[MOD] Regional Immersion and Cultural Enrichment - a cultural flavor pack collection, sequel to Cybrxkhan’s Immersion Packs

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Yup, even more Pamir and Zunist flavor is coming, meaning RICE's biggest flavor pack is going to get even bigger in the upcoming 1.4.1 "Zun" update - I'll do a dev diary on it hopefully this weekend. And a couple teaser screenshots in the meanwhile:

ZPIldZD.jpg

b2E4pvk.jpg
This is HUGE! Thank you for all this marvelous and outstanding content!
I would love to see some cultural flavor content in the future for Baloch and Jadgal

Last edited:
  • 6Like
Reactions:
Version 1.4.1 "Zun" (Released 9/10/21)
RICE Version 1.4.1 "Zun" has been released
with new content for the Pamir and Zunist Flavor Pack
Steam Workshop Download | Github Manual Download | Paradox Mods Download

RICE + EPE Compatch also available on Steam, Paradox Mods, and GitHub
Discord Server

On [Mount Aruna] is its statue called Zhun. The ceremonial institution is extremely gorgeous. The shrine is roofed with both gold and silver plates and paved with silver on the floor.
- The Book of Sui on Zun

RICE's biggest update ever, the Pamir and Zunist Flavor Pack, just got bigger with new content mainly focused on additional Zunist flavor as well as the legendary hero of Gilgit, Azur Jamshid. There have also been a number of other miscellaneous improvements as well. In fact, there's enough new stuff I've dedicated another dev diary to it (see below).

Anyhow, I am starting to design my next flavor pack, so you'll definitely hear more about it in the next week or two.

Changelog:

• Added Kayani Dynasty in Gilgit at the 867 and 1066 start dates
  • New Zunist decisions:
    • Reclaim Mount Aruna for Zun
    • Offer Riches to Zun
    • Refurbish the Mural of Dokhtar-i Noshirwan
  • New game concepts: Azur Jamshid and Idol of Zun
  • Added special modifier for Azur Jamshid, Kayani ruler in 867
  • New decision in the Duchies of Pamir and Ladakh to Sponsor the Tumshiling Festival
  • New decision to Conciliate Kafir Tribes (i.e. remove Land of the Kafirs negative modifier)
  • Taoism and Vajrayana have male dominated doctrine instead of equal
  • New art for the Sacrifice Goats and Restore Idol of Zun decisions
  • Changed art for Harranian Write Scholarly Treatise decision
  • Peristani, Burusho, and Brahui now use EPE’s new South Asian ethnicity templates as appropriate if running the RICE-EPE compatch
  • Nearby players now notified if someone restored the Idol of Zun
  • Slightly reduced faith conversion/creation bonus for restoring the Idol of Zun
  • Sacrifice Goats decision now provides a message notifying you of the result
  • Fixed missing icon for Chinir Festival activity
  • Miscellaneous bugfixes

Pamir and Zunist Dev Diary #3 - Even More Zunist Flavor (And Other Additions)

Idol of Zun on Mount Aruna​

Currently, Zunists can take a decision to Restore the Idol of Zun in Zamindawar. If you control Kabul as a Zunist, you'll gain access to a similar decision to Reclaim Mount Aruna for Zun.

MJtsP8y.jpg

The decision nets similar rewards: you get a character modifier, Restored the Idol of Zun on Mount Aruna, while the county of Kabul gets its own modifier, Idol of Zun on Mount Aruna. The bonuses are similar but a little more prestige focused than the decision for Zamindawar.

X86fWo9.jpg

The famed Buddhist pilgrim Xuanzang recounted a story about how followers of Zun came into conflict with Brahamnist devotees of Surya over control of Mount Aruna, purportedly near Kabul; the Zunists lost and relocated to Zamindawar. Shoshin Kuwayama, a Japanese scholar and archaeologist whose life work has focused on ancient Indo-Iranian history, interprets this to mean that Zunists dominated Mount Aruna before Brahmanists forced them out (rather than an alternative theory of Zunists trying and failing to control a long-standing site dedicated to Surya).

Offer Riches to Zun​

Besides giving some nice modifiers, restoring the Idols of Zun now has an additional bonus: enabling a decision for Zunists in the region to Offer Riches to Zun.

yTgDM4S.jpg

After taking the decision, you first need to choose whether to offer riches to the idol in Zamindawar or Mount Aruna (if the idol on Mount Aruna hasn't been restored yet, only Zamindawar will be available). You'll then choose how much gold to spend, after which you'll get a random amount of piety and/or prestige - the amount is influenced by the gold you spent.

SZy8Izk.jpg

Offering to the Idol in Zamindawar has a higher chance of better piety boons more than on Mount Aruna, while the latter is better for prestige boons instead.

Dokhtar-i Noshirwan​

The idol of Mount Aruna isn’t the only new thing Zunists can restore - the mural at Dokhtar-i Noshirwan, an archaeological site approximately 100km north of Bamian, can also be restored. Zunists who control the county of Bamian can thus take a decision to Refurbish the Mural of Dokhtar-i Noshirwan, which gives you a boost of piety and adds a helpful county modifier to Bamian called Refurbished Shrine of Zun in Dokhtar-i Noshirwan.

wrTwOac.jpg

VMFdlg7.jpg

Historically, the site was built around the early 8th century possibly as a religious shrine, and is known among scholars for featuring an enigmatic figure, likely a deity of some sort on its mural. The ruler who sponsored this mural, its artisans, and the identity of this deity are debated, but it is possible it depicts a regional variant of the eastern Iranian god Oxus or Wakhsh, who could be connected to Zun - for example, Zun may have been a Hunnic/Hephthalite deity syncretized with Oxus, or even an alternative name for Oxus. This is all speculative and should not be taken as proven fact - I added this to the mod to point out there is still much mystery surrounding Zun’s origins and worshippers, and more to Zun than the Crusader Kings memes suggest or a simple assumption that Zun was just a Hindu or Zoroastrian god. If a connection between Oxus and Zun is valid, then the mural of Dokhtar-i Noshirwan may well be one of our few surviving artistic depictions of Zun or Oxus-Zun.

Conciliate Kafir Tribes​

Currently, several counties in the Pamirs get stuck with permanent negative modifiers that represent the fiercely independent pagan tribes in the region. There is now a way to remove them via a new decision, Conciliate Kafir Tribes, but it won't be easy.

wNAibmn.jpg

Among many steep requirements, the most important is you need to be a very powerful Zunist or Dezawist pagan ruler or a vassal of one (Dezawism being a new pagan faith from the Pamir and Zunist Flavor Pack representing Kalash and pre-conversion Nuristani paganism).

PLFGyzO.jpg

You’ll spend a hefty amount of gold and prestige before you can choose which County you want to remove the modifier from (it is obviously only doable for counties you own). In other words, you can't remove them all at once - you need to do it County by County. With a cooldown of 20 years, this means it could take close to a century to bring these tribes under control.

Azur Jamshid, the Fairy Prince​

There is a new playable character at the 867 bookmark in Gilgit, Azur Jamshid, who has his own flavor. According to local legend, Gilgit (in present-day north Pakistan) was once ruled by a cannibal king, Shri Badat. A Persian fairy prince, Azur Jamshid, overthrew and killed Shri Badat with the help of his lover, the tyrant's daughter Nur Bakht. The Kayani dynasty (later renamed Trakhan) who ruled various parts of Gilgit and the nearby valleys for much of the medieval and early modern period claim descent from him.

a5utv9w.jpg

In-game, Azur Jamshid rules over a few counties and has a modifier, The Fairy Prince, with a few bonuses. When the game begins, Azur Jamshid has an option of converting from Zoroastrianism to Vajrayana Buddhism, Ashari Islam, or Dezawist paganism. He also has decent stats and traits, as does his wife who is his soulmate. He also has a friend, Jataylotu, who may make a capable councilor or vassal and comes from a Burusho version of the legend, and is said to have been a Burusho minister of Shri Badat who tried to set his liege right; when that failed, he switched sides to Azur Jamshid.

