png

Battlefleet Solar engaged the Heretek vessels.

Battle Against Hereteks Firing.png

The firepower of the Cruiser and the Warform both greatly outclassed anything the Hereteks had in the system, allowing for a decisive victory.

Second Battle of Beta Comae Bernices.png

However, a second Heretek fleet was already on the way, larger and more advanced than the one that Battlefleet Solar had just destroyed, with several destroyers among its number. Battlefleet Solar was forced to retreat to conserve its strength for another day as the Hereteks quickly retook the system and advanced on Beta Comae Bernices once again. They nearly managed to take the beleaguered bastion, closing in on it after destroying its outer defense platforms.

Fighters Beta Comae Bernices 2nd.png

But once again, the Starhawks launching from the bastion’s main hangars managed to beat back the Heretek vessels, launching punishing bombing runs on their destroyers.

Rho Menace Science Ship.png

Some time after the battle, a vessel belonging to an unidentified empire, codenamed the Rho Menace, was detected, exploring systems to the Galactic north, between Imperial and Tzeentchian space.

Cautiously, the Imperium began efforts to decipher communications from the unknown vessel.

Sothis Life-Seeding.png

While Holy Terra was increasingly covered with foundries, Sothis was set aside to become the Imperium’s main producer of the goods needed to sustain its civilian industries. It was also chosen to be the site of the first trial of the Baol’s ancient life-seeding technology, turning it into a paradisiacal world. Unexpectedly, a number of “Nu-Baol” xenos appeared on the planet as well.

The Imperial colonists were startled and alarmed by the presence of the xenos in their midst, but it was quickly realized by more pragmatic minds that the Nu-Baol were not aggressive in nature. Faced with two powerful foes and ballooning food and energy deficits throughout the Imperium, the High Lords decreed that the Nu-Baol would be sentenced to death... by a lifetime of involuntary servitude to the Imperium. Needless to say, a number of Inquisitors were unhappy with this decision, but if the Nu-Baol’s labor could make the difference between humanity’s survival and extinction, then the High Lords would tolerate their existence for now.

But few could appreciate at the time just how much this decision would end up redefining the Imperium’s approach toward xenos, or at least, the xenos that weren’t servants of Chaos.

Mirror Mirror.png

Following the passing of the former Master of the Administratum, Sethano Horst had advanced into the position, becoming one of the twelve High Lords of Terra herself in the process. She was also bestowed with noble status, in recognition of her long and exemplary record of service to the Imperium, and given the planet where she had discovered the STC with Explorator Dymetrin as a personal fief, in vassalage to the greater Imperium. The planet had been named “Draconith”, after an ancient Old Imperial colony, though it was not the same planet, and after the draconic imagery that was found among several of the ruins. And even more curiously, there was discovered to be a Dimensional Portal on Draconith, connecting to an alternate version of the Imperium of Man in another universe.

After initial fear and suspicion of some sort of xenos or Chaos trick had been allayed on both sides, and much theological debate, a thriving trade had begun between the two Imperiums through the portal, meaning that Sethano found herself ruling over one of the most technologically advanced and prosperous colonies of the Imperium, even as she balanced that with her newfound duties as the Master of the Administratum, and prepared her agencies for the move to Grunur.

While the Master of the Administratum had historically been a position so far above the ordinary Imperial citizen to be indifferent to their plights as the cogs of the bureaucracy kept glacially turning, Sethano took it upon herself to spend any time that she could spare looking after the common people of Draconith, overseeing charitable work, establishing schools, and personally hearing their concerns. After all, was it not the people that she strove to protect?

It was this deep compassion for her people, tireless work on behalf of the Imperium, and the aura of a noble spirit that people instinctively felt around her, something rare, that most nobles would never possess themselves, that fueled an growing conviction that Sethano Horst was an Imperial Saint, walking among them.

Such a following of course attracted the attention of the Inquisition, especially its Thorian faction, named after the charismatic preacher, Sebastian Thor, who had successfully reformed the Imperium millennia ago after leading a rebellion against the tyrannical reign of Lord Vandire, who had perverted the Imperium to serve his own megalomaniacal whims. The Thorians believed that Thor had been a vessel for the Emperor’s will, and that the Emperor’s spirit had inhabited many such vessels over the millennia since his physical body was interred upon the Golden Throne.

More evidence was needed to be sure, but with her astonishing rise to prominence in Imperium, saintly disposition, and miraculous discovery of the STC, many of the Thorians were also increasingly convinced that Sethano Horst was the Emperor’s latest chosen vessel.

Could she, acting as the living expression of the Emperor’s will, be the one destined to lead humanity to salvation against the xenos that besieged it? Or was she a false saint, and those who believed her to be one heretics?

Only time would tell.

Last edited:
  • 4Like
Reactions:
The Warform was itself an Abominable Intelligence, but its weaponry made it too dangerous for the Imperium’s limited navy to risk engaging it. Fortunately, a quick-thinking Tech-Priest had managed to convince it to serve the Imperium instead. While this, strictly speaking, was Tech-Heresy, desperate times called for desperate measures. The Abominable Intelligence of the Warform provided badly needed firepower to the Imperial Battlefleet, and could be pitted against the Abominable Intelligence of the Hereteks, kept safely on the front away from Holy Terra. If the Warform was destroyed in battle, the threat of its own Abominable Intelligence would be ended, but with any luck it would terminate many Heretek vessels first.
In war, the enemy of my enemy is whatever I say they are, up to and including scrap metal. ;)

The Imperial colonists were started and alarmed by the presence of the xenos in their midst, but it was quickly realized by more pragmatic minds that the Nu-Baol were not aggressive in nature. Faced with two powerful foes and ballooning food and energy deficits throughout the Imperium, the High Lords decreed that the Nu-Baol would be sentenced to death... by a lifetime of involuntary servitude to the Imperium.
Just try to imagine the call back to the Homeworld when the Nu-Baol showed up:

"Mister Inquisitor, I don't know where they came from! They just popped out of the ground like daisies!"

• 3Haha
Reactions: