• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
A letter is sent. ((@Michaelangelo ))

Friend,

Regarding our last correspondence I have been in touch with the regional governments and militaries of Alta California and Santa-Fe Nuevo México mentioning possibility of imports from the Rohan-Descombes Manufacturing Company (RDMC).

We have agreed upon a preliminary draft where the Mexicans import your arms and one of the subsidiary shipping companies of the Lécuyer Company.

The British are to make our ships pass through, as we are supplying their good allies in war and you're not docking in American ports. The lawyers and executives home in France have been notified of the specifics and they'll reach out to you

On a more friendly tone please give my love to Daphnée and Henri, I look forward to see them again. This country is full of natural and cultural riches, it's a shame it's wrecked by war.

Sincerely,

Jérôme de Lécuyer.

A legitimist publication in Angers (Le Courrier de Angers), the seat of Charlus' home prefecture of Maine-et-Loire, mentions and endorses some of the local candidates.

Le Courrier de Angers
M. le Marquis de Civrac, M. Gustave Bucher de Chauvigné, and M. le Comte de Quatrebarbes were today received by Monsiegnor Guillaume Angebault, the Bishop of Angers. Monsiegnor gave his thanks to M. de Civrac and M. de Chauvigné for their forthright support of the education laws, and offered M. de Quatrebarbes, not yet elected to the lower chamber, his earnest wishes in the upcoming contest. A charitable donation was supplied by the allied candidates to the local parishes, and many came out to receive to the potential deputies, recently endorsed by M. le Comte de Falloux. M. Victor Gain, a counselor of the Angers Court of Appeal, and former deputy, parted with a few words of wisdom to the candidates. The entire affair was completed with the speech of M. Augustin Giraud, our estimable mayor, who expressed his hope that these excellent candidates would safeguard the prosperity of the town, and to this query, the candidates re-affirmed their fidelity to Angers and the department.

RauADnP.png

jtDtHBh.png
3xM7NXr.png

The engagement is announced between Prince Louis-Alphonse Edmond de Chalançon-Polignac, son of the Prince and Princess de Polignac, and Lady Amélie Marie Louise de Berton de Balbes de Crillon, daughter of the Count and Countess de Crillon.

Published abroad in The Times and the Telegraph

Just finished work on Friday, so I'll be sorta around for the weekend, but probably not so active until Monday, once I've recharged my batteries.

To the Prince de Polignac ((@m.equitum))

Monsieur le Prince,

It greatly distresses me to know of the injustices that were performed on the name of the British Royal Navy, in the impounding of the legitimate civilian cargo your company was transporting to the United States. As the Minister for Trade, it preoccupies me greatly not only as a fait accompli, but to what it may amount for our future trading relations, and for the protection of the rights of French companies and individuals abroad. A reading of the manifesto your highness has provided us has stated your case as legitimate and desiring of compensation, which shall be arranged briefly. As much as the former advice of this ministry set forth a policy of non-interference, the unfavourable response by the Palmerston government has lead us to change this stance in a particular case such as your own.

However, your highness, I must, as minister and also as one of your acquaintances, warn to the situation of danger that has arose involving the British blockade, and suggest that the routes of the Messageries Matitimes be adjusted so as to prevent further issues. Rest assured, monsieur, that the government watches this situation unfold carefully, and is considering whichever options that shall preserver the integrity of Frenchmen and their freedom.

I remain, your obedient servant,
Jean-Paul Henry Lièvremont
Minister of State for Agriculture and Trade

To Baron Descombes ((@naxhi24))

Monsieur Descombes,

After careful consideration by the ministry concerning your request for the contracts in Algeria, I am glad to announce to you that they shall be successfully granted. The opportunities that the natural resources in Algeria give our economy have not been unnoticed by the ministry, which could be well noticeable by our incentives to Algerian cotton. The matter of raw materials, then, should be taken without underappreciation. I have met and conferred with many of the Occitanian firms which intend to expand into Algeria - not a hard thing to do, considering my own Occitanian roots - and can vouch for their loyalty to France, personal character and competency in business. They are to be considered the favoured partners of this government, following the principles we have always supported. Of course, their activities in Algeria shall fall under the full purveyance of standing legality, and the Ministry shal oversee the fulfillment of contracts strongly; however, no doubts remain in my mind this decision is done for the good of the French economy, and put in the responsibility of trusted men. I thank you for discussing the matter directly with myself, and remain open to any further cooperations with the private sector which should strengthen France's position as a modern nation.

I remain, your obedient servant,
Jean-Paul Henry Lièvremont
Minister of State for Agriculture and Trade

32gHDnT.png

To George Horatio Cholmondeley, Marquess of Cholmondeley
(@99KingHigh )

GhAvfdG.png

The Marquess of Cholmondeley and Earl of Rocksavage
MY DEAR SAVAGE -- Although it has been some time since I last had occasion to travel to England, the country no doubt holds a fond place in my heart, a place made all the fonder by your friendship and hospitality. Knowing that you will have read in the papers that I am engaged to be married, I hope in the not too distant future to visit Houghton Hall, and to have the particular honour of paying such a visit in the company of a certain Princess de Polignac.

You may also have read in the papers of the actions taken by the Royal Navy in the imposition of its blockade of the United States of America -- to wit, the seizing of foreign merchandise destined for American ports.

The implementation of this blockade, in contravention of all maritime convention, has proven to be nothing short of theft. I have no qualms in using such honest and straightforward terms with you, dear friend, in articulating my deep reservations with the policies of Lord Palmerston as they relate to neutral commerce with the Americas.

