• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Garbon

Sultan d'Afrique
75 Badges
Feb 1, 2002
www.crystalempiregames.com
  • For The Glory
  • Europa Universalis 4: Emperor
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Imperator: Rome
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Cities: Skylines Industries
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Knight (pre-order)
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Crusader Kings II: Jade Dragon
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Fury
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Deus Vult
  • Victoria 2
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Stellaris
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Third Rome
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rule Britannia
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cradle of Civilization
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Golden Century
  • Europa Universalis IV: Dharma
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Europa Universalis III: Chronicles
The High Council has taken a vote and its been decided that we will not be adopting MyMap as a new map for the AGCEEP at this time. Instead, the High Council will work off-site to construct a new map that will be based heavily on the existing work present in MyMap. We hope that this new map will address current concerns that have been raised with regards to MyMap and ultimately provide the best base on which to continue our historical modifications.

Feel free to post any questions, comments, or concerns in this thread. :)

Would the gents at the HC perhaps present their concerns about MYmap so that other, simple mortal contributers can give their advice on certain regions? :) Our goal is the most useful map for AGCEEP, after all. Why not criticize the map publically?

almoravid said:
Would the gents at the HC perhaps present their concerns about MYmap so that other, simple mortal contributers can give their advice on certain regions? :) Our goal is the most useful map for AGCEEP, after all. Why not criticize the map publically?

Most of the concerns have been posted throughout the various threads, but I'll post here a list of the ones I can remember, off the top of my head:

-Although quite an innovative approach, the tilted South America to allow for better representation of the Caribbean is unacceptable. As it stands, many of parts of the Caribbean look larger than parts of Central America.
-Japan is skewed to an odd angle.
-The exploded version of primarily North-Western Africa is awkward and needs to be taken down a bit.
-India looks stubby and needs slightly better proportions to fit in with surrounding regions
-More concern to game balance and less about provinces that would be fun to have, in some ways this means more standardization of province additions to the various regions.
-Making sure that province shapes aren't awkward and that a single font is used universally.

Could you start off by adjusting the provinces?
If proper IDs are assigned others can work on events and provinces.csv while you take care of the visual issues.

Regarding balancing I think that it'd be best to add all useful provinces and to remove those that disrupt the balance of the game later on when people have played through the scenario.

Hallsten said:
Could you start off by adjusting the provinces?
If proper IDs are assigned others can work on events and provinces.csv while you take care of the visual issues.

Regarding balancing I think that it'd be best to add all useful provinces and to remove those that disrupt the balance of the game later on when people have played through the scenario.
It is too soon to say if provinces or number of provinces will be modified or not. This decision is not only tied to "cosmetic" issues.

YodaMaster said:
It is too soon to say if provinces or number of provinces will be modified or not. This decision is not only tied to "cosmetic" issues.
No, of course not. I just figured that if the cosmetic bit is done last we can save a lot of time... :)

Hmmm...
A lot of effort has gone into MKJ's map and now MyMap from contributors to this part of the message boards. Feels slightly wasted.
Good luck with your cartography.
M.

muttoneer said:
Hmmm...
A lot of effort has gone into MKJ's map and now MyMap from contributors to this part of the message boards. Feels slightly wasted.
Good luck with your cartography.
M.

Not at all though. The new map will take all of the work that has been done into account.

Mmmm... can I be skeptical about all this and declare all of you fools for not employing MyMap?

Honestly, I don't think there will be much progress on this front. There have only been two maps really made, and I'm not really sure that if MKJ didn't do a full one why anyone else would be crazy enough to do one :wacko:

Herr Doctor said:
Puff, I doubt that a lot of people would support the idea to start all from the beginning. However, if you people feel yourself have enough time… well…[bold added]

Eldin said:
Mmmm... can I be skeptical about all this and declare all of you fools for not employing MyMap?
We will use MyMap :rolleyes: just not necessarily in its contemporary form as it will be.

Honestly, I don't think there will be much progress on this front. There have only been two maps really made, and I'm not really sure that if MKJ didn't do a full one why anyone else would be crazy enough to do one :wacko:
It'd only have been a matter of time. MKJ sped things up tremendously.

almoravid said:
Our goal is the most useful map for AGCEEP, after all. Why not criticize the map publically?
The HC doesn't disagree with you on this; there will be a map and probably policy open for public debate. I cannot guarantee this for any given stage of map progress.

almoravid said:
Eventually, the map will be open for submissions, like everything in AGCEEP.
But we need too settle the starting one (by using all the work going into myMap), to actually have a HC left when we move to a new map version.

Norrefeldt said:
Eventually, the map will be open for submissions, like everything in AGCEEP.

Well that didn't seem to be what Garbon was saying in his first post, but I'm a little more reassured by that comment. I do think you risk 'missing the boat' here if your new map takes a long time to produce. I can't be the only one overjoyed at the release of a version of AGCEEP on a new map only to now be really disappointed that it won't be official or supported and that we're nowhere close to having a new map for AGCEEP. It's a little like waking up on Christmas morning, only to be told it's only October...... ;)

Seriously this time - good luck.

muttoneer said:
I can't be the only one overjoyed at the release of a version of AGCEEP on a new map only to now be really disappointed that it won't be official or supported and that we're nowhere close to having a new map for AGCEEP. It's a little like waking up on Christmas morning, only to be told it's only October...... ;)

To be sure, it was never a given that the AGCEEP would be adopted MKJ's-MyMap. In fact it was pretty much stated from the beginning that would likely be enacting several changes to whatever was first created.

Well, as MKJ said, it's in your hands now, but it seems harsh to tell the two people who worked hardest on these maps "Your map isn't good enough, we'll take it from here and 'fix' the problems we see with your maps".

But if the guys who made the maps are fine with that, far be it from me to argue on their behalf.

I think it's very good that HC exists, preventing the whole project to fall apart, as it undoubtedly would if there was no-one to decide what is included. So HC decisions should not really be disputed. I'm sure they had valid reasons to reject the map in the form it's currently in. And a good thing they did it, or too much work would be vasted.

To be honest, I think this decision will be detrimental. With the fine MyMap, people will begin to change events and cores already, it's still happening. This will make the project diffuse and eventually kill it if the HC doesn't produce a map of their own, I think.

Then again, tilted America is REALLY ugly :p