Quick Questions/ Quick Answers - HoI4

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
If anyone has played as Communist Chile- can either of the leftist 1938 candidates (Cerda and Lafertte) lead to a Communist Chile, or does it have to be Lafertte?

I'm struggling here a bit with the meaning of those command power related boni in Uruguays "Joint Operations Command" NF:

UruguayNFJOC.jpg

The lower is probably a bonus to daily command power regeneration? But what is the upper one - further increasing/modifying the regeneration value or something related to increasing the storage cap of 200 command power?

Reactions:
Fairly sure it's a cap increase. You may try to compare the wording with e. g. GBP doctrine, where there definitely is a bonus to CP cap somewhere in the left branch.

Reactions:
Fairly sure it's a cap increase. You may try to compare the wording with e. g. GBP doctrine, where there definitely is a bonus to CP cap somewhere in the left branch.
Thanks for the input :) The wording is slightly different to the one in the GBP doctrine...

CentralPlanning.jpg

...but maybe the additional word "multiplier" is just because we have a % boost instead of a flat one. Which would make that NF in question fairly interesting - extensions of the command power are fairly sparse in the game and if that 30% should be counted towrds the base of 200 we would talk of +60. I guess I will find out then and report my result back here.

Reactions:
Can I, as faction leader, manually embargo someone who is not in my faction? I’m pretty sure that I’ve seen it several times happen (issued by UK/Allies) during peacetime, yet i can’t find the button for it anywhere.

Can I, as faction leader, manually embargo someone who is not in my faction? I’m pretty sure that I’ve seen it several times happen (issued by UK/Allies) during peacetime, yet i can’t find the button for it anywhere.
You can embargo a country by going to their diplomatic actions menu, but AFAIK it only applies to you, not the other members of your faction. IIRC it also requires a DLC (AAT?).

Reactions:
Hello quick question! What width is better for defending mountains: 10 width or 25 width?

I have been using 25w but I just experience a weird loss against the ai bruteforcing against my 25w mountaineers, they failed to reinforce and the ai took the tile, does that mean 10w would be better for defending mountains?

Hello quick question! What width is better for defending mountains: 10 width or 25 width?

I have been using 25w but I just experience a weird loss against the ai bruteforcing against my 25w mountaineers, they failed to reinforce and the ai took the tile, does that mean 10w would be better for defending mountains?
Mountains are 50+25, using a 25w 'defense' template would have the same sorts of problems as using 40w 'defense' templates in the Before Times with the 80+40 width. Which is, you only get 2 templates in a standard combat, which has a limited amount of org and is more vulnerable to this sort of 'failed to reinforce' problem.

I'm not really sure why 10w would be your next suggested go-to. 12.5 (so, 12 or 13) would be the next largest common factor between 50 and 25. If we're leaning more on the 50 than the 25, you could even us 15/16. All of those are 90%+ on the catgraph while 10w is only at 80%.

Reactions:
Mountains are 50+25, using a 25w 'defense' template would have the same sorts of problems as using 40w 'defense' templates in the Before Times with the 80+40 width. Which is, you only get 2 templates in a standard combat, which has a limited amount of org and is more vulnerable to this sort of 'failed to reinforce' problem.

I'm not really sure why 10w would be your next suggested go-to. 12.5 (so, 12 or 13) would be the next largest common factor between 50 and 25. If we're leaning more on the 50 than the 25, you could even us 15/16. All of those are 90%+ on the catgraph while 10w is only at 80%.
Thank you! Though wouldn't 12 width have a massive over width penalty? It is 10 whole width over limit, so a 10-15% debuff to stats?

Thank you! Though wouldn't 12 width have a massive over width penalty? It is 10 whole width over limit, so a 10-15% debuff to stats?
I suppose it depends which part you think is more important, but ending up with 5x12w in a 50w combat, 60 total width, would be 20% over width and therefore have a -20% penalty to your stats. So if you're left with 80% of your 60w force, you're 'effectively fighting' with 48w out of an allowed 50w. You're getting 96% 'combat efficiency', though your 'cost effectiveness' of paying for 60w but using 48w, is only 80%.

It should be noted that I mentioned a range, 12 or 13. This is because it is generally difficult to specifically hit the target of 12.5w, you would have to either go 'under' the target with 12, or 'over' it with 13. If we are optimizing specifically around the 50w combat, 4x13w's would use 52w out of an allowed 52, incurring only a 4% reduction and resulting in 49.92 fighting width, 99.84% combat efficiency and 96% cost effectiveness.

