• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Settlement of the Claims
(April 1818)

l9LmgaX.jpg
cpIyjpq.png

CONVENTION between His Most Christian Majesty, Louis XVIII, King of France and Navarre; and the European Alliance, whose ratifications were exchanged at Paris on 15 April 1818.

His Most Christian Majesty, Louis XVIII, King of France and Navarre, and the European Alliance, being animated to consolidate the peace and harmony which exists between them, and to extend the dividends of the aforesaid peace to their subjects, have resolved to promote such remedies as shall speedily restore the economic welfare of both kingdoms. Consequently, His Most Christian Majesty the King of France and of Navarre appointed as his Plenipotentiary, His Excellency, Monsieur Séverin Maximilien, Marquis de Valence, Peer of France, his Minister of Foreign Affairs; and the Alliance the Field Marshal His Grace Arthur Wellesley, Duke of Wellington, their Commander of the Army of Occupation; who have concurred upon the following provisions:

Article I.
The Conventions denominated as VII. and XIII., annexed to the Definitive Treaty between Great Britain, Austria, Prussia, Russia and France, signed at Paris on 20th November 1815, shall be superseded and suspended by the effect of this Convention.

Article II.
In order to provide for the outstanding claims made against France under the aforesaid conventions, His Most Christian Majesty shall make available to the Alliance a capital sum of 240,000,000 francs, and shall inscribe 12,040,000 rentes of francs in the Great Book of France.

Article III.
The Alliance shall establish a commission of four persons (hereafter “the commission”) with purview over claims settlement and liquidation, of which there shall be one representative of each State, appointed respectively by His Imperial Majesty, Alexander I, Emperor and Autocrat of All Russia; His Imperial and Royal Apostolic Majesty, Francis I, Emperor of Austria; His Majesty, Friederich Wilhelm III, King of Prussia; and His Britannic Majesty, George III, King of Great Britain and Ireland.

Article IV.
The commission shall assay all claims and render final judgement with all possible swiftness and alacrity.

In witness whereof the respective Plenipotentiaries have signed the present Convention and have thereto affixed the seal of their State. Done at Paris, 18 April 1818.

Signed,

[X] The DUKE OF WELLINGTON.
[X] The MARQUIS DE VALENCE.

--
Congress forthcoming.

((@Noco19 Secret))

Greetings duc Piombino,

I am sorry for the the amount of time which with it has taken me to respond to your kind letter. I have been taken ill for several weeks and have only recently been able to fully recover, I thank you for your patience. I too feel lighter now that the forces of the Verdets and their Ultra masters have been put back on a chain. The causes of liberalism, freedom, brotherhood and equality must continue their forward march against those of authoritarian and unjust rule. As a part of this cause which I have made my life's work out of I would be well and truly pleased to join your fraternity if you'd still have me. An order dedicated to order and enshrined in honorable values may do much to help heal this country. I eagerly await your response.

-Jean Lamarque

THE CONGRESS OF AIX-LA-CHAPELLE
(September - November 1818)

The Sovereigns and Princes of Europe have made procession to Aaachen, where the immediate difficulties of Europe are to be addressed. The most pressing question is that of the occupation of France and the inclusion of that nation into the Concert of Europe. The informal meeting, on September 30th, at the residence of Metternich, shall determine the mood of the European powers for withdrawal from France.

Rossiyskaya Imperiya

HacdBQu.png

By the Grace of God, His Imperial Majesty Alexander I, Emperor and Selfruler of All the Russias

QAD2AHP.jpg

His Excellency Count Ioannis Antonios Kapodistrias (left)
His Excellency, Count Karl Robert Nesselrode (right)

Qji2c3t.jpg
08wHFkn.jpg

Aims:
  • The formulation of a system of international congresses, and among other things, to confirm a special instrument the validity of the quadruple alliance against France, and that these meetings should not abrogate legal principles.
  • To create an alliance including all the participants of the Vienna treaties, which would guarantee the sovereignty and preservation of the incumbent governments.
  • Defense of the Holy Alliance, not the Treaty of Paris, as the source of authorization of the Congresses.
  • The creation of an international army, lead by Russia, as the vanguard against further insurrection.

Königreich Preußen

waUBkSF.png

By the Grace of God, His Majesty, Friedrich Wilhelm III, King of Prussia (left)
His Excellency, Prince Karl August Fürst von Hardenberg, Prime Minister of Prussia (right)

7d5frSs.jpg
3T9ta4O.jpg

• Aims:
    • Preservation of the Quadruple Alliance
    • Motion to anti-Russian intrigues with Austria and Britain
    • Resolution of the Baden Succession
Kaisertum Österreich

XponWdD.png

By the Grace of God, His Imperial and Royal Apostolic Majesty, Francis II, Emperor of Austria, etc. (left)
His Excellency, Klemens Wenzel Nepomuk Lothar, Prince von Metternich-Winneburg zu Beilstein, etc. (right)

uxW4U6I.jpg
yNmRPto.jpg

Aims:
  • Speedy termination of the occupation of France.
  • Inclusion of France into a new alliance.
  • Resolution of the Baden Succession
  • Simultaneous maintenance of the former alliance casus foederis et belli

United Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland
fYiWLzy.png

The Right Honourable Robert Stewart, Viscount Castlereagh, Secretary of State of Foreign Affairs (left)
FIELD MARSHAL His Grace Arthur Wellesley, Duke of Wellington (right)

vCRc6OB.jpg
cpIyjpq.png
Aims:
  • Inclusion of terms on the abolition of the slave trade.
  • Containment of Russian power.
  • Procurement of league against the Barbary States (recognition of British naval supremacy).
-
@Syriana you can make your case and we will proceed to the affairs of September 30th.

(( Private - @Eid3r ))

240px-Cross-Crosslet-Heraldry.svg.png

Grand Maître de l'Ordre de Varennes
Ordre de Louis XVI 'de Saint'

Votre Excellence,

I am most grateful for your words: to hear a man of the cloth, one as pious as you, extol on the virtues and sanctity of His Blessed Majesty Louis XVI is a most heartwarming occurrence, one that will no doubt inspire my fellow compatriots both within and without the Order.

Although I had intended a visit to my estates, I shall gladly delay such a travel to meet with you: I look forward to it, and the work that we can do together, pour le Roi et le Pays.

Bien amicalement,
BR82WQG.png

---

(( Private - @Syriana ))

240px-Cross-Crosslet-Heraldry.svg.png

Grand Maître de l'Ordre de Varennes
Ordre de Louis XVI 'de Saint'

Monsieur le Ministre,

I, on behalf of the Order, gladly welcome you into its ranks: your credentials withstanding, your noted reputation as a loyal servant of the King, and a noble defender of the Kingdom of France precede you. Truly, the Order is honored to now count you among its ranks.

It is my firm belief that together we can push forward the case of the sanctity of His Blessed Majesty Louis XVI, and ensure that the legacy he dreamed for the Kingdom of France will become a reality.

Bien amicalement,
BR82WQG.png

Electoral Law: Oui
Reform and Stability Act: Non

[Ultraroyaliste]
[No Bonus]

Reform and Stability Act: S'abstenir

[Peer and Colonel]
[Independent]
[No Bonus]

-Colonel Nathanaël Barrande, Comte de L'Isle Jourdain

Electoral Law: Non
Reform and Stability Act : Oui

[Bishop of Montauban, Deputy of the Gers]
[Ultraroyaliste]
[Artois' sins, +1PP]

Chambre des Députés, Paris

“Monsieur le Président,

At last, we are now called upon voting for the Electoral Reform Act, and most imprudent measure brought forward by our otherwise esteemed colleague the Deputy for Nord and Minister of the Interior. I shall first congratulate the Minister for his industry, he has, unlike other members of his Government, actually deigned show his face and articulate a good measure of arguments in favour of his proposed reform.

The subject has been debated in this assembly, but alas, it would appear that the Government fell asleep during the process, for a compromis salutaire was being crafted among royalists during those very debates.

Indeed, while the extension of the franchise has not been much questioned, the method for the vote has been subject to much debate. In its current form, the present bill will be burdensome to many estate owners and to the lower nobility, which will be called upon to travel to their departmental capital to cast their vote, despite the low quality of the road and the sometimes long distances. Only in my Department of the Gers, voters from Riscle will have to trek close to 14 leagues of hilly terrain to cast their votes.

I will concede to the Government that they might quite simply not be acquainted with the reality of the management of farms and estates. Had they been more experienced in the matter, they would have known that you cannot leave the said estates unattended for long, or not at all during the harvest. Why force them to such a long distance, for the only purpose of having all the voters in one place?

If the Government truly had an objective of expanding the franchise equally, by not making it harder for some constituencies to vote than for others, let us say, the merchant bourgeoisie who generally lives and thrives in the departmental chef-lieu, it would have for sure seized the occasion that we presented them by asking for a mechanism of voting by procuration to be added to the bill, which would have overcome the obstacles I have mentioned earlier. It would have also covered their legislation with the aegis of a wide support across the ideologies represented in this Chamber, thus setting forth a tradition of wide consensus for reforms to the electoral system.

Sadly, it appears that this Doctrinaire Government has been blinded by its own partisan interests into favoring its bourgeois allies to the detriment of the nobility and the ruralité of the Kingdom. It is therefore with heavy heart that I will cast my vote against this bill.”

"M.President.

First Deputy of Gers I have to correct you. His Excellency the Minister of Interior are to addressed as "his Excellency" as that is the custom for those who have a ministerial position. I'm just saying this as a reminder in case got carried on discussing the future and prosperity of our nation.

Now for your alleged compromis salutaire I can only remember you proposing it. Yes I did agree it on, however it was under the understanding that such a compromise might be reached if we otherwise did not achieve the necessairy consent among the Deputies in this chamber and the Peers in the other chamber. As far as I'm concerned none raised issue on this nor did they support your amendments. I saw neither any mention of this in any editorial, essay or chronique. I believe therefore that there was no such compromise in place. If that is because it is generally consent in the two Legaslative Chambers on this matter or if the opponents are opposed to the Reform in itself reamain to be seen.

For the travel time, yes that may be unfortunate for the individual. But all who can vote are obviously men of great resources. We have resources enough to plan ahead in due time. The
reform itself make the election process more effective and secure, and outweight potential issues some few individuals may face.

For your argument that the Government are not familiar with managing with estates, I say look at the merits of each of the Excellencies and his Most Christian King Louis the Desired and you will see that is wrong. I am also sure that the various managers of estates and farms are familiar with planning ahead and delegating power.. That is not a new phenomena to them, and if it is then they have an overall managment issue that is deeper than potential minor issues from the election reform.

So I believe your arguments may be well placed, but all voters of this nation are men of resources and are thus capable of planning ahead and delegating work.. So I hope the other esteemed and honorable Deputies of this Chamber share my opinion and vote for a much needed reform for France and our King and not pass it up for non existing issues.

Thank you that would be all".

Last edited:
To His Serene Highness the Prince of Condé ((@Sneakyflaps))

General sir.

In my recent travels through the outskirts of France, I have seen the devastating effect the famine has had on people in the region. The military, with all its resources at hand, would be wise to help alleviate the hunger the people are experiencing. I humbly ask that our division be used for relief efforts. It will help ease the hunger among the people and help boast the image of the Royal Army.

-Colonel Nathanaël Barrande, Comte de L'Isle Jourdain

Chambre des Députés, Paris

“Monsieur le Président,

I must say that I am nonplussed by the etiquette lesson from my esteemed colleague the Deputy of the Seine. If one is to insist on such formalities, one might wish to remove the straw from his eye and address a Bishop of our Holy Mother Church by the proper term, which is Monseigneur. But let us denote how quickly the good deputy for the Seine jumps to the defense of the Minister of the Interior. I am quite sure that such devotion shall be repaid in kinds by the largesse of our esteemed friend the Deputy of Nord.

As for the remarks of our esteemed colleague from the Seine, I will most likely learn to read the fine prints threaded through his honeyed words. Quite so indeed, any compromise to be discussed would only be enacted shall the end of the world be upon us, for obviously, he prefers to revel in the comfort of the majority. Shall our dear friend be more experienced in the world, he would certainly know that majorities are frail and fickle things, which come and go. To sacrifice one’s parole over this is the apex of foolishness. However, our colleague might rest assured that when next time comes, I shall be certain to commit words to an article in the feuille de chou he likes to call a newspaper, a format that seems more appropriate to hold him to his duties than his formal word, bespoken by himself.

It is a relief to know that, all across the Kingdom, the good voters will have the kind words of the Deputy of the Seine to meditate upon their journey to the Electoral College. “Unfortunate” he calls their plight. ”Potential issues some few individuals may face” he calls their hardship. Unfortunate indeed for the good deputy, which seems to forget, Monsieur le Président, that kindness and compassion are our Christian obligations. But what to expect from someone beholden to the bourgeois milieu of Paris? One might wonder.

As to the management of estates and farms, I will conclude by this very simple wisdom. Before thinking of changing how the fields are plowed, and which crops should best be planted, one must feed the laborer. A maxim, this Government and the Deputy of the Seine, has forgotten.”

"M.President,

Perhaps but you are now in the role as a Deputy and not a Bishop. Even then, there are formalities to be adressed. I meant it as a friendly reminder, but you can take it as offense if you wish to.

Take my experience for what you wish to. But I take it for what it is, and that is as simple that your amendment were not considered by any in the government. And beside from myself there were none who wished to implement your proposal - let them be Ultra, Doctrinaire or Liberal. It is on that ground I find the claim of a compromise on your behalf non fitting. As no compromise were striken. Furthermore I am not part of the government and can't accept a compromise or not for a bill that was proposed by his Excellency the Minister of the Interior.. It's not up to me to rely on the "comfort of majority" since I am not the one to actually implement it, I am just part of it per say. So I therefore find your remarks unfound.

Now you might do whatever you want to in a paper, but I fail to see how it is relevant here. I'm not the government, but I support their proposals as for now for a more stable government - which the people of France need - and to reform our economy to get out of the crisis and help our starving population. Again you can critisize me however you like, but I fail to see how it is relevant at all. Interesting enough I seem to be the only one in the Chamber to have actually vocally supported both of the Deputy of Gers's proposals, I again fail to see what I have done wrong.

And for the other remarks the Deputy of Gers have on me, I don't believe we should debate the moral character of Deputies here. We have more important things to handle such as the famine than to debate whether or not I am a good Christian. And I should also remark that we are guaranteed by the Charter to have religious freedom, so I see it as even more irrelevant. And even if we look away from the Charter, I find it irrelevan to discuss how I implement my Christian obligations or not in the Chamber of Deputies. This is not my confessional booth, but a Chamber of where we discuss and form the future of France and not my personal morals! That is more fitting to other arenas.

And the laborer can be fed even if the owner is out of town. I have not forgotten anything, but I believe a rich landowner are capable of planning ahead to vote for a fixed election day. And if he is capable of running a estate with its many employees and logistics he is capable of planning ahead. There is elections at 5 years intervals as said in the Charter. And if the Chamber of Deputies are dissolved before that he will still be able to get plenty of notification to plan ahead. I hope that the other Deputies can see this. And I hope that the other Deputies can see that my moral character and articles in newspapers are irrelevant. I wish we can all come together and end the famine and instability of our great motherland and the Kingdom of France and Naverre. Let us not go into petty feuds deputy between deputy while our people are starving!

Thank you M.President, that would be all".

Lothaire sat down and spoke with the man beside him and both lightly shaked their heads and laughed softly. They would continue to discuss what they had previously discussed, namely the situation in the Italian peninsula.

Reform and Stability Act: Oui

[Colonel; Bastard]
[Doctrinaire]
[No Bonus]

A letter arrives at the desk of Henri de Bourbon
Monsieur de Bourbon,

I apologize dearly for not replying to you earlier; I have been busy with matters of both trying to organise the estate left to me by my father and with the affairs revolving recently around the military. I never wish to speak ill about the fine Officer of the King’s military but some of them may need to re-evaluate the true purpose of this army. But I shall not bother you with such petty affairs any more.

I am pleased to report that in precisely a fortnight from the date on this letter I will be able to make a visit to Paris. I would be tremendously happy if you could honour me with a meeting. I have heard great praise of your person from the Duc de Piombino, who suggests that it would be apt for me to accompany you to a meeting of this finest society.

Please let me know if this is a possibility,

I look forward to any meeting with you, and perhaps, with Madam Destiny.
Jean Paul de Saint-Germain

Reform and Stability Act: Abstention

[Maréchal and Peer of France]
[None]
[No Bonus]