• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I feel like I brought it up before, but Forczyk's We March Against England was--in my opinion--fairly revealing that the Germans did very well to come up with a from-scratch amphibious capability in mere months. Given the state of the Royal Navy (and their deployments) combined with accurate reviews of post-action reviews of hits and ships sunk during surface actions given similar conditions as would be expected, I have to come down mostly on Forczyk's side that the Germans probably could have wrangled the crossing, at least some of it. It would definitely have been on the shoestring, and Science knows that we're all better for the Brits not having to turn England itself into a battlefield, but I can't say that Sealion is necessarily a "maritime adventure that could never have happened."
I must admit the reviews I read of that book very much put me off getting it. All I had previously seen about it indicated he was, if you will pardon the expression, very badly out of his depth in all things naval and maritime. The reviewers also highlighted his tendency to just wave away or ignore problems, for instance despite acknowledging that the German plans required a minimum 5knot speed for the landing forces and that the towed barges that made up most of the invasion force could at best do 3 knots (if there was no adverse tide/current) he then states the plan would have worked. Or his claim that nailing a couple of MG34s to a barge made it a 'threat' to British light forces who would be too scared to intervene. Or that the Stukas that were withdrawn from the Battle of Britain due to heavy losses and little impact would somehow become deadly during Sealion because the German plan said they would. Overall the reviewers indicated that it was a book where the author came up with a conclusion and then worked backwards cherry picking evidence to support it and ignoring inconvenient facts.

I do wonder though if that is a bit harsh and this is perhaps a case of "if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you", he has spent so long studying the Wehrmacht that he has absorbed some of their attitudes - the complete ignoring of logistics, a belief the other services will do what their plan needs (with zero knowledge of their capabilities or their own plan) and such a deep misunderstanding of amphibious and naval warfare that they view it as a large river crossing and not the major operation it actually was.

• 2Like
Reactions:
The issue that I have with those reviews are of how I'd imagine that the majority of them have absolutely no concept of actual operations. They have their preconceived notions and the "big picture" views and so when presented with actual experience of the "little guys" (using both sides after action reports to get a very clear picture of the lowest levels of naval engagements at basically the brown water navy level) and how quite literally they were super ineffective. Combined with an actual review of the naval deployments (that, effectively, there was nothing heavier than a destroyer squadron in the area of the proposed landing zone), leads to a deeper understanding of bringing enough force to the right point. The obverse is obvious: the Germans assume Pas de Calais because it's how they would do it/how they planned it, but they still have to cover an entire bloody coastline because they do not have the initiative to dictate where the fight begins.

Is he a bit harsh on Churchill? Probably. Churchill got to write his history, and so made himself a bit of a hero and probably a bit better than he actually deserved. Is he a bit lighter on the Germans? Maybe. He makes a good argument that the Germans leadership at the tactical to operational level were highly motivated, and quite handy at taking initiative in the moment. Forczyk is super keen on pointing out that British armored doctrine was not fully developed, that they had numerous issues with it.

In the end, it's worth a read, if only to challenge the clearly wide-held belief that Sealion just "wouldn't work." Forczyk is a good read for all of his works: my intent was to reread them in order (Poland, France, Sealion, Russia). It's a big ask, but I think it's worth it.

• 2Like
Reactions:
A spirited defence sir with some strong arguments. Unfortunately I must confess a revisionist, Brit-bash written by a wheraboo sounds the sort of book that would at best irritate me, it not worse. Maybe it is not quite that bad but your description matches up with the reviews in general direction, if perhaps not in the degree of generosity extended to the author and his intent.

In any event the Pipettes and work mean I haven't got the time to read books I think I will enjoy, so I hope you will forgive me if I give these works a miss. :)

• 4Like
Reactions:
Just a quick comment here as time ticks down to my next venture into the definitely non Wehraboo world of revisionist alt-history that is the Quick and Dirty (Slower and Cleaner) AAR franchise! Some interesting OT digressions this time, which I’ll let speak for themselves in the time-honoured way, but I will do more detailed AAR-related comment feedback in due course.

RL has been busy of late (peak cricket season continues, house-buying for one of the kids by the Bank of Mum and Dad just concluded yesterday and the Rome AAR being played and updated in between) so the next update may not happen at once, but it will happen. :)

• 5Like
Reactions:
Gah, a house courtesy of the BMD? I had to drag out the Veterans Affairs agency for mine! Lucky ducks! My congratulations to the younger Bullfilter on the homeownership!

Take your time!

• 3Like
  • 1Love
  • 1Haha
Reactions:
Well, he is on a disability pension (so would never have been able to afford one himself) and will still have to get a couple of flatmates and pay rent to help pay it off, but it means he gets a guaranteed roof over his head and pays the rent effectively to Da Fam rather than Da Man! :D A way of doing some advance redistribution of intergenerational wealth and giving us all some peace of mind.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Will turn to comment feedback here in due course (while mentally compartmentalising a highly fictionalised WW2+ Soviet HOI3 AAR from the horrible events currently occurring in Ukraine). But in the meantime ...

A community announcement, last couple of days to vote in the The 2021 Yearly AARland Year-end AwAARds graciously hosted by @coz1 (he extended the deadline to Tuesday 1 March).

As always, no expectation to vote for one of my AARs - and there are plenty of different categories to votes for. It can sometimes be hard to decide which one to put an AAR in (for example, I see all my AARs as primarily 'Gameplay', though some also have major narrative elements). All authAARs recognised with a vote will greatly appreciate the effort.

Last edited:
  • 2Like
  • 1Love
Reactions:
(North Vietnam, if you will, with Hanoi as the provincial capital) now lay in Soviet hands,
How completely unpredictable and certainly in no way reminiscent of any kind of, ahem, "real life"... :p

Another benefit of HoI4 is the lack of stupid maritime adventures that couldn't have happened in reality because they were...

...stupid.

No one is getting that deep into the Baltic. Ugh.
This is more of a vanilla problem than a HoI3 intrinsic problem since the devs did not properly block off the straits around Denmark, I think. It's easily fixed in multiple mods for example.

I feel like I brought it up before, but Forczyk's We March Against England was--in my opinion--fairly revealing that the Germans did very well to come up with a from-scratch amphibious capability in mere months. Given the state of the Royal Navy (and their deployments) combined with accurate reviews of post-action reviews of hits and ships sunk during surface actions given similar conditions as would be expected, I have to come down mostly on Forczyk's side that the Germans probably could have wrangled the crossing, at least some of it. It would definitely have been on the shoestring, and Science knows that we're all better for the Brits not having to turn England itself into a battlefield, but I can't say that Sealion is necessarily a "maritime adventure that could never have happened."
Not being a historian who has deeply studied this particular little slice of the war, my personal take is that they could have probably made the crossing happen if they really wanted to and committed to it, in the manner described in this comment and the following discussion, but it would have been a disaster overall as the Germans frankly would not have been able to successfully leverage this crossing into a full successful invasion. Ability to continue supplying the initial landing and widen it into a full-scale invasion seems doubtful at best, even if tactically the British Army may still have been outmatched at this time I don't think the Germans would be bringing enough numerical force to bear and supporting it to actually destroy the British forces.

Then again, ignoring logistical challenges on the basis of presumed tactical invincibility was indeed the Nazi way.

I must admit the reviews I read of that book very much put me off getting it. All I had previously seen about it indicated he was, if you will pardon the expression, very badly out of his depth in all things naval and maritime. The reviewers also highlighted his tendency to just wave away or ignore problems,
Tendencies shared with the subjects of the work, one notes.

Will turn to comment feedback here in due course (while mentally compartmentalising a highly fictionalised WW2+ Soviet HOI3 AAR from the horrible events currently occurring in Ukraine). But in the meantime ...
I don't envy yourself or for that matter our good friend @roverS3 trying to maintain Soviet AARs at the present time - certainly if either of you felt like taking a break from such sensitive subject matter no one would hold it against you.

• 3Like
Reactions:
I don't envy yourself or for that matter our good friend @roverS3 trying to maintain Soviet AARs at the present time - certainly if either of you felt like taking a break from such sensitive subject matter no one would hold it against you.
The thought had crossed my mind. But people still seem to delight in writing Germany AARs despite what they did in WW2 ... I remain a bit conflicted on this. I think I'll at least see through the current game month, as it is played through and partly completed, but will see how the vibe is feeling when I come to it. :confused:

Last edited:
  • 2Like
Reactions:
The thought had crossed my mind. But people still seem to delight in writing Germany AARs despite what they did in WW2 ... I remain a bit conflicted on this. I think I'll see through the current game month, as it is played through and partly completed, but will see how the vibe is feeling. :confused:

I'd imagine that we, the readers, separate the game universe from our current unpleasantness. It might be fresh to sting about rooting for the player's nation, but I'm sure we'll be professional.

• 2Like
Reactions:
I'd imagine that we, the readers, separate the game universe from our current unpleasantness. It might be fresh to sting about rooting for the player's nation, but I'm sure we'll be professional.
This is a problem El Pip, at least, will not greatly struggle with, given his personal rooting tendencies - a word I use, I must emphasize for our Aussie commentaAARs, in the American sense!

That aside, I do think with Germany there is some element where "enough time" has passed that we can separate the horrors of the past from the strategic gameplay of the present - although the wisdom of this is perhaps questionable given how many others, shall we say kindly, struggle to do so... At any rate, the present world situation is rather more fresh and immediate, certainly no one can be faulted if cheering for the Russian side even in a fictional WWII universe causes some dissonance in the moment.

• 1Like
Reactions:
I'd go with however you're feeling after the next update. I agree with Wraith that we're all professional, and I don't know if anyone has really been rooting for the Soviets in this AAR anyways. I'm rooting for Bullfilter, but I don't feel anything toward the USSR, it's just the context to the strategic situation for me.

• 1Like
Reactions:
This is a problem El Pip, at least, will not greatly struggle with, given his personal rooting tendencies
In this, as with so many other things, I remain ahead of the game.
DYAEiOu.gif

I remain a bit conflicted on this.
I think you are correct to see how you are feeling about writing and playing this. If you were to put this AAR on hold for a while, wrap it up (perhaps in a quick and dirty manner ;) ) or flip sides again to see if you can push back the Soviet hordes while herding the cats of your allies that would be entirely understandable.

But equally if you find yourself settled that this is just a game and has no connection to outside events, then carrying on is an entirely reasonable option.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Some comment feedback for those I hadn't already responded to along the way. I've left the Sea Lion/Book side discussion largely stand on its own. I'll just say I was an interested observer.

My own 'gut feeling' view on Sea Lion is that it would probably have turned rather like a British version of their foray into Russia: initial success in the first shock of the landing (assuming they got ashore) then poor logistics and other preparation, lack of air superiority and British naval dominance of the Channel would have resulted in them losing a large amount of men eventually cut off and destroyed.

And I wonder, as a complete hypothetical, if it had looked like succeeding, whether the US would have just stood by and let the UK be wiped out by the Germans. They may well have decided to intervene in the war earlier than they did if the British did start to falter, but not too quickly. Unlike Russia in the Ukraine situation now, the Germans didn't have nukes to discourage that form of escalation.

Anyway, that being a grim but useful segue ...
I also think that the NU effect decreases as more nukes are employed.
If I remember correctly its X percent per bomb. So one nuke per (liberated) nation should be enough now.
Stalin will be husbanding them for now, I think.
Do you think the Germans are shifting all their forces toward the homeland? I could see the men that are threatening your German front as being pulled out of Poland while the other Germans will take a while to show up.
If not all, then the great bulk of them, it seems, and they may have been on the move for a while, from as far as Turkey. There will be more evidence in the final chapter of the month.
At least they chose somewhere fairly useless. Is there a danger of them trying to land in the Baltics or Leningrad?
A small distraction, if an unwelcome one. I guess they could try those other places, and it would be irritating, forcing the diversion of troops from an already stretched front.
Another benefit of HoI4 is the lack of stupid maritime adventures that couldn't have happened in reality because they were...

...stupid.

No one is getting that deep into the Baltic. Ugh.
Ah well, it's the vanilla game, so these little escapades must be expected. The Allies have staged some far more credible and effective landing ops (eg Japan, especially) earlier.
You say that, yet Operation Sea Lion is possible in HOI4 so clearly they didn't remove every stupid maritime adventure that could never have happened. ;)

As for the update, as expected now "Stalin" is taking more direct control things are improving for the forces of evil. The AI's determination to throw away it's forces on doomed missions remains the Motherland's greatest ally.
I'm not sure I concur with the estimate of the tide of battle even with Stalin's personal control, most particularly in Germany, where Soviet momentum has not only been halted, but the line is beginning to be turned back as more German forces come home.

The encirclement in Poland was useful enough and may free up some units for transfer to Germany, but I think the situation there is getting more difficult. The West may yet stop the Soviet onslaught and force Stalin to the peace table.

The really big game-changer would be the eventual arrival in the west of the great bulk of the tank and mechanised forces that were sent by SR from the Far East after the defeat of China. But they will take a long time to arrive. The first tranche of repatriated units had to be diverted to Central Asia instead, which was on the verge of collapsing a month or two back.
Things are still balancing on the edge in Norther Turkey and in Northern Germany. That said, once that pocket has been consumed, units will be freed up to either turn the tide to the North, or to start a new push in the centre. In Turkey I see things stabilising once the line is shortened a bit and mostly in favourable terrain.
I agree. Freeing some of those units will be useful, for sure, but the nature of the front is that they seem to get absorbed very quickly. And most of them are rifle divisions, so may be more useful for holding the line rather than advancing it. The end of the month will prompt a re-evaluation by the Soviets of whether they have the capacity for a new offensive in the west, and if so where it should be.
The air war is still pretty intense, but the VVS is giving as good as it gets, even wiping out at least one entire wing of German fighters.
Yes, but the air attrition really started to tell at a few points. I think it was a very direct factor in the slowing of the advance in Germany and the beginning of an Allied counter-offensive there. Where the Soviets could maintain pretty much uncontested air superiority in the Polish pocket battle, things went much better.
Vietnam is very unlikely to fail now, though it is going a bit more slowly than expected. The Red Army there seems more hampered by occasional supply issues than Allied resistance.
That theatre continues to go well, though naval ops are always going to be a problem.
Finland is a surprise. It could become a serious problem if the Allies manage to reinforce their two-division landing force. Sending in the VDV to contain the beachhead is the right move, though you probably need at least one more Division, or heavy air support, to actually push them back into the sea.
An unpleasant one, but at least it gave the paratroopers some thing to do. You will see how the next ten days of fighting there developed, so I won't spoil. ;)
I wonder why the Spanish aren't more receptive to a Bolshevik revolution. After all, we helped them defeat those Nationallist pigs, and their 'social' democrat government won't even join the Comintern. It truly is a tragedy. Maybe they will need a helping hand from the Red Army after all?
Go figure! Though the OOC part of me doesn't mind seeing such typical Soviet (Russian) asymmetric ops fail, it is a bit of a disappointment in game terms.
At this rate it's going to take many more months to knock out Germany and liberate Turkey, so who knows when the Red Army will get to Spain.
A very long way off. And I'm not super confident of actually being able to take Germany down any time soon, even with full player control.
How completely unpredictable and certainly in no way reminiscent of any kind of, ahem, "real life"... :p
Very much so! :D
I agree. And this AAR has never been one of those part-narrative 'the Soviets are the heroes' type of pieces anyway. It was more a challenge to see whether, and under what circumstances, a thoroughly bad starting position where one of the other factions has effectively already won the game under player control could be clawed back. No love being invested in Stalin here.
This is a problem El Pip, at least, will not greatly struggle with, given his personal rooting tendencies - a word I use, I must emphasize for our Aussie commentaAARs, in the American sense!

