So, it seems the supply system is going to be changed. Opinions?

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Even with rails, instantaneous unlimited transfer is a bit overkill, in my opinion. I could see having the maximum daily throughput limited by the level of rail infrastructure, where L10 rails would be pretty close to unlimited, but most of Europe would be considerably shy of that capacity. Some of it could be higher throughput than the present generic infrastructure allows, but there would be significant areas of limited rail coverage. HOI3 had to bump almost all of GER up to 10 infrastructure right from the start, just to make the system work at all. When you start at the maximum, there's no room for expansion.

Also, the tech to unlock the building of infrastructure was ridiculous. One day, I don't even know how to make gravel roads, and the next I can build multi-track high-speed rail systems and highways. Each progressive step in infrastructure should require an advancement in your Advanced Construction tech level (which should probably be renamed to something indicating roads and rails), not an "all or nothing" check-mark.

All good, but a small quibble would be that splitting rails and roads would also mean not having 10 levels for each kind of infra. I think 4-5 for each would work fine.

Also, yeah, construction techs of some sort need to be there. Not as a prerequisite for building any infra but for building the highest levels of it.

I'm a huge advocate of the rail-road split, but "instantaneous" and "unlimited" seem like taking it too far. Rails move "lots of stuff" "quickly" but supplies going from Berlin to Kiev are still going to take longer than a day, even with a good rail connection.

It sure does. An ideal system would not be instantaneous or unlimited. But the capacity of a rail line is very large, and along most operational rail tracks, all major powers of the war were more or less capable of supplying at least the ammunition and food that was needed (possibly with the exception of things like artillery shells).

Human planners can be relatively capable of planning basic provisions in such a way that the soldiers will not run out of food or bullets too quickly, as long as the total throughput is sufficient. For heavier equipment, countries like the USA and the UK did face some bottlenecks in their capability to transfer equipment overseas, but for land based nations (such as Germany and the USSR), the main challenges was to move their equipment from their rail heads to the soldiers at the front, especially when the distance from functional rail to the front was large. (Germany also had big issues with producing sufficient amounts of ammunition, food and fuel in the late war, and had to save up a stockpile in order to conduct operations such as the battle of the Bulge, but this was a limit of production capacity more than logistics).

Now, if you could make a computer AI that would do all the logistics from the factory to the rail head, it would be neat, but from my understanding, does not add so much realism (except for overseas supply). Instead, the effort put into the supply system should be focused on imposing the historical constraints that units faced during the war when operating too far from their rail head (for overland supply), as well on getting the capacity of overseas supply "just right".

Based on the assumption that transporting supplies along railroads was not the bottleneck during the war, I suggest that this aspect is removed from the game in order to make a system that is simpler for the developers to optimize in a predictable way, even for countries/coalitions that control a lot of territory.

Maybe there are other ways to solve this than my suggestion, but I have a feeling that there may be difficult to make a system with finite throughput and speed of supplies that will:

1) Avoid artificial bottlenecks around the capital (or other primary supply source)
2) Avoid similar bottlenecks in areas where a lot of supplies are transported, but where the aggregate capacity should be plentiful (such as Poland).
3) Provide a reliable way for the supply AI to judge if supply should be sent over land or if an overseas supply route should be set up, as well as how to set up automatic supply depots.
4) Prevent the kind of oscillation effects seen in HoI 3, where supply is sent back and forth between units and the capital all the time once supply capacity starts to be constrained.

Maybe player/AI controlled forward depots can help a bit, as it makes the movement of supplies to the combat divisions more of a local thing, but moving supplies to the forward depot could still be a problem. With unlimited speed/capacity along railroads, I think the need for player controlled depots is much smaller, as any territory with a rail connection to the central stockpile can be treated as if it were a local depot.

By making the central part of the logistics chain easier, the developer can focus on making the local supply situation much tougher (and more realistic), especially when in combat. Even a panzer division, which carried its own supplies, could only carry enough for 3-4 days of combat. In HOI 3, units would bring along 30 days of supplies and fuel in order, so that the problems with the supply system would be suppressed a bit. As we know, this led to a lot of other problems.

Even with rails, instantaneous unlimited transfer is a bit overkill, in my opinion. I could see having the maximum daily throughput limited by the level of rail infrastructure, where L10 rails would be pretty close to unlimited, but most of Europe would be considerably shy of that capacity. Some of it could be higher throughput than the present generic infrastructure allows, but there would be significant areas of limited rail coverage. HOI3 had to bump almost all of GER up to 10 infrastructure right from the start, just to make the system work at all. When you start at the maximum, there's no room for expansion.

