Sphere of Influence available to pre-order and Free Train Bonus Pack release!

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
So, it's finally coming. By the looks of it, the wait was worth it.

• 6Like
Reactions:
Sphere of influence hasn't been added to my steam account(eg showing as owned), despite me owning victoria 3 grand edition? Doesn't that come with the expansion pass?

Reactions:

Kudos to whoever edited that short video: I watched it more often than I am willing to admit, and the "pfff - whee!" at 0:12 has me cracking up each time!

Okay, now I'm hooked on train stuff. If anybody has a good youtube video on early train design experiments and philosophies and why certain designs prevailed for certain applications, hit me with a dm!

• 6Like
Reactions:
Lots of cool stuff (Power Blocks is just wow), can't wait to go fully communist and nationalize that bourgeois means of production and expand the revolution in Europe :D

• 2Haha
  • 1Like
Reactions:
Will we be able to delete buildings in subjects with interventionism? If we want to stack plantations, for example. What about tech levels? Will we be able to use explosives in the iron mines of Ethiopia?

• 2Like
Reactions:
Wait, so Vic3 is now a Cthulhu dating sim?

1709747917679.png

Yep, definitely a Cthulhu dating sim:

1709747977915.png

Not the direction I figured the game was going, but let's see how the expansion shakes out.

• 24Haha
Reactions:
Anyways one thing that I really hope that Spheres of Influence come with is the fact that not all territory claimed was actually ruled over. I am looking at the Americas, which in 1836 fully controls far more land then they should. I am hoping that there is some mechanic to reflect that these lands were claimed by the US and recognized by other powers, but they didn't actually control it, and the various native peoples fiercely resisted for many decades.

We have a pretty good idea of what's going to be included off of the steam page, and this isn't it. The gameplay focus is on power blocs, foreign investments, nationalization, etc., and the flavor focus is on West Asia and the Great Game between the UK and Russia. There is no mention of reworking the colonization system or distinguishing between de jure ownership vs de facto ownership or anything at all with the Americas. Don't get your hopes up. And don't be disappointed either, what we are getting is a huge step forward that clearly involved a lot of work.

North America needs an entire expansion in its own right, something that I imagine is one of their top priorities after SOI [I think the fact that VOTP didn't include anything about the French intervention in Mexico makes me think that they knew they were getting around to North America sooner rather than later]. And if that's the case, they definitely need to rework the colonization system completely and create system to simulate the distinction between lines on the map doodled by the great powers and the actual realities of local political control. Would be a massive improvement for both the settlement of the west and the scramble for africa, and could take inspiration from CK's system of de jure and de facto control.

And man I love it if border disputes were modeled on the map [both historical ones and ones based on claims generated by gameplay], and could be settled through peaceful arbitration rather than just war scares or state trades. The State trade system is a good step forward and are good for settling things like weird colonial bordergore in Africa, but with how big and binary states are in most of the world they're not very good for most actual border disputes.

• 2Like
Reactions:
I'm really looking forwards to this expansion, though there is one thing that gives me some trepidation. Games which gamify the concept of ideology often tend to put international ideological coalitions and "The White Man's Burden" style Imperial Fictions in the same bucket of "ideology". Given the emphasis on Great Power politics in Vicky I do worry about how that'll be handled.

Not that oppressive empires are exclusive to coalitional power blocs, just that those blocs tend to formed out of states that broadly approve of the international status quo that that empire might uphold rather than client states. The relationship between NATO members and the US is not the same as the relationship Micronesia has with it, as an example.

• 1Like
Reactions:
The Victoria dev team seem to be the most connect to the community and I really appreciate it! Constantly reacting to feed back from players! We need more of this I'm the industry l, keep upt the good work!

• 2Like
Reactions:
Wait, so Vic3 is now a Cthulhu dating sim?

View attachment 1089787

Yep, definitely a Cthulhu dating sim:

View attachment 1089789

Not the direction I figured the game was going, but let's see how the expansion shakes out.

New Event: Atlantis founded.
After a couple of events.
"A baby is the sole survivor"

After a couple of events every 5years. At 18 years he becomes emperor of the country.
Now the cthulu invasion can begin together with the bear Wojtek as part of the Military faction and Glitterhoof, the legendary horse, as the landowner leader. :cool:
and a witch named morgana becomes the leader of the religious faction :p.

• 4Haha
Reactions: