• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Status
Not open for further replies.
It seems the issue here is that revocation can't happen when there's a truce - however this has happened in my non-VIET games too, and I assumed it was WAD. You said before you haven't played much for the past couple of patches, so perhaps it's a new rule added by vanilla?

Yeah, it has been a while. I hope that's the case.

Also I'm adding the issue with the Maghreb and Berber characters to the bug section. It doesn't seem to have caused issues for others yet, but I'l'l add it anyways just in case - I think Sarog might have had a similar situation a while back.

I'm up to 1071 now, and still no crashes, so I suspect you found the issue. Ant that's with Family Relations and PS running, as well.

I've run into a persistent problem where the game starts fine running this mod (all modules, for what it's worth), but when I try to select a character on the character selection screen, the game immediately crashes to desktop. I've attached an error log; any idea what's causing this? I tried it both with and without Russian Character Portraits DLC, and it didn't seem to make any difference.

[texturehandler.cpp:169]: Couldn't find texture file: gfx//characters//default_daughter_easternslavic.tga.
[spritetype.cpp:367]: Error initialising texture: gfx\\characters\\default_daughter_easternslavic.tga for spritetype PORTRAIT_westernslavicgfx_child_female
[spritetype.cpp:367]: Error initialising texture: gfx\\characters\\default_daughter_easternslavic.tga for spritetype PORTRAIT_bulgargfx_child_female
[texturehandler.cpp:169]: Couldn't find texture file: gfx//characters//default_son_easternslavic.tga.
[spritetype.cpp:367]: Error initialising texture: gfx\\characters\\default_son_easternslavic.tga for spritetype PORTRAIT_bulgargfx_child_male
[spritetype.cpp:367]: Error initialising texture: gfx\\characters\\default_son_easternslavic.tga for spritetype PORTRAIT_westernslavicgfx_child_male

I'm up to 1071 now, and still no crashes, so I suspect you found the issue. Ant that's with Family Relations and PS running, as well.

Alright, that sounds good. I'll take a look at the Maghreb and Berber characters in a few days when I can get my home PC again. Just in case - you're absolutely certain you didn't change the files in VIET, right (maybe accidentally leaving some stuff from Patrum Scuta in somehow, for instance)? (Though I guess I've already asked you enough times about this.)

I've run into a persistent problem where the game starts fine running this mod (all modules, for what it's worth), but when I try to select a character on the character selection screen, the game immediately crashes to desktop. I've attached an error log; any idea what's causing this? I tried it both with and without Russian Character Portraits DLC, and it didn't seem to make any difference.

Do you have all the portrait DLCs? If you don't (that is, if you only have some of them, but not all of them), chances are you'll need to apply the portrait DLC fix - the necessary files are included in the main download; you can also get them in the fourth post (a link to the fourt post is in big red letters is in the first post). This should fix your problem. Even if you do have all the portrait DLCs you should give it a try anyways.

Alright, that sounds good. I'll take a look at the Maghreb and Berber characters in a few days when I can get my home PC again. Just in case - you're absolutely certain you didn't change the files in VIET, right (maybe accidentally leaving some stuff from Patrum Scuta in somehow, for instance)? (Though I guess I've already asked you enough times about this.)

So certain that I would offer to be tied to a chair and forced to watch television if I lied or was mistaken. ;) Earlier on, when the problem first occurred, I did try to replace the gfx/flags in your Core module with those from PS; it didn't do anything; I reinstalled your original module. I'm pretty meticulous about fault-checking. Removing those two files as you suggested cleared up the problem at once. It hasn't happened since, and I'm now up to 1090, running a Swedish Queen who just managed to get an excommunication lifted.

- Three new ambitions: live to old age (i.e. live to either age 60 or gain the old age modifier), gain a virtue (i.e. gain one of the seven virtue traits), find a hobby (i.e. gain one of the lifestyle traits; this also increases the chance of getting a lifestyle trait event)

I'm seeing "live to old age," and "find a hobby," but not "gain a virtue." Become a paragon of virtue, yes, but that's a different matter.

Last edited:
I'm seeing "live to old age," and "find a hobby," but not "gain a virtue." Become a paragon of virtue, yes, but that's a different matter.

The prerequisite is that the character has *none* of the seven virtues trait, so I'm guessing your character has at least one of the seven virtues.

Overall, great mod, love alot of the new events.