I agree that rail should have levels (though I don't care if it's 5 or 10 levels). This would allow for partial damage to the railroad from logistics strike, partisans etc. At level 10 (assuming 10 levels), significant damage would have to be done in order to block the ability to transfer stuff by rail, while below level 4-5, one could assume that the rail there was not continuous, so throughput would be very low. (Part of the distance would have to be covered by trucks/horses).

The reason I would like to go to unlimited throughput/speed for rail is that I imagine that it would be A LOT easier to program, and that (from my limited reading) rail capacity along undamaged rail was rarely the supply bottleneck, even for single tracked railroad.

Rail at almost any level would be "continuous", but at lower levels would be mostly single-track, with few sidings or switch-yards. That would cause some issues with 2-direction traffic, slower and faster trains, swapping cars along the way, and other considerations, as well as being more vulnerable to short-term damage. Higher rail infrastructure would have multiple tracks, switching and sidings for passing or intermediate stops without blocking the way, and some redundancy in case of damage. At anything over "1", it doesn't mean local runs of track disconnected from each other.

At speeds of 30-40kph, we're still talking about a few days travel from Berlin to the rail heads near the front, but not weeks or months like it is now. Making it instantaneous to that point would be somewhat unrealistic, but significantly more realistic than the current system.

All good, but a small quibble would be that splitting rails and roads would also mean not having 10 levels for each kind of infra. I think 4-5 for each would work fine.

Also, yeah, construction techs of some sort need to be there. Not as a prerequisite for building any infra but for building the highest levels of it.

I agree that 4-5 would probably work fine, though I don't see a problem with 10 either, you could just make it twice as fast to build. I guess this is mostly a matter of how to streamline the GUI.

I like your idea that the highest levels of infra should require some construction tech, though it may be that it would be more relevant for the construction tech to affect the cost/time of building higher levels incrementally. In any case, the highest levels of rail/infra would represent the needs of the civilian populations in high density industrial areas, such as the Ruhr, the north east of the USA, around Paris, London etc. This capacity should exceed the needs of the military by a good margin, and would most likely only be affordable during peacetime.

The levels that existed in Western Europe and the USA before the war (maybe 6-8/10 in most places) should be sufficient for any supply movement, and should enable fairly swift movement of military units. Remember, even the four small roads through the Ardennes were enough to move 7 armored divisions in just a day or two, fast enough to take France by surprise.

I think the focus on maximum capacity infrastructure, is something many of us did in HOI 3 in order to reduce the issues with the supply system, but I don't really think it has a basis in history. Instead, I hope that HOI 4 will encourage improving rail/infra in areas where this was near non-existent before the war, such as in part of Eastern Europe, inner China, etc.

I agree that 4-5 would probably work fine, though I don't see a problem with 10 either, you could just make it twice as fast to build. I guess this is mostly a matter of how to streamline the GUI.

I like your idea that the highest levels of infra should require some construction tech, though it may be that it would be more relevant for the construction tech to affect the cost/time of building higher levels incrementally. In any case, the highest levels of rail/infra would represent the needs of the civilian populations in high density industrial areas, such as the Ruhr, the north east of the USA, around Paris, London etc. This capacity should exceed the needs of the military by a good margin, and would most likely only be affordable during peacetime.

The levels that existed in Western Europe and the USA before the war (maybe 6-8/10 in most places) should be sufficient for any supply movement, and should enable fairly swift movement of military units. Remember, even the four small roads through the Ardennes were enough to move 7 armored divisions in just a day or two, fast enough to take France by surprise.

I think the focus on maximum capacity infrastructure, is something many of us did in HOI 3 in order to reduce the issues with the supply system, but I don't really think it has a basis in history. Instead, I hope that HOI 4 will encourage improving rail/infra in areas where this was near non-existent before the war, such as in part of Eastern Europe, inner China, etc.

This was my biggest issue when podcat made a comment about how infra levels 1-7 are roads and 8-10 are rails. The Japanese built a railroad that ran from Bangkok to Rangoon in the span of one year. The game can't have Japan building 8 levels of infrastructure across 5 provinces in that span of time and the final result is ridiculous since it would equate the infrastructure on the Burmese coast with that of Marseilles or something.

But with a separate road and rail system, that railroad is easily modelled by having Japan build a level 1 rail across that distance.

It would really highlight the difficulty in fighting in places like Africa where the rails went from the interior to the coast but tended not to connect to one another. For example, if I'm Italy and I want to hold onto Ethiopia then I'm probably going to want to put rails that lead to where it borders British possessions. Similarly, I'd want to do that for an easier time in North Africa.

It's kind of tragic, but except for South Africa, the rail network in Africa is pretty much the same as it was pre decolonization.

africarail.gif

Rail at almost any level would be "continuous", but at lower levels would be mostly single-track, with few sidings or switch-yards. That would cause some issues with 2-direction traffic, slower and faster trains, swapping cars along the way, and other considerations, as well as being more vulnerable to short-term damage. Higher rail infrastructure would have multiple tracks, switching and sidings for passing or intermediate stops without blocking the way, and some redundancy in case of damage. At anything over "1", it doesn't mean local runs of track disconnected from each other.

At speeds of 30-40kph, we're still talking about a few days travel from Berlin to the rail heads near the front, but not weeks or months like it is now. Making it instantaneous to that point would be somewhat unrealistic, but significantly more realistic than the current system.

I agree with everything you write, except that I would like to see low level rail representing rail that have been damaged by partisans, bombers or that have the wrong rail gauge for the user, or rail lines that have been only partially completed. Building even a single tracked railroad through a province, is a very significant investment, so I think that having to go to for instance level 4/10 before you can use it, would be a fair representation. And with only a single track, any damage to that track (such as a destroyed bridge) would have very significant impact.

Concerning the speed of rail shipments, it seems we agree that it would be an improvement in itself, compared to HOI 3. The main reason I want it to be infinite, is that this would make it a lot easier to program(to my knowledge), possibly taking away the need to model forward depots. If you prefer to rationalize, you could just imagine every forward rail hex containing a depot, which would be replenished continuously.

This was my biggest issue when podcat made a comment about how infra levels 1-7 are roads and 8-10 are rails. The Japanese built a railroad that ran from Bangkok to Rangoon in the span of one year. The game can't have Japan building 8 levels of infrastructure across 5 provinces in that span of time and the final result is ridiculous since it would equate the infrastructure on the Burmese coast with that of Marseilles or something.

But with a separate road and rail system, that railroad is easily modelled by having Japan build a level 1 rail across that distance.

It would really highlight the difficulty in fighting in places like Africa where the rails went from the interior to the coast but tended not to connect to one another. For example, if I'm Italy and I want to hold onto Ethiopia then I'm probably going to want to put rails that lead to where it borders British possessions. Similarly, I'd want to do that for an easier time in North Africa.

It's kind of tragic, but except for South Africa, the rail network in Africa is pretty much the same as it was pre decolonization.

You make a good point about the speed that rail can be built. If we go into details about how, however, the thread will be closed.... Anyway, building that amount of rail is definitely very costly, one way or another.

I can see a justification for the ability to build rail capacity fairly quickly, maybe as fast as making a serviceable railroad in about a year. I still think that there would be advantages to having level 4/10 mean "continuous", as this allows for partial damage (=quickly repaired) by bombing and partisans, but you make a good case that at low levels, building rail could be quick (down to 3 months per level).

You make a good point about the speed that rail can be built. If we go into details about how, however, the thread will be closed.... Anyway, building that amount of rail is definitely very costly, one way or another.

I can see a justification for the ability to build rail capacity fairly quickly, maybe as fast as making a serviceable railroad in about a year. I still think that there would be advantages to having level 4/10 mean "continuous", as this allows for partial damage (=quickly repaired) by bombing and partisans, but you make a good case that at low levels, building rail could be quick (down to 3 months per level).

It's rare though for there to be uncontinuous rail roads at the scale of the individual HOI4 province which are 25-50 km across. I'm also a big fan of diminishing returns when it comes to logistics bombing. Repairing rails is not that hard to do provided you have the materials to do it, the only real trouble is when the rail bridges get taken out. What I would like to see would be a speed or construction cost bonus for building a rail next to another railway province. That way there'd be an incentive to build them the way they were actually built - one section at a time at the railhead.

I wasn't making a comment about the method of Japanese construction just that it was possible to build colonial railroads fairly quickly.

It's rare though for there to be uncontinuous rail roads at the scale of the individual HOI4 province which are 25-50 km across. I'm also a big fan of diminishing returns when it comes to logistics bombing. Repairing rails is not that hard to do provided you have the materials to do it, the only real trouble is when the rail bridges get taken out. What I would like to see would be a speed or construction cost bonus for building a rail next to another railway province. That way there'd be an incentive to build them the way they were actually built - one section at a time at the railhead.

