National Ideagroups - 21st of October B - Romania

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
By the way, I want to add something general about national ideas & other suggestions for improvements.

If you're a fan of a specific country and you want it to be improved in EU4:
- come up with some decent, balanced ideas (not 10% discipline and -40% reduced coring cost as traditions :) )
- find decent descriptions for those ideas (this is the hard part)
- bring up something historically relevant for the game's period as an argument backing up your proposal
- make a topic about it on the forum and see if other players like it
- if you're lucky a Paradox dev will see the topic and might like your suggestion
- if you're really lucky he'll even have time to include it in the game :)

If you go beyond ideas things get a bit harder, it's probably a good idea to ask in the Mods subforum, I don't have experience with that.

There's no guarantee that this will work, because Paradox still has to take your ideas, check them and adapt them, but if you just complain and don't come up with something constructive you definitely won't improve things :)

By the way, I want to add something general about national ideas & other suggestions for improvements.

- come up with some decent, balanced ideas (not 10% discipline and -40% reduced coring cost as traditions :) )
- bring up something historically relevant for the game's period as an argument backing up your proposal
- if you're lucky a Paradox dev will see the topic and might like your suggestion

If you go beyond ideas things get a bit harder, it's probably a good idea to ask in the Mods subforum, I don't have experience with that.

There's no guarantee that this will work, because Paradox still has to take your ideas, check them and adapt them, but if you just complain and don't come up with something constructive you definitely won't improve things :)

Functioned for me and the Silesian NIs. Not 100% but the ones chosen are eerily similar to mine.

Functioned for me and the Silesian NIs. Not 100% but the ones chosen are eerily similar to mine.
Silesia and Romania stronk!

I'm glad to hear that Paradox is listening to what the players are asking for.
I hope that there aren't too many huge bugs in AoW, everything sounds just great. And I imagine we've only heard about 50% of the changes so far :)

These are the things that are really important:

1.) Idea concepts - 7 x ideas
2.) Short or long description of what each idea is, the best thing is to link to English wiki or something
3.) Suggest bonuses. It doesnt really matter how high bonuses you add are (those will be taken care of).

Romania

Traditions
+5% Discipline
+2 Tolerance Own Faith

1. Flexible Recruiting: +20% Manpower Recovery
  2. Skilled Commanders: +1 Land Leader Manuever
  3. Scorch the land and Poison the Wells: +1 Hostile Attrition
  4. Latin Island: +1 Legitimacy
  5. Peasant Soldiers: -10% Infantry Cost & +10% Manpower
  6. Phanariote Traders: +15% Trade Power
  7. Phanariote Taxes: +10% Tax Income

Ambition
+25% Better Relations Over Time

I feel being Romanian I should join the other two in crying tears of joy:

:wub: Thank you Johan! So very much! :wub:

Don't take them back now! I have my links in Sweden itself via my swedish girlfriend so I'm sure she'll turn up at your place and slap all of you if you retract the ideas, and then you can't hit her back because she's a girl! It's the perfect plan!

P.s. I wonder if Exin is from Wallachia. Then Oblio- is from Transylvania and I'm from Moldavia. We could all do a let's play with our Romanian states and battle to form romania! (Good luck attacking Moldavia, the Polish March!! xD)

I'm surprised Romania got ideas, given it's a formable. Does this mean you lose whatever your current ideas are when you form Romania?
This is a super wild guess, I haven't talked to developers or anything like that, but I think it's this way to prevent possible abuses.

For example one common strat was to form Romania as the Ottomans (fairly easy to do), in order to get rid of the downfall of the Janissaries events while keeping their bonuses.
Now if you do that you lose the Ottoman ideas - so there's a trade off: do you keep the awesome Ottoman ideas or do you keep the bonuses from events but have instead the good-but-not-awesome Romanian ideas?

P.s. I wonder if Exin is from Wallachia. Then Oblio- is from Transylvania and I'm from Moldavia. We could all do a let's play with our Romanian states and battle to form romania! (Good luck attacking Moldavia, the Polish March!! xD)
I'm sorry to disappoint you, but I'm from Wallachia. True blooded "Mitică" à la Caragiale!
I just like the Transylvanian flag more :)

Last edited:
I am from Moldavia and I approve this. This should be an interesting and very challenging experience trying to form Romania as either Moldova or Wallachia. Breaking up from Polish vassalization will be a pain though.

Is the current Wallachia flag correct or should it be this: http://oi62.tinypic.com/27x2l3r.jpg ?
Frankly, I'm more familiar with the coat of arms from this map:
640px-TR_XIII_-_XVI_copy.jpg

Here is a link to a larger image.

Historical proof for this coat of arms:
Mircea the Elder's seal:
230px-MirceaCelBatranSeal1390.png

I frankly like it a lot more than the current one - the eagle's position is quite unique among the flags I've seen, instead of that ugly "spread eagle" ("displayed") :D

Last edited:
This is a super wild guess, I haven't talked to developers or anything like that, but I think it's this way to prevent possible abuses.

For example one common strat was to form Romania as the Ottomans (fairly easy to do), in order to get rid of the downfall of the Janissaries events while keeping their bonuses.
Now if you do that you lose the Ottoman ideas - so there's a trade off: do you keep the awesome Ottoman ideas or do you keep the bonuses from events but have instead the good-but-not-awesome Romanian ideas?

When did this strat become "common", or an "abuse"? I saw it posted on the forums once, when it was met quite cooly given its already apparent disadvantages. That said, it wouldn't surprise me if this was the reason, given they for some reason don't want the Ottomans to take up their mantle as the New Rome.

That +2 tolerance of the true faith is gonna be nice, but i'm still thinking if this is superior to the wallachian and moldavian ideas...

PD: Waiting for them galician ideas and some sweet big ships bonuses.

I am from Moldavia and I approve this. This should be an interesting and very challenging experience trying to form Romania as either Moldova or Wallachia. Breaking up from Polish vassalization will be a pain though.

Since Moldavia is a march in AoW, Poland probably won't try to annex you right away.

WE NEED PERM WE NEED PERM! Who doesn't want to play as the nation that has a bear with a bible on its back for a flag!

Oh and some SE Asian ideas plz, that region has the largest collection of generic ideas in the game(along with hindu Aryan nations!)