Also - infant mortality. Wow, I really do go looking for lusty 16 year olds, you need them to have the hope of a heir. Very immersive.

I have an interesting and hopefully flavorful idea.

One of the typical part of every Fatimid or Abbasid raiding parties was the ghazis volunteers. Historical sources infrom us that in every frontier fortress, there usually were an area where these volunteers live to carry out the Jihad. I wonder if we can write an event that target frontier provinces that add certain Ghazis quarter to the castle, giving increased levy size while decreasing tax and creating a bit unrest. There can be an event chain in which the local lord conduct a raid into the enemy territory, bringing back booties or suffering defeats. There can be events in which the lord has to arbitrate between the Ghazis Jihadist and the local non-muslim populations....

Questions pertaining to the Viet+Project Balance combo, playing as the dutch duke of Holland. In the last 100 years or so of me playing the game I've noticed that the christian religious authority just keeps sliding constantly down, the crusades are almost always a failure for me due to no major players really getting involve in them. I think I'm down to like 18 moral authority and the constant heresies are quite terrible, also can't seem to declare war against heretics.

Is there no way to increase moral authority besides holy wars that are almost non existant and crusades? I know a pope with really good stats can sometimes increase it by like .01 or .1? But the random generated nature of the papacy makes this hardly reliable and creating an anti pope to put a good bishop into Rome is hardly feasible since it lowers the MA and reduces my prestige by a boatload and warring against the Pope isn't the smartest thing for a duke like me who can only muster 5k strong armies without mercs while the Pope and his crazy treasury funds can summon a 15k man strong merc army.

Alright, back after an almost week long incursion elsewhere. I won't return to work on VIET until a day or two, as I still want to enjoy wasting time replaying Oblivion and doing the flavor events for the Elder Kings mod I promised ages ago.

Overall, great mod, love alot of the new events.

Also - infant mortality. Wow, I really do go looking for lusty 16 year olds, you need them to have the hope of a heir. Very immersive.

Indeed, I used to play with the Memento Mori mod, which was even harsher when it came to mortality (and even that wasn't as harsh as the original CK1), and there I remember just hoping my kids would survive every time.

Removed for renovations.

I wonder what renovations there were there... :blink:

I have an interesting and hopefully flavorful idea.

One of the typical part of every Fatimid or Abbasid raiding parties was the ghazis volunteers. Historical sources infrom us that in every frontier fortress, there usually were an area where these volunteers live to carry out the Jihad. I wonder if we can write an event that target frontier provinces that add certain Ghazis quarter to the castle, giving increased levy size while decreasing tax and creating a bit unrest. There can be an event chain in which the local lord conduct a raid into the enemy territory, bringing back booties or suffering defeats. There can be events in which the lord has to arbitrate between the Ghazis Jihadist and the local non-muslim populations....

Hmm. You know, that would make a pretty decent "adventure" sort of journey as well; perhaps this can be sort of tied in with some sort of casus belli. It will require some thinking through, though, but definitely that sounds like a good idea. It might be a way for Muslim states to balance out against the Christian states later on too in the late game when the balance in vanilla always shifts uncomfortably towards the latter.

Questions pertaining to the Viet+Project Balance combo, playing as the dutch duke of Holland. In the last 100 years or so of me playing the game I've noticed that the christian religious authority just keeps sliding constantly down, the crusades are almost always a failure for me due to no major players really getting involve in them. I think I'm down to like 18 moral authority and the constant heresies are quite terrible, also can't seem to declare war against heretics.

Is there no way to increase moral authority besides holy wars that are almost non existant and crusades? I know a pope with really good stats can sometimes increase it by like .01 or .1? But the random generated nature of the papacy makes this hardly reliable and creating an anti pope to put a good bishop into Rome is hardly feasible since it lowers the MA and reduces my prestige by a boatload and warring against the Pope isn't the smartest thing for a duke like me who can only muster 5k strong armies without mercs while the Pope and his crazy treasury funds can summon a 15k man strong merc army.

Unfortunately this seems to be issues with the way vanilla works. Crusades in vanilla simply can't be won by Christians unless the player AI does something drastic, which is ironic considering about 1-2 centuries into the game the Christian blobs (HRE, France, Castille/Leon/Aragorn/Galicia/Navarre if they survive) go colonize North Africa anyways. I can't really do much about the Crusader AI, though I might be able to increase the chances of major states getting involved (although on the other hand this brings the balance issue of the blobs getting too much territory in the Holy Land and so on).

