• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Rome 527-543 AVC

2791316335_af4ee49d4b.jpg

"The 3rd Punic War"

With all of Carthage's islands seized in the 2nd Punic War, Rome now set its sights on Iberia. The 3rd Punic War began with an outright declaration of war. Due to the relocation of the Roman capital, to the far less civilized province of Apulia, Rome now needed a causi belli to attack Carthage. But the Roman senate knew assassination would not work.

So Rome would have to take a stability hit, which they recovered in short order. The Carthaginain Navy showed great courage by engaging the Roman fleet. Although they were terribly outnumbered they fought bravely. But they would not have victory. Roman armies swarmed Iberia, overwhelming the Carthaginian defenders.

Carthage had one shining victory in the war, they had turned back the Roman sea borne invasion of Carthage. But that one victory would be shortlived. For soon after the Romans would return and in greater numbers. The second time they took the capital of Carthage, although this time around the capital was lightly defended.

But Carthage's main army was enroute to liberate their recently lost capital, or so they thought. The Roman general had learned his lesson, and would not risk another Carthaginian victory. The roman general had his finest assassins lie in wait for the approaching Carthaginians. As soon as the battle for Carthage began the Carthaginian general was assassinated and with no leader Carthage's main army was cut to pieces.

Soon after the capital fell. With Carthage's army destroyed Rome landed their auxilleries in every coastal province east of Carthage. As one province fell after the other, Carthage bowed to Rome's will and ceded all of their Iberian provinces. Victory!

"Carthage Invades Britain"

Just when Rome thought they had broken the will of the Carthaginian people, they were surprised to discover Carthage's invasion of Britain. Rome realizes that conducting war in the far reaches of the world will be an inconvenience. But if there is one thing that cannot be questioned, it is Roman resolve.

Phyrric New Year's?

What do you want to do about next week? With that end of the year thing happening later in the evening, it might be hard to squeeze in a session on Wednesday. How about another Tuesday night session?

New Year

What do you want to do about next week? With that end of the year thing happening later in the evening, it might be hard to squeeze in a session on Wednesday. How about another Tuesday night session?

Another Tuesday night session sounds good to me. I was thinking the same thing.

Tuesday works for me.

Carthage 527-543 AVC: Third Punic War

As the peace treaty with Rome neared its expiration, Carthage sought ties with the only powers capable of deterring Rome: Egypt and the Seleucid Empire. Although Carthage sent its best ambassadors to their courts, they were no match for the cunning and silver tongued diplomats of the East, who were practiced in the art of giving polite replies while avoiding the firm handshake of agreement. The Egyptians claimed internal problems and a need for caution, whereas the Seleucid court was a study in aloofness that issued only the vaguest proclamations in response to the Carthaginian's straightforward and earnest appeals: the Seleucid people were content, they were happy, they were peaceful, they wished the Carthaginian and Roman people peace, they wished the world peace, they wished the Armenians peace... in their graves.

Their litany of peaceful wishes might someday have come to an end, but the Carthaginian diplomats could not linger long enough to find out. Instead they returned home to prepare as best they could for the inevitable Third Punic War, the war that they feared would end Carthage for all time. Their strategy was simple: assemble as large an army as possible in their most defensible province, Carthage itself. Though both time and resources were short, they managed to raise a respectable force that braced itself and the capital to meet the weight of the Roman invasion.

They did not have to wait long for either the invasion or the vindication of their strategy. The first Roman landing force was soundly defeated and sent back to Rome with the hoots and hollers of the jubilant Carthaginian defenders ringing in their ears. Flushed with their victory, the army left the protective walls of Carthage in the hope of liberating Thaspus from its Roman occupiers. But no sooner had they cleared the gates than a second Roman invasion force landed behind them and sacked the undefended city.

Sobered by the seemingly endless flow of Roman armies into their lands, the Senate sued for peace, offering their entire Iberian holdings. Graciously, the Romans accepted.

