• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Les Arpents Malheureux

RkSbJCb.jpg

By Armand Thiers (Pen-name)​

The Arpents Malheureux is a french novel written by the mysterious Armand Thiers. The novel, follows the life of Jean-Baptiste Bourgogne, a farmer from the Gers and is divided in four parts, named for each season. If Spring and Summer constitutes an unapologetic promotion of rural life, Autumn and Winter marked its decline. In the end, Jean-Baptiste Bourgogne, who devoted his whole life to his land, will die in exile in a small town of the Low-Countries.

Spring :This first part of the novel set the decor of the whole oeuvre. Jean-Baptiste Bourgogne, an orphan, lives with his uncle Robert, a childless widower. He his madly in love with Églantine Blanchet, the daughter of a nearby farmer, and is well intent on marrying her, given that his uncle is willing to cede him the land as a wedding gift. Jean-Baptiste inherits the land faster than expected, as his uncle died prematurely. “The poor old man would finish his days in the village, like he had planned. He died on his farm, lying in the earth of his land who had not consented to such a divorce.” After mourning, Jean-Baptiste marries Églantine and their first children are born.

Summer: The family keeps getting bigger, as Jean-Baptiste is an adept and prosperous farmer. He now has eight living children, while having lost 5 to the depredations of sickness. Every year, while other farmer spends their hard-earned money on baubles and drinks, Jean-Baptiste brings his earnings to his notary, depositing them for interests. His eldest son, Richard, is accepted to the Seminary, a fact that covers him with pride and joy. He is now a minor notable in his hamlet. However, toward the end of this second part, his life slowly starts to unravel. First, his wife, exhausted by the numerous pregnancies, dies. Moreover, his third son, Thomassin, discontent to be working on a land which shall not be willed to him in the end, is harboring ideas of starting a new life in the Low-Countries.

Fall : The season of all miseries! Élodie, his rebellious daughter, has fled the paternal house to go live in Paris. Richard, now graduated from the Seminary, is assigned to a remote parish in Brittany, where he is lodged poorly and badly treated by the Church. He quickly catches a deadly sickness and expires. Thomassin having enough of this life, deserted the land and relocated to the Low-Countries. Even worse, Jean-Baptiste get involved in lawsuits against a neighbor, which he loses even though his case was worthy and right. Upon coming back from the the trial, he witnesses a large column of smoke. His barn, with the entire harvest, has been destroyed by fire. When he travels to his notary to gather the necessary funds to rebuild, he realizes that the new notary, who took the practice when his old one retired, had fled with the money. Ruined, Jean-Baptiste is forced by his second son, his heir, to cede him the land early, in exchange for a modest stipend.

Winter : In this final part, Jean-Baptiste decides to visit his son in the Low-Countries, where he has found employment in a factory. Quite shocked that his son had married a Dutch girl without his consent, he realizes that his grand-children knows not a word of French. Saddened and desirous of returning to France, he is unable to afford it because his second son, to whom he bequeathed the land in exchange of a rent, defaults on the payments. He dies in exile, estranged from all he held dear.

The Arpents Malheureux was a contradictory novel, which could appeal to a diverse crowd. On the one hand, by lionizing rural life, the book was promoting the simplistic values of agrarian life. The generally despicable roles attributed to the youth by the author, them being ungrateful and rebellious, was carefully weighted to appeal to a generation which labored to understand their own children, often swept away by the winds of liberalism. On the other hand, the more astute readers could discern the contours of a carefully masked but quite scathing critique of the religious mindset of the Ancien Régime, which valued obedience, loyalty and industry, such values being displayed by the main protagonist who ends up in misery nonetheless. The faillite of the institutions, represented by the Church letting Bourgogne's son die, and his new notary taking off with his lifetime savings, was perceived by some as a prophetic critic of the current society.

((Apologies, I misread; disregard the previous statement. It is still, however, bad manners to approach the table of the King uninvited. Make of that what you will.))

((Duly noted, I actually meant for him to approach a clerk or toastmaster, but made it a courtmember somehow.. Thanks anyway)).

Fort de Bethehaume.

Lothaire returned home to his little Fort after the Banquet. He had a good time and enjoyed it greatly. Despite making somewhat of a fool of himself, first in the presence of some girl and Henri Bourbon and then most emberassing the King and his court. But Lothaire were used to getting unwanted attention, and as such he were not bothered by it for long. He returned to his fort and were dissapointed that the Minister of War had not made a reply. It was difficult for him to do his mission when no one wanted to hear him out. In the middle of his dily administrative routines Lothaire reminded himself that he had to be a gentleman and make up for the inconvience he had ceated during the banquet.

((Private letter to @Eid3r Princess of Croy)).

Esteemed Princess,

Let me apologise for my actions that befell your daughter. There is no excuse for what I did, but I hope you will accept my apology. Also state any compensation for both the dress and the dignity that I have tarnished and I will deliver the payment.

-Chef de bataillon Lothaire Lécuyer.

After his shift, which were not so long due to there was simply not much to do at the fort due to the neglect of the higher ups, Lothaire would spend the rest of the evening in Brest. There he met with several liberal officers in a local Young Frank saloon and discussed the turn of events. They were especially inflamed by the proposal of the Sacriledge Act. The government were starting on their "crusade" against the charter and the liberties of the French. As such Lothaire had contacted the journalist he were funding in le Globe and wanted him to write an article of the act.

Le Globe.

Human justice v. God's judgement.

King Charles X were crowned with great pomp and splendor. It was as such he would bring France into a new age, a new dawn of prosperity. But as Catherine the Great were mislead by the scenery as she visited Crimea after its annexation. The local governor set up a great scenery to impress her and convince her all were great, but she was indeed misled. And are we misled now? Are we to be culled with a royal fever while the ultra-reactionary government revert us to a time long gone?

We should thread careful not to go to the ways of the old, we should learn from our mistakes not repeat them. Sadly enough it seems as if the government intend to repeat their mistake and refuse the new political situation. If the so called Anti-Sacriledge Act pass through the legaslative chambers it will not only be in violation of the Charter - it will be in violation of the very freedom of thought and freedom of religion. We, the French, have as commanded by King Louis XVIII are to have these rights secured. Is this only a first step in the government's quest to render the Charter void?

The state are supposed to protect the rights and liberties of its population. The state are to protect the freedom of religion, not to abolish it. Human justice should not be in place of God's judgement. As such the government take upon themself to be the judge for God. That is not their purpose however, to take upon that mantle is blasphemous in itself.

And how many French are indeed not Catholic? We should guard upon their rights, not retract them.

It is simple: We are not the judges of God. The state are to create laws that protect the freedom of religion, to protect the laws set by Louis XVIII. Not to breach their contract to the King, people and Charter by setting it all aside in their ultra-reactionary pursuit - which is an affront to moderate principles and even reactionaries may deem it blasphemous. Let us pray to God that the Deputies and Peers will see the light and not take up the mantle to be the judge of God.

----

Indemnification Law: No.
Law of the Holiday of the Martyrdom: Abstain.
Law of the Standardization of Succession: No.
Law on the Protection of the Church: No.

[Party]
[Incomprehensible Insurgent +2pp(?)]

- Name

Indemnification Law: No
Law of the Holiday of the Martyrdom: Yes (Edit)
Law of the Standardization of Succession: No
Law on the Protection of the Church: No

[Doctrinaire]
[Rising Financier: +1.5]

- Thibaut Duval

In the salons of Paris he could be heard to comment on the legislation his crony in the Chamber was voting upon...

The Law of the Standardization of Succession is overly backwards looking and should be modified to include possible inheritance to female heirs should no male heirs be present, not to mention its vague language could be used to undo the many protections of family members included in the current code law of inheritance.

The many offenses of the other three laws I have already made well known.

((Private))
Edit: changed to vote yes on the Holiday of the Martyrdom in obeisance to my Masonic overlords

Last edited:
Jean Paul, Comte de Saint Germain, made landfall in secrecy. Staying at his father's hunting lodge, deep in the woods of northern Calais, he made contact exclusively with the lodge and his other interests, and still frequently took a slender and unconspicious ship back to Britain once a month. From his seclusion he coordinated the establishment of a new journal. Buying many more presses he made sure that the Journal was distributed both to Paris and to Mason lodges throughout the country, where the idea was that members would spread the liberally-minded paper to other circles within French high society.
GQRUBVJ.png

Law of the Holiday of the Martyrdom: Abstain

[Unaffiliated]
[+1PP]

Last edited:
To the Duc de Saint-Aignan ((@Marschalk))

Your Grace

Your advice is much appreciated in this matter. Saint-Germain not only hurt my reputation in this whole ordeal, but had the tenacity to mock me when confronted. I fear a demand of satisfaction is the only course of action I have left. If it does devolve into a duel, I would be greatly humbled if you would serve as my second in the affair.

-Nathanaël Barrande, Comte de L'Isle Jourdain

To the Comte de Saint Germain ((@Shynka))

Sir

Your tenacity to mock me in regards to this situation have insulted me grievously. As such, I demand satisfaction.

