• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Unfortunately the error message is generated by the payment provider and we can't modify it. I agree that it would make sense for it to be more detailed alas it's out of our hands.

Sometimes you need to activate security features that are dependent on your card:
  • Verified by VISA (for VISA)
  • Mastercard Secure (for Mastercard)
These are not active per default and you need to ask your bank to help you do this. This would lower the fraud rating and reduce the chance of the payment getting denied.

Mastercard SecureCode is definitely enabled on my card. The issue lies somewhere else.

I just tried PayPal - the store doesn't even redirect me to the paypal page, only refreshes back to the first stage of checkout (billing information). No errors, no nothing. Just a refresh.

Attempted a different browser (Chrome instead on Firefox), but on it the store only shows prices in USD and keeps telling me I live in the United States. even though my account account clearly says I don't.

Yup, wasn't holding my breath. A pity, guess I'll have to wait for a Steam sale and pay Valve for being the middleman. And here I was looking forward to a nice weekend of EU4 with all the goodies enabled... :(

Attempted a different browser (Chrome instead on Firefox), but on it the store only shows prices in USD and keeps telling me I live in the United States. even though my account account clearly says I don't.

That sounds like, for one reason or another, that you're routed through a VPN-Proxy ... the exact reasons for this is quite wide through, but you might be able to get somewhere by contacting your Internet provider

That sounds like, for one reason or another, that you're routed through a VPN-Proxy ... the exact reasons for this is quite wide through, but you might be able to get somewhere by contacting your Internet provider
Actually, I just realized the source of the Chrome problem: it has a regional cookie enabled for the purpose of playing KanColle. So yeah, Chrome goofing up the location was a cookie issue on my end.
No such thing on either IE or Firefox though, and the redirect issue is present on both browsers.
I even tried buying the goodies via paypal on my smarthpone, using my carrier's data connection. No dice, still refreshes to the first step - billing info.

I tried this again today after a 36 hour cooldown period with no success-my third attempt in four days. I've given up and have purchased HOI 4 on Steam-without an issue.

I was going to purchase Stellaris and EU IV with several expansions, but I'll wait to buy those until the next Paradox sale. When hopefully whatever current issue is blocking my account is fixed.

I've been having the same issues for the past 3 days. I've purchased stuff before using the same card with no problems whatsoever. I tried waiting 24 hours, both card and PayPal, Chrome and Edge and nothing works. People on Reddit complain about the same issue. Really a shame...

Is this a Sweden thing, where the country has good intentions but... lacking execution? Or is this an issue that is specific to PDX?

I really don't think I've ever had a problem like this making purchases in other countries, in the entire history of, me making purchases.

"Yah, we know eet don' work so good. Nothing we can do 'bout it. Jus' da way it ees."

Seriously?

Reactions:
I've been having the same issues for the past 3 days. I've purchased stuff before using the same card with no problems whatsoever. I tried waiting 24 hours, both card and PayPal, Chrome and Edge and nothing works. People on Reddit complain about the same issue. Really a shame...

Is this a Sweden thing, where the country has good intentions but... lacking execution? Or is this an issue that is specific to PDX?

I really don't think I've ever had a problem like this making purchases in other countries, in the entire history of, me making purchases.

"Yah, we know eet don' work so good. Nothing we can do 'bout it. Jus' da way it ees."

Seriously?
It's not a Sweden thing ;).
Vendors work in different ways and this is why I mentioned that in the original post: you card could work with Steam (for example) and not with us. This has to do with, in part, payment providers and fraud settings. It's unfortunate that customers get stuck in the loop of constantly getting refused/cancelled and we actively work on refining our settings but this is one of the banes of running an online store.

Also, your rendition of Swedish is brilliant, I read it out loud and sounded like the Swedish chef!

Reactions:
Not sure if I am right, but when I try to pay via the Paradox store via PP, it works until PP sends me to some "adyen" site - which then fails seemingly technically:

invalid Request

Unfortunately we were unable to process this request

Damn, using PayPal I was able to sneak a small purchase through a couple of days ago. I was taking my time on deciding on a more substantial purchase, but this time the payment is not being allowed to go through. Hmm.... :/

I guess I can try again in 24 hours, but I have no idea what is different today from a couple of days ago. I have to give props to the payment store for building a highly secure solution. If I can't make a payment with my own credit card, a fraudster is sure to a hard time. Secure to the point of near uselessness. Perhaps that should be their slogan!

I got this error message a few minutes ago, and called my bank. They told me they did receive and approve the transaction from Paradox, and were asked and did confirm my address was correct, but that Paradox immediately reversed the transaction for no apparent reason.

This is a very frustrating customer experience.

When your product development and marketing efforts are good enough to make a customer decide to make a purchase, but your system for ordering and collecting money prevents a non-fraudulent customer from closing the deal, that is a critical emergency for your business. You need to fix this.

Now that the reality of this situation is better understood, I have to marvel at how polite the message from TinyWiking is on this topic. I imagine that version that he wanted to send was quite different. Permit me to try:

"Hello Paradox fans. We are excited that you want to participate in our summer sale, and that you enjoy our products! It is worth mentioning, however, that our payment provider blows chunks, and you likely will not be able to complete your desired purchase, nor will we be able to fulfill one of our key requirements as a company, to generate revenue. Right on!

This means that this sale has been relegated to little more than a well-intentioned sham. On the off chance that you don't know how to input your own personal payment information, please at least double check you did that right. Of course, we fully expect that you did this correctly the first time around, but there is otherwise little that we can say about this matter short of insulting our payment provider again -- which would be in bad form. In parallel with your inability to complete your purchase, please enjoy an utterly uninformative failure message to heighten your frustration. This is all thanks to an unfortunate decision we made to utilize this particular payment provider (under breath: which we are working to correct).

Now, please excuse me as I go cry, thinking about all the money that we are hemorrhaging as a company, and that year end bonus that I can now kiss goodbye!"

Got the error message on both of my Paradox accounts using two different cards on two different computers, all of which have purchased with out issue before hand.

No offense but having a website able to process purchases is not a bane of running an online store its a basic requirement. One that 90 year old grandmothers selling soap carvings are able to set up with out issue. If this was due to the volume of sales cause issue or an outage causing issues it would be annoying but stuff happens. But its the bane of running an online store? Really?

I just don't get how nonchalant y'all are about losing sales. We would have people working in 24/7 to get something like this resolved where I work and we don't have any where near your volume.

I too, am unable to purchase from your website, using two different cards and accounts. I have had NO problems with any other website, international or no, and the 24 hour cooling off period is ridiculous. How does rejecting someone from purchasing from your website simply because a different card didn't go through make ANY sense? It's a great way to upset and lose your customers.

Reactions:
Not sure if I am right, but when I try to pay via the Paradox store via PP, it works until PP sends me to some "adyen" site - which then fails seemingly technically:

invalid Request

Unfortunately we were unable to process this request
Adyen is our payment provider and whenever a transaction is processed it goes through their site. Not sure why that error appeared though but I'm willing to bet it was temporary and trying again a little later should work.

So basically I want to give you my money and I can't
I know ><. We want your money, we really do!

I, unfortunately, got hit payment refused like 8 times and I'm not sure what to do. I guess I'll have to wait longer if I want to get the content I want.
I checked it my records, please make sure you enter all details exactly as they are on registered with your bank, seems it was cancelled twice due to incorrect address.

Got the error message on both of my Paradox accounts using two different cards on two different computers, all of which have purchased with out issue before hand.

No offense but having a website able to process purchases is not a bane of running an online store its a basic requirement. One that 90 year old grandmothers selling soap carvings are able to set up with out issue. If this was due to the volume of sales cause issue or an outage causing issues it would be annoying but stuff happens. But its the bane of running an online store? Really?

I just don't get how nonchalant y'all are about losing sales. We would have people working in 24/7 to get something like this resolved where I work and we don't have any where near your volume.
I think you misunderstand what I meant with bane. Processing payments isn't the bane of an online store, the bane of an online store of our size is that we do things manually and adjust fraud ratings, transactions, permissions etc on a daily basis. Because of this we sometimes have to set our security settings higher than what other stores have to make sure that we keep the frauds and attempted frauds to a minimum.

Something that perhaps hasn't been made clear either is that when a fraudulent transaction goes through and we have to reverse it we actually get a fine. This fine can be quite high and because of this, from a business perspective, it's actually more viable to raise the bar which unfortunately means that some customers experience issues with their payments. This is far from ideal and I fully understand the immense frustration this causes (I've experienced it myself) but I also hope that you can understand our point of view.

That is very unfortunate.
Totally ><.