• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
This is outrageous! The unjust treatment of Signore Gavalas will not be tolerated by the faithful crusaders of Naxos! We sail for London tonight!

Right? :D

well, one word in that post of yours is a good lead on what signore Gavalas asked to do ;)

That's all he wanted to spill on the matter...

Once again an amazing AAR so far Atwix. And appreciate the tips & tricks sections as well :) Keep it up!

Oh I will. I already granted Orlando Gavalas his wish now ;)

I'll probably post next chapter on monday or tuesday :)

I never know if my 'important tips' are common knowledge to most players.. But I post them anyhow. I was Always good at adapting to new patch mechanics, and I hope these tips regarding 'recently' patched changes help folks out.

Oh I will. I already granted Orlando Gavalas his wish now ;)

I'll probably post next chapter on monday or tuesday :)

I never know if my 'important tips' are common knowledge to most players.. But I post them anyhow. I was Always good at adapting to new patch mechanics, and I hope these tips regarding 'recently' patched changes help folks out.

I don't have Cossacks yet, being told the intricacies of the new diplomacy mechanics from a trusted source (you) is very much appreciated.

Regarding the Crusade: Constantinople is back in latin hands, I guess? But didn't we want to burn down London? I'm confused :D

I don't have Cossacks yet, being told the intricacies of the new diplomacy mechanics from a trusted source (you) is very much appreciated.

Regarding the Crusade: Constantinople is back in latin hands, I guess? But didn't we want to burn down London? I'm confused :D

I'll give another hint... Ever wondered why I took Crete from Venice early on?

Oh, so it's about adventures in the African desert. I'll consider my first guess close enough then. A crusade is a crusade after all, right?

Naxos is a former crusader state after all :)

Yeah, your first guess was close enough ;)

But Margaret of Anjou won't be involved :p

thanks all! And welcome aboard.

I'm disappointed that there was no AAR today! You need to fix this insolence immediately :p :)

Also, good luck, and I really like you comments ;)

I heard that before. I really should stop saying "I will likely post next chapter on day x"

But you are right, I am slacking. Next chapter will be up in about 4-5 hours.

It will be called

"the secret wish of Orlando Gavalas"

Reactions:
Reactions:
chapter 3: The secret wish of Orlando Gavalas

The ladies of the court really want to know!

But Orlando didn't oblige them yet... "The insolence!" the Queen mother said..

Orlando didn't quite care, duty comes first. And his first duty was to siege down the capital of our rival. He is quite good at it, with 4 siege pips.

I don't quite know why Milan doesn't budge; they stay put in Genoa. Maybe its a case of frozen army again?

"It summer you nitwit..." said the Queen mother.

Orlando was glad his request for a bigger Naxian army got approved. He stomped the Genoese army on the Naxian capital of Dalmatia with 19k spear infantry.

The Milanese army tried to resiege their capital. Orlando backtracked to Milan, and routed them.. Not without heavy losses though...

After another rout, he wiped all of them in Brescia. Ok, that's our rival out of the picture...

Spread and siege boys! 3k infantry was sent to Genoa, to prevent troop production.

"If they didn't siege, I can already guess where they went first..." said the Queen Mother.

Game of thrones!

This really came out of the blue... Pretty weird situation this.

Castile is the RIVAL of Aragon, yet they are the defensive claimant in a 'possible' succession war versus ME. Yeah, Castile is biggest same dynasty partner, and then it doesn't even matter if the involved dynasty partners are rivals... Castile can get succession war then over Aragon even WITHOUT a royal marriage done to Aragon..

I didn't even see the Aragon nation had no heir..

I was HOPING to keep Aragon as an ally to buffer versus Castile, who rivalled ME.

But my big military rating (all the general pips!) and my big score gain (or only the score, before @Ceilingcat steps in saying its just score of the last year that counts when assigning WHO can contest ;)) made me elgible to contest it.

That actually VERY BAD for Naxos.. I can't defeat Castile, Aragon, Portugal and England with 19k troops... And now Castile cheated its way into an Iberian wedding after all.

*SIGH*

Milan got humiliated. Its always good idea to humiliate rivals that aren't co-belligerent in a war... Got to keep that power projection above 50, to keep the 1/1/1 bonus to monarch points.

Naxian fleet blockades Genoa 100%; Orlando arrived on the scene and made short work of the fort... After he kicked the 3k 'looters' out of the brothels.

"Hmprft...! I knew it!" said the Queen mother.

Genoa only kept its capital, and ceded all their provinces in the Black sea region.

That's why I attacked Genoa really: to be able to claim Black Sea region after I took their land there.

Orlando then gave his provinces leave in Abruzzi, until the Neapolitan seperatists decided to pop.

Orlando hired a coupke of merc regiments to help, after consolidating the normal regiments.

Ahh peace. I took the time to do some other stuff, like assigning MP to idea groups.

Naxos took administrative for the -coring cost and -merc maintenance cost, and quantity idea group.

Quantity for the win.

Agressive expansion is really high with everyone around Italy. So erhhm, let's shift our attention elsewhere. It isn't another continent, but at least its FAR away from Italy.

Important tip: during a WC, its always a good idea to spread AE gain over different parts of your home continent (especially the 'corners' of your home continent aka Iberia, Ottoman territory and Scandinavia if you play in Europe), while taking into account that nations of your religion won't mind all that much if you conquer heathen land.

Ae gain is WORST for nations that are closeby and of exact same religion then you and the conquered provinces, a bit less for nations that have heretic religion, and even mless for heathens.

So who will care about the conquest of Crimea? Nations that are closeby of same religion, aka the Ottomans and Golden Horde. The rest won't care, because they are all christians, or because they are in different continent.

This is why Black sea region is such a good area to delve into if you are European westernised nation: its on the border with Asia, and same religion nations in ANOTHER continent don't get AE if you conquer same religion provinces. And most Christians around Black sea are Orthodox, hence they will hardly care if you conquer Genoa territory or heathen land there.

Popup settings can give good leads on opportunistic expansion chances. Golden Horde made Crimea annul its alliance with Ottomans, after crimea joined some war versus Golden horde as non co-belligerent.

Important tip: My popup settings show me ALL wars that start in Europe, and the result of them. Enable and configure your message settings for game of thrones and to scope for opportunistic chances across the amp.

Its really needed to discover opportunistic chances, and to get idea what nation might dishonour its alliance with a target of yours, because they joined some other war they are losing.

Hence why I 'saw' that Crimea was easy pickings now, and hence why Naxos turns the Black sea region into blue territory.

Naxos is a former crusader state, and Francesco III von Habsburg is known as a very pious man. A cardinal wanted to move to Venice for a small 'fee', but Francesco III sent him away.

100 admin power is faaaar better.

Francesco sent him away, because he already had a +2 missionary cardinal leading his administration. The clergy estate 'convinced' that cardinal to move an work for Naxos at half cost..

Orlando didn't quite care, he was awaiting the Crimean seperatists.

Then he sailed back to Italy with the entire army.

Why? To attack our rival the Pope.

"The Pope? I thought you were so pious...?" snorted the Queen mother.

Begone, woman..

Orlando was busy on siege of Rome when the Pope threatened a small siege stack on the wartarget. He left 1k troops on Rome to keep the siege progress, and helped them out.

Lucca is sieging my capital, but as usual, I didn't care.

Quantity idea group provided the manpower for a 26k Naxian army by now! Orlando finished sieging Rome and Romagna, and then marched for Rome, to finish off the Pope.

I just humiliated the Pope after sieging own Lucca. MMMMM ducats!

I have TOO much agressive expansion with everyone here.. If I take anything more, even my diplomats can't prevent a coalition..

Orlando Gavalas requested an audience with Francesco III, after he discovered that the Ottomans declared on the Mamluks.

"Ah my dear general! How can I help you?"

"My king, the time has come to grant me my wish. I came into your service because your nation is the last remaining Crusader state that didn't fall to the heathens yet. I am the last descendant of a famous knight that helped liberating Jerusalem in the first crusade of 1099. My family ruled Rhodes for a long while after, until after the fourth Crusade.."

Orlando fell silent, and gazed out of the window for a long while.

"As a child, I was captured as a slave by Tlemcen raiders in the province of Greece, right before Byzantium fell to the Ottomans. They sold me as a slave to a noble in Jerusalem. I was a pit fighter there for his pleasure, and my trainer there helped me escape in the end. When he died on the sea shore safeguarding my escape, I swore a holy oath to return one day, and liberate Jerusalem from these vile heathens, or to die trying."

King Francesco was perplexed. He slowly walked to the window.

"All my life, I have been dreaming of seeing the holy city of old. You have my support, and that of the entire Naxian army."

Orlando Gavalas turned around, and shook hands with the king.

"Thank you, my liege" he whispered emotionally. Then he led the king to the war table, with a grim look on his face.

"The Ottomans are invading The Mamluks as we speak, my liege. But they can't pass the fort of Damascus without sieging it down, or their supply lines will be cut. I could lead a small force, and outmanoeuver the Ottomans before they reach Jerusalem."

Francesco started at the war table and said:

"You are either the best tactician I have ever met, or plain mad. You think the Mamluks will watch idly?"

Orlando Gavalas smiled. "Leave the Mamluks to me, my liege. I won't fail you."

Orlando landed his troops in Naablus, after he saw the Mamluks and their allies move north past him. They were doing a desperate attempt to lift the siege in Damascus that already had ticked to positive success chance.

(yeah, I waited to invade Naablus until siege in Damascus was at positive chance, in case you wonder)

He quickly moved east, to block off the advance of the Ottomans. Orlando was already on route to the fort in Ma'an, when the routing Mamluk army passed oblivious to his presence..

Last edited: