• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
1 March 1943 – 1 April 1943

Polish Counter-Offensive

The Operation Axe was total success. Slovakia surrendered on 6 March. Slovakians were exhausted many different occupations. Slovakia was under German control, then under Polish, Hungarian, Polish again, Soviet and at last Polish for the third time. This time the country was administratively incorporated into Poland.

Nine days later the Soviet regime fell in Hungary and the country was incorporated into Poland too. Allies decided that the faith of the two countries should be decided after the war.

HoI31443Slovakia.jpg

French resumed the offensive and after intensive fighting took Koln and reached Netherlands. Soviet armies were divided by two. Armies in Bavaria and Austria retreated to North Bohemia. Armies in North West Germany retreated Netherlands where they could receive supplies from through Amsterdam port. However, Danish army is heading to Amsterdam.

Polish took Dortmund but the Soviets pushed Polish division and soon the city will be in the Soviets hands again. This is the only remaining big city in Germany which is under the Soviets control. There will be a race between the Allies who will take control of the city first.

HoI31443.jpg

North Rhine – Westphalia Sector

French overwhelmed the Soviets

HoI31443French.jpg

Bohemia - Moravia Sector

The Soviets have large numerical superiority, but low on supplies.

HoI31443Polish.jpg

Baltic States

Dutch surrendered in Estonia, but British again took Riga and adjacent provinces. 4 divisions are hoping to defend the city until reinforcement will arrive.

HoI31443Baltic.jpg

Greece Front

In Greece Bulgarians successfully managed to cut Greeks off in North Greece. However, the situation is stable. Polish are planning airborne assaults in Central Bulgaria and landing in Albania.

HoI31443Greece.jpg

Last edited:
This is truly amazing. Who would think the Poles would last this long? Against a human player I suspect Germany would have declared early 39 and not worried about forts. Good AAR. Just read all of it.

This is truly amazing. Who would think the Poles would last this long? Against a human player I suspect Germany would have declared early 39 and not worried about forts. Good AAR. Just read all of it.

A human player would've deployed forces in Hungary and just flanked the whole fortress line ;)

That too, assuming Hungary was already in the axis. Most of the games I play, that is not the case.

That too, assuming Hungary was already in the axis. Most of the games I play, that is not the case.

. . . . or simply invaded Hungary and flanked the fortress line that way, although that would risk Soviet intervention.

To be honest, first I thought I’ll let 10-15 Soviet divisions move to Hungary and then close the door, but Pandora’s box was opened and I could not stop the Soviets. Luckily France drew more Soviet armies into West Europe :)

hahaha, I made a similar mistake letting the soviets in in my first Gottdammerung 44' Germany Scenario, I opened a gap at the hungarian rumanian border and in my epic attempt to surround them I lost 180,000 Troops and they lost 320,000. They kept the damn pocket open by one province, i lost rumania and half of Hungary luckily thier offensive stalled at the Vistula and the Danube.......

Good AAR. Just read all of it.

Thank you.

A human player would've deployed forces in Hungary and just flanked the whole fortress line ;)

I think the simplest solution is sending more troops to East Prussia.

Actually when I restarted the game as Germany, probably a week or two ago, in order to check if AI were reluctant attacking any fort or odds were really against it, I found out by an accident that German AI tried transporting 6 divisions to Memel. Fortunately I took Memel before it could do it.

One more possibility is also invading Lithuania and attacking Poland from the North. This is what Polish were afraid of in history too. Polish tried to normalise relationship with Lithuania in order to secure the northern border. The first R-M pact draft included Lithuania into German sphere so it was a real threat and if Polish had strong fortifications in the West I believe Germans could insist on Lithuania.

Another simple way could be airborne assault or building engineers and artillery, or even mariners who could cross rivers easily. Half of my fortresses were behind rivers and were weaker.

One way or another, I think Poland player stand no chance against German player ;)

[The soviets] kept the damn pocket open by one province, i lost rumania and half of Hungary luckily thier offensive stalled at the Vistula and the Danube.......

