• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
@ Gringoesteban That is probably the wise approach, and is what I did in previous games. This time I believe that the Soviets are still reeling from battle and losses, so the Heer is going to push on and see what happens.

November 1941

Improved Recon Tactics/ Improved Tactical Bomber

Basic Hospital System/ Rocket Engine

On the second the Heer’s mobile forces begin to isolate Stalingrad, prompting a massive counterattack. Operation Uranus begins.

WQGeU2.png

Yx9Mi7.png

The Soviet thrust runs out of steam and then it is Army Group Sud on the attack.

j3LOP0.png

When the Red Army breaks, the Heer splits up, pursuing the Soviets in flight, and moving to surround Stalin’s city.

frb1Mt.png

In the Moscow pocket, Rzhev falls and the attack goes in on Mozhaisk. (I like Gringo’s army description so much that I printed them out here.)

7Bx19a.png

The march on Baku continues with German and Italian formations closing in.

eWL0Gq.png

The French fleet takes a bloody nose at sea. On the Ost Front Rommel leads his weary men through the frozen steppes to the current Soviet capital.

Esy7tE.png

NkWkvl.png

The Red Army rushes to defend the capital from Rommel, Model and Guderian. Model sits on the retreat line for about 20 Russian divisions, awaiting them eagerly.

A78spH.png

UVc4e2.png

Now Moscow is surrounded in the north, though the encirclement is delayed at Stalingrad by a vicious defense.

SUM21J.png

The Politburo moves to its last stop on the rail line, dragging possessions through the deepening snow.

JPgLhq.png

fbqkuT.png

Stalingrad is ringed about again, as the High Command weighs risks and rewards.

d54eUm.png

While they dither, General Winter rises to bolster the Red Army forces.

8GjbA1.png

Nonetheless the order is given and the defenses of Stalingrad are stormed by the Wehrmacht and Luftwaffe, which rains bombs and paratroops from the sky.

08dxNu.png

It takes about two full days to put the last of the garrison to the sword.

mYG4iI.png

On the 29th, another airdrop is made into Moscow, supported by troops surrounding the besieged city. The Abwehr reports 81 divisions crammed into the defensive works there.

MAGzz3.png

But the Russians are beaten men, huddled together in despair. They surrender their former capital after just four hours of sporadic fighting.

Ss4roW.png

CaDcuN.png

IfKbQL.png

The Abwehr prepares a report for the jubilant High Command.

EcYPUl.png

Wow, all of that work encircling and reducing Moscow and Stalingrad quite paid off. Stalingrad lasting two days just blows my mind!

@ Mkoll13 Thanks for reading along. Stalingrad seems to me almost impossible unless it is completely surrounded, which is pretty accurate to real history, I believe.

December 1941

Combat Unit Destruction Doctrine/ Hunt & Destroy Groups Doctrine

Early Marine Division/ Basic Airborne Division

The Luftwaffe reigns supreme in the West. The occasional Allied foray into the skies is met with waves of interceptors.

w8ohgr.png

The French fleet sorties to harass Gibraltar.

kpQsuy.png

The offensive capabilities of the Mobile Forces in particular are worn to a nub. A few divisions are left in place to hold the salient into South-central Russia, while most are withdrawn for refitting in Varna.

6EEYwj.png

On December 4th, Japan declares war on the USA. This was anticipated to some degree by the High Command, who reeled the Kriegsmarine back in closer to the Atlantic ports for greater mutual support.

kIbExZ.png

With the Heer forces at their lowest ebb, word comes in of a massive Soviet troop transfer. Where will these dangerous fanatics strike next?

jD80Pk.png

On December 8 Germany and the Axis partners declare was on the USA. In the Persian area, the noose tightens around Baku.

9JH6dv.png

A review of the Ostfront.

4istq6.png

Here is the same image with the Luftwaffe disposition noted (C=CAS; T=TAC; F=FTR).

Fighters control the anemic Red Air Force and look for new troop concentrations. When the Siberians appear, the CAS and FTR wings interdict them while the TACs strip away the infrastructure under them.

EqOoP2.png

The Yanks arrive in Britain and immediately engage the Luftwaffe all along the Atlantic Wall. Both sides take heavy losses in men and machines.

rkfymp.png

Partisans continue to plague the Heer in the east, but local forces are able to meet the threat to date.

a2VcKM.png

The American press hard, via air and sea.

FojI9G.png

qGNaT8.png

The Siberians arrive! The few mobile reserves redeploy as the Luftwaffe begins to pound the attackers.

jesa0b.png

Ji9RgR.png

The Wehrmacht holds in both provinces, with significant casualties. Fortunately, the ravaged infrastructure on the Soviet side will make it difficult for the Siberians to form up for new missions.

pHRuGJ.png

The third Siberian Front launches its assault. Again the defenders scramble to reinforce and bring in air strikes. At sea, the first American fleet raiding in the North Sea is sent home minus two battleships and some support vessels after a running engagement over several days.

bTQwtM.png

In a desperate gambit, an air drop is made on Ryazan, seeking to disrupt the savage attack emanating from the province.

yMZoo6.png

It works! The paratroops and their support break the back of the Soviet attack and Tula holds out. Immediately the paratroops come under severe pressure and they are ordered to withdraw.

At sea, another US Navy force arrives, structured to be more deadly to the U-boat fleets.

m7LDIE.png

And then a massive US Navy fleet also arrives in the North Sea. Thankfully, poor weater prevents much damage to the wolfpack which encounters them.

ajClwo.png

Even in its depleted state, the High Command exhorts the Heer to encircle the large Soviet salient.

0fmtfJ.png

Christmas Day on the Ostfront. Slow progress in reducing Baku and other pockets.

36PQFJ.png

Von Kleist’s Korps is the first to be refitted and he moves back into action sealing the fate of Russians trapped near Grozny.

XR9tVR.png

On the last day of 1941, the attack goes in on Baku.

DvJrP5.png

On New Year’s Day, the defenders capitulate.

OQRJEA.png

The Abwehr prepares the month end reports.

noaxHH.png

Gk97kS.png

January 1942

Floating Fortress Doctrine/ Advanced Submarine Operations Doctrine

Rocket Engine/ Turbojet Engine

On January 3rd, Baku is captured.

4ttnOz.png

On January 5th the bulk of the remaining Red Army forces are encircled.

UQWJQ1.png

General Hausser’s Korps rejoins the front lines, as Rommel and von Manstein also move forward.

NhkgfD.png

8raAHZ.png

STAVKA bewilders the High Command with an air drop deep behind the front lines.

Zb1MGD.png

The drive on Sverdlovsk begins in earnest.

I4O3AK.png

An American fleet is sighted near Gibraltar but seems to veer off to the west. Finnish volunteers arrive for service in the frigid east front.

0l0T8O.png

The Red Army rallies some forces to defend their last capital and the extended lines of supply have the Heer at a disadvantage.

mUAvU0.png

Rommel’s Korps arrives to bolster the attack against the stubborn defense.

vY2jxw.png

Though the Heer suffers massive casualties on the frozen battlefield, they prevail and Sverdlovsk is taken on the 27th.

vdii1p.png

The next day, Stalin offers to settle a Bitter Peace from his hideout in Siberia. The war in the East is finished.

PPJaRr.png

The Abwehr prepares some reports.

QLgzi7.png

3dxfWG.png

C4myEp.png

Here is a look back at what might have been, with 111 more divisions pocketed here.

Ju5tGd.png

The war at sea seems to be going well in the Pacific.

fP28ti.png

The new map of Europe/ Asia. Italy released India as well. In the Atlantic, two American fleets have been savaged but two more are cruising the area. The air space over the English Channel is firmly in Luftwaffe hands. Forces are transferring West to engage England and Iceland, but I am not sure that the AAR will continue at this point, due to time constraints.

3vwwGM.png

Whether continued or not I would like to thank any who have read along and/ or commented, particularly with the huge Forum relocation in the middle of it all. And in particular I would thank Gringoesteban for all his work making the Third Reich Mod which is hands down the most fun thing I’ve ever played in AoD.

an excellent victory!

Great read, well done on your victory! It's incredibly astonishing how you defeated 81 divisions in Moscow in just 4 hours!

Congratulations Lima Tango. Amazing victory that I should study. One of your keys to success must be the use of the mot inf brigade attachment for the Panzer divs. Have you ever gone on to invade the USA? I have found that the USA appears to hold back its carrier fleets until an invasion force gets close to USA. My best effort for this version has been bitter peace around Mar 43 (more than a year later than yours) and that was with JAP taking Vladav... so I only needed Baku & Stalingrad. Another one of your keys to success is very early supremacy over the Royal Navy. With all the other things to do, this is a remarkable achievement. I'm probably going to get nuked because I cant get an invasion foothold on UK, I need marines. Is it time that you moved on to become an ace player in the multiplayer world?