Perhaps it is terribly old-fashioned to adhere to such norms, which have long regulated affairs at sea, and to rely upon good and honest men to abide by the terms which have always been understood to apply to neutral shipping, even in moments of the greatest stresses of war.

That the Royal Navy, indeed, a force which so definitively embodies the very soul of Great Britain, should be engaged in such theft and confiscation strikes me as distinctly “un-English.” As your brother, Billy, often remarked: “That’s not cricket.”

If in some capacity you may emphasize to Lord Palmerston the injustice of his policies, and convey to him the great concern they have caused -- concern which, I fear, if left unalleviated, may break internationally into the most pronounced anti-British sentiments -- it would be most appreciated. Of course, I ask only in the most genial terms, and trust ever to enjoy your abiding friendship.

VhwirFs.png

32gHDnT.png

To William Cavendish, Duke of Devonshire
(@99KingHigh )

bpFZDpq.png

The Duke of Devonshire

SIR -- Our dear and mutual friend, the Viscount of Bessin, [who, when he had last occasion to visit you at Chatsworth, was then simply Monsieur Merivée] has appended to a state of friendship a most pleasant condition of becoming a family relation. You will doubtless have read of the marriage between my brother and Bessin’s lovely daughter, which I hope will be blessed with children.

You will also have read, I trust, in the most recent publication of The Times of my own engagement to be wed to the Lady de Crillon. She hails, as you known, from a family of martial virtue and high esteem, having earned their stripes, as the English expression goes, during the Wars of Religion. Although, in some circles, it seems be falling out of fashion to make marriage arrangements on the basis of one’s heritage, I am pleased to learn that the soon-to-be Princess de Polignac is also a lady of notable skill and mental acumen as well as one of sweetness and courtly grace.

Indeed, everywhere things are changing. Can you believe that at the French Royal Court the noblemen are no longer clad in ermine, preferring instead the simple dress of the bourgeois morning coat? What’s next, one wonders. I suppose in England too the customs of yester-year are quickly fading. It is sad, I must confess, to see them go.

No doubt, so great a breach of custom has been exacted by that very figure, the Lord Palmerston. A figure who ought be held, at home and abroad, in high regard, but by his sudden and peculiar policy with respect to the American blockade, has become the focus of much concern.

Having traced his career in politics with some interest, it could be said that Palmerston is an honourable man, in much the manner that Marc Anthony referred to Brutus by the employment of such a term. In the use of the English language, as Shakespeare was creative, Palmerston is wanton. His redefinition of the term “contraband” -- which now, I am given to understand, encompasses all manner of goods -- has caused such havoc with international commerce and has earned for Palmerston such indignation amongst the mercantile firms abroad that it cannot be long, if such a state of affairs remains, that the resentment harboured towards the policies of Palmerston will be reflected in broader international anti-British sentiments.

With this in mind, I wish to impress upon you, as a friend, the prospect of having a quiet word with the Lord Palmerston. While it may not shift his mind, it may nonetheless alert him to the extent of the potential repercussions of the continuance of the recently enacted policies, and may give him some pause to reconsider their extent and application.

VhwirFs.png

32gHDnT.png

To the Vicomte de Bessin
(@DensleyBlair )

MONSIEUR LE VICOMTE -- I am pleased to understand by means of your letter that the French Foreign Ministry is seized with the matter of the aberrant policy adopted by the British Government with respect to neutral seaborne commerce in times of war.

The diplomatic steps taken by the Comte de Charlus offer hope to rectify the situation. However, it may be necessary to consider some expeditious form of relief in the interim, while a more substantive resolution is pursued through diplomatic channels.

The confiscations of private property by the Royal Navy, widely-regarded as illegal by any mercantile convention, though having an effect on firms engaged in maritime commerce, most gravely impacts those small consignors – that is, the owners of the seized property aboard the vessels – who are unable to collect payment for their goods and, being deprived of their property, are unable to attempt again to sell it.

As no maritime insurance guards against the seizure of goods by a foreign power, [particularly in the context of the sudden and unusual application of the term “contraband” to what are clearly innocuous items], these small consignors [often hailing from the new middling class which has arisen in Paris and Marseilles] face significant losses and are placed in financial distress.

That their ire should be directed at the British Government is quite understandable; their protest, as the injured party, would doubtless find sympathy amongst the broader population, which may not appreciate the subtleties of the French diplomatic position and instead decry what is, in effect, theft at sea.

These consignors in particular are not likely inclined to wait for the diplomatic corps to reach some tenuous agreement with Whitehall on the matter of seized property. Indeed, were a man robbed in the high street, it would not be unreasonable for him to shout out in alarm, seeking succour where he can or lashing out as he may, rather than wishing and waiting that a policeman may pass by.

To provide assistance to these consignors, it may be advised that the French Government provides financial compensation to shipping firms, for losses incurred, with the indemnity disbursed to consignors as per bills of lading. The French State would then recover expenditure subsequent to terms negotiated with, indeed, our friend in Number 10.

I await your reply, and remain keenly interested in this pressing matter.

VhwirFs.png

Monsieur le Prince,

It is quite correct that the government should examine the cause of the small consignors, who having risked in good faith the perils of the blockade in the shipment of innocuous goods have been met only by a zeal and a harshness, on the part of the Royal Navy, unbecoming of the application of such nuanced policy.

