• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Excuse me, but am I seeing it correctly that the last update (as per Norrefeldt's page) was IN JANUARY 2007? :confused:

Not something I'd call a progress... (yeah, I know, now I can expect to be booed and what not, as usual :rolleyes: )

Someone said that the fanbase is slowly dying of... It seem more that it's becoming extinct :(

Mad King James said:
Progress reports, and longwinded defences of your mapmaking choices, are actually what slowed me down the most in making my map, though arguably was what made MyMap good in the end, as I had to really be able to justify my decisions.

As the prime force behind Interregnum I'm in the same company. Hundreds of hours of work, some of it creative, some of it tedious. Commitment, irrational commitment.

I have always provided updates and progress reports to ensure people keep interested and don't think that I have abandoned the project in periods where actual updates to the mod have not been possible (like now, where we await the map that I am converting files to ...).

And all of the debates have definitely strengthened the mod, hugely so. I have conceded on hundreds of issues, big and small and the mod is richer because of it.

That said I felt like killing some of the people who participated in said longwinded assaults that I had to defend myself from, and I don't blame Garbon from being secretive at all.

I don't blame him, but I don't think its an approach that is avoiding criticism or making his life any easier in this regard.

To be honest, the EU2 community can be a bunch of pricks, so I don't blame Garbon for not exposing himself to the abuse strangely associated with making maps. Ironically his choice to avoid time-wasting debates and avoid the slings and arrows of abuse have garnered him time-wasting debates and slings and arrows of abuse.

You can't win I guess.

I don't get much nasty criticism in Interregnum. I think it's because I welcome comments and keep the communication open and provide all the updates people care for.

Regards,

Matty

A small update concerning the map wouldn't hurt. :)

I'll continue reading this forum anyways, as I'm a diehard. :cool:

Kelvin said:
Someone said that the fanbase is slowly dying of... It seem more that it's becoming extinct :(
I can assure you this is not the case. Otherwise why so many people would download current version of the mod?

Fortuyn said:
A small update concerning the map wouldn't hurt. :)
Such as removing/merging extra lakes, fighting with rivers and redrawing sea zones?

YodaMaster said:
Such as removing/merging extra lakes, fighting with rivers and redrawing sea zones?

Is that an update?!

Was it really so hard?

Who here can forget all the updates Johan provided during the development of EU3. He didn't have to, but he put a lot of effort into it and the response from the fanbase was incredible. People were salivating instead of screaming for news. people had answers instead of having to fill in the information gaps for themselves.

YodaMaster said:
I can assure you this is not the case. Otherwise why so many people would download current version of the mod?

i agree that the AGCEEP is used by very many modders who never write in this forum but I have seen them write in the EU3 forum , noting that EU2 with AGCEEP is there best mod

note: i do not have EU3 myself..........but I had a thought about "using" the EU3 map for our mod.........unsure if its worth it as i never seen it

As for sea zones on new map.....I still maintain its useless to add more as what we have should be sufficient for the new map

Toio said:
As for sea zones on new map.....I still maintain its useless to add more as what we have should be sufficient for the new map
I agree and Garbon is aware of it too. Otherwise, AI exploration will be a nightmare.

Garbon said:
That is why I am reducing them. :D

fantastic.........this will prevent me getting grey hair earlier than expected :D

now once new map is in use , we need to think about how to get these nations taking these extra provinces in the same time frame as we have currently........
I was thinking about upping the seige values of all leaders and default leaders....just my thoughts

Toio said:
fantastic.........this will prevent me getting grey hair earlier than expected :D

now once new map is in use , we need to think about how to get these nations taking these extra provinces in the same time frame as we have currently........
I was thinking about upping the seige values of all leaders and default leaders....just my thoughts

That's interesting, because for me one of the advantages of an expanded map is that it will slow down conquest to something a little closer to reality, along with increasing the overall BB cost for conquest (and increasing the overall likelihood of revolts.)

MattyG said:
That's interesting, because for me one of the advantages of an expanded map is that it will slow down conquest to something a little closer to reality, along with increasing the overall BB cost for conquest (and increasing the overall likelihood of revolts.)
Not for all countries, especially OE.

MattyG said:

I agree with your for FRA ........but not for OE

Toio said:
I agree with your for FRA ........but not for OE

So, craft events for them to compensate, but don't look for ways to make the rate of conquest generally match that for the standard map, as you seemed to be suggesting.

Actually I'd argue that there is a fundamental difference between Europe and conquests in the rest of the world. West Africa, Central Asia, and India are all about a flurry of rapid conquests. I think this has to do with the weak construction of those states, that the capture of capitals/execution of reigning monarchs could lead to de facto conquest.

MattyG said:
As the prime force behind Interregnum I'm in the same company. Hundreds of hours of work, some of it creative, some of it tedious. Commitment, irrational commitment.

I have always provided updates and progress reports to ensure people keep interested and don't think that I have abandoned the project in periods where actual updates to the mod have not been possible (like now, where we await the map that I am converting files to ...).

And all of the debates have definitely strengthened the mod, hugely so. I have conceded on hundreds of issues, big and small and the mod is richer because of it.

I don't blame him, but I don't think its an approach that is avoiding criticism or making his life any easier in this regard.

I don't get much nasty criticism in Interregnum. I think it's because I welcome comments and keep the communication open and provide all the updates people care for.

Regards,

Matty

I can attest to that last part. The discussion is part of the fun of the scenario noodling out what could be possible and all.

MKJ touches on something that is usually expressed in the old saying: "At some point in any given project it becomes necessary to shoot the engineers and actually build the damn thing." Sometimes community/committee designs add so much overhead that they actually become a detriment to the project itself.

Given there are things to like in both of the alternative maps; it is to bad that it was not possible to just replicate the vickie map and move on. Would have made conversion a breeze.

bobtdwarf said:
I can attest to that last part. The discussion is part of the fun of the scenario noodling out what could be possible and all.

Apparently, neither of you witnessed or remember the "fun" that was had when MKJ was making the map. :wacko:

Garbon said:
Apparently, neither of you witnessed or remember the "fun" that was had when MKJ was making the map. :wacko:

You are right, I wasn't around for it or, rather, my head is normally completely buried in the Interregnum thread. But I do understand that there was much gnashing of teeth by partisans of Poland.

But if I had been I would have made thoughtful suggestions worded politely and given much praise and encouragement.

Last edited:
Well the map is done when it's done. I'll be around to play it anyways. :)