• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
You at least don't have to worry about the Turks to the east anymore. Instead, you have the BWB and Burgundy. Ooof. :eek:

Duke of Wellington - You'd have liked my last Austria game then - the OE completely overran Eastern Europe, annexing Hungary, Poland and Pommerania, and controlled the Baltic Coast as far north as Osel. :eek:
Actually, the OE usually does well in Europe, at least initially - it's just really bad at breaking out into Mesopotamia & Syria, much less Persia or Egypt.

Enewald - This is about as bad as I've seen the Ottomans do in NA. The Burgundy-Austria alliance just killed them. Not that the Popes are complaining...

Murmurandus - Not to mention the Big Blue Blob (aka France). And don't forget Castile...

Amric - I think jwolf has it - the Turks lost their army in the first war with Austria/Poland/Burgundy and couldn't recover fast enough to keep the sharks at bay. And everyone hates them, which doesn't help.

jwolf - At least one. Possibly a whole new Hell, if they don't stop spreading.

coz1 - Well, the good thing is that they like me. The bad thing is that they're closer than the Turks were and a lot more powerful.

I look at Sicily and ponder. They're in a PU under Aragon, who will no doubt inherit them eventually. If I DOW, I won't be able to make peace unless I make peace with Aragon, which could prove tricky if Castile doesn't come in. Castile has an alliance with Aragon and great relations, but their relations with Sicily itself are rather poor. I have a 45% chance of fabricating claims on Abruzzi. Hmm....

Anyway, for the moment I'm waiting for Land 10 and better troops.

Austria annexes Wallachia. In case they needed to be bigger.

I get an offer to join the HRE. Why not? The northern HRE has been consolidating very slowly, but the number of members is starting to drop. Unusually, the biggest player in the North is a 5-province Gelre.

Persia takes three provinces from the Ottomans, including one in Europe. The Turks are down to three. And Persia annexes Dulkadir, for good measure.

I hit Land 10 and upgrade my infantry to Free Shooters. Fire just isn't very important at this tech level.

Attempt to infiltrate Sicily's spies and fail. Attempt to fabricate claims on Abruzzi and fail. Send a gift to Mantua for 0.00 relation gain. Nice going, guys.

The Palatinate goes Protestant. I resort to accepting Mantua's offer of a trade agreement and they still refuse annexation.
They say trouble comes in threes – I wonder what's next?

France finally makes white peace with England and immediately annexes Riga. That'll do.

And after yet another round of gifts and diplomats Mantua finally accepts. Maybe my luck's turned. I build the workshop they somehow forgot and try Abruzzi again.

Nope. Another 100 ducats down the drain.

The Timurids and Delhi go up against Persia and Lithuania. Could be a real clash of the titans.

Parma is a core. Good.

Now the Protestant idiots in the Palatinate and Hesse try to grab Lithuania's Bohemian provinces and get jumped themselves by a Catholic minor alliance. Likewise good.

And three failures out of three in Abruzzi. Not good.

Luneberg goes Protestant. The HRE badly needs my influence.

And Corfu DOWs the Ottomans, bringing in Burgundy. Time for the final Turk stomp?

Rats. Crimea is with the Ottomans and they're alliance leader. That means Corfu & Burgundy probably won't be able to make the separate peaces I need them to make.

And now Saxony goes Protestant. Cut it out!

Innocentius crushes the Turkish army in Thrace – and dies in the moment of victory, thus upholding Papal tradition. On the plus side, Pius III is a great administrator – and I actually have the money for a real general. Rafaello Zara (4/2/1/1) takes up the baton.

While the cat's away, the mice will play. Revolt in Verona, which Austria emphatically squashes for me, using 40,000 troops to do it. Thanks, I think.

The Ottomans are attempting to siege Corfu. I charge merrily in pursuit and run into a few rebels on the way.
About 15,000 rebels, to be exact. Ouch.

Crete declares war on Athens. Austria supports Crete. Sorry, Athens, but it's like this....

Aragon, Castile, Portugal and Sicily declare war on Athens. OK, I wanted a war with Sicily but not this one!

I reach Gov 12 and start mass-building Constables.

Crete annexes Athens. I take Salonica and Thrace and make peace with the Ottomans, giving Smyrna to Burgundy. Burgundy is overrunning Crimea, but Crimea won't make peace for money. Idiots.

Now Austria and friends (including Burgundy) DOW the Ottomans. Let's hope they're satisfied with Salonica.

Level-3 Statesman available. Probably an improvement on a level-2 Artist. And while I'm about it, I trade my level-3 Artist for a newer model.

Crimea is actually at war with Burgundy twice. Not sure how this is going to work out if I make peace...

...Of course, if they go on refusing offers, I'll never know.

Trade 12 reached. Up to the historical limit.

Ooh. Crimea makes peace with Austria, releasing Trebizond and Georgia and giving up cores on the Austrian Black Sea possessions, but without the Ottomans losing territory. The Burgundian-controlled Crimean provinces are returned to Crimean control, even though they're still at war. I make white peace quickly, before everyone gets too confused.

Best thing about the war was three rounds of war taxes, which gave me enough money to finish the constables.

My prestige is in the toilet (-54!) after the Athens affair. I squish a rebellion in Venice (just to be nice), take a slider push to Free Subjects and try to annex Milan, but they're not buying.

Coming up to the end of the truce with the Ottomans. I need someone else to fight them first and take that last province.

Crunch! Austria (with Hungary, Poland, Burgundy, Georgia & Trebizond, but not Crete, who dishonoured) DOWs Persia. That I did not see coming.

Land 12 reached. Now for Trade 13 and Marketplaces.

The Spanish alliance (& Sicily) DOWs Crete. Serve 'em right.

Cyprus & France join the dogpile on Crete. War is breaking out all over the HRE as the Protestants make trouble again and the Gelre alliance clashes with Denmark.

I annex Milan (yay!), ally with Savoy (at last), get a core on Modena and am just ready to call it a day when Corfu DOWs Crete. It seems slightly excessive, given that Portugal holds Crete and Aragon is sieging Athens, but it costs nothing, so I accept and take war taxes.

Trier vassalises the Palatinate, but sadly does not force them to renounce their heresy. Castile vassalises Crete and forces the release of Athens – thank you, Castile. I try to make peace for ducats but Crete says no. Someone with a fleet put them out of my misery, please.

The Palatinate, obviously not as defeated as they should have been, annexes Alsace. Someone rid me of these cursed heretics.

It's Cyprus who finally get an army to Crete. I take their money, Burgundy vassalises them, Cyprus annexes them. Hah. If you'd left Athens alone, none of that would have happened.

The Papal States in 1546
Pap_1546.JPG

Failing in a spy mission also costs you prestige, if I remember correctly. That is another of the reasons your prestige is in the crapper....but your machinations for Thrace may end up blowing up in your face, but I certainly hope it doesn't....

That purple donut hole must go, now! :D

I've been playing the Pope in MMGold and it's taken me three tries to survive. :eek:

Joe

Mmm, pretty smooth ride... I wonder what's up next... :D

I learn so much about EU3 reading gameplay AARs by you, Amric, and Storey. Shame I haven't much time to play.

Still reading and enjoying, merrick.

Vann

You got a real general now, do you mean your troops are no longer commanded by your fearsome head of state. It's the end of an era. No longer we will see popes charging towards the enemy, screaming latin battlecries that nobody understands, flailing their arms wildly and getting their feet caught up in their robes.

merrick said:
Someone with a fleet put them out of my misery, please.
You have a way with words :D

The Timurids and Delhi go up against Persia and Lithuania. Could be a real clash of the titans.

[A bit later...]

Crunch! Austria (with Hungary, Poland, Burgundy, Georgia & Trebizond, but not Crete, who dishonoured) DOWs Persia.