Until such time that we have been able to reach an agreement of indemnity with the British, His Manesty's government ought certainly to pursue the matter of insuring those consignors who have been injured, and I give you my full assurance, Monsieur, that should I remain in a position to do so following the conclusion of the coming election, I shall direct the attention of the Council of State to the issue at the earliest convenience.

In this matter, as elsewhere, I remain your friend and servant.

En amitié,

Bessin

To William Cavendish, Duke of Devonshire
(( @99KingHigh ))

Battlefor_Troy_Berlioz_To_Clg113.jpg

Sir,

I write to you having learnt, after some delay, of the most unfortunate news of your the death of your cousin, the late seventh duke of Devonshire, in January of this year. That I have come to the knowledge of this sad occasion only now, some months later, gives me great cause for sorrow—if only that I might have paid my respects sooner. I hope it might comfort you to hear, Sir, of the highest regard in which I held the late duke as a friend, and I can only offer you my deepest and most sincere condolences as you and your dear wife deal with this most lamentable loss.

If you will permit me, Sir, some brief recollection of my own memory of the late duke, chief among our happy history as friends I valued most dearly his abiding generosity, of which I was the beneficiary on numerous occasions at Chatsworth. Indeed, I have Harty to thank for the facilitation of the nuptials between my son, the Baron of the Bessin, and your cousin, the former Miss Julianna Hope. I regret profoundly that the late duke was never able to meet the children of this happy union, whose memory I shall treasure henceforth as part of his great legacy.

It has been too long since I have been in England, and while—insofar as I am preoccupied by matters of state—I do not anticipate to be at liberty to travel in the near future, it is my great hope that when such time arrives that I am able to make the trip, I should pay a visit to Chatsworth. If you would have me, Sir, I should be most happy to renew our own acquaintance, first made all too briefly some years ago.

With abiding regard for yourself and your family, I remain your servant,

Esmé Merivée
Viscount of the Bessin

32gHDnT.png

To Jean-Paul Henry Lièvremont
(@Lyonessian )
MONSIEUR -- Appreciating the advice contained in your letter with respect to the enduring perils of the British blockade of American ports, notice will be issued forthwith to re-direct vessels of the Messageries Maritimes destined for the United States to safe haven elsewhere.

I add to this letter two other matters relating to commerce, which I bring to you attention in your capacity as the responsible minister:

First, recognizing that the British blockade has not only been disruptive to French commerce, but has caused profound displacement in the textile industry [particularly in Normandy, where our good friend, the Vicomte de Bessin, prior to his elevation to the peerage, once held his parliamentary seat as the Monsieur Merivée] I have written to a dear friend, Mohamed Sai’id Pasha, with plans to import Egyptian cotton, in the hope of providing some relief to the filatures de coton of France.

Second, I have received from the Baron Descombes an offer to engage some vessels of the Messageries Maritimes in the transport of ore from Algeria to the French mainland. I am given to understand, from the Baron, that such a course would provide considerable opportunities to the people of beloved Occitania -- a place for which, I am sure, both you and I share great affection. I am inclined to accept the offer put forward by the Baron Descombes, provided that the Ministry of Agriculture and Trade is agreed with such a course.

VhwirFs.png

Monsieur le Comte,

I have received your report dated — and thank you for your efforts and your candour. I am encouraged by the news that you have opened negotiations with Lord Clarendon, and have conveyed as much to certain representatives of the shipping interest who have expressed to me their great alarm at the shift in British policy with regard to the blockade. While our optimism must of course be tempered by the need to uphold at all times a certain delicacy in this engagement, one must hope that the British will be receptive to our entreaties, having demonstrated to them our willingness to conform otherwise to the terms of the blockade in good faith.

In the meantime, in consultation with M. Lièvremont, I shall update the advice issued by the government to those engaged in Transatlantic shipping, to make clear the present reality; that, until such time that an accommodation is reached with the British, or else the conflict is resolved, the transit of goods by French vessels is endangered and liable.

With continued faith in your representation of the interests of France, Monsieur, I shall await your next dispatch.

Cordially, I remain,

le vicomte du Bessin

Letter to the Foreign Minister on English Affairs
@DensleyBlair

X4mtCUg.jpg

Monsieur le Vicomte,

After some difficult weeks of negotiation with Lord Clarendon and Lord Palmerston, I am pleased to report the outcome of preliminary resolutions. Lord Clarendon is uninterested in aggravating French opinion—a disposition that has never cautioned Lord Palmerston—and has decided upon several conditions that he hopes will assuage our anxieties.

I have conceded to Lord Clarendon that in the current confusion in the Atlantic it is an impossibility to expect the continued commerce of the United States and France; this is a reality conceded, but not demanded de jure. We can have no absolute confidence that our merchandise will be allowed to flow unmolested to American ports.

However, Lord Clarendon has convinced Lord Palmerston that on the matter of contraband, no goods of a civilian content will be apprehended. But this concession is matched by the equal determination of the Royal Navy to send any ship, even if it is carrying products of a purely commercial content, back to French ports, according to an arbitrary rule. Therefore we have ended the issue of non-contraband confiscation, but our private merchants may have to content themselves with practical isolation from the American trade until the war is completed.

Lord Clarendon assures me that compensation will be granted, but it is my opinion that reimbursements will have to wait until the establishment of peace. I think you would agree that Parliament is in no mood to contemplate remunerative measures in the midst of a struggle. And I do not think it wise to impress the issue beyond the definitive concession that there will be compensations when the time is ripe.

I beg you pass news of these concessions to the chambers, and supply me with further instructions.

Your Loyal Servant,
Charlus

From the Mexican diary of Jérôme, Santa Fe de Nuevo México.