DUXr7VZ.jpg

Additionally, at game start, Gilgit suffers from a negative county modifier, Shri Badat’s Palace. There is a decision available to Azur Jamshid (or anyone ruling Gilgit) to Raze Shri Badat's Palace, to remove this modifier. This symbolizes Azur Jamshid helping the land heal from Shri Badat's oppression and foul magics.

HyuSBbo.jpg

Later on, once Azur Jamshid passes away, you’ll have access to a feast decision, Sponsor the Tumshiling Festival.

3dHj7Gc.jpg

In real life, it is a winter celebration to commemorate the overthrow of Shri Badat. This festival, and the legend of Shri Badat, has similarities with other festivals and legends in parts of the Himalayas, particularly the Western Himalayas, which is why it is available to rulers who hold counties in the Duchies of Pamir or Ladakh.

5qFQ1cp.jpg

Azur Jamshid's descendants are also playable in 1066, ruling over the same area around Gilgit.

That's all for now!

Selected Sources for Further Reading​

Also wanted to give a shoutout here to Arrikirri on discord for helping me track some useful info on Zun.

• 2Love
  • 1Like
Reactions:
Here's a little preview of RICE's next update which will be a minor one focused on some bugfixes, as well as a bit of new content for an old flavor pack, Chios.

1n1Sh3u.jpg

• 4Like
Reactions:
Version 1.4.1.a Hotfix (Released 9/17/21)
  • 2Like
Reactions:
Version 1.4.2 "Samos" (Released 9/20/21)
RICE Version 1.4.2 "Samos" has been released
with new content for the Chios Flavor Pack

RICE + EPE Compatch also available on Steam, Paradox Mods, and GitHub
Discord Server

“There is geometry in the humming of the strings, there is music in the spacing of the spheres.”
- Pythagoras of Samos

This update contains a number of bugfixes but also a little bit of new content for the Chios Flavor Pack, mainly focused on the other islands in the county of Chios in-game such as Samos. I considered doing a full-fledged dev diary but there wasn’t enough content for that. I wrote a little run-down on the new content below, as well as a teaser for the next flavor pack, which will focus on Yorkshire (such is the logical outcome of all those years I spent memeing about Scarborough Fair in my CK mods).

Changelog:

• Added new Chios related decisions:
    • Repopulate Patmos with Monastics
    • Go on a Pilgrimage to Patmos
  • Added the Heraion as a constructible special building for pagans or faiths with syncretic folk traditions on Samos
  • Added 14 flavor events for Chios, Samos, and nearby minor islands
  • Added new game concept: Pilgrimage to Patmos
  • Erect Monument to Homer is now a major decision
  • Azur Jamshid’s dynasty, the Kayanis, now have a unique dynasty COA
  • Fixed Tumshiling Festival decision not being available from the 1066 start date (works on new games only)
  • Fixed Kemet religious events not firing
  • Fixed Maastricht bridge collapse event triggering for random rulers
  • Fixed Taoist religions not being changed to male dominated
  • Fixed several modifiers decreasing build cost not reducing building piety costs
  • Fixed Nur of Gilgit’s grandmother not being female and not having a proper name
  • Miscellaneous bugfixes

Info on New Chios Content and a Teaser for What's Next

Pilgrimage to Patmos​

There is a cave on the island of Patmos, a little south of Samos, that is reputedly where the Book of Revelation was written. It has been a pilgrimage site for centuries now, particularly after a monastery was built near the cave in 1088 with support from Roman Emperor Alexios I (not too long after CK3’s