• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
The key is to have a large primary culture pop and enact health care reforms early on to grow it as much as possible. Once the colonies become states, way more primary pops start appearing there and they color your culture map. I had a full-citizenship party in power for a good chunk of the game, but I'm not sure that made a difference.

It's also worth mentioning that it's nigh impossible to do the same if you're playing PDM. The colonial administration decisions/ events stop it happening by assigning a nation with the primary culture of the natives, which prevents them assimilating at all.

It's also worth mentioning that it's nigh impossible to do the same if you're playing PDM. The colonial administration decisions/ events stop it happening by assigning a nation with the primary culture of the natives, which prevents them assimilating at all.

It'd be possible to not fire the decision to assign the cores, but there's still the loads of native cores on Africa off of NNM I guess. Luba Kuba Nuba Fupa Fupa and the likes, and most of West Africa aswell.

AE864D863F187B565EB2587104D8B4245E059127
Had a huge amount of colonial possessions that go went from Arabia to Southeast Asia. Owned almost all of India. This was back when I first got the game and thought Victoria II was all about conquering shit. I ignored the industrialization aspect back then. Oh and I also ignored the infamy limit.

Reactions:
That Uber India is beautiful.

So this is my first proper play through of Australia. Limited reforms keeping the majority of the empire happy, very few rebellions (I had one small 3k rebellion in Java), Australia is at the pinnacle of technological prowess, just a shame it doesn't have the population to fill many factories, nor the assimilation to put them in its colonial states. (Seriously, 'British' is the only accepted culture and has about 17% of the population.) Actually, if anyone could give me ideas as to improve assimilation? That'd be greatly appreciated.

3DCW1mI.png

That Uber India is beautiful.

So this is my first proper play through of Australia. Limited reforms keeping the majority of the empire happy, very few rebellions (I had one small 3k rebellion in Java), Australia is at the pinnacle of technological prowess, just a shame it doesn't have the population to fill many factories, nor the assimilation to put them in its colonial states. (Seriously, 'British' is the only accepted culture and has about 17% of the population.) Actually, if anyone could give me ideas as to improve assimilation? That'd be greatly appreciated.
NA, SA and Oceania already have a bonus to migration and assimilation, so apart from going full citizenship, I don't really know what more you could do.
Culture cores hinders assimilation a lot, making it nigh-impossible. High literacy helps.
Also, conversion and assimilation kinda have opposite factors (assimilation like pop with their mil lower than 7 and luxury needs filled, but conversion gets boost when they're angry and can't feed themselves).
http://www.victoria2wiki.com/Assimilation

Most likely the problem is low immigration, not low assimilation. The only way you can solve that is by beating down the USA into a monarchy/dictatorship before 1850. I'd imagine it'd be difficult to do as Australia, though.

Assimilation does not happen in colonies. This means that if you conquer Sumatra, assimilation will not start before you make it into a state. Java will be next to impossible to assimilate due to the Javanese cores there.

I did initially set up a migration NF in Java but there was no change. Even in Brunei it made no difference. All I want is to build some oil refineries in Brunei. :(

Also since that pic I managed to take the iron (or was it steel) producing regions of Korea, so yay me.

Assimilation does not happen in colonies. This means that if you conquer Sumatra, assimilation will not start before you make it into a state. Java will be next to impossible to assimilate due to the Javanese cores there.
There is assimilation in colonies.
9702769AA324B755ED3800E6CFDB24C6AE16FA9D

But yeah, the javanese cores will mostly prevent you from assimilating them.

Isn't it so pops in the Americas and Oceania can only move to colonies if they're on the same continent. I've never had colonial migration outside of my own continent when playing as Australia or any American country.

Isn't it so pops in the Americas and Oceania can only move to colonies if they're on the same continent. I've never had colonial migration outside of my own continent when playing as Australia or any American country.
Hm, dunno about that. It's true that they're probably more attracted to your oceanian provinces, but dunno. Try researching some +Colonial Migration techs ?

Is that modded?
That's vanilla for you. No mods. HoD.

That doesn't seem right, as that little menu showing a breakdown of assimilation factors doesn't even show up for colonial pops.
Keep the mouse over the assimilation (in a case where there's assimilation), and it will. The tooltip works like that.
If it's over something with no assimilation, it won't show nothing, but if there is some, it will show the factor. Colonial state has no influence on how the tooltip works, nor on assimilation.

which government flag is that on russia? Fascist?

it seems very red in your world
Facist yes. I occupied the USSR so long in my war with UK they flipped to a democracy, then flipped to facist (since I didn't have ships to invade the mainland, I sat on their allies and colonial possessions to get warscore) France also went Facist for a while years ago but they eventually flipped to a democracy (this is what happens when the US tries to land in Europe without UK on her side).
2D927A1F2C0C9B0A0AA2CCA3DBF4E620E1A2BB7E

Also, UK went red after I kicked their ass, then became GB after I kicked their ass again.

8A79CBA55147AED1AC8F6543D8BB95A01C04793B

69F0E531A4C7052180BD61D456B9F196EC71CD45

00925E0B0489926B71C0B712A7C8E24AE391A037

Keep the mouse over the assimilation (in a case where there's assimilation), and it will. The tooltip works like that.
If it's over something with no assimilation, it won't show nothing, but if there is some, it will show the factor. Colonial state has no influence on how the tooltip works, nor on assimilation.

That doesn't seem right. When I hover over a pop in a state, it shows a breakdown even if that pop has "no current assimilation." I get nothing when I hover over a colonial pop. I also get no assimilation in any of my colonies, but once I turned them into states, I got assimilation.

That doesn't seem right. When I hover over a pop in a state, it shows a breakdown even if that pop has "no current assimilation." I get nothing when I hover over a colonial pop. I also get no assimilation in any of my colonies, but once I turned them into states, I got assimilation.
Ah, yes, there's the tooltip over a pop with no assimilation or with no valid target. Nothing if it's the primary culture though.
As for colonies, just check USA and it's colonies. You can bet there's assimilation, sometimes, it's 100% yankee and still a colony since the AI doesn't NF bureaucrats. Load it early game and look at Michigan, e.g. there's some irish there that get assimilated.

Nl9eCft.png

My Japan game in 1920, I'm not going to bother going further because I'm pretty much invincible at this point. Currently around 47% of the pops are Japanese, and almost all of my non-colonial states all full of factories. I only managed to get number 2 GP spot, because Germany's industry was bigger than the UK's and USA's combined after forming Germany in 1918 and conquering Bohemia+Slovakia in the last Great War. I had about 189 Dreadnoughts, and around 140 brigades with 200 more in production because I was planning on getting a Great War going with Germany but never got around to it. The USA actually conquered Alaska via Great War and then took part of Canada while Britan was busy with Germany+Italy in Europe. Qinghai actually westernized and made all the other Chinese substates become independent and making all of China western. Was a little bit scary to see until I got Gas Attack. Korea and Inner Manchuria I only conquered in 1910 because I was good on Coal and Iron for a while until I made a load of factories for my tanks, planes, and cars. Dai Nam and Luang Prang were conquered in 1870 and 1880 respectively. Brunei was my first conquest in 1853 while still partially western. The Chinese states I have I got from many many wars from 1878 to present day.

Burma, Siam, Cambodia, Mongolia, and Communist New Zeeland are all in my sphere. I was originally allied with the USA, but after I colonized Wake Island they broke it because it was their core (I had no idea Wake was there core before actually). I now can't get it back because I have 70 infamy. This was quite a fun game, but I'm dissapointed with my conquests and I'm going to try again. This was played using only Victoria II, AHD, and HOD. No mods.