To the Duc de Saint-Aignan ((@Marschalk))

Your Grace

Your advice is much appreciated in this matter. Saint-Germain not only hurt my reputation in this whole ordeal, but had the tenacity to mock me when confronted. I fear a demand of satisfaction is the only course of action I have left. If it does devolve into a duel, I would be greatly humbled if you would serve as my second in the affair.

To the Comte de Saint Germain ((@Shynka))

Sir

Your tenacity to mock me in regards to this situation have insulted me grievously. As such, I demand satisfaction.

Dear Monsieur,

Me giving satisfaction to members of your household has so far caused you only trouble. I urge you to rethink.

~S.G.

If the honorable gentlemen would so kindly, in private, inform their seconds of their intention for the duel, their choice of weapon, the locale of the battle, and whether or not the respective individual intends to combat a la mort.

Indemnification Law: Abst.
Law of the Holiday of the Martyrdom: Oui
Law of the Standardization of Succession: Oui
Law on the Protection of the Church: Abst.

[Ultraroyalistes]
[Flexible Intransigent, +1.5PP; Cabinet Minister, +1PP]

"Monsieur le Président,

"I would like to dismiss all the accusations levied against the Law on the Standardization of Succession. Indeed, it does not enforce any sort of standard upon the holders of estates. Rather, the proposal simplifies the process in disputed instances, and serves to protect the well-being of inheritable property. It is for this very reason that the law would ostensibly ensure that the masculine element - far more suitable for matters of finance and organization - would be the preferred inheritor in the unspecified instances which we hope to target. Of course, if it is the will of the decedent that his estate be transferred in a different matter, the language of the law seeks to preserve such a right, and simply reserves the general standard for instances in which a will does not exist.

"Merci."

Arnaud Alexandre de Berstett,

Député au 4e collège du Bas-Rhin,
Ministre de l'intérieur

As Lothaire never got a reply for his report he decided to resign. On the onset of May 1825, prior to the coronation, he delivered his resignation and a list of reccomendation for his successor, namely Morgenstern who he had promoted to Capitaine. In his letter of resignation Lothaire made it clear he would leave his station in August as he had applied to a 1.5 year Military Study in the École Militaire in Paris.

The two first semesters would be named the "Staff-Study" and the last semester would be followed up by a degree. For the first semester Lothaire were to study in the subjects of: Scientific theory and methology; Scientific method Part 1; French and International Politics; Military history and theory; Military managments and leading (start). Lothaire were exited as it would give him a solid academic backround for advancement in the army. If he succeeded in the study he would gain insight in the military forces practical capability and restrictions under varying technological, social, political and cultural conditions. The study would also emphasise on giving the students the needed knowledge, skills and attitude to assess and execute decisions on an operational and strategic level. He would also move back to Paris and out of the isolation the last minister of war had forced upon him - something that was most appriciated by his family.

Lothaire also got a letter with a brief description of each of the subjects for his first year.

Scientific theory and methology: An introduction to epistemology and researchstrategy, argumentation- and pictureanalysis and introduce you to decision theory. A central theme is deciption and reality.

Scientific method: An introduction to central social-scientific issues and method, also basic education and training in the use of social scientific methology in the writing process.

French and International Politics: French and international politics constitute a vital contextual condition for military leaders and decision makers both in an operational and strategic level. The subject will give you a comprehensive understanding of how decisions to apply military force are taken.

Military history and theory: Contain strategy, doctrine and technology, seen in a broad theoretical, historical and societal contex. These are central concepts for military leaders on an operational and strategical level, have a great importance for operational activities national and international, and for the development of new military doctrines and operational concepts.

Military managments and leadership: Are to give you the required knowledge and skillset in effecient leadership and justifiable management in the armed forces. After the subject you are to appear as a clear, credible and aware leader and colleague, with a holistic understanding of operationalization of political objectives through competent leadership.

The Comte de L'Isle Jourdain (in order to satisfy his opponent's rather annoying insistence on making this whole affair public), public states the insults levied by the Comte de Saint-Germain (insulting his reputation, mockery of the situation, etc) followed by a demand for satisfaction. Newspapers pick up the information shortly afterwords.

The Court of Cassation, established by His Majesty the King, which was employed in the matter of capital offensives, had resolved earlier that capital punishment was to be applied in the event of a man's death; attempted murder where the duel had been agreed upon to the death, and, in other cases, voluntary and deliberate assault. These laws newly promulgated, and the possibility of a duel made public, there emerged a chance for prosecution by the Crown, but the people, and indeed, the establishment of France, remain very much married to the concept and the purpose of the duel.

0eb0yjG.jpg

Dinner and a Show

Roger "Filanchi" Disney
Pleased with himself over the generally welcoming reception of his Les Aventures Filanchi, Disney was perhaps most proud of the letter delivered to his household bearing the mark of one Henri de Bourbon. Although he seldom understood the intricacies of French politics or the upper crust of society, Disney knew well enough from the name and decent paper material that this was his chance at a proper patron.

Responding back with all due courtesy, Disney graciously accepted the invitation to dinner, his mind already on how he would angle himself forward as the prime feature of the party. Yes, he thought, stroking his thick mustache, he would need to earn his income if he were to sustain his literary momentum, even if it meant regaling a few pale-skinned shut-ins who seldom knew the different sorts of shrubberies and their relation to medicinal alchemy.

Sliding a tomahawk into his satchel, its edge still stained with the blood of a Virginian slave-hunter, Disney hummed a little diddy he learned off a Creole boatman in New Orleans, occasionally muttering a few words.

"Dip in de oar,
Dip into de water.

Dip in de oar,
Get home to father.

Tip de translator,
He save from the Gator..."

((I have elected to postpone the cultural update to after the update, as I would like it to fit with main political dialogue. I will be sure not have it posted ASAP after the actual update, as to not deny writing time to our authors.))

micpin_done.png

((Private letter @naxhi24 ))

Cher comte de l'Isle Jourdain,

I have taken notice of your service during the incursion into Spain, and more importantly your constant and heroic struggles in the Chamber of Peers to intervene in Spain. Your actions have given you great prestige in the eyes of the King, despite the unfortunate issues you find yourself embroiled in. In the interests of grooming your promising career in the service of His Majesty I wish for you to join the Order of St. Michael the Archangel. This order is an order of Catholic soldiers that are dedicated to increasing the faith and loyalty of the Army. I await your reply.

Le Vicomte de Saint Fulgent, le Ministre de la guerre et Grand maître de l'Ordre de Saint Michel l'Archange

Last edited:
Law of the Holiday of the Martyrdom: Oui

[Doctrinaire]
[Famous Bastard: +1.5 PP]

- Henri Bourbon

Last edited:
While attending a salon, M. de Bourbon, in response to a natural query regarding his known opposition of the proposed holiday, speaks thusly:

"There are several reasons for my present stance; some are personal, some political. However, the foremost reason is simply that, having pursued justice for the martyred King Louis and his Queen for the past decade, the government has achieved very little indeed. No wound previously laid open has been bound because a regicide was prosecuted, nor a parent restored to their child or a husband to their wife due to the pursuit of canonization. No farmer has grown more food or artisan crafted more goods, secure in the knowledge that those men incidental to King Louis XVI's demise are being hounded by the gendarmes or the secret police.

Perhaps ten years ago the nation was sufficiently unsettled that a display of counter-revolutionary vigor was needed to steady the Throne, but that time is long past. In truth, I was a part of the effort by which the state security apparatus was constructed. I can attest that the principal result of such an effort was to strengthen the forces of repression. They inherited a powerful mechanism intended for use in moderation and instead ply it frequently and with vigor. Such efforts aim to steady the ship of state, but even as the boat settles, it sails closer to the storm. So it is with private repression, and so it is with this proposal for a new holiday.

I believe that further commemorating the tragic martyrdom of King Louis XVI and his Queen specifically will serve only to further divide our nation rather than bring it to a common consensus. M. Duval is correct in that the French nation requires a day to commemorate all of those who were lost to revolutionary violence, to show that all of France suffered together, and to bind together our national wounds and raise our national spirits together. We must not devote our time and energy to remembering solely those royals who lost their lives when we could instead be reminded of our collective sacrifice and our joint struggle."

Age Taking Hold
WGa2d4D.png

The gravel below hooves mixed with screams and laughter could be heard off in the background as Condé sat out behind the Château together with Sophia, having just finished lunch as the servants brought cake for desert and Condé enjoyed his wine. The sun was shining down upon them as a violin could be heard slightly behind them, that is when the screams and laughter didn’t overwrite the music.

“So which way do you lean, my love?” Sophia asked as she took a piece of a cake, leaning back in her chair as she looked out over the garden, watching her son ride around.

“Leaning in regards to?” Condé asked as he ordered the servants to bring him some fruit instead, his stomach not entirely fond of cake anymore, or most dairy products for that matter. Something which made his dinners so duller.

“The laws, don’t be silly.” She responded, beginning to eat her piece of cake, mixing it with a good wine. One Condé himself had gone down and found in the cellar.

Condé just sighed, “I shall give the inheritance law my full support. It is about time something is done in that regard, I have argued for it ever since the restoration. As for the rest.” The Prince shrugged. “I don’t even know what they are, and to be honest I don’t care and I haven’t bothered to read it. I want to be done with these intrigues, I am too tired to keep going, I have earned my rest.”

“You have become more tired as of late, you certainly sleep a lot more.” Sophia said with laughter in her voice as Philippe sped past them on his new horse. Ever since Philippe had heard about the thoroughbreds of England and their horse racing, the boy had been obsessed, continuously talking about it without stop and now his father, with the influence of Sophia, had finally bought one from England and brought it here. Philippe now eagerly exhausting the animal. Sophia just clapped as he rode before she spoke up again. “Do you think his Majesty will disapprove of you not giving your outright support?”

Condé just shrugged once more as the servants brought out his grapes, “Then his Majesty can write to me, I am too tired to put up on the old show.” The Prince simply said as he took one of the grapes. Leaning back in his chair as Sophia picked up her book, peaking the Prince’s interest. “What are you reading?”

“Les Arpents Malhureux, it’s about a farmer, I think you may even enjoy it.” Sophia responded as she flipped a page in the book.

“The same author as the book you gave Philippe?” Condé asked her, “The one with the soldier.” The Prince added, making Sophia shake her head and Condé adding. “I don’t get why you have him read that nonsense.” Making her laugh.

“It’s important for a young man to follow the recent trends, you would not want him to be a social outcast, a son of Condé.” She said with a smirk Philippe rose in the saddle and gave full gallop, making Sophia yell at him to slow down, making him come towards them as he did.

The horse, in truth, was too big for Philippe, not that one seemed to notice as he rode. The young boy may not have been the best student, or the brightest child, but on horseback he looked like a natural regardless of the horse, and it showed especially as he rode his new horse, a radiant smile and slightly out of breath as he stopped before his parents. “Thank for, father, its perfect.” He said stroking its mane, relaxing in the saddle, though the boy frowned slightly.

“What is it?” Sophia asked as she looked up from her book.

“Can I give it to Henry?” Philippe asked, looking at his mother.

“But why?” Sophia asked, “Don’t you like it?”

“I do.” Philippe responded, giving a small sigh. “But he gave me the bull, I want to give him a horse in return.”

“But if you give him the horse, then you won’t have one.” Sophia countered.

“Oh.” Philippe simply responded, taking a moment to think before looking over at his father. “Father, can you give Henri a horse?”

Making Condé look up as he sat straight in the chair, “I have given Henri more than he needs, he is able to buy his own horse.” Making Philippe frown again and losing a slight bit of his posture.

“Can I buy Henri a horse?” Philippe then asked with a gleeful smile.

“With what money?” Condé asked his son, making Philippe shrug until Sophia spoke up.

“How about an agreement, if you have read Un Leader d'Un by Friday, I will give you the money for the horse. Agreed?” Sophia asked, looking sternly at her son.

“Agreed.” Philippe responded with a smirk before turning the horse around and continuing riding through the gardens as Sophia continued her book.

--------------------------------------

Indemnification Law: (technically voting yes due to supporting Charles, but Condé has kinda retired, make of that as you wish)
Law of the Holiday of the Martyrdom: (technically voting yes due to supporting Charles, but Condé has kinda retired, make of that as you wish)
Law of the Standardization of Succession: Oui.
Law on the Protection of the Church: (technically voting yes due to supporting Charles, but Condé has kinda retired, make of that as you wish)

[Ultraroyalist]
[The Condé inheritance +2 PP]
Name: Louis Henri Joseph de Bourbon, Prince of Condé

Last edited:
micpin_done.png

((Private letter @naxhi24 ))

Cher comte de l'Isle Jourdain,

I have taken notice of your service during the incursion into Spain, and more importantly your constant and heroic struggles in the Chamber of Peers to intervene in Spain. Your actions have given you great prestige in the eyes of the King, despite the unfortunate issues you find yourself embroiled in. In the interests of grooming your promising career in the service of His Majesty I wish for you to join the Order of St. Michael the Archangel. This order is an order of Catholic soldiers that are dedicated to increasing the faith and loyalty of the Army. I await your reply.

Le Vicomte de Saint Fulgent, le Ministre de la guerre et Grand maître de l'Ordre de Saint Michel l'Archange

To the Vicomte de Saint Fulgent ((@Fingon888))

I humbly accept your offer to join the ranks of one of France's most prestigious military societies. Let us pave the path forward to a new armed forces, one loyal to the crown, and one of good faith.

-Comte de L'Isle Jourdain