I think AI is perfectly aware of possibility of encirclement and therefore it pours reinforcements to secure the last gaps.

1 April 1943 – 1 May 1943

Polish Counter-Offensive

Polish and French completed the offensive North Rhine – Westphalia Sector. Remaining Soviet divisions retreated to Netherlands and fortified Antwerpen, Eindhoven and Amsterdam.

HoI31543.jpg

Netherlands Sector

Dutch-Danish combined forces took over the operation and are trying to liberate the last big cities under the Soviet control in West Europe.

HoI31543Benelux.jpg

Bohemia - Austria Sector

The Soviet armies in Bohemia and Austria are out of supplies and soon will be eliminated.

HoI31543Bohemia.jpg

Baltic and East Prussia Sectors

British lost Riga again. The Soviets launched an offensive in East Prussia, but so far not very successful.

HoI31543Konig.jpg

Intelligence Information

At last Polish Military High Command received more reliable information about the Soviets.

HoI31543Intel.jpg

Greece Front

Polish airborne division landed north of Sofia and together with Greek division positioned South of Sofia commenced siege of the city. After one week of fighting Bulgarians retreated and Polish took the city and advanced to Plovdiv and Varna. Another airborne division took Varna and advanced to join Polish divisions in Sofia. Plovdiv was taken.

At the same time, 3 Polish divisions landed at Tirana. Bulgarian garrison was outnumbered and retreated.

Bulgarian military depots were raided and after loss of all necessary supplies Bulgarian armies in Bulgaria and Greece surrendered on 30 April 1943.

HoI31543Greece.jpg

Last edited:
Well, creating a Bulgarian puppet?
Or what might be happening?

Your line in Prussia is very thin! :eek:

Too bad the French claimed Ruhr, which would be belonging to you.

Well, creating a Bulgarian puppet?
Or what might be happening?

Bulgarians refused to surrender. I have a bad luck in this game only 2 times out of 10 governments surrendered.

Your line in Prussia is very thin! :eek:

I had to gamble ;) Otherwise the Operation Axe would have been blunt. Having said that, divisions in East Prussia are 4-5 brigades strong with Defence experts lv 3. Corps and Army leaders are also Defence experts. Konigsberg also has lv 5 fort and forest which impenetrable for the Soviet tanks. I don’t know why they thought it was good idea :)

However, if the Soviets include more infantry divisions in the city siege I will have to send reinforcements.

Too bad the French claimed Ruhr, which would be belonging to you.

At least I have snatched Dortmund from their nose. The biggest loss is Koln and a few more cities. They had good manpower and leadership. Danish also took Hamburg. :(

At least this time they destroyed a half of the Soviet divisions in the West.

Nice AAR.
Can't believe you've beaten Hitler as well as Stalin's big offensive (operation Yuranus?)
It looks like the only thing the Soviets can do now is to slowly whittle down your troops by assaulting your forts with their superior numbers and manpower. Which they can theoretically do...but not likely for the AI.
\../

I do have a sort of random curiosity question: You seem to mention the names of every major river, including the one separating India (technically Pakistan) and the SU (Kasak? not sure).
So I'm wondering...do you know those names

a. because you're just that smart
b. because you're super-precise and looked them all up
or c. does the game actually give you the names somewhere. I seem to recall this being the case in HOI, where the name appeared when you hovered your mouse over the river...I was kinda bummed when I couldn't find the feature in HOI2 (one of my favorite things about this series is that it teaches you a lot of geography). So far, I haven't found river names in HOi3, but it's possible that I simply looked in the wrong place...

Nice AAR.

Thank you.

I do have a sort of random curiosity question: You seem to mention the names of every major river, including the one separating India (technically Pakistan) and the SU (Kasak? not sure).
So I'm wondering...do you know those names

I am from the old USSR ;) and I had a good mark in Geography. I know the main rivers and cities in Europe and much more in East Europe and especially the USSR, but don't ask me about all those rivers in the USA (HOI3 has so many of them there) :D

I was kinda bummed when I couldn't find the feature in HOI2 (one of my favorite things about this series is that it teaches you a lot of geography). So far, I haven't found river names in HOi3, but it's possible that I simply looked in the wrong place...

I think this is huge oversight too :(

No update today? :<

Very impressive, I'm not even sure if I can blame soviet AI for what happened, if I had caught such a break I would have used it too, even if leaving the polish wall there is bit questionable...

1 May 1943 – 1 June 1943

East Prussia Sector

Polish successfully defended Konigsberg but at a great expense. Reinforcements were sent to East Prussia.

HoI31643Konig.jpg

Polish Counter-Offensive

The offensive in Bohemia and Austria continued. In Bohemia, the last Soviet divisions surrendered on 19 May. About 150.000 were taken prisoners.

HoI31643Bohemia.jpg

Battle in Austria continued. Until 1 June, the remaining Soviet divisions were pressed to Danube River and encircled. It is just a matter of time when the Soviet divisions will surrender.

HoI31643Austria.jpg

Netherlands Sector

The Soviets managed to recover in Netherlands and to build an effective defensive perimeter. A tank division to Den Haag port and the Soviet forces are receiving more supplies.

HoI31643Benelux.jpg

Bulgaria

Bulgaria was occupied by Polish and British divisions. All Polish divisions were transferred to Austria and only one British division remained in Sofia.

HoI31643Bulgaria.jpg

Soviet Counter-Offensive

The Soviets launched a counter offensive in South Poland. After two weeks of fighting, they took Tarnopol and pushed Polish across Dniester River. The Soviets also attacked Lwow but the city was successfully defended after French armoured divisions arrived.

HoI31643.jpg

Last edited:
Good, so they're not joining a faction soon, which means your front has a reliable flank. Wonder how you're going to beat the Russian bear, though. Any idea about the Russian economy and manpower reserves?

Wonder how you're going to beat the Russian bear, though. Any idea about the Russian economy and manpower reserves?

Abysmal.
Interminable.
Infinite.

Do you need more words? :p

Through me you pass into the city of woe:
Through me you pass into eternal pain:
Through me among the people lost for aye.

Justice the founder of my fabric mov'd:
To rear me was the task of power divine,
Supremest wisdom, and primeval love.

Before me things create were none, save things
Eternal, and eternal I endure.
All hope abandon ye who enter here.

1 June 1943 – 1 July 1943

Netherlands

Dutch and Danish brokethrough the Soviet defences in Eindhoven and advanced to Den Haag flanking Antwerpen from North.

HoI31743Benelux.jpg

Baltic

British again landed in Latvia and Estonia. This time they involved the biggest number of divisions.

HoI31743Baltic.jpg

Poland

Austria

The last pocket was eliminated in Austria on 4 June. All Polish and expeditionary forces were redeployed East.

HoI31743Austria.jpg

East Front

Upon arrival of reinforcements from Austria, the soviet advance in South Poland was stopped. Rearranging of all forces Polish started. More artillery was ordered and the teaching of new officers was increased.

The Soviets suffered a huge blow in West Europe. Polish took around 380.000 soviet troops in prisoners in Bohemia and Austria. French took another 250.000 in Ruhr. There are also about 15-20 bottled Soviet divisions in Netherlands. However, the country is very strong. There are around 160 divisions (1.5 million soldiers) in East Front. Polish and Allies have only about 650.000 and some divisions are badly understrength.

Polish are outnumbered but have better infantry. They also have better and more officers and artillery. Regardless of overall numbers, Polish still can re-deploy troops and gain local superiority in numbers, and therefore launch a successful attack.

HoI31743EastFront3.jpg

Polish military High Command proposed 4 possible attack directions. Red Operation could cut the Soviet South army and open road to Kiev. Orange operation could cut the Soviet armies in half and open roads to Kiev and Smolensk, but would require much more troops to secure flanks. Blue Operation would cut the Soviets in half and open road to Smolensk and Baltic. The north part of the Soviets could be in theory then encircled and pushed to Baltic Sea. Green operation would require least resources but could lead to fast destruction of the North Soviet Army.

Preparations should be finished by autumn.

HoI317431.jpg

Last edited: