• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I am going to make a wild guess and say Savoy. My reasoning is non-existant. The play around the marketplace was amusing.

Well the revenge will be against France, of course. As for which nation. I am leaning toward none, yet....Probably a 'French' one...but I shan't say as of yet...

Burgundy will be my guess.

Duke of Wellington said:
I'm going to guess Scotland, not too much reasoning other than its a good place to hide out.

Bah! I picked that one already!

Pick Australia :p

jwolf said:
Just to narrow the field, I don't think I'm giving anything away if I confirm that my nation is a European.

Am I brilliant or what? :D I shall now put my nose to the ground and sniff out the country. No guessing for me, no blind stab in the dark. I will apply the scientific approach to the problem and reveal to all the answer...later, probably much later, possibly after a couple of drinks. A hint for all… I think you look to close to France, you see the trees but not the forest. :eek:

Joe

Aha! Jwolf AND Templars! We love Templars!

*Goes looking for the website that calls NASA a Templar conspiracy*

With no evidence other than Rosslyn Abbey I will choose...

Scotland!

Scotland may be too obvious. No, I didn't pick it because of Dan Brown.

Piers Paul Read claims that many of the Templars escaped to Scotland along with, what they claimed, was the head of Jesus.

Bleh I'll stick with Scotland but I'm assuming it isn't right....

I was also wondering of Scotland at first. However I didn't thoutgh of that they had anything to do with the templars. Scary

Alessandro F. said:
Pick Australia :p

Now that would be a real challenge, as you'll see once my specific ingame goals are announced.

I salute those of you who were brave enough to stick your necks out and make a guess for the country. You're all wrong. :p Although some of the comments do strike closer to home, as it were.

Scotland -- after the Black Friday arrests there were many rumors of escapes to Scotland with various treasure. I have built these into the story as you will see but Scotland will not be my chosen nation. In my defense, for the Scottophiles out there, I have played a Scotland GC before, and it was fun although it lost a lot of its punch once I conquered England completely.

Savoy -- not a bad idea. Playing Savoy it would only be natural to conquer France, and few things in EU2 give greater pleasure. :cool: However, I have already played a Savoy GC. In that game, unfortunately, by house rule I stayed in Europe: no colonies, so I couldn't completely destroy France. By the end, they were left with Paris and a handful of coastal provinces. Good game. :)

Burgundy -- also a good choice for smashing the French. But this is another one I have already played. It was a fun game but easier than I thought it would be. This was my first real superpower and I wasn't shy about flexing my muscles.

Aragon -- yet another inspired choice, with historical enmity with France during this period (Roussilon). And I can't claim my standard excuse, for I haven't played Aragon yet. But not this time.

Since we'll have some 500 years to cover (roughly 1300-1800) there's plenty of room for many different Grandmasters, to say nothing of other Templar ranks. So I am confident that I can accommodate many more than just one or two.

I don't intend to develop the part of the story where my future nation will be chosen until around the time of the Hundred Years War, which I am guessing will be after Chapter 20. So there is still plenty of time for informed speculation.

Next chapter to come very soon.

Chapter 3: Stormy Weather Approaches

Paris, 12 October 1307

The Marketplace

Early in the morning Maria's regular customer came to buy cheese. Today's price, initially 24 as usual, was negotiated down to 16. Nevertheless, the gentleman, with a sense of unease, left her a generous tip.

The King's Palace

Though King Philip was officially in mourning for his sister-in-law Catherine, the sad occasion was an opportunity for Nogaret to refine orders with his men. Not only Jacques de Molay, but all of his senior officers in Paris had been under tacit surveillance for several days. This task would be much easier during the funeral, when they would all be expected to be together. And if any were absent, that would be a sign of alarm and possible change of tactics for the coming night.

Strike Team A1 was the largest, filled with Nogaret's best guards and plenty of backup. Their job was to arrest Molay and all the Templars within their Temple in Paris. Nogaret knew that many other Templars were based in other houses in and around Paris, to say nothing of those scattered in every corner of the kingdom. Strike teams had been prepared for each group.

The commanders of each of the Paris strike teams were ordered to take suitably discrete positions in order to observe the funeral and all those attending. Not all the Templars were expected, of course, but all of the local leaders were, whether in order to honor the King or the Grandmaster; Nogaret neither knew nor cared.

Cathedrale de Notre Dame

Molay admitted to himself that he felt no great love for the king. Still, he was the King of France and deserved respect for that lofty position. Philip was rumored to love his family dearly; he must be deeply affected by the loss of Catherine. Yet when Molay found the opportunity to offer personal consolation to Philip, the king's face remained a mask. Jacques searched the king's eyes without result until he remembered the old saying, describing King Philip as "The Owl King" -- always looking but never seeing, never feeling.

Jacques bowed before the king and moved away, chilled.

Raoul, the captain of team A1, nodded with satisfaction to his lieutenant. All his targets were present and identified. It would be a simple matter to observe them from this point. Raoul was confident he would satisfy his master -- and he didn't wish to consider the outcome of failure.

The Marketplace

Jean bought his lunch as usual, paying 16 for the cheese. He heard there was a large gathering at Notre Dame, and was stunned to hear Maria tell him the King's sister had died. He didn't know Philip had a sister. But he was one of the younger Brothers, not one of the higher officers. He thought with envy of the Grandmaster, who was privileged to speak personally with the King. He ate his lunch and continued on his way.

Templar Headquarters

"Well, Bernhard, you see there was no cause for alarm."

"For today anyway -- yes, my Master."

"Tell me this: if the worst does happen, are we ready?"

"Yes, Master. Those in France know to stay discrete. And those outside France have received their orders. I am as confident as I can be."

"You have done all that can be done. Good night, Bernhard."

"Good night, Jacques."

The two men embraced and parted for the last time. While Jacques of course stayed at the Temple, Bernhard was living in a rented cottage just outside of town. He left the Temple and walked home.

Lance nodded to Raoul. Assigned to track and arrest Bernhard, Lance gathered Team A5 and followed quietly.

Somewhere in Paris

Jean's orders included the command to go nowhere near the Temple. He had purchased accommodations with a family in the city. He was a rather junior member of the Templars, and not known to Nogaret. As he was not in danger, he had the privilege of a peaceful night's sleep. But Jean did not sleep peacefully; he dreamed of smoke and fire.

Chinon Prison

Guillaume of Paris enjoyed his work, and he was very good at it. Unfortunately, most others -- especially King Philip's ministers -- kept their distance from him, for his occupation was somewhat disreputable. But there was one exception: Guillaume de Nogaret, whether feeling a name's kinship or for more practical reasons, thought very highly of Guillaume and advised him to prepare his men and facilities for a large number of visitors tomorrow.

Guillaume of Paris was King Philip's Inquisitor.

Aha! So the man at the marketplace was a Brother!

I like the twist :)

jwolf said:
I salute those of you who were brave enough to stick your necks out and make a guess for the country. You're all wrong. :p Although some of the comments do strike closer to home, as it were.

Yes we both know they were wrong, wink wink, nudge nudge. My nose has picked up a scent, smells faintly of garlic.

Joe

A nasty night of business seems about to take place.

Duh, duh, duh, dummmm!

Nice little cliffhanger, jwolf. Has Storey been sending you copies of his masterworks? ;)