Here I was sitting in the garden of the local military commander in the capital of New Mexico. I had believed the capital of what was supposed to be new gold rich Aztec lands to be more impressive. As with my general perception of Mexico it was a delusion. There was but a few huts and no real city center, at least from what we have back home in France, and from what I saw along the cities of New England for that sake. Still the garden of the commander was nice enough, having ample shadow, plants and drinks. It was but a remote town, not a splendid capital that I first believed, for whatever reason. There is nothing but barren lands here, great mountains or wild deserts. The people are poor, and I can't imagine how anyone can make for a living in these parts. But somehow they do, by selling grass and what-not. It is the hardship these Mexcians have suffered, I believe, that will make them prevail against this foreign threat. That and of course help from the British Empire.

Santa_Fe_1846.jpg

With the commander we discussed the military situation. No doubt the Americans coveted New Mexico, perhaps not for its resources but for its position. The Spaniards had believed to find another Eldorado here in New Mexico, hence its naming, as in Mexico, with cities of gold and great riches. Instead they found nothing but great riches. Remind me of our very own conquest of Algeria, believing it to bring us great riches. Instead bringing war and futile expeditions. Still the Spanish did not waver from their mission to spread Christendom to this wild land, as we did in Algeria, and if the Mexicans are given the chance I am sure they will spread civiliation and the one true faith to these Indian tribes. But I digress.

As of now the Americans had made no major move into New Mexico, however they needed it to enter the Californias. The Californias was perhaps, along with the Oregon Country, the main goal of the Americans. To fulfill their Manifest Destiny, to open up to the west into the Pacific, and naturally the gold in Californias along with its natural ports is a territory that is to be coveted indeed. This New Mexico can be described as a bump in the road, a wild country one need to cross to enter the true Eldorado.

William-becknell.jpg

The Americans had already put up considerable efforts in the region, such as the Santa Fe Trail. From Tejas they had launched a failed expedition prior to the war, this at the very least put up high hopes for continued Mexican resistance to the American invaders. With the Santa Fe Trail, established by the Americans in 1821, they could get unhindered communications with Tejas, both for trade and military purposes. New Mexico was, at least from my understanding, vital to the war in the West and in Tejas. To open up new fronts into the Californias and into Tejas the Americans needed to take on New Mexico, which again could be used for raids or worse into "old" Mexico.

While we sipped liquor from cacti and beer from corn (American style corn, the Mexicans even had several other meals made out of this strange yellow, and tasty, type of corn) and the heat almost killed me we discussed my role in all of this. I had noticed that the army units in New Mexico had old Spanish weaponary from the 18th Century. This deeply concerned me. We dwelled further into politics, and after several drinks the commander admitted that New Mexico was indeed a place with little central authority and care, and that in fact many did not feel loyalty to their homeland. Such news were concerning, to say it at the least, to the overall morale of the troops. Lacking in both morale, communcations and modern arms I failed to grasp on how they could prevail against their American adversaries. At least I got to see the governor later on, and we crafted out a deal for imports from France, specifically the Rohan-Descombes Manufactory, and one of my families shipping companies would ship it over. Hopefully this would lead to some new and better arms for the battered New Mexican troops, and some gold to my family company. The specifics of the deal and shipment were left open to the Company back home and the Mexicans here.

6dc115bab66edae89b003e66ee24e830--coronel-maximilian.jpg

Here I recieved my officer uniform and was now a Coronel and a Jefe which basically means "boss". I liked the sound of that. I must say I missed my sombrero and local colorful attire, however I suppose I can take it on, on other occasion. As of now I am enrolled into the service of the Mexican Empire and must look the part. The uniform itself was fine enough, however I must admit I did not feel the same pride as when I took the French uniform on me for the first time. My chest almost bursted from pride and a sense of patriotic duty, now it just felt as if I had another uniform on me. I spent a few days in Santa Fe, recovering from the long journey, setting myself into the situation and even went for a hunting trip or two. Here I was toured around the city and the landscape, I took my time to scout ahead terrain and eventual battlegrounds, and even got some time for myself. Here I started to barely look into the accounts of the war between the Americans and the British in 1812, and started to make notes. Military history had always fascinated me, and I was prepared to write a little about the second American attempt to seize Quebec. Naturally inspired by current events.

I recieved new orders. I said my goodbyes to the men that had escorted me all the way from Tampico to here. It was strangely difficult to part ways with them, our days in the wilderness had forged a bond, a bond that was now swept away from us. I was to be sent to the Californias, specifically Alta California to train Mexican troops there and advise officers and staff members. I said my goodbyes to this godforsaken and barren land and set out for California, hopeful for new adventures.

((Private - @naxhi24))

My dear friend and business partner,

The outbreak of war in the Americas and the expansion of the French army and navy has provided us with ample business opportunities. While our current factories will be able to bring in plenty of profits during such a time, I do not believe we should just sit around and count our coins. We should be considering the expansion of our operations.

While the production of farming implements is a reliable industry and the production of firearms is profitable enough, I believe we should consider branching out into new areas to ensure our business is less harmed by the fluctuations of the markets. It would not do to dedicate production to one item and then see sales plummet and drive us out of business. My recommendation is that we construct an artillery factory. While requiring larger operations than for firearms, I believe it will prove just as profitable and perhaps garner less competition than just focusing on guns. I shall wait to see your opinion on this decision before going ahead with anything.

I have recently taken a tour of our facilities in Alsace, as well as scoped out potential places to open new factories. In my tour, I came across a golden opportunity. The aptly named Château des Rohan in Saverne could well suit our needs. The original building inhabited by my distant relatives burned down in 1779, with the current one having been constructed between 1780 and 1790. However, the outbreak of the French Revolution halted construction, leaving only the exterior completed and the inside a mostly empty shell. It has served various functions over the decades, but has never been properly restored. In such a condition, it could more easily be converted into a factory and likely cost less than constructing one from scratch.

Besides the building itself, the location is also ideal. It is located relatively close to our other operations in Alsace. The town of Saverne, while relatively small, could still supply the needed workers or leave room for others to move in. Likely a factory built in the town would become the main source of income for most residents and greatly improve the fortunes of the town. To add to that, the Marne-Rhine Canal has recently been extended right past the Château des Rohan, providing us with easy transport for any goods we produce.

If we are to consider such a building to make use of for a factory, we must act quickly. There has been talk of turning the building into a museum, but this would just be a waste of public finances while a factory would provide a source of income for dozens of families. We should act quickly and take advantage of this opportunity while we can.

I await your response on the matter.

Sincerely,
Louis de Rohan, Prince de Guémené

A letter is sent. ((@Michaelangelo ))

Friend,

Regarding our last correspondence I have been in touch with the regional governments and militaries of Alta California and Santa-Fe Nuevo México mentioning possibility of imports from the Rohan-Descombes Manufacturing Company (RDMC).

We have agreed upon a preliminary draft where the Mexicans import your arms and one of the subsidiary shipping companies of the Lécuyer Company.

The British are to make our ships pass through, as we are supplying their good allies in war and you're not docking in American ports. The lawyers and executives home in France have been notified of the specifics and they'll reach out to you

On a more friendly tone please give my love to Daphnée and Henri, I look forward to see them again. This country is full of natural and cultural riches, it's a shame it's wrecked by war.

Sincerely,

Jérôme de Lécuyer.

((Private - @ThaHoward))

My friend,

I thank you for making such arrangements. We shall start arranging shipments as soon as possible through your shipping company. Hopefully they shall arrive without problem and provide the Mexicans with much-need armaments.

I can assure you that Daphnée and Henri are doing well. Their union has been a joyous one so far, a fact I am grateful for every day. When you return, I expect they will have much to share with you.

I wish you great success in your Mexican endeavours. May the Mexican people resist the blatant aggressive expansion of the Americans.

Sincerely,
Louis de Rohan, Prince de Guémené

Letter to the Foreign Minister on English Affairs
@DensleyBlair

X4mtCUg.jpg

Monsieur le Vicomte,

After some difficult weeks of negotiation with Lord Clarendon and Lord Palmerston, I am pleased to report the outcome of preliminary resolutions. Lord Clarendon is uninterested in aggravating French opinion—a disposition that has never cautioned Lord Palmerston—and has decided upon several conditions that he hopes will assuage our anxieties.

I have conceded to Lord Clarendon that in the current confusion in the Atlantic it is an impossibility to expect the continued commerce of the United States and France; this is a reality conceded, but not demanded de jure. We can have no absolute confidence that our merchandise will be allowed to flow unmolested to American ports.

However, Lord Clarendon has convinced Lord Palmerston that on the matter of contraband, no goods of a civilian content will be apprehended. But this concession is matched by the equal determination of the Royal Navy to send any ship, even if it is carrying products of a purely commercial content, back to French ports, according to an arbitrary rule. Therefore we have ended the issue of non-contraband confiscation, but our private merchants may have to content themselves with practical isolation from the American trade until the war is completed.

Lord Clarendon assures me that compensation will be granted, but it is my opinion that reimbursements will have to wait until the establishment of peace. I think you would agree that Parliament is in no mood to contemplate remunerative measures in the midst of a struggle. And I do not think it wise to impress the issue beyond the definitive concession that there will be compensations when the time is ripe.

I beg you pass news of these concessions to the chambers, and supply me with further instructions.

Your Loyal Servant,
Charlus

Monsieur le Comte,

I was happy indeed to receive your letter dated —, detailing the preliminary results of negotiations with Lord Clarendon and Lord Palmerston. That my initial estimation of Lord Clarendon, as a man of generally sober judgement, should have been realised offers me great relief, and I shall convey to the chambers the news of his cordiality.

As concerns the acceptance of practical limitations on shipping between France and the United States, I shall communicate with the council of state in the coming days with a mind to issuing revised advice on the matter. For myself, I too do not dispute that continued commerce across the Atlantic would seem an unlikely proposition until the resumption of peace—though I do not doubt that there will be those merchants who should wish to try their luck regardless.

Therefore, you may convey to Her Majesty's government France's satisfaction that this matter should have been negotiated so sensibly, in ready anticipation of resolving the question of compensation at such time that Parliament is unencumbered by the prosecution of its war.

With abiding faith in your judgment, Monsieur, I shall await your next dispatch.

Cordially, I remain,

Bessin

À Son Altesse le Prince de Polignac
(( @m.equitum ))

Battlefor_Troy_Berlioz_To_Clg113.jpg

Monsieur le Prince,

I write to you having presently received word from M. le Comte de Charlus of his success in negotiation with Her Majesty's government as concerns the matter of the maritime seizures. Lord Clarendon has given his assurance that France is quite justified in her pursuit of compensation, and has conveyed that the matter of a sum will be placed before Parliament as soon as the moment is agreeable.

