• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
It's a minor thing, but the designation as 'new' seems to be set for almost every forum and tile including titles that are rumored to get sequels already ^^

View attachment 1098003

The designation "new" just means that there are posts you haven't read yet ;)

It is "there are new posts in here" not "this is a new forum/game" :)

Reactions:
While on the subject of NEW notices. I'd like to configure them so that they ignore subforums, or better yet, keep track of some subforums but ignore others. Is that possible or something that could be added to the forum?

• 1Like
Reactions:
While on the subject of NEW notices. I'd like to configure them so that they ignore subforums, or better yet, keep track of some subforums but ignore others. Is that possible or something that could be added to the forum?
Well, you can subscribe to entire subfora.
Then you go to the subscribed fora page
Ans you'll then see if there's new posts or not based on if its title is blue or not.

Well, you can subscribe to entire subfora.
Then you go to the subscribed fora page
Ans you'll then see if there's new posts or not based on if its title is blue or not.
I can click Follow on EU4 forum. But it seems that also adds all the subforums, eg bug reports, as followed. I don't see a follow or unfollow button on those. What I would like is NEW or something similar when there's something new on the main forum or some of the subforums, but not have it for all the subforums.

But yeah, I can just look manually thru the subforums I want.

Any chance of allowing players to customize which game subforums are visible on the main page or being able to rearrange them to our preferences?

Alternatively you can simply subscribe to/"follow" them and see them by
- scrolling down the main page just a bit (with the exception there of OT forums, apparently).
- clicking on Watched or Account Name - Watched Threads -Watched Forums

Alternatively you can simply subscribe to/"follow" them and see them by
- scrolling down the main page just a bit (with the exception there of OT forums, apparently).
- clicking on Watched or Account Name - Watched Threads -Watched Forums
Could there be a less intuitive way to subscribe (to anything) than having to add something to the URL? Clickable buttons FTW!

It might be high time to add 5th or even 6th "sticky" slot to the Featured Content.

1712218205005.png

Paradox in the recent years has grown and has multiple games under it's wings and many games don't get to be featured there or are featured for short time. For example Millennia got a Post-release Dev Diary and a Patch yesterday and it did not get featured due to 3 other updates/DDs. With Thursdays being busy with both Victoria 3 and Stellaris - even if it were to be featured it would quickly lose it's spot there.

Reactions:
Hi, can I make a request
Would it be possible to add a feature to the forum where you can add a new section to a thread, to be used when reviving dead threads, so that when people click on it it goes to your new header post instead of the old header post (but still having the old discussion behind it, so clicking on the thread (or rewind back to lead post) directs you to like page 6, you can then rewind further to the original lead post)

Hi, can I make a request
Would it be possible to add a feature to the forum where you can add a new section to a thread, to be used when reviving dead threads, so that when people click on it it goes to your new header post instead of the old header post (but still having the old discussion behind it, so clicking on the thread (or rewind back to lead post) directs you to like page 6, you can then rewind further to the original lead post)
In most cases you should net revive old threads exactly for that reason that the old discussion might be obsolete.
Thread Necromancy is in general frowned upon and thus against the rules. There are exemptions (especially in the "Fun Forums") but in most cases creating a new thread is the right course of action.
You can always create a new thread and link the old thread in your OP.
This is, in general, also valid for bug reports. Bug reports are most often tied to a specific game version which is included in the OP. So if a bug persists over several versions it's in most cases better juts to create a new bug report thread.

Besides of that there's always the "Jump to new" button which leads you to first post you haven't read yet. The forum software considers all posts beyond a specific age (I don't know how long exactly) as "read". So if someone revives a thread sufficiently old that revival post would be considered as the first

1713112130991.png

and you can create threadmarks for easier navigation
1713112649783.png

Reactions:
In most cases you should net revive old threads exactly for that reason that the old discussion might be obsolete.
Thread Necromancy is in general frowned upon and thus against the rules. There are exemptions (especially in the "Fun Forums") but in most cases creating a new thread is the right course of action.
You can always create a new thread and link the old thread in your OP.
This is, in general, also valid for bug reports. Bug reports are most often tied to a specific game version which is included in the OP. So if a bug persists over several versions it's in most cases better juts to create a new bug report thread.

Besides of that there's always the "Jump to new" button which leads you to first post you haven't read yet. The forum software considers all posts beyond a specific age (I don't know how long exactly) as "read". So if someone revives a thread sufficiently old that revival post would be considered as the first

View attachment 1116995

and you can create threadmarks for easier navigation
View attachment 1117003
Isn’t creating multiple threads on the same topic against the rules though?

• 1Like
Reactions:
This is a common rule on many online forums, but apparently not here. (Although I had to reread the code of conduct to be certain.) My guess is that the forum admins prefer duplicate threads to necroposts, and have written the rules accordingly.

---

My interpretation of "don't recreate closed threads" is that it's targeting attempts to circumvent moderator actions - eg. if a thread is closed due to toxicity, don't recreate it. I don't think it means that you can't create a new thread on the same topic if the other one is 5 years old and was locked by a mod due to necroposting.

Arguably, this part of the code of conduct is a bit vague and could do with some tighter wording to address this situation. (Eg: "However, recreating old threads to avoid necroposting is actively encouraged.")

---

EDIT: In case I'm misinterpreting the code of conduct, I'm very happy for a mod/admin to correct me! (But please still update the code with clarifying language...)

Last edited:
Reactions:
This is a common rule on many online forums, but apparently not here. (Although I had to reread the code of conduct to be certain.) My guess is that the forum admins prefer duplicate threads to necroposts, and have written the rules accordingly.

---

My interpretation of "don't recreate closed threads" is that it's targeting attempts to circumvent moderator actions - eg. if a thread is closed due to toxicity, don't recreate it. I don't think it means that you can't create a new thread on the same topic if the other one is 5 years old and was locked by a mod due to necroposting.

Arguably, this part of the code of conduct is abit vague and could do with some tighter wording to address this situation. (Eg: "However, recreating old threads to avoid necroposting is actively encouraged.")
Thank you, I’m only on the Tinto Talks forum so it might just be a rule there, I think it’s just for if there’s multiple threads on the same topic ongoing

My interpretation.
1. See if there are existing threads on the subject.
2. If there is an existing thread less than five months old and not locked, use it. I believe the forum issues a warning about posting to an old thread if it's older than five months.
3. If there's no existing thread or it's older than five months, start new thread. It's nice to link to the old thread.
4. If there's a locked existing thread, think if the locking reason will apply to your new thread. If yes, do not post. If maybe not, try your luck, perhaps mentioning it in your post. The seriousness of starting a new thread probably lessens proportionally to the age of the locked thread.

Reactions:
Yes and no.
If there's still an active thread about the specific topic you want to talk about then it should be used and it should not be created another thread about basically the same thing.
But your initial question was about "dead" threads in which case the necromancy rule applies.
And of course, what @jonjowett says is also correct. If we closed a thread for any other reason but necromancy please don't just reopen it unless we say so.

And as for the definition of "old" or "dead" threads there's this warning in respective threads:
1713117071539.png

So when you see this, please think twice :)

My interpretation.
1. See if there are existing threads on the subject.
2. If there is an existing thread less than five months old and not locked, use it. I believe the forum issues a warning about posting to an old thread if it's older than five months.
3. If there's no existing thread or it's older than five months, start new thread. It's nice to link to the old thread.
4. If there's a locked existing thread, think if the locking reason will apply to your new thread. If yes, do not post. If maybe not, try your luck, perhaps mentioning it in your post. The seriousness of starting a new thread probably lessens proportionally to the age of the locked thread.
Exactly :)

/edit: tagged wrong person, sorry.
:)

Last edited:
Reactions:
Yes and no.
If there's still an active thread about the specific topic you want to talk about then it should be used and it should not be created another thread about basically the same thing.
But your initial question was about "dead" threads in which case the necromancy rule applies.
And of course, what @Flockingbird says is also correct. If we closed a thread for any other reason but necromancy please don't just reopen it unless we say so.

And as for the definition of "old" or "dead" threads there's this warning in respective threads:
View attachment 1117033
So when you see this, please think twice :)

Exactly :)
Thank you to both of you

• 2Like
Reactions:
I thought you generally could start a new thread on the topic unless the topic was banned.
"It depends". If we just locked a thread due to flame war or whatever then opening it again to continue might not the wisest course of action.