Between the two, 13 seems to be a much more preferable option... but now the question is, how do you comprise this 13w template? You typically won't be able to make it pure infantry and some supports, like some are wont to do with low widths like 10 and 12, because 13 is an odd number. You'll generally have to attach something else to it, which is going to typically, ramp costs. Extra cost is the whole reason we wanted to avoid using 12 to begin with, but there are other downsides and trade offs to be considered.

A bit of an aside, 12w is just a 'worse' 10w when it comes to 50w combats. They are both use 5x divisions, but the 12w are suffering a penalty for what might appear to be, no reason. The problem I mentioned with 10w, being 80%, is in 1 very specific and rather unlikely case. The second lowest efficiency is 94%, and most are 97+%. But those sorts of unlikely and very specific things, is the very reason that brought you here to begin with. You encountered a problem where you failed to reinforce. What happens if you were using 10w or some such, and encountered the very problem that 80% represents, and then also lost the tile because of that? Would you have come here with a similar question, what you should do to avoid the problem?

Alternative solutions to the original problem, rather than changing the width, is to pay more attention/micro your divisions, to manually shuffle them or use last stand. You could also include signals companies, and pick particular officer traits/doctrines to help minimize the chances of failing to reinforce. You could also accept that this is just something that happens sometimes, and have something of a QRF/fire brigade floating around to support these sorts of situations as they develop.

As 'quick' as most of these questions are, the answers are rarely simple enough to be 'quick', as the thread name suggests.

Reactions:
What understand i wrong? Why i get it not for free? Why show me first 25 xp but when i go in th next window 20 xp? 100% from 25 are 25. 5 from 25 sind 20%. The second in the combatline is then fore free. :(

1710863408229.png
1710863459247.png
1710863485439.png

1710863518316.png

Reactions:
My plan was to save the 25 xp for a new regiment for the 35 xp spirit. At the end we have 25 for new regiment = with out spirit and 35 + 20 new regiment with spirit for lineartillery. I think its usefull when i choose it before i take support artillery and more as one template.

My plan was to save the 25 xp for a new regiment for the 35 xp spirit. At the end we have 25 for new regiment = with out spirit and 35 + 20 new regiment with spirit for lineartillery. I think its usefull when i choose it before i take support artillery and more as one template.
The while splitting of artillery as a new regiment type, and the xp for templates thing as a whole, is no small amount of frustration to no small amount of players. Shame your plan wont work, but at least you are closer to actually playing 'the game'.

• 1Like
Reactions:
If I'm about to produce infantry equipment 2, but don't want any of my divisions to use it, can I Mark it obsolete or do I have to edit every division template?

I want to export them

If I'm about to produce infantry equipment 2, but don't want any of my divisions to use it, can I Mark it obsolete or do I have to edit every division template?

I want to export them
Editing the division template is probably the easiest way to accomplish your goal. Open the Division Designer and left-click the "Equipment" button. Uncheck both the "Use new equipment" and "Infantry Equipment II" boxes, then left-click the "Update" button. This action costs zero XP and any infantry equipment II will go to your stockpile and can be sold on the international market.

Division Designer.png

Division Designer Update.png

Reactions:
Editing the division template is probably the easiest way to accomplish your goal. Open the Division Designer and left-click the "Equipment" button. Uncheck both the "Use new equipment" and "Infantry Equipment II" boxes, then left-click the "Update" button. This action costs zero XP and any infantry equipment II will go to your stockpile and can be sold on the international market.

View attachment 1103206

View attachment 1103207

Thanks I'll do that!

• 1Like
Reactions:
Is there a quick game overview?

I left the computer on overnight to see how things will develop, but I can’t see a quick overview of the timeframe, just the end screen. I’m pretty sure that I’ve seen it in some YouTube playthrough though.

Is there something odd about the distances in the Arctic Sea?

As Soviets, I built a task force of nothing but 1940 destroyers, 2000 km range. They cannot reach one tile, not one tile into the Norwegian Sea. I have Murmansk but not Petsamo. The tooltip mentions one of the nearest ports is owned by Finland at ~1400 km, so presumably that is Petsamo. I'm certain Murmansk is not 600 km away from Petsamo.

On a real map I would estimate 2000 km would reach all the way to Bergen at least.

FWIW, I am not at war and so presume Kattegat/Skagerrak shouldn't be blocked. Can't reach the Norwegian Sea that way either. Wikipedia says the Baltic sea is 1601 km long, whatever that means.