• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Noob question time! :D

Er... how do I colonise? The button for setting it as a national focus always seems to be greyed out because the liferating is too low. Is researching Medicine (which I've done) not enough or just not the right thing?

AHD, latest version, incidentally.

Noob question time! :D

Er... how do I colonise? The button for setting it as a national focus always seems to be greyed out because the liferating is too low. Is researching Medicine (which I've done) not enough or just not the right thing?
Not enough. There are three sources of extra life rating limit: five points from Prophylaxis against Malaria (a discovery that happens after you've researched Medicine) and ten points each from Machine Guns and Nationalism & Imperialism. Most uncolonized provinces have a life rating of 10 or 15, requiring you to get MG and N&I at a minimum; if all provinces in a state have life rating 10, you'll also need the Prophylaxis against Malaria discovery.

Commercial Retailing

When I click on most European provinces, they have an attribute called "Commercial Retailing" which gives 120% farm production. This is similar to "Mechanized Mining" and such. I have searched through the tech tree and cannot find one that includes an invention to allow Commercial Retailing. Is that attribute for the AIs only?

When I click on most European provinces, they have an attribute called "Commercial Retailing" which gives 120% farm production. This is similar to "Mechanized Mining" and such. I have searched through the tech tree and cannot find one that includes an invention to allow Commercial Retailing. Is that attribute for the AIs only?

I think its activated by the distribution channels invention.

Thanks! But, ummmm .... I can't find the distribution channels invention (doesn't seem to be in any of the Commerce tracks); which tech track is it in?

Business banks. Third one down on the left hand side of Commerce. There is an event that spreads the effect around after about 1880 or 1890 if you have got the invention. You'll need to go search in the event files to get the full picture of how it works.

How can I remove a nation from my own SoI? I thought this option was going to be added in AHD but I can't find it anywhere, and neither the Vicky editor nor the GTFO mod seem to be alive anymore.

I just dropped the Decisions and Localization folders from GTFO 1.2 in with my Unofficial Fix Pack MOD and ignored the gtfo.mod file (It is in the old format anyway). I haven't had it crash my AHD + Fixpack games.

The only thing to note is that I removed a Chinese Sub State from MY SoI when I was playing as Russia and it not only removed the sub state from my SoI it also removed it from being a Satellite/Sub State from "The Chinese Empire" and that is a little too close to "cheating" for my taste.

I am Northern German Federation, Denmark, Austria and Baden + Bavaria (both of them revolted from SGF who does not exists anymore) are in my sphere of influence. Then I trigger the Unify Germany Event, and I only inherit Baden and souther Denmark. I have cores in Bavaria so I dont understand why... I've read that having Austria into your sphere of influence make it follow when unifying but it does not in my game. Imperial Austria collapsed and a new Austria emerged, the one with the actual flag, maybe that is why.

I'm kind of lost if someone can help me, thanks :)

I am Northern German Federation, Denmark, Austria and Baden + Bavaria (both of them revolted from SGF who does not exists anymore) are in my sphere of influence. Then I trigger the Unify Germany Event, and I only inherit Baden and souther Denmark. I have cores in Bavaria so I dont understand why... I've read that having Austria into your sphere of influence make it follow when unifying but it does not in my game. Imperial Austria collapsed and a new Austria emerged, the one with the actual flag, maybe that is why.

I'm kind of lost if someone can help me, thanks :)

Bavaria would have to be in your sphere to be added unless you own it directly -- just having cores isn't enough. If the new Austria isn't South German in culture, you won't add it.

By new Austria, do you mean Austria-Hungary, or just Austria with a different flag (which indicates a change of government - maybe austria became a democracy, since you said it's the actual flag)?

It is a Presidential Dictatorship Austria. And Bavaria is in my sphere of influence. BTW I've just reload the game, waited for 1 month and launch the unification event again, this time everything went smooth and cool. Maybe I launched the event too early after requesting that Austria enter in my SoI.

I have 3 questions, its better to put them here than make new threads I guess.

1) Greece declares war on Turkey (Ottomans rebelled). Greece has a 30k troop sitting in Athens which it simply refuses to lose while Turkey takes control of their provinces. I am guessing this is because I tagged over the Greece earlier in the game because they were being taken over by rebels and their troops didn't move, so I kinda forced them. Does this somehow make the AI forget they have them if I tamper with their forces?

2) I have a garrison in Mexico as the UK due to military access and our alliance against the USA. However Mexico is being taken over by communists and I want to use my garrison to prevent this from happening, but I cannot fight the Mexican rebels. I am sure pre-2.31 you could fight allied rebels. Has this been removed?

3) North Germany had Baden and Wruttemburg in their sphere, as it happens in 100% every one of my AHD games. Bavaria is with Austria. NEVER does this change in any of my games. Austria spends 100% of its points trying to keep BAV and NGF spends its points getting banned in BAV and defending the other two from other nations. Why doesnt NGF declare war on Austria to take from sphere? Shouldn't this be coded in the AI? Thanks :p

I have 3 questions, its better to put them here than make new threads I guess.

1) Greece declares war on Turkey (Ottomans rebelled). Greece has a 30k troop sitting in Athens which it simply refuses to lose while Turkey takes control of their provinces. I am guessing this is because I tagged over the Greece earlier in the game because they were being taken over by rebels and their troops didn't move, so I kinda forced them. Does this somehow make the AI forget they have them if I tamper with their forces?

2) I have a garrison in Mexico as the UK due to military access and our alliance against the USA. However Mexico is being taken over by communists and I want to use my garrison to prevent this from happening, but I cannot fight the Mexican rebels. I am sure pre-2.31 you could fight allied rebels. Has this been removed?

3) North Germany had Baden and Wruttemburg in their sphere, as it happens in 100% every one of my AHD games. Bavaria is with Austria. NEVER does this change in any of my games. Austria spends 100% of its points trying to keep BAV and NGF spends its points getting banned in BAV and defending the other two from other nations. Why doesnt NGF declare war on Austria to take from sphere? Shouldn't this be coded in the AI? Thanks :p

1. Switching tags always causes unpleasantness; it's a good idea to save and reload after you switch.

2. I think this is WAD, but I'd post it in the bug thread to make sure.

3. I've never seen the Brother's War in AHD (but I have seen NGF often fail miserably in the Franco-Prussian War); I think you're right, something changed with the AI. I'm not sure if it can be fixed, though.

Hello, I have few questions, sorry if it was previously explain somewhere.
It's about the army composition. What is a good ratio between infantry/mounted and canon? Is there an advantage to mix the kind of troop or I should just go with the strongest unit (ex Dragon vs the other mounted unit?)
I am playing Japan in my game and I have to face huge Chinese stack (last time they send several armies of 133 000 men, one was even 259 000 !) There is no penalty for stacking other than province attrition ? How can I face that kind of army, even with a tech advantage I don't think I can face a 1vs5 ratio...

many thanks !