I wasn't making a comment about the method of Japanese construction just that it was possible to build colonial railroads fairly quickly.

I don't think it makes a big difference if it is level 1 or level 4 that means continuous rail. The only, slight, difference, is that using level 4 as continuous means that you may have several severities of damage. If one level of damage took 1 week to repair, repairing a slightly damaged line would take 1 week, while repairing a line that is completely damaged would take a month.

This is all minor, however.

Also, the tech to unlock the building of infrastructure was ridiculous. One day, I don't even know how to make gravel roads, and the next I can build multi-track high-speed rail systems and highways. Each progressive step in infrastructure should require an advancement in your Advanced Construction tech level (which should probably be renamed to something indicating roads and rails), not an "all or nothing" check-mark.

When you say "instantaneous and unlimited" transfer over rail, it sounds bad at first. It is a simplification and an abstraction. Personally I have a lot less problem with that abstraction than having supply originate at the capital (or having mountains of resources all piled at the capital).

So far, any detailed system they have tried has taken shortcuts somewhere. This will probably always be the case. Some of the shortcuts we have seen to sophisticated and detailed systems have resulted in them being worse representations of reality than some simple boardgame mechanics have done.

SPI's treatment of supply in War in Eurpoe nearly 40 years ago worked better than most versions of HOI do. Those mechanics are dirt simple and very easy to understand, yet they also captured some of the key decisions that commanders had to make. Isn't this what it is really about? Let me make the decisions that matter. Do that with simple mechanics. Throw out any complex contraption no matter how well thought out it may be, if it comes along with quirks that make it unbearable (like allied divisions starving right next to divisions of the partner who "controls" the area in question.)

I think only three levels of rail are required to make a usable system:

1. Single rail line, single track

2. Single main line, double track

3. Several interconnecting lines with a double main line. Stations with facilities for loading/unloading etc.

Lvl 3 allows you to route some trains on branch lines when the main line is busy, or to easily bypass the effects of bombing, partisan activity. At this level there would not be infinite throughput, but enough to make it impossible to be a bottle neck even supplying huge armies. This is critical as one of the fundamental problems with the HOI 3 system is that ALL land based supplies had to pass through a couple of provinces. Berlin for instance is surrounded by only six provinces I think, and all of the supplies for the Eastern Front need to pass through potentially 3 of them, and possibly only one on the main line heading East towards Poland.

The limit for countries with modern rail systems connecting their capital to main cities and ports, is not how much traffic can be carried, but how many trains you have available. Partisans and logistics bombing can destroy these and shortages would have a more profound effect on the ability to supply distant armies, than the throughput of the lvl 3 rail lines. You would be forced to divert some IC to replacing trains, just as you have to replace convoy ships.

Lvl 2 and especially lvl 1 would be more of limiting factor. Obviously, if bombing lvl 3 long enough and with enough air units you should be able to reduce 3 to 2, and therefore start to limit throughput. This was the effect of Allied bombing in Northern France before D-Day.

It should be impossible to build new lvl 3 rail in the time scale of the game, and there should be little incentive to ever increase 2 to 3. Ideally only new lvl 1 would be possible, and expensive and slow.

I have no problem with "instant" movement. Yes unrealistic perhaps for one train to travel from Berlin to a railhead at Rostock in a single day. But the system is an abstract of a continuous flow of a number of trains along the route. A completely new route can't be established in a single day, but how would there be a new route like that? In nearly all cases the route is an extension of an existing route, as the front advances or retreats. Only an amphibious landing some where on the same continent might suddenly expand to link with existing rail routes. These situations are so rare I don't think you need to consider them.

But you must allow for some throughput limit, so that an Army Group can't be supplied through a series of provinces, jungle, mountains etc in remote areas where there is nothing in 1936. Japan must not be able to build a railway across China and Nepal capable of mounting a massive invasion of India.

If the devs said you could have rail, but no building new tracks because teaching the AI to do it would be impossibly hard, then I would be comfortable with that. You can do a couple of rail building events possibly.

Other than the Japanese efforts in SE Asia and some temporary Soviet lines around Leningrad and such how much new rail was really built during the period? Very little I think.