Are Persia and Lithuania allied? :confused: If so, then Austria and Poland are fighting the Liths, too? That could be a real slugfest. Sure you don't want to get in the middle of it? :p :D

Congratulations on your progress with the Papal State. Decades of work are starting to pay off at last.

Somewhere in that Crete-Corfu-Crimea cluster of confusion I got a brain freeze. :D

Here's hoping you get the chance to move on Sicily or Naples sometime soon.

I may have missed this: what is your situation vis-a-vis Genoa?

Amric - The failed spies probably didn't help, but it was having to refuse three alliance calls from Athens that really did for my prestige.

Storey - Not so easy, is it? The early wars are vicious, and it's hard to get a solid ally.

Murmurandus - Wait and see :)

Vann the Red - Glad you're still enjoying it. I wouldn't call my gameplay a model of anything except maybe perseverance, but it might give you some pointers what to avoid.

Slinky - Love the image. :) Sadly for the drama the current Pope is Admin 8 Diplo 7 Military 3 and is being kept safe in a small padded room in the Vatican. But things may change in future.

Enewald - Still working on the Sicily problem. If I could just get a CB...
The writing, at least, will continue.

jwolf - I don't think Persia and Lithuania are allied, I think it was a warning/guarantee thing. So Austria and Poland are not currently at war with Lithuania, AUstria and Burgundy are currently wading into Persia.

Director - If you need to distinguish between Crete, Corfu & Crimea (they're all small, nasty and more-or-less interchangable), Corfu is currently my ally, Crimea is currently the Ottomans' ally and Crete is currently dead, having foolishly left its alliance and been dogpiled in short order.

Genoa is a vassal-ally. If I annexed it my trade empire would crumble overnight from the non-core CoT penalty, so this is not likely to change soon.

Trade 13 and Mantua revolts to celebrate. Zara puts them down at the second attempt and it's marketplaces all round.

And now Zara is dead. Short career.

Castile and Aragon DOW Algiers/Morocco/Tripoli. Naturally I come to their aid and start collecting war taxes. One of these days I'll actually think about building some ships.

Burgundy takes three provinces from Persia. Austria is still at war. To Turk or not to Turk?

The King of Burgundy is the new HRE. I wonder what Austria did to make themselves unpopular.

We hit Land 13 and upgrade our non-existent cannon.

Castile continues their conquest of North Africa, taking three provinces from Algiers and one from Morocco.

Muscovy annexes Novgorod. Could we be about to see Russia?

Poland annexes Pomerania. We fail to annex Savoy.

The war chest is filling up nicely. Now, if I DOW the Ottomans, what are the odds of Corfu (or somebody) making a separate peace for Salonica, thus allowing me to annex Thrace. Or should I go on waiting for someone else to strip that last province out?

Cleves goes Protestant. Saxony is warmongering in Bohemia.

I waited too long. Castile DOWs the Ottomans.

Rats. We aren't war leader. That means even if someone does take Salonica, I won't be able to annex the Turks!

Poland is the next HRE. Austria finally makes peace with Persia, taking their Balkan province.

Castile takes Salonica and makes a separate peace with the Ottomans. I white-peace with Crimea and start counting down the truce time.

Savoy is annexed on the second try. France forces Denmark to release Sweden and Finland. Sweden comes out as a bizarre scatter of provinces, presumably because it had been forced to release claims in previous wars. Something to look at for In Nomine, perhaps?

The Teutonic Order revolts from Poland. This will be brief, I fear. But it may distract Austria.

Just for a laugh, we try to annex Tuscany. No luck.

And now Vijayanagar forces Bengal to release Deva Bengal. Nothing like impartiality.

We make excellent wine, pity we're too stable to enjoy it. And our army in Edirne, positioned there to jump on Thrace, puts down a revolt against the Austrians, completely inadvertently.

Amazingly, the Teutons not only survive, but actually manage to acquire a second province (by defection). Vijayanagar annexes Deva Bengal, ending the Bengali Shuffle. And Denmark seems to be the new whipping-boy of Europe. First France, then Brandenburg, now Gelre.

Slider-push to full Free Subjects. Income up to 100 ducats/month. But we still can't annex Tuscany.

Truce with the Ottomans is ticking down, ticking down. Piedmont revolts, but the French deal with it for me. I get the inevitable alliance offer from the Teutons.

And we're clear to DOW the Ottomans! Everyone's in on our side, Crimea takes over on theirs, but it doesn't matter provided I get the siege on Thrace.

They're serious about their revolts in Piedmont. Fortunately my allies are serious about killing them.

Land 14 and Caracolle cavalry. No reason not to upgrade, the Turks no longer have an army.

Saxony annexes Wurzburg. The Protestant bloc in the HRE is becoming a menace.

And as if on cue, Gov 14 and the next NI. Deus Vult!

The walls of Constantinople are breached ... the banners advance ... and the City is reclaimed for Christendom (and I don't mean the heretical Greek sort, either).

Of course, the inhabitants may need some persuasion. I send in the missionaries.

Eep! Due to a wholly-unexpected quirk of the game system, we are now accepting Turkish culture. Whose idea was that?

Crimea won't give 50 ducats for peace. Crimea is ruled by idiots. I demand they release Moldavia and they accept. Like I said.

And we still can't annex Tuscany.

Burgundy is back in as HRE. Denmark is apparently trying to protect Huron from England. Another triumph of the warnings system.

Since I appear to have money, I try fabricating a claim on Abruzzi again. No dice – and discovered. As you were.

The Eastern Mediterranean in 1557
E_Med_1557.JPG

(To sum up: the pale red in Bosnia and Transylvania is Poland. The dark red further north is Hungary. The brownish-red in Dalmatia and the Morea is Aragon. The yellow in Greece is Castille. The grey is Athens, the pink is Corfu, the blue in the Greek islands is France and the Burgundy is obvious.)

The ottomans could have been so much more, and now they don't exists any more.
That is the penalty for destroying the last stand of Rome. :p
And now the true leader of Rome can stand forward, because Constantinus the Great gave him the rights to rule every Roman province. :D
Forwards with the Pope!
The one true church shall triumph over the heresies. :)

Just read through. Very entertaining.

That´s enough shades of red to paint a whole rose garden. There´s not enough of that not quite white, definitely not green, little bit of yellow colour which is the papal states.

Nice work with Thrace. Patience is a virtue. ;)

I can't say I'm too comfortable with France having such a position in northern Italy though.

The Balkans (and Turkey) are a mess (as usual)... Do something about that! ;)

merrick said:
And as if on cue, Gov 14 and the next NI. Deus Vult!

This should almost be a requirement for the Papal States. :D

It's funny that Turkish is an accepted culture now. :rofl:

Did you have a core claim on Thrace? If not, I'm wondering what will happen to your merchants.

I've seen big powers go down to complete defeat, but still the Turks' collapse in your game is incredible due to how quickly they fell. Only 100 years since they took Constantinople, and at their historical height in our timeline, but in your game -- poof! And they're gone. It's ironic that you dealt successfully with the Turks, but are stuck against Aragon and Sicily.

Enewald - It's funny you should say that, because heresies become much more important in the next update or two...

stnylan - Glad you enjoyed it. :)

Slinky - It could be worse. It could be the original EU3 1.0 colourscheme, where Austria was red as well...
And the Papal States will expand, err, somewhere.

coz1 - They don't have a position in North Italy, they have a position right next door. It's Burgundy and Castile that have positions in North Italy.

Murmurandus - They're not a mess, they're nicely distributed among the Catholic Powers with no nasty Muslims or Orthodox nearer than Persia.

jwolf - Yes, I fabricated a claim on Thrace some time ago. I still need to fabricate claims on Liguria and Venizia if I want to annex them.

The Turks got a slow start - it took three wars to break Hungary and then they ran straight into the Austro-Polish alliance - but the real killer was when Burgundy got involved. Burgundy (believe it or not) hasn't DOWed anyone for the best part of fifty years - instead they've been thrashing Turks as allies of me or Austria.