Protect the Straits in Hearts of Iron IV: Battle for the Bosporus on October 15th

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Some of the things you have in the focus trees should have been part of the decisions system, it's like you totally forgot about that game mechanic or something?

Reactions:
Solid point. Maybe the Soviets could get a National Spirit that gives them a huge ORG bonus under certain circumstances? Or, more generally, give any nation that is the head of a faction a major ORG bonus once they are more than a certain percentage of the way towards capitulation? That way, it could also be used to model things like British resistance in 1940, or near-fanatical Japanese defenses at Iwo Jima and Okinawa. It could kick-in at around 50% of the way towards capitulation, and maybe disappear again at 90% to avoid overdoing it.

Part of the problem is that a lot of these things centered around warcrimes (or in the case of Japan, fear thereof). This is something that Paradox has made it very clear that (for good reason) they will not be representing. You could maybe get close with USSR in that if Germany uses the "harshest" occupation policy (or something similar), a national spirit kicks in for the USSR that makes them incredibly hard to defeat. Still, it would be so easy for a player to work around that it would be effectively the same as an OP Germany that is being complained about: just don't use those occupation policies. But for Japan, it isn't so simple. Part of the ferocity of their resistance was the fear that the US would commit war crimes against them, almost as severe as what they were committing. There were definitely religious elements and such that contributed, but I don't see a way to work that into the game any better than what is already there, with focuses like "spiritual mobilization."

• 1Like
Reactions:
Part of the problem is that a lot of these things centered around warcrimes (or in the case of Japan, fear thereof). This is something that Paradox has made it very clear that (for good reason) they will not be representing. You could maybe get close with USSR in that if Germany uses the "harshest" occupation policy (or something similar), a national spirit kicks in for the USSR that makes them incredibly hard to defeat. Still, it would be so easy for a player to work around that it would be effectively the same as an OP Germany that is being complained about: just don't use those occupation policies. But for Japan, it isn't so simple. Part of the ferocity of their resistance was the fear that the US would commit war crimes against them, almost as severe as what they were committing. There were definitely religious elements and such that contributed, but I don't see a way to work that into the game any better than what is already there, with focuses like "spiritual mobilization."
Good point, but my system has a built-in way to get around the issue of the Things That Will Not Be In The Game. In my system, this bonus would kick-in for ANY faction leader that reaches 50% capitulation. So, for example, if France goes ahistorical and forms the Little Entente, they would be eligible for this buff too. I realize that it's obviously somewhat "gamey", but I think it would be a good way to help prevent major powers from folding too quickly.

Good point, but my system has a built-in way to get around the issue of the Things That Will Not Be In The Game. In my system, this bonus would kick-in for ANY faction leader that reaches 50% capitulation. So, for example, if France goes ahistorical and forms the Little Entente, they would be eligible for this buff too. I realize that it's obviously somewhat "gamey", but I think it would be a good way to help prevent major powers from folding too quickly.

Ah, okay, I didn't get that part. Although my personal preference would be to leave open the surprise factor for major powers being able to fold really fast, and fix the problem with them actually doing so regularly with combat and production mechanics rather than state mechanics, if that makes sense.

• 3Like
Reactions:
Ah, okay, I didn't get that part. Although my personal preference would be to leave open the surprise factor for major powers being able to fold really fast, and fix the problem with them actually doing so regularly with combat and production mechanics rather than state mechanics, if that makes sense.
Agreed. Fortunately, it seems that the devs are aware that this is an issue and are working on it.

• 2Like
Reactions:
Is the DLC worth getting?
It depends. This DLC really only adds content specific to Greece, Turkey, and Bulgaria. If you want to play as any of those countries, get it. If you don't, it's probably not worth it.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Is the DLC worth getting?
I wouldn't recommend it. The new focus trees are bad. Way too complicated in the non-fun way, not intuitive at all. And you need to spam a lot of decisions to progress and not make your country fall apart. Greece is the only one with a decent focus tree. It's not great, just not as a bad as Bulgaria and Turkey.

I wouldn't recommend it. The new focus trees are bad. Way too complicated in the non-fun way, not intuitive at all. And you need to spam a lot of decisions to progress and not make your country fall apart. Greece is the only one with a decent focus tree. It's not great, just not as a bad as Bulgaria and Turkey.
If you're interested in these three countries, than it's definitely worth getting, as the new focus trees are really fun. There are some minor problems with the new focuses, but overall it's a good DLC to extend your experience.

Nice to get some differing opinions. I was actually wondering how these new focuses influence how the AI plays these nations. Do you see it as a significant step up from generic focuses, or does it cause the AI to go wonky? Also, when the AI plays these nations, how does it impact playing as other relevant countries? More/less pleasant overall?