That aside, I do think with Germany there is some element where "enough time" has passed that we can separate the horrors of the past from the strategic gameplay of the present - although the wisdom of this is perhaps questionable given how many others, shall we say kindly, struggle to do so... At any rate, the present world situation is rather more fresh and immediate, certainly no one can be faulted if cheering for the Russian side even in a fictional WWII universe causes some dissonance in the moment.
Yes, a moot point, but even now one I feel conflicted about re Germany (apart from the game-start boosting it seems to get making a standard player-controlled German world conquest both morally odious but also not particularly interesting.
I'd go with however you're feeling after the next update. I agree with Wraith that we're all professional, and I don't know if anyone has really been rooting for the Soviets in this AAR anyways. I'm rooting for Bullfilter, but I don't feel anything toward the USSR, it's just the context to the strategic situation for me.
Thanks, and I appreciate the sentiment: this is an exercise in game play set almost 80 years ago and never some dedication to Soviet/Russian niceness. Especially in them egregiously launching an unwarranted WW3 and trying to nuke their way ahead.
I think you are correct to see how you are feeling about writing and playing this. If you were to put this AAR on hold for a while, wrap it up (perhaps in a quick and dirty manner ;) ) or flip sides again to see if you can push back the Soviet hordes while herding the cats of your allies that would be entirely understandable.

But equally if you find yourself settled that this is just a game and has no connection to outside events, then carrying on is an entirely reasonable option.
Wise advice: perhaps I will try to return to a little more quick and dirty AAR style after this month is over. It only expanded because of the sheer scope of the gameplay and what I thought was a range of interesting stories to be told in various theatres. And the fact it polled well in the recent YAYAs (which it hadn't really done before) as a gameplay AAR makes me feel some self-inflicted personal responsibility for seeing it through.

To All: I think I will carry this on, pretty much as it's been going, as no-one reading it should (or, I'd argue, reasonably could) construe it as being in any way support for Russia in current day events. But if my own view changes, well then the cryogenic tank may be deployed ...

... I'll start writing up the next chapter soon, which will be a shortish one and was already played through and the images edited way back when no-one was even seriously considering any invasion of Ukraine: how quickly events can move! :(

• 2Like
Reactions:
Chapter 50: 22-31 August 1948
Chapter 50: 22-31 August 1948

Note: This is the third and final chapter covering August (the month was all played through in one session). As mentioned above, my thoughts and solidarity are with the people of Ukraine. And the actions of a cold-blooded latter-day despot are not going to derail this AAR, I have decided.

1. Vietnam

A new supply convoy of two transports was authorised to run supplies from Vladivostok to Cam Rahn early on the 23rd. This supplemented those already being shipped to Haiphong and Quang Ngai under the threat of Allied interdiction, leaving five transports in reserve. It was hoped this would allow the drive into southern Vietnam to retain momentum.

The VVS began a heavy bombing campaign (the 4th CAS Group joining the 15th TAC Group) of Saigon which caused very heavy casualties for the US Marine division that was acting under Indo-Chinese command as its garrison. Almost 3,900 men were killed between 0700hr on 23 August and 1300 hr on the 24th.

88Rxue.jpg

Raids on the Indo-Chinese capital were resumed on 26 August (725 casualties) as Soviet ground troops made their way along the coast to Saigon. This effort was then switched to Phnom Sre Prang in Cambodia, where a new concentration of Allied troops had been spotted. But this time, the VVS flyers found themselves in range of British interceptors.

hERq9Z.jpg

More VVS fighters were called in for support, but the bombers had taken some substantial damage.

Despite even more Soviet fighters being brought in, the next raid saw 5 BAD almost destroyed, with the likely enemy staging base being in Thailand at Phet Buri. The bombers were called off mid-raid that night, but the interceptors stayed on to degrade the RAF fighters, which they had done quite successfully by midnight.

mcvexQ.jpg

The Red Army had closed on Saigon by the morning of 29 August and attacked, finding virtually no resistance due to the previous bombing (the US 24th Marines reduced to just 525 men). However, British carrier aircraft did conduct a minor ground attack on 324 SD in Phan Thiet – though two VVS fighter wings were soon mobilised to deal with them.