Prior, during, and after the war the Senate kept to its settled routine: a new Suffet was elected every two years, with no one faction able to maintain control for more than two consecutive terms. The Hannid family supplied three of the eight suffets, two of which were Populist, the third, Religious. Philosar Ahiromid managed to lead the Civic faction, and himself, to power twice, at both the beginning and end of this epoch.

He and his party match the Carthaginian people's desire to build a better world out of the rubble of war. One of his first initiatives has been to dispatch armies of engineers to help the savage peoples of the far-off Misty Isles enjoy the benefits of belonging to a peaceful and civic-minded republic.

He has also dispatched ambassadors to Rome, Egypt, and the Seleucid Empire in the hope, perhaps vain, of offering Carthage's kind offices to mediate any conflict that might be brewing among them.

AAR Egypt 527-543 AVC

As the year 527 AVC came and went, the King of Egypt, Lydiadas Setnid, found himself ruling over a peaceful nation, however, there was still a great deal of civil unrest among key members of the government, current generals, and current governors. Despite the recent victory over the Carthaginians, Lydiadas was the most unpopular ruler in Egypt's history. He possessed a complete lack of charisma, and was known to be assertive and weakwilled. All these character traits contributed to his utterly dismal popularity rating. Although only 24 years of age (in the year 527 AVC), Lydiadas knew he had to do something to prove to his people that he was worthy of his ascendency to the throne. It would not be long before this opportunity would present itself, twice to be exact.

Lydiadas Setnid spent the majority of this period holding triumphs for his generals that had recently returned from the front, bribing all generals and governors with ambitions of ruling themselves, and putting down numerous peasant rebellions. This continued for years, until finally Lydiadas began to tire of a few bad apples, who never seemed to be satisfied, no matter how many bribes or titles they were given. Lydiadas was smart though, and began to refuse only those with the least amount of means to cause trouble. Furthermore, he focused on maintaining good relations with those that could do the most damage.

His plan worked as intended, as the second civil war in Egypt's history erupted around 540 AVC. The rebels were led by a single general and his small army of only 4,000 militia. Although numerous territories initially joined the cause, the rebellion was quickly put down and order restored. The leader of the rebellion was executed, and all conspirators placed in prison.

However, Lydiadas Setnid's work unfortunately was not finished. He was warned by his advisors to be weary of some of the remaining members in his government. For some of them had been sympathizers to the rebel cause, but were crafty enough not to get caught. Lydiadas began to catch wind of rumors that the current Chief Torturer did not support his son, and chosen heir, Anemhor Setnid, as the proper claimant to the future throne. Despite warnings from his closest advisors that the Cheif Torturer was a high government official, and that replacing him could cause another civil war, Lydiadas thought it impossible since the country had just finished shedding its own blood in the most recent conflict. Who could be so bold?

The answer to that question was Zeteres Peneid, ruler of the current rebels and former Cheif Torturer. Currently, Egypt is experiencing its third civil war, however, just like the second, it appears that it will be put down in short order. The Rebels have only two armies remaining, totaling 2,000 men, and all of their provinces are under siege by the Royal Army. It can be expected that this latest trouble maker will be dealt with similar to the last. With his head on a stake out in a forum somewhere for all to see.

Fortunately for Lydiadas Setnid, these two civil wars and his corresponding displays of competence on the field of battle have led to his highest popularity ratings to date. He currently holds a 38% approval rating, which is 38% more than the 0% he held before. For the first time in his life, now beginning his 40s, people are beginning to become more loyal to his majesty.

Since Egypt spent the great majority of the session dealing with internal struggles, it had to sit and watch as Rome again took advantage of the Carthaginians, and the Seleucid Empire continued to expand. Egypt still maintains a formal alliance with the Seleucids, but both nations stand ready at their shared border to repel an invasion by the other. The truth is, an attack by either side would only favor one nation, and it wouldn't be Egypt or the Seleucids, but rather the mighty Roman Empire. How long these three nations can coexist is anybody's guess.

Last edited:
Session 6 Completed

The 6th installment of the Pyrric Victory Campaign has been completed. Sorry Ken you couldn't join us but you will be happy to know that noone attacked your nation in your absence. Although I can't say that was on purpose. The Seleucid Empire finally attacked Egypt and Rome had a big civil war at the end. Good news for me I finally got Rome back as my capital. The campaign map has been updated as usual. Don't forget to post guys.

AAR Egypt 543-554 AVC

In the year 543 AVC, Lydiadas Setnid was putting down the few remaining Egyptian Rebels participating in Egypt's Third Civil War. The Rebels were down to their final 2,000 men, when suddenly the movement gained massive support and the Royal Army soon found itself taking on some 60,000 men! Lydiadas called on his forces from all across the empire to confront the Rebel Army and had much success in battle after battle. However, each victory came at a great cost in both manpower and morale. Egypt soon found itself with zero reserves and sub-par generals who were exhausted from the constant fighting. Then suddenly Egypt's hopes of restoring the empire were crushed when their ally of many years, the Seleucid Empire, formally ended the alliance. With Egypt's civil war still raging, Lydiadas knew that the Seleucids would soon declare war and that he and his countrymen didn't stand a chance.

As predicted, the Seleucid Empire marched it's armies into Egyptian territory. The war was quick and contained two major battles. The first was fought near Sinai, with the result being a major defeat of the Egyptian's consolidated forces. The Egyptians would then retreat to more defendable province of Alexandria, however, they were again defeated, but this time the battle came down to wire, as the Seleucids turned the tide with a final push that the Egyptians simply could not match. The Egyptian line broke and the remaining men were slaughtered as they attempted to retreat. From there, all of Egypt's land was available for the taking.

However, the Seleucid Empire could only expand so far since the Egyptian Rebels, who numbered in the 60,000 plus, were still in control of most of the western part of the empire. The Seleucids chose not to declare war on the Rebels, therefore, the following provinces were ceded in peace talks: Petra, Judea, Alexandria, Rhodes, Crete, Sparta, and Macedonia.

As fate would have it, a few months after the Seleucids left Egypt's remaining territories, the Third Egyptian Civil War came to end with the Royal Army being victorious due to the fact they were able to hold the new capitol of Sinai. The Rebels' credibility was lost, and the traitors were dealt with accordingly.

Now Egypt has begun the process of rebuilding. A reasonable sized army has already been raised and some provincial improvements have been made. The unpopular Pharoh Lydias Setnid was murdered by an unknown person seeking vengence, and was replaced by his son Ankhmachis Setnid in the year 547. Egypt is again allied with the Seleucids, however, the Egyptians understand that their fate lies in the hands of both the remaining superpowers, Rome and the Seleucid Empire. Will this alliance be a pact a steel, or just another alliance of convenience? Egypt's sincere hopes are for the former and not the latter.

i am going to be late. i was wondering if we could start tom. at 7:00. I really dont want to miss anything this late in the campaign.

What time zone?

I'm fine with that, but do you mean 6:00 p.m. Central Time (30 minutes later than usual)? Are you in the EST time zone?

Starting later is fine. If Ken has to go at at 8pm CST thats ok too. We will just have a shorter session then.

i wont be attending tonite's session. I have a church commitment tonite, so you guys can start on your regular time without me.

GLORY TO SELUCIA

I'm pretty sure I won't have to leave early after all. But should we have a session with Dan at the helm of Seleucia?

Session 7 Postponed

Since Dan was not able to join us this evening we collectively decided to wait until later this week or next Wednesday at the latest to resume our campaign. Since Dan plays a major role in the campaign's outcome we all decided to wait.

Technical Difficulties

I apologize for the inconvenience but I am having problems with my computer. I will not be able to host tonight. Sorry guys.

Host for Tonight

Could someone else get the save file and host?
I don't have the file, and I haven't opened up my ports, so it would take me a little while to get set up.

Which ports do you open?

I apologize for the inconvenience but I am having problems with my computer. I will not be able to host tonight. Sorry guys.

Does that mean no game or you just can't host?

All right, I will hopefully see you all next week.