This is not, however, without consequence for the merchant fleet; while Lord Palmerston has been convinced of the matter of contraband, he is reluctant to guarantee free passage for French vessels seeking to reach the United States. Indeed, I have received word from the British that the Royal Navy intends to escalate its blockade—that is to say, all vessels are henceforth to be escorted away from American ports, according to an arbitrary rule.

Lord Clarendon has conceded that the British are in no position to demand de jure any interdiction on trade with the United States. Nevertheless—insofar as both M. le Comte de Charlus and I are resigned to the opinion that transatlantic commerce must be regarded as an impossibility until the resumption of peace—awaiting consultation with the council of state, it is my personal advice that access to the American ports must be considered as interrupted.

No doubt such a conclusion will exact its heaviest toll in the smaller consignors, whose fortunes have already been so exercised by this conflict. I am of a mind, therefore, to believe that some consultation with M. Lièvremont vis-à-vis the assuaging of their difficulty would be advisable. In the meantime, I am given to understand from the aforementioned minister that you have already begun the task of directing the attentions of the Messageries Maritimes elsewhere for the duration of the conflict. In light of the facts outlined above, I should be glad if I might be of assistance, in my capacity as Minister of State for Foreign Affairs, in facilitating this work.

I remain your servant and friend,

Bessin

The Battle of Quebec
Blockade warfare was rather tedious. The Conqueror would fire at the occasional blockade runner coming out of Boston but there were none of the grand sea battles that Domadeaux sought to observe. The most exciting things to happen were the savage disciplines handed out by the officers to the poor, uncouth seamen. Even though the crew had treated him with courtesy it was time to end this adventure on sea and observe the war on land.

Domadeaux departed from the Conqueror by boarding a transport ship loaded with Scotsmen of the 42nd Highland Regiment that the Conqueror was escorting. They were an affable lot and, with some difficulty due to Domadeaux's poor English skills and the soldiers' thick Scottish accents, he learned that the regiment had a distinguished history, even playing a pivotal role at Waterloo. The 42nd was heading to Quebec City to help break the siege the Americans had laid on the city. The Americans had learned their lessons from two failed invasions of Canada and struck hard and fast at Upper Canada (Quebec) with a well-provisioned and large force led by one of America's most senior commanders, General Winfield Scott. This time there was no underestimation of the British-Canadian foe, no comic disorganization, nor any resources wasted on a futile western campaign. Montreal had fallen the previous autumn and so Quebec City was the last obstacle to total American control of the province. The British were determined to not let that happen, though their resources were stretched thin. The Scottish troops, however, were optimistic. After all, Quebec was the site of one of Britain's most famous victories and the city had also withstood an American siege in the American Revolution.

1405px-Battle_of_the_Plains_of_Abraham_2.svg.png

The (in)famous Battle of the Plains of Abraham

The plan was for the regiment to land directly into the city. The British warships would provide coverfire against the American artillery from both sides of the Saint Lawrence. The Americans had surrounded the city on all sides with a force of approximately 15,000 men led by General Winfield Scott. Inside the city was a mixed force of Canadian militia and British regulars of about 2,500 men. The city had been under siege since December. It was not in danger of being starved out, as British naval superiority ensured that the city could be regularly supplied, but it had not received any reinforcements until now due to manpower constraints. Thanks to his conversation with the regiment's colonel as well as his own deductions, he learned that the British hoped to build up their forces within Quebec and when they reached a sufficient number the British would land a force somewhere outside the city. Together, the forces inside and outside the city would break the siege and force the Americans to retreat, which would set the stage for the reconquest of Upper Canada. It was a brilliant plan on paper.

However, like most wartime plans, it failed badly. The Americans were not as obliging as the British would have hoped and they launched their attack before the regiment even landed. The winter had made it difficult for the Americans to dig in and establish their artillery but the onset of spring softened the grounds. General Scott had judged that this was the perfect time to attack before the British sent reinforcements to the city. And so, on the morning of March 8, 1858, the 42nd regiment entered the city with a battle underway.

Unfortunately for them it was also a battle just about lost. The Citadelle of Quebec was already an outdated fortification by the time it was completed in 1850 and so the star-fort's defenses withered under intense American fire. Worse for the British, their troops were not in proper condition to defend the city. Sickness over the winter had overtaken both sides but it had especially ravaged the British-Canadian ranks in the city. Domadeaux was shocked by the site of ill-fed and neglected men strewn about the city. Under these conditions, discipline had deteriorated rapidly. The Americans had made quick progress into the city and even the arrival of the disciplined and well-trained 42nd could not turn the tide.

What was a major setback for his handlers was an opportunity for Domadeaux. He had made sure to put distance between himself and the heaviest fighting and used whatever cover he could as Quebec became a suffocating death box, though it was difficult to avoid artillery. The Americans had breached the city walls by the afternoon but the battle still raged on for hours as savage hand to hand fighting overtook the closed confines of the old colonial city. The 42nd in particular had fought with fierce discipline and would have made their predecessors at Waterloo proud. While he wanted the Americans to win, Domadeaux was sad to see men he had gotten to know cut down and he had to reluctantly admire their discipline and fighting spirit. Alas, it was not enough as American strength was overwhelming and the British-Canadian defenses and morale amongst the units that had been stuck in the besieged city for months was too weak. Yet all was not lost as some British units possessed enough discipline to stage an evacuation and escape to the ships.

As the sun set, Quebec fell and the Americans had won a great victory. Casualties were not high for a battle featuring an assault against a defended city but the artillery barrage and close-quarter fighting had left much of the city in ruins. Domadeaux had been captured with the battalions of the 42nd that had not managed to escape the city. He presented himself to a handsome American lieutenant colonel named Robert E. Lee who then escorted him to General Scott. The old general saw that his credentials were in order and did not seem to take much interest in an eccentric Frenchman until Lee presented him with Domadeaux's ace in the hole: paperwork signed by Louis Napoleon Bonaparte. Suddenly, Domadeaux had become a man of interest.

He had done it in a roundabout way but Domadeaux had accomplished his goal and reached the Americans. Now he would see where destiny led him.

Voting will open tomorrow evening; get up election ic, if any.

A pamphlet is circulated in republican circles.

FLIPPIBIVIT DIPLOMACY

Cast of characters:

Chief President First Minister But Not Really of the Most August and Christian and Plainly Adorned Kingdom of Flippibivit, the Acting Duke of Avaria and Tricount of New Eastphaliia, Elmo Maurice Papillion Merlin Bathomere (commonly known as MB), the most brilliant writer and political theorist of his generation and well regarded around Flippibivit for his numerous hypothetical achievements;

Second First Minister President and Keeper of the Scrolls of the Most August and Christian and Plainly Adorned Kingdom of Flippibivit, Ambassador to the Empire of Egret and Trikingdom of Irembia, the Junior Count Duke of Popopcadia, Charlemagne Luxcroix Lesmey (commonly known as Catiline), the son of someone important, an angry man who likes to shout, and the author of all of Flippibivit's laws;

Prime Mover, First Lord of the Orators, and Best Man of the Empire of Egret and Trikingdom of Irembia, the Lord Tricount of South Pomerania, Henderson James Towntemple (commonly known as Lord Tom), a famous warrior and general who had never fought or commanded a battle and master manipulator.

Scene:

Lord Tom's drawing room in Lordonia, the capital of Egret. All characters are sitting down comfortably. MB and Catiline are exhausted from their long voyage and an even longer wait for Lord Tom.

Scene:

LORD TOM: Thank you for taking the time to pay me a visit, gentlemen. I understand you have some concerns about Egret's policies.

CATILINE (in a whining voice): You kept us waiting for hours you buff-

MB coughs

MB: Yes, you are so gracious to give us your time. And yes, we wish to voice our concerns in both a metaphysical and concrete manner.

LORD TOM: Ah, yes...

He gingerly picks up a cup of tea, which he places his finger in. He swirls his finger around for many moments in silence. Catiline is clearly becoming agitated.

CATILINE: Your war on the Equal Federation of Equally Liberated White Men in Anzerico is destroying our economy! People are starving because of you!

LORD TOM: Is that so? I had no idea.

CATILINE: It is so you fuc-

MB coughs again

MB: It is sad to say so but the ambassador is entirely correct, though he exaggerates to the level of twenty two percent. To be precise, merely the majority of businesses in Flippibivit are bankrupt and three quarters of the population is starving. But, as Locke confirmed, this is only true on a purely physical sense. Corporeality is adversely affected by deleterious conditions but the natural relations between men in the great chain of being remain unaffected. That is, until natural relations are altered by a violent disturbance via historical deterministic cataclysms. But does a natural order truly exist and are we on proper moral grounds to proceed down this path of inquiry? We may never know. That being said, your war is proving to be one of these historical cataclysms that is violating the principles of liberal exchange and the alterations of cultural, economic, and scientific flows of information.

LORD TOM: Hmm...Locke indeed...

CATILINE: Your illegal blockade on Anzerico is preventing us from obtaining seeds for our vital peppercorn industry. We demand that you allow or vessels to pass unmolested.

LORD TOM: We are engaged in a war. The blockade is a legal act.

MB: To fall back on legality in this situation is specious and a logical fallacy, Prime Mover. Before I can address this point, we must ask what the meaning of the law is and what kind of law we are using. Law is a tool to govern men and put order to society, as Hammurabi decreed. Thus, in this scenario, it would be entirely to appropriate to discuss the field of law as it relates to the blockade. However, one must ask if we are referring to natural or man made law. Natural law governs all principles while man made law is limited. Let us first refer to the laws of men. While a state of war can alter the boundaries of law, nothing states that one is entitled to take from another. Thus, your appeal to legality is flawed and incorrect. But should we further expound on the nature of war? Caesar's Gallic Wars expands on this line of thought but I do not have the time to delve into this further. Let us return to natural law. The relations that govern men are determined by natural law and certain form of morality. Now, morality can be relative, but there is a basic morality in us all that results in the divine spark granted to us by the Lord, as Thomas Aquinas once said. To deny our nation the opportunity to acquire necessary goods and resources would cause great harm and suffering. It is a violation of natural law to create harm and suffering. Thus, natural law and the lack of evidence for any further laws dictate that the blockade is not legal.

LORD TOM: Yes it is. Anyway, you can't stop us. Your navy is laughable.

An awkward pause occurs.

CATILINE: What is the point of this war, anyhow? It is only disrupting world commerce and hurting every nation.

LORD TOM: To aid the Independent Empire of Mariachi.

CATILINE: Yes, but why? Mariaci is an embarrassing and impoverished mudhole and the land the Anzericoans want is empty.

LORD TOM: To reaffirm the cherished Egretian principles of sovereign interference and permission. We will starve the entire nation of Anzericoan to uphold our right to interfere in any nation we choose and to ensure that every state must get permission from us before they engage in diplomatic maneuvers. Also, the queen finds the emperor of Mariachi amusing and it is our sacred duty to keep our monarch amused.

CATILINE: I must admit that your last reason is compelling. Certainly it is our duty as subjects to make our kings, queens, and emperors in good spirits. Yet we still must protest your blockade.

LORD TOM: Noted. But it's staying and you can't do anything about it.

Lord Tom sticks out his tongue. Before Catiline can act, MB interjects hastily.

MB: Perhaps we can come to some kind of arrangement or compromise? As Hobbes stated, we are all imperfect beings corrupted by our very nature and it is necessary for the relationships between man and the bonds of society to keep this nature in check. Thus, being imperfect, it is permissible to enter into imperfect relations.

LORD TOM: Maybe.

CATILINE: Would you allow some goods that are clearly not weapons to pass?

LORD TOM: No, that would defeat the point of the blockade.

MB: Would Egret be amenable to compensating Flippibivit for the monetary value of the goods seized by your sailors and the economic damage done to our state? A reciprocal exchange is the bedrock of all contract law in your legal system, after all. But can an exchange truly be reciprocal? I believe there is error in such an approach. We must not be rigid in our thinking or else the relations that govern the conduct of society will be frustrated by attempts to achieve an impossible sense of equality. That approach is admirable but fallacious. Man must not be wedded to such natural rights but instead should be directed by the tenets of natural law. In this spirit of deference to the wisdom of tradition, we seek a justice not made by man but merely enforced by man and created by God. And so, as a great steward in the tradition of political philosophy, we humbly make this request.

LORD TOM: No.

CATILINE: Please reconsider.

LORD TOM: We can say that Flippibivit will be compensated but it will never be. That is the last thing we will say on the matter.

And so the ambassador and Chief President First Minister But Not Really returned to Flippibivit as heroes. The king ordered three hundred te deums to be sung in every church across the land as well as twenty canons to be fired every two hours in each village. The pope even sent a strand of cloth to the king to celebrate the accomplishment. The next month over eighty-five percent of Flippibivit was near death and the Acting Duke of Avaria wrote a new treatise reflecting all the knowledge he had gained on the nature of social and political relations.

La Dépêche de Toulouse

Nos fils preférés sont en retour

The society of notables in Toulouse has recently gathered for the usual soirées that engulf the social scene of the city in autumn. After another brilliant show of distinction provided by our provincial nobility and hommes de lettres in Paris for the duration of the summer season, the sumptuous coaches now return from the northern skies and lend their bustling activity to our squares, parks and hôtels particuliers.

Among these, this writer has had the pleasure to accompany M. Constantin Barbara de Labelotterie de Boisésson in his rentrée to the ranks of Toulousin high society, after the recent repatriation of such portentous family from Russia to nearby Castres. M. Barbara, after much finesse in entertaining our curious minds with tales from snowy Russian dachas, has noticed that the reopening of the Château de Labelotterie to social events shall follow in the next weeks, when the family will be promoting a soirée. The reception for M. Barbara was conducted by the always gracious hostess, the Comtesse d'Astorg, whose daughter Jeanne Marie had recently completed her fifteenth birthday, with le début happening in the Parisian salons; maintaining the tradition of the finest flowers of the Languedoc, now enchanting the whole of France.

The night was filled with joy, talk and a youthfulness that imbibes Toulouse every autumn. During the same reception, at the Hôtel d'Astorg, we have been honoured to make acquaintance and parlay extensively with the probable stars of the soirée themselves, the Minister for Agriculture and Trade, M. Lièvremont, and his wife Mme. Hélène Louise, daughter of the Comte d'Hautpoul. After many a season spent in Paris only, given the recent recess in the Chamber of Deputies and a brief ease of the burdens of government, M. Lièvremont and his family have decided to return to their southern roots, taking residence in the Hôtel d'Hautpoul in the city, together with the noble patriarch of the wife's family. M. Lièvremont has demonstrated, at the same time, a competence in the reigns of government and a sense of deference and duty that much impress la haute societé toulousaine, given our Occitanian penchant for those who are dashing and graceful altogether. M. Lièvremont and madame, after usual conversations about politics with local notables such as le comte de Daru and le marquis de Fouilhac-Padignac, much contributed to make the evening lively, complete with a impromptu rendition of peasant songs that M. Lièvremont has provided, joined by the pianist.

The season has begun in a high note; and this writer expects to oblige the readership in more information on our joyous balls and soirées, as the next weeks bring more to be enjoyed in our beautiful Toulouse.

((@Luftwafer ))

Dear M. Auberjonois,

My good friend Auberjonois, it has been awhile since we have spoken. However, since then much has changed which I am sure you have heard on. Yet, today I write not on my woes but my prospects. Specifically, I write on a business proposal to you to join as a member of the board of directors at my factory being constructed in Paris. We could use men such as your self well versed in the cutting edge of military hardware for planning acquisitions and research and development funding.

If you prove interested we can discuss compensation and arrangements over lunch.

Yours,

Général Godefroy Raymond de la Rhône, Comté de la Rhône

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
((@99KingHigh ))

Dear M. Delvigne

I hope this letter finds you in good health, M. Delvigne. I write to you today, because I have been in the search for a man to head my companies research and development department. I am well familiar with your accomplishments in the field of military innovation and your work regarding the improvement of rifles making them usable for proper military use. Because of these accomplishments I would like to meet with you in person in Paris so we can discuss potential employment as head of my companies research and development branch. Our current work is in relation to developing a new military revolver.

If you are interested we can discuss all compensation and arrangements over lunch.

Yours,

Général Godefroy Raymond de la Rhône, Comté de la Rhône