0kyn28.jpg

As August finished, great strides had been made in the offensive against North (French colonial) and South (independent Indo-China) Vietnam. The Soviets were advancing on but had not yet occupied Saigon. One Thai division was spotted advancing towards Hanoi.

a2vYwz.jpg

2. The Middle East and Central Asia

This front remained mainly quiet during the last part of August as the Soviets stayed on the defensive. An ill-advised Egyptian probe across the Suez Canal on Bîr Gifgafa on 30 August was quickly abandoned.

zbUCC5.jpg

No combat actions were recorded in Central Asia during this period.

3. Turkey

The Soviet supply situation in Turkey had been largely rectified by the start of 23 August as the recent flow of reinforcements from the north bolstered the previously shaky front lines.

JSUYIc.jpg

A large shock attack on Tokat launched on the evening of 25 August found the Bulgarian defenders badly disorganised and unable to put up a real fight. The province had been retaken by the afternoon of the 27th.

SYAzjo.jpg

Meanwhile, the aerial preparation of Kaynar to its south-west was met with Adolf Galland’s three Luftwaffe fighter wings on the morning of the 26th. But the well-escorted VVS bombers saw their mission through, while the German fighters were badly mauled.

The bombing of Kaynar continued through to 30 August, when a new six-division Soviet assault was begun to retake it. By that time, the German and French defenders had been very badly damaged and they were only able to resist for seven hours before they were forcibly ejected.

jfaVfw.jpg

As the month ended, some of the initial Allied gains in central Turkey from earlier in the month had been rolled back a little, while more territory behind the lines had been reclaimed from the nominal French occupation that had followed the Turkish capitulation.

g271Li.jpg

Turkey, the Middle East and Central Asia summary, August 1948.

The Suez line had been re-established and very little had changed in Central Asia, with the Allies taking just one province in eastern Iran earlier in the month.

4. Poland

The reporting period began with the VVS intercepting an attack by two unescorted French CAS wings on Opalenica (north-west Poland), the Red Army defenders remained under a heavy Allied attack [-41% progress].

But in the pocket to the west of Brzesc Litewski, the vice was being tightened. Victory in Wlodawa on the evening of the 23rd saw the surviving 30,000 Allied troops retreating to Luków, which remained under Soviet air bombardment.

EXO5Lr.jpg

To the west of that, a heavy Allied attack on Grojec was making dangerous progress.

24 August saw more heavy fighting, in the air and on the ground, in northern Poland. The day began with the Luftwaffe reaching further east than they had in recent times to intercept three unescorted CAS wings over Luków. Four hours later, the VVS was responding to the same German fighter group over Wlodawa, but this time with heavy Soviet fighter support.

E3KIFI.jpg

By 0700hr, an attack on the three Allied divisions occupying Luków began – as expected, they were badly lacking in supplies by this time. As that battle continued, a Hungarian fighter sortie was intercepted over Kamiena at 1400hr, with one of the enemy wings reportedly destroyed. The arrival of Soviet reinforcements in Grojec had improved the odds of the defenders, though it was still a difficult fight [-60%].

At 1900hr on the 24th, the Soviets prevailed in their great battle to take Opalenica. But when two worn out Soviet divisions occupied it three hours later, a fresh force of over 77,000 Allied troops launched a massive counter-attack which the defenders immediately withdrew from. The Allies would retake the province on the evening of the 25th.

yElteM.jpg

But in the pocket, the Allied defence of Luków failed at midday on 25 August: no battle report was received, but around 19,000 Allied troops were captured. An hour later, the Allies gave up on an expensive new attack they had been making on Deblin to once more try to break through to their beleaguered comrades.

F8NKos.jpg

The Soviets advanced to try to occupy the province before the Allies retreating from Wlodawa could reach it to renew the defence. But by that night some of the Soviet divisions in Biala Podlaska were already boarding trains to Germany, where the extra troops were badly needed.

But the Allied troops retreating into Luków would arrive in three different groups from 0100hr on 27 August to 0800hr on the 28th. The first battle was a ‘no contest’, with 7,580 survivors of the German 29. PzGren and 1st (Mot) British Indian Division surrendering at 0100hr on the 27th.

Soon after, a rash Italian attack on Jaroslaw began, ending only at 1700hr that evening with over a thousand Italian mountain troops killed.

aqZq8v.jpg

As that attack ended, another division – German mountain troops – arrived in Luków, only for the 6,550 troops to surrender when attacked by around 44,000 Soviet soldiers converging from multiple directions.

The process was repeated once more at 0800hr on the 28th, with two German and one French infantry divisions with only 8,936 men left between them arriving and surrendering in Luków when challenged by the Red Army advance guard.

