• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
How long does it take to be safe not to subsidise factories? I just tried, but my factories quickly ran into money problems, started firing workers and nearly closed, forcing me to subsidise again.

Also, as the Netherlands I've been ranked at number 7 in the world for 2 years but not yet ascended to becoming a GP. I obviously have more than one state, so why am I not becoming great?

Last edited by a moderator:
To your first question. After 2 months you can usually see if a factory has a positive balance or not.

To your second question. A nation has to be ranked lower than rank 8 for a year without being at war with another Great Power to drop out of great power status. Check the nations that are still great power even though they're ranked lower than 8 to see if they meet the criteria.

As a rough guide, which POPs are more 'important' than others? I know the game isn't as black and white as to have useful and useless POPs, but what is a general guide? For example, craftsmen are probably the most important as they power your industry. With no craftsmen you have no industry, no money, and no power. Artisans I'd class as a weaker pop. I'd much rather force my artisans into the factories to bolster my industry but there is little to influence this apart from taxing the middle strata to death.

How useful are the aristocrats, bureaucrats, officers and capitalists? If you have excellent literacy clergy can be ignored somewhat, and I have no position at all regarding officers.

As a rough guide, which POPs are more 'important' than others? I know the game isn't as black and white as to have useful and useless POPs, but what is a general guide? For example, craftsmen are probably the most important as they power your industry. With no craftsmen you have no industry, no money, and no power. Artisans I'd class as a weaker pop. I'd much rather force my artisans into the factories to bolster my industry but there is little to influence this apart from taxing the middle strata to death.

How useful are the aristocrats, bureaucrats, officers and capitalists? If you have excellent literacy clergy can be ignored somewhat, and I have no position at all regarding officers.

Bureaucrats are important if you need cash, officers are important if you need leadership to boost your military score (and can't afford to spam ships), and capitalists are important if you have a L-F economy, are low on cash, or need help buying inputs (I believe they are supposed to give a bonus to this).

Artisans are important if you cannot support industry but want wealthy populations. Which is important for assimilation, and increasing your tax base. I don't mess with aristocrats much tbh.

A question regarding artillery and AHD:

Since when does ART no longer need any supporting INF or CAV units to prevent instant annihilation? I hadn't played a lot until AHD came out recently, but I though ART required additional units in vanilla or it would be annihiliated in combat. Or am I mixing this up with EU3?

Anyway, why should you build anything except ART if you have the money?
It receives better stats from tech and can support with 100% firepower from the 2nd row, so once you have researched army tech tier II, it vastly outperforms any other unit available until tanks arrive on the battlefield.

Last edited:
Since this wasn't answered (as far as I know), I thought I'd bump it with an example:

70B42222D630286AF7563F0762D778CD72A86302

In this picture, I've just started (haven't touched a single button other than clicking on the flag), yet I start out with -12 Mil score.
Hate to be a bother, but this problem still persists, and I can't figure out why nor can I find anything about it.

A question regarding artillery and AHD:

Since when does ART no longer need any supporting INF or CAV units to prevent instant annihilation? I hadn't played a lot until AHD came out recently, but I though ART required additional units in vanilla or it would be annihiliated in combat. Or am I mixing this up with EU3?

Anyway, why should you build anything except ART if you have the money?
It receives better stats from tech and can support with 100% firepower from the 2nd row, so once you have researched army tech tier II, it vastly outperforms any other unit available until tanks arrive on the battlefield.

ART isn't automatically annihilated, true, but it can't take as many casualties and will get chewed up by regular infantry if it's in the first rank. I think even irregulars can take first rank artillery; I know infantry can.

What is supposed to happen if a movement exceeds 100 radicalism? I had the suffrage movement go over 100, but it didn't seem like anything happened.

Also, aren't rebels supposed to, well, rebel after they get 100% ready?

AHD, obviously, 2.21 beta.

The movement will disband and all supports will join rebel factions.
These will not always rise instantly, but unless to manage to pass other reforms quickly, the chances of unrest are quite large.

Hello. I have got some questions, but i fear some of them might not be quick or have quick answers, but i don't really like starting new threads.

I got only the basic game of Victoria 2, no addons yet. And i recently played my first game as Belgium, as someone here suggested when i asked some months ago, and failed horribly in about 1870. Basically, i fear that i don't really understand most of the game mechanics at all.

I got liberals into power pretty quickly, and thus had a laissez-faire economy. I felt that that means that i mostly want to have factory workers and capitalists, so i lowered taxes on the lower and upper class, while increasing them on the middle class. I also used my national focus on factory workers. However, i still never had enough workers to work in the factories in my country, and according to the statistics in the upper left, my economy fell behind more and more, even though i researched almost exclusively economic technologies. I also invested a lot of money into education, and later the military, to gain more soldiers and more research.

What is a good way to get a good economy, since what i did apparently wasn't it?

I found it strange that when i aquired Java, which brought in lots of money from coffee trade, my economic score did not change at all. Similarly, killing the whole hollandian army did not change their military score in any way. What do those scores actually mean, since they can't mean pure military or economic strength?

I also noticed that for about half the game, i could build no units but basic infantry, because apparently noone wanted to sell wine or skipper convoys to me because my prestige was too low. Do you have to produce those yourself, and if, how would you do that when your factories are being built by capitalists, and not yourself? I didn't really care for prestige since i wanted my country to do well, not look well, and thought that prestige would follow that on its own at a given time anyways.

Coming from EU3, i planned my diplomacy mostly around keeping my infamy low. However, i also did not want to just sit around idly and let time pass by, so i got into some wars when i could, first against Denmark, after the Prussians beat them up, and took Iceland and Greenland from them because i could. Sometime later, i beat up the Netherlands and took a bit of mainland territory from them. Later i took some stuff in Asia minor, and even later Java from the Hollanders in a defensive war. There was always ample time between the wars to let my infamy die down. However, i never had a justification in any war. In EU3, you get a lot of different CBs against different countries, some good, some pretty useless. Did i miss any way to make a more legitimate war?

I sometimes got allies, but they always quit whenever someone attacked me. So i was mostly on my own, while the Netherlands managed to get alliances with usually two out of the three of GB, France and the Northern German Union at most times. I did not have a single war where anyone ever honoured any alliance with me. Lateron, noone even wanted to ally me anymore, and i have no idea why. My infamy was pretty low, and i had good relations with them (France, GB). What finally killed me was when holland, who regularly attacked me, and whom i regularly beat up, managed to get the Northern German Union to honour their Call to Arms in an offensive war against me, while i had no allies at all, since i lost them every time holland declared one of their chanceless wars against me. How does diplomacy work in this game? What mistakes did i make?

Also, i felt like i basically could do nothing at all during most of the game. I could not declare any wars, because everyone is allied to 1-2 great powers. I could not do much domestically, because the capitalists build everything, and besides setting the taxes every few years to stay even, and starting a new research every 2 years, there was nothing to do at all besides watch, and even when watching nothing really changed. Did i miss something i should do? So i mostly just sat there at x4 speed waiting for the research to finish.

Regarding reforms, should i enact them whenever i can? From what i know, generally green numbers are good, and red numbers are bad. On all reforms, there are exclusively green numbers, so that should make them completely positive, but apparently they are not.

What is that whole thing with conscience about? Do i want that high or low? It seems to have something to do with rebels, and something with increased research speed, but i was unable to figure out exactly what.

I seem to be generally unable to figure out what is good, what is bad, and how to influence stuff one way or another. Except for that time when 200000 german soldiers invaded my land and demanded i give them everything i own, that was quite obviously bad.

The movement will disband and all supports will join rebel factions.
These will not always rise instantly, but unless to manage to pass other reforms quickly, the chances of unrest are quite large.

Thanks! That makes a lot of sense.