Possibility for an espionage operation to see if an empire has certain key technologies?

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Databug

Corporal
18 Badges
May 8, 2016
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • Stellaris: Humanoids Species Pack
  • Stellaris: Nemesis
  • Stellaris: Necroids
  • Stellaris: Federations
  • Stellaris: Lithoids
  • Stellaris: Ancient Relics
  • Stellaris: Megacorp
  • Stellaris: Distant Stars
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Stellaris
  • Magicka
This suggestion is based on an experience I just had in my current game. I just defeated the Enigmatic Fortress in a system that is not only right in the middle of my empire, but also contains a wormhole that connects to a rival who is also part of a large and powerful federation. Obviously this is a major security issue and I'll be building a military citadel in that system as fast as possible, but I still don't even know if that rival has access to wormholes yet.

I was wondering if the new espionage system could contain a way to see if another empire has access to certain key technologies, such as wormhole stabilization and jump drives, that can dramatically alter warfare and how you lay out your starbases as well as where you position your fleets to best respond to a possible war declaration.

In my view, empires would try to keep development of those game-changing technologies under wraps, similar to the Manhattan Project. That being said, a well developed spy network would notice that the empire they're monitoring is up to something big and would make efforts to discover what they're researching. I know that the steal technology operation is already confirmed, but it's one thing to receive a random tech and another to get a hint of what the enemy is capable of even if you don't meet the prerequisites to be able to steal that tech. Obviously you can see what kinds of weapons an empire has access to just by scanning their ships, but a ship doesn't need a special component to travel through a wormhole, and by the time a fleet with jump drive capability gets close enough to use it, it might already be too late to respond if you don't know they have it.

Reactions:
Yes