So yeah, unfortunately I can't really think of any effective solution as of now, and particularly one that wouldn't cause major balance upsets or really effect the way vanilla works. The only thing I can really think of right now are events that give Crusading states free but cheap, weak troops (to represent pilgrims and the like journeying to the Holy Land to fight - although I don't really know the exact historical accuracy of this), but I'm afraid doing this will make these states use such troops in their own non-Crusader wars.

Any suggestions from anyone on improving the Crusades would be helpful, though of course I'd prefer something not too drastic.

I wonder what renovations there were there... :blink:

I couldn't tell why my Swedish Queen was unable to declare holy wars after 1145, until I looked at your code and realized she lacked certain traits. Could have figured that out simply by checking the changes on the first page, but why do something the easy way?

Truth to tell, I'm a bit uneasy with the restriction since it applies specifically to holy wars--so if a ruler isn't ambitious, why would they be able to prosecute wars on behalf of clients, and follow announced crusades, but not against pagan Finns? Still, it doesn't bother me too much. Not as much as spending piety to engage in holy wars, for example, which is just very backwards.

Hi, after playing with your mod some more I find your siege event broken in a few ways. Most importantly, it is spammed a lot if you are a competent commander under a strong liege, like the HRE. Also, it gives easy access to four good traits if you are being gamist, and causes a *lot* of trait churn for non-player characters. I don't really see the point in character modifiers that last 7 days either.

My fixes are to cut the number of traits in options 1/3 to two each (kind/just vs. greedy/cruel) with lower chances, and add loss of kind to option 2. If I knew more about modding, I might add tax penalties to the barony/county so that the money actually comes from somewhere.

Truth to tell, I'm a bit uneasy with the restriction since it applies specifically to holy wars--so if a ruler isn't ambitious, why would they be able to prosecute wars on behalf of clients, and follow announced crusades, but not against pagan Finns? Still, it doesn't bother me too much. Not as much as spending piety to engage in holy wars, for example, which is just very backwards.

Yeah, true; I know my system is a bit simplistic, but I prefer to keep it that way. Project Balance does have a more complicated trait system, but I'll keep mine simple for now - not to mention it is also a balance tweak; changing the prereqs for more generic CBs might have unintended balance effects, so I'd have to think them over a lot.

Hi, after playing with your mod some more I find your siege event broken in a few ways. Most importantly, it is spammed a lot if you are a competent commander under a strong liege, like the HRE. Also, it gives easy access to four good traits if you are being gamist, and causes a *lot* of trait churn for non-player characters. I don't really see the point in character modifiers that last 7 days either.

My fixes are to cut the number of traits in options 1/3 to two each (kind/just vs. greedy/cruel) with lower chances, and add loss of kind to option 2. If I knew more about modding, I might add tax penalties to the barony/county so that the money actually comes from somewhere.

The character modifiers are there for flavor more than anything, although later on there'll be unique modifiers that'll serve a more useful purpose (to trigger flavor events for after-siege).

Nevertheless thanks for the suggestions. I'll cut down on the chances of getting new traits. I suppose the existing piety/prestige/wealth bonuses are more than enough.

Project Balance appears to allow more holy wars in some areas. Characters don't require the ambitious, etc, traits, unless they're content, stressed, or cynical. This would seem to be a conflict with VIET, though PB lists it as compatible.

Project Balance appears to allow more holy wars in some areas. Characters don't require the ambitious, etc, traits, unless they're content, stressed, or cynical. This would seem to be a conflict with VIET, though PB lists it as compatible.

If I remember correctly where there was a conflict between PB and VIET trait prereqs for CBs (in the PB compatible version) the PB version took precedence - basically all PB CBs remain in the PB version, but the new VIET CB changes that PB doesn't have are also included (such as the one for coastal Republic CBs), if that makes any sense.

If I remember correctly where there was a conflict between PB and VIET trait prereqs for CBs (in the PB compatible version) the PB version took precedence - basically all PB CBs remain in the PB version, but the new VIET CB changes that PB doesn't have are also included (such as the one for coastal Republic CBs), if that makes any sense.

Yes, it does. So separate PB and VIET changes are each made, but when the two modify the same basic thing, PB takes precedence. If I understand you correctly.

Any plans to work with the pilgrimage feature? Catholic pilgrimages to Rome and Jerusalem ect would be nice, and perhaps tie it in to being away fighting wars?

Status
Not open for further replies.