It was all over by 1500hr that afternoon, with Luków occupied and the pocket conclusively eliminated. More units were soon on their way to the German front, where the Soviets were under heavy pressure from the building Allied counter-offensive.

5eXVgw.jpg

The last few days of the month saw continuing heavy combat in northern Poland following the liquidation of the Allied pocket – and it was not all one-sided. A defensive victory was won at Tomaszów, west of Warsaw, on the afternoon of 29 August. But this was followed by a heavy defeat in the week-long battle for Grojec: despite the repeated introduction of reinforcements, the defenders had been unable to hold, the last division withdrawing that night after which the Allies quickly occupied it.

UGiknH.jpg

But the Soviets were not done, themselves launching an immediate counter-attack with three fresh divisions. They would ultimately prove victorious by the evening of the 30th and 203. MSD would retake the disputed province very early on the 31st. Meanwhile, another attack on Deblin was beaten back with heavy Allied casualties, plus help from the VVS bombing the attackers in Radom.

Separately, further to the west the Soviets found victory in their defence of Poznan (Soviets 174/38,336; Germany 1,532/8,998 killed) at 1800hr on 29 August.

The month had witnessed the creation and liquidation of the Allied pocket in the marches west of Brzesc Litewski and the ebb and flow of fighting over Grojec ending in Soviet occupation. This had eliminated many Allied divisions and shortened the line in the North-East Polish sector, allowing some troops to begin shifting west to Germany.

jEOLC1.jpg

5. Germany

In Germany, the Allied German-led counter-offensive remained in progress. A new shock attack on Neuruppin by German forces had begun late on 22 August against four partly-disorganised Soviet defenders. This prompted a quick spoiling attack on Pritzwalk by two Soviet divisions, but that was later called off at 1600hr on the 23rd. In the meantime, the Soviets won a battle to defend Rostock, but only after suffering heavier casualties than their Allied opponents.

Zr75sY.jpg

The heavy fighting ground on over 23-24 August, with two more Allied attacks launched on Waren and Neustrelitz at 1900hr on the 23rd. The first saw the Allies triumph by 2300hr the next day.

Jf7aIr.jpg

Next, the Allies followed up with an attack on Güstrow on the afternoon of the 24th in an effort to further isolate Rostock, while the battle for Neustrelitz would also continue into the 25th, as would the defence of Neuruppin.

The short-lived and ill-fated attempt by the NKVD to infiltrate Germany and undermine its national unity was formally ended at midnight on 24 August when the last spy team there was eliminated.

The Allied onslaught continued over 25-26 August, though Neustrelitz was successfully held by the Soviets at 2200hr on the 25th. But Waren was lost again to the Allies at midnight and the defence of Güstrow abandoned three hours later after they became increasingly isolated and casualties mounted.

dLGdcy.jpg

Next came a new attack on Rostock on the afternoon of the 26th, where there were concerns the troops retreating from Güstrow could be cut off if they did not make it back in time. A Soviet spoiling attack on Waren that afternoon caused the German 255. Infanterie to pull out of the Rostock attack straight away, but concerns for Rostock remained, with Güstrow falling back under German control at 1800hr. The battles for Neuruppin and Rostock continued.

Next came a huge all-German attack further east on Kreuz early on the 27th by seven fresh and full-strength divisions numbering almost 61,000 troops, against two dug-in Soviet infantry divisions with 17,000 men occupying the local fortifications. They were well-positioned [-48% progress], but most of the attackers were armoured formations and the 3-1 numerical disadvantage could prove too much.

A powerful new German attack on Frankfurt an der Oder followed that morning, threatening to cut off Berlin to the east. To counter this news, the latest battle for Waren was won by the Soviets at 1500hr and it was retaken yet again by 2200hr that night.

Jghxlb.jpg

The defence of Neustrelitz continued, but by 1900hr the remaining German attackers were weakening. Another probe on Neuruppin was beaten back by 0600hr on 28 August. The Soviet division retreating from Güstrow was due to arrive in Rostock at 2100hr on the 28th, but in a worrying sign the defence of Rostock had taken a turn for the worse.

Indeed, the battle for Rostock was lost at 0600hr on 28 August and fast-moving German panzer-grenadiers would retake it by midday: the Soviet troops en route from Güstrow had no choice but to surrender.

3aNz9y.jpg

To the west, the fight to defend the Vistula crossing at Kreuz was lost at 2100hr with heavy casualties. Soon after, the Allies were attempting to widen their bridgehead with an attack on Landsberg. The Allies were slowly gaining ground in their attack on Frankfurt an der Oder though Neustrelitz held strong, as the attack there continued.

The loss of Rostock meant German surrender progress was back to just 51%.

There was no let-up in fighting on 29 August, with the first event being the Allied reoccupation of Kreuz early that morning, with an immediate Soviet counter-attack launched against the sole German division that had arrived at that point. The attack would be called off a day later after the arrival of another Allied division. Later that morning, the Allies finally abandoned their attack on Neustrelitz – only to launch a fresh attack an hour later.

wnjaN2.jpg

Worse news followed, with Neuruppin lost to the Allies at midday after the defenders there had been ejected. This further isolated Berlin, whose only remaining lifeline was through Frankfurt. Fortunately, the Soviets won a hard-fought victory there at 0300hr on the 30th. The Allies were now also attacking Stralsund and Waren in the north.

The next phase of the Allied plan began at 0700hr on 30 August, with a heavy attack on Berlin by almost 75,000 mainly German troops, opposed by around 23,500 Soviet defenders. This was accompanied by a simultaneous renewed holding attack on Frankfurt, where some of the defending divisions remained badly disorganised.

P2wIco.jpg

The Battle for Berlin continued into 31 August, with the Luftwaffe sending in unescorted CAS wings to assist. One of them was virtually wiped out by the VVS, but on the ground the odds were beginning to run in favour of the Allies, while the Soviets clung on grimly in Frankfurt.

By 0500hr on the 31st, the reckless German attack on Berlin showed no sign of flagging. Another Soviet victory in Neustrelitz at 0600hr was once again followed up just an hour later by a renewed Franco-German attempt to break through. This time, with the defenders already weakened, the odds were grim. With the grim defence of Berlin beginning to fail and Frankfurt still at risk, at midday the fateful decision was taken to abandon Berlin, the three divisions there falling back rather than risk being cut off and destroyed.

HzFuVt.jpg

One piece of brighter news was the defeat of the Germans attacking Waren, though a single German division had inflicted heavy casualties on a force more than four times their number. This was followed up with a spoiling attack from Waren on Pritzwalk, to see if the desperate defence of Neustrelitz could be aided, as the odds there turned for the worse. To the west, by the end of the day a strong Allied attack on Landsberg to gain another bridgehead over the Vistula was making progress.

The action on the ground was accompanied by several aerial battles, the most significant of which occurred over Meseritz on the evening of 31 August. The VVS was trying to impede the attack on Landsberg with a CAS ground attack, which the Luftwaffe had contested. Two more German wings were thrown into the battle at 2100hr, forcing the interceptors to immediately withdraw when 4. IAD was almost destroyed.

R3rzNP.jpg

As August ended, many of the Soviet gains made in Germany earlier in August had been rolled back; Berlin was still nominally controlled by Stalin, but a large Allied force would soon be back in possession of its ruined former capital. The Allies were on the attack in five provinces stretching from Wronki in the east up to Stralsund in the north-west of the line. The only Soviet attack was a spoiler on Pritzwalk. And the Allies now had a bridgehead over the Vistula at Kreuz. The additional units from northern Poland were still some way off, while any reinforcements from the Far East were weeks away.

Tj8z1d.jpg

Germany and north-west Poland, 31 August 1948. The blue soldier icons show territory that had been held by the Soviets for part of August but then been retaken by the Allies in their counter-offensive.

6. Finland

The small British marine raid in southern Finland had initially taken the port of Hanko unopposed, with the 4th Royal Marines then marching east towards Helsinki, while the recently airlifted paratroopers of 2. Vozd. Div set out west from Helsinki to intercept them: both were headed for the coastal province of Lohja, which sat between the two bases.

The VVS soon began striking the British as they made their way east, the first ground attack on Hanko caused 471 casualties at 0600hr on 23 August. A simultaneous port strike by 3rd Strat Group out of Stettin had basically disabled the facilities in Hanko by 1100hr, hopefully drastically disrupting enemy supply lines.

Another ground attack finishing at 1500hr killed another 311 British marines in Hanko. By 2100hr, the British had arrived first in Lohja, coming under immediate attack by 2. Vozd. Div. They had already been reduced to 85% strength by air attacks even as the battle began. The British remained under heavy VVS attack, with another 824 enemy killed that morning.

uELeZ8.jpg

The Soviet air and ground assault would keep up for the next day, until the marines broke at midday on 25 August, fleeing back towards their start point in Hanko after a tough battle which had seen ground casualties (at least) evenly distributed.

2uVDqY.jpg

The relentless air attack on the 4th Marines had continued on their harrowing retreat to Hanko. By the morning of 28 August, 2. Vozd. Div had caught up with them and began their assault on Hanko. That evening, the three-brigade 1 Vozd. Div had been airlifted into Helsinki after having been picked up and flown over from the Far East.

SuqM8r.jpg

As the Soviets attacked, only 4,300 of the British marines were left: just under 4,000 of them would survive the 27-hour battle to be taken prisoner on the morning of 29 August. The short Finnish campaign was over.

Overall, in the West August had seen a major Soviet victory in front of Brzesc Litewski, but some of the initial gains in Germany and north-western Poland rolled back by the end of the month, with the Allies remaining firmly on the offensive there, led predominantly by the ‘returned’ German Army. The regaining of Hanko had at least restored Soviet control over the Gulf of Finland, with benefits for research and resource production.

nHRpXj.jpg

It remained to be seen whether the short-term transfer of divisions from the liquidated Polish pocket could blunt Allied momentum in Germany. In the longer term, it was unclear whether the later arrival of significant numbers of experienced excess troops repatriated from the Far East would be enough to counteract Allied numbers and industrial superiority in Europe.

7. Research and Production

Just the one research advance was made during the reporting period, which would be useful for the majority of Soviet units but would require a significant IC allocation to support the anti-tank weapon upgrades throughout the Red Army. The next priority would be to improve aero engines to improve the speed of all VVS planes.

8HQaa0.jpg

By the end of August, the majority of the USSR’s IC was sunk in upgrades, then supply, production followed by reinforcement costs. With resource stockpiles all healthy enough and Allied control of the seas, convoy routes had been strictly limited to vital supply lines only, mainly supporting the Vietnam campaign. There were still five spare transports and thirty more in production, plus ten escorts.

EeZ6Ec.jpg

• 4Like
Reactions:
1646806439011.png

Seems like CIA is still blocking the Soviet propaganda. How do you share the pictures? at paradox or at another site?

• 1Like
Reactions:
View attachment 816074
Seems like CIA is still blocking the Soviet propaganda. How do you share the pictures? at paradox or at another site?
Through Imageshack. Have been for the last five years. Not sure what might be wrong, have had no problems myself on pc, iPad or iPhone and no one else has reported any issues. It’s unusual some handshake issue should have persisted so long, in my experience.

Have you maybe tried one of my other AARs to see if you get the same thing happening with them?

• 1Like
Reactions:
Through Imageshack. Have been for the last five years. Not sure what might be wrong, have had no problems myself on pc, iPad or iPhone and no one else has reported any issues. It’s unusual some handshake issue should have persisted so long, in my experience.

Have you maybe tried one of my other AARs to see if you get the same thing happening with them?
I see Eurasias fine this is the only one that doesn't show, might be my ad-blocker? your other AARs are also blocked ... but no other AARS

• 1Like
Reactions:
I see Eurasias fine this is the only one that doesn't show, might be my ad-blocker? your other AARs are also blocked ... but no other AARS
A mystery. I assume up till now, the images were showing up ok. Can’t imagine why this would happen, but I’m no expert on such things. Did anything change or get updated recently? Can you switch it on and off to see if has any effect?

Also, here’s a test of an earlier picture to see if that’s any different.

pliBkHv4j

To All: anyone else having these issues or have an idea what it could be?

• 1Like
Reactions:
As mentioned above, my thoughts and solidarity are with the people of Ukraine. And the actions of a cold-blooded latter-day despot are not going to derail this AAR, I have decided.
Vur ha! Which we can I think still say without feeling too guilty about it.

The Red Army had closed on Saigon by the morning of 29 August and attacked, finding virtually no resistance due to the previous bombing (the US 24th Marines reduced to just 525 men).
...ouch. Ouch. That's some air power right there, for sure...

At 1900hr on the 24th, the Soviets prevailed in their great battle to take Opalenica. But when two worn out Soviet divisions occupied it three hours later, a fresh force of over 77,000 Allied troops launched a massive counter-attack which the defenders immediately withdrew from. The Allies would retake the province on the evening of the 25th.
As long as the front is at least a back-and-forth instead of a full retreat, things are not too bad.

It was all over by 1500hr that afternoon, with Luków occupied and the pocket conclusively eliminated. More units were soon on their way to the German front, where the Soviets were under heavy pressure from the building Allied counter-offensive.
Reinforcements are always appreciated.

The short-lived and ill-fated attempt by the NKVD to infiltrate Germany and undermine its national unity was formally ended at midnight on 24 August when the last spy team there was eliminated.
Next time they should try the direct approach in the form of the "world-famous" NKVD motor rifle divisions!

Next came a huge all-German attack further east on Kreuz early on the 27th by seven fresh and full-strength divisions numbering almost 61,000 troops,
Given that 61,000 / 7 is less than even 10,000, I would question "full-strength" if not for my familiarity with the absurdly small troop strength numbers represented in vanilla HoI3. Sighs in Paradox...

By 0500hr on the 31st, the reckless German attack on Berlin showed no sign of flagging. Another Soviet victory in Neustrelitz at 0600hr was once again followed up just an hour later by a renewed Franco-German attempt to break through. This time, with the defenders already weakened, the odds were grim. With the grim defence of Berlin beginning to fail and Frankfurt still at risk, at midday the fateful decision was taken to abandon Berlin, the three divisions there falling back rather than risk being cut off and destroyed.
Unfortunate news, seems like the war will be going on for a while yet. Germany seems to still benefit from their usual technological lead with no manpower shortage yet in sight.

I have no problem viewing any images in this AAR. That said, personally I avoid the old hosting sites like ImageShack, if I need to host images for an AAR I use Imgur which is quite reliable in my experience. Since it is more of a social-oriented site than ImageShack et al, availability of images tends to not get restricted by hand-wavey claims about "bandwidth limits". That being said, again I have no problems here so I cannot say anything about what might be the issue for Surt or anyone else who comments.

• 2Like
Reactions: