• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Rensslaer

Strategy GuidAAR
49 Badges
Jun 24, 2004
www.orinthia.net
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Stellaris
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Colonel
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Field Marshal
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Europa Universalis IV: Third Rome
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Stellaris: Humanoids Species Pack
  • Stellaris: Distant Stars
  • Europa Universalis IV: Dharma
  • Stellaris: Megacorp
  • Europa Universalis IV: Golden Century
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Stellaris: Ancient Relics
  • Stellaris: Federations
  • Europa Universalis 4: Emperor
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Europa Universalis III: Chronicles
  • Divine Wind
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Europa Universalis: Rome
  • Victoria 2
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Rome: Vae Victis
  • 500k Club
  • Europa Universalis III: Collection
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Europa Universalis: Rome Collectors Edition
  • Victoria 2 Beta
This is a personals ad for a new Spanish King! :D

I'm running an AAR in the AAR forum, but I need some advice on the Spanish Succession, taking place in 1863 (Prussia is making Spain a sattelite, and wishing to find a good pliable candidate without too much baggage.

Here's what I've posted...
Rensslaer said:
Okay... I'm open to some degree of interactive feedback here, as I assume some of you may have more knowledge and/or time to examine this...

I'm looking for a good candidate to assume the Spanish throne who might do the bidding of King Wilhelm I.

Isabella II, presumably (and I'm open to argument on this, too!) is on her way out. The Carlists are the obvious contenders for the throne, but if I'm reading correctly, they have connections to the Habsburgs (which is BAD!) and are vehemently Catholic (i.e. they might hate Prussians).

Amadeo I, historically, is the successor to Isabella. But he's also the son of 1) the Sardinian King who I've just tossed out, and 2) a Habsburg!

I'm stumped... Who's left? :wacko:

Thanks!

Rensslaer

Well, I think I shall take the suggestion of Judas Maccabeus that the princes of Hohenzollern-Sigmaringen would be an acceptable choice, as they apparently were historically (at least, absent the negative voices of France!).

I think Prussia would be well served!

Rensslaer

David Wetzel's A Duel of Giants goes into quite a bit of detail about the varying contenders for the Spanish throne. :) Certainly worth reading for anyone with an interest in the outbreak of the Franco-Prussian war.

If you are Prusia, Hohenzollern-Sigmaringen is your man.

When Isabella II was deposed, the spanish factions that had achieved power looked for non-borbonic candidates to the throne. It's important to note that the carlist pretendent was also a borbon, so unaceptable for the people that had deposed Isabella.

Amadeo de Saboya and Hohenzollern where the preferred candidates. At the end, the spanish prefered the more liberal Amadeo. I think that Hohenzollern never stood a chance, but at least his name was in the pool of candidates.

Ivan the red said:
Amadeo de Saboya and Hohenzollern where the preferred candidates. At the end, the spanish prefered the more liberal Amadeo. I think that Hohenzollern never stood a chance, but at least his name was in the pool of candidates.
Thank you, Ivan. I ended up going with Karl Anton Hoh-Sig. I'd considered Amadeo, too, but since I'd just deposed his father a few months before... :D

And Allenby, thank you for the book recommendation! I would be very interested in that.

Rensslaer