The WiE system of supply getting to the existing railhead then having a fixed distance it could cover to the end units worked very well. You could extend this distance by building supply units. These moved very slowly and could be vulnerable to enemy capture but they allowed for some additional extention beyond the railhead. The system also involved repair of damaged rail and rail conversion between Soviet and European gauges.

That game obviously did not cover the Pacific, but if it had, that system could have handled the Japanese efforts to extend supply to rangoon via the mobile supply units.

For a boardgame with simple mechanics it also managed to differentiate between major and minor ports and only being able to supply a limited number of divisions through them.

I guess what I am saying is that if we had differentiation between rail and other infrastructure, it would not be that great of a loss to not be able to build substantial amounts of new rail. In fact, the Japanese situation was so unique that it could be event driven.

I just want to make a point that if Railroad system is too useful, it'll be OP for Air Supremacy to stike and stop enemy trains, along with Japan can have mobile offensive with fast supply from Railroad.

For me, i think Supply truck column and Supply Train almost equal in Army Logistic. Once your train move your supply near the front, you have to have logistic trucks unit to carry them to the front. Japan can not beat the Soviet Union (even if they attack SU while Gernamy winning in Kiev, Smolensk, Orel, Leningrad...) it's simply because they can not supply their troop fast enough, most of the time they can attack slowly with infantry and then wait for supply while the Soviet Union/Gernamy Infantry can move at much higher speed because of better supply reaching the front and they get attack momentum rolling without constantly stopping a couple days for supply to catch up.

Soviet Union got like 150,000 Trucks from Lend-Lease, and producing like >200,000 Trucks to use in the war. Trucks is like the back-bone of their mechanized offensive and intensive use of Artillery to secure breakthrough on front line.

Last edited:
I just want to make a point that if Railroad system is too useful, it'll be OP for Air Supremacy to stike and stop enemy trains, along with Japan can have mobile offensive with fast supply from Railroad.

For me, i think Supply truck column and Supply Train almost equal in Army Logistic. Once your train move your supply near the front, you have to have logistic trucks unit to carry them to the front. Japan can not beat the Soviet Union (even if they attack SU while Gernamy winning in Kiev, Smolensk, Orel, Leningrad...) it's simply because they can not supply their troop fast enough, most of the time they can attack slowly with infantry and then wait for supply while the Soviet Union/Gernamy Infantry can move at much higher speed because of better supply reaching the front and they get attack momentum rolling without constantly stopping a couple days for supply to catch up.

Soviet Union got like 150,000 Trucks from Lend-Lease, and producing like >200,000 Trucks to use in the war. Trucks is like the back-bone of their mechanized offensive and intensive use of Artillery to secure breakthrough on front line.

The timing and the area of Russian Japanese border clashes happened in an area where Russian rails were closer to the combat theater than Japanese ones. No lend lease trucks had arrived yet.

I think supply is currently modified by infrastructure and infrastructure modifies too many variables. Obviously supply is of the top priority for infrastructure followed by troop movement speed, then the modifiers related to strategic bombing. The big problem I see is that infrastructure modifies too many variables and needs to be divided into transport infrastructure and production infrastructure, static building like defenses, and ports should not be included. Now to supply I think the issue is throughput, throughput is seen as a percentage IIRC of a possible total, maybe throughput should be a raw number. For example, Infra 1 can move 10 tons of supplies per day, infra 2 20 tons, infra 10 maxing out at 200 tons per day, there should be an exponential component to signify going from non-motorized infra to motorized infra to rail infra, again these would be modified for game balance this is just an example.

Maybe you could say that trucks and rail are "equal", but one is definitely more equal than the other.

Without trucks, it would be hard to conduct large mobile offensives, that is true. But without rail, it would be near impossible to sustain large inland operations at all.

Even the US, the most motorized of all countries, operating in France (which had relatively good infrastructure) ground to a halt in late August because they had not yet been able to restore French rail lines:

http://web.mst.edu/~rogersda/umrcourses/ge342/Railroads WWII ETO.pdf

For the axis powers, that mostly had to use horses instead of trucks, rail was even more important.

But the capacity of rail was probably the main reason that it is not a common topic in the literature. As long as rail networks were present and operational, their capacity was usually much greater than the capacity of the trucks/horses/men that would carry the supplies from the rail head to the front. Since the trucks/horses were the bottleneck, they receive most attention.

This should be the same in the game. Where rail networks are operational, their capacity should simply be sufficient (at least most of the time), and the pain for the player (and AI) should start when the troops were operating so far from the rail head that they start to run low on supplies.

I sincerely agree with the notion of including railroads as seperate sort of infrastructure and hope PI will reconsider if they have already decided otherwise. As for the numbers: I am not sure if there needs to be a cap at all (as long as one doenst insist on little bars for them in the GUI). One level = One continous track. Done. The 100th track in the same province simply wont help you, when 10 suffice for all purposes. If the RR-infra drops below one, it means, that there is no continous, undamaged, track avaiable at the time and RR-operations through the province halt until there is, again.

It follows, that a single track may not have instantanious and unlimited transport capacity. That would make building RR very iffy, anyways. You´d have to make at least the first track almost prohibitively expensive in order to prevent RR-spam. But then, you could also just stick with the old system, instead, where the prohibitive cost would come in disguise of 7 levels of road-infra you´d have to build first.

Given the average province sizes, a travel speed of 1 tile per hour (not day) would seem appropriate, imo, with capacity being subject to balance, obviously.

Things i´d find interesting to debate:
- Rolling stock: Yes or no? Is the inclusion of locomotives and waggons (akin to convoys) needed?
- Railheads: Fixed locations (cities?) to unload rail´s cargo, or HQs sitting on/close to the railline? Both, with the later having less unloading capacitý? Railheads constructable? The transition basically, from supplies and rails to supplies off rails - how and where does it happen?

I sincerely agree with the notion of including railroads as seperate sort of infrastructure and hope PI will reconsider if they have already decided otherwise. As for the numbers: I am not sure if there needs to be a cap at all (as long as one doenst insist on little bars for them in the GUI). One level = One continous track. Done. The 100th track in the same province simply wont help you, when 10 suffice for all purposes. If the RR-infra drops below one, it means, that there is no continous, undamaged, track avaiable at the time and RR-operations through the province halt until there is, again.

It follows, that a single track may not have instantanious and unlimited transport capacity. That would make building RR very iffy, anyways. You´d have to make at least the first track almost prohibitively expensive in order to prevent RR-spam. But then, you could also just stick with the old system, instead, where the prohibitive cost would come in disguise of 7 levels of road-infra you´d have to build first.

Given the average province sizes, a travel speed of 1 tile per hour (not day) would seem appropriate, imo, with capacity being subject to balance, obviously.

Things i´d find interesting to debate:
- Rolling stock: Yes or no? Is the inclusion of locomotives and waggons (akin to convoys) needed?
- Railheads: Fixed locations (cities?) to unload rail´s cargo, or HQs sitting on/close to the railline? Both, with the later having less unloading capacitý? Railheads constructable? The transition basically, from supplies and rails to supplies off rails - how and where does it happen?

I never viewed rails as having a "set speed" as much a modifier for the supply speed, supply capacity, and strategic redeployment speed through a province. It would be ludicrous to actually have the player have to control for two trains going towards eachother on a single track, so that would be abstracted. A low level rail line is just doesn't move as much or as fast as a higher level rail line to represent the headaches that come from coordinating travel along a single track.

The problem with the old system is that it requires the 7 levels of infra first. The Russian empire didn't build a paved road across Asia and then lay the transiberian on top of it.

1) Rolling stock... It could work but I'm not sure whether it would be a helpful bit of task loading for the player.

2) Railheads... A train can stop and unload anywhere on the track. Nothing special needs to be here. Just make higher level rails unload faster. Supply to rails and supplies off rails happens when supply has to move off rails. Then it's dependent on the regular road network. I'd love for there to be attachable truck and horse logistics elements for divisions but that idea was vetoed by the Devs.

So we are pretty much on the same page, then. Of course bi-directional movement along a single track should not be actively managed by the player, but rather be abstracted. But if the level drops below 1 (due to bombing, say, to 0.8) it means, that not a single undamaged track runs through the province and thus rail-transport is not possible until the level reaches 1 or more again.

If one considers that, given enough rolling stock, a doubleline could theoretcially be made into a conveyor belt, while the lack of it renders even the mightiest track useless, its unclusion seems desireable. If one considers, otoh, the arising complexity of the system, it seems not, though.

As for the logstics elements: Maybe those should rather be part of the HQ structure, which would be forwarding the supplies and act as a hub, thereby defining its range-limits and capacities? Say army and corps HQs would be integrated into the supply chain as routing points/hubs. You´d have to put your army HQ close enough to the rails so that its logistic assets are able to pick things up from it, and close enough to the Corps-HQs, to which it forwards what it draws. Those in turn would need to be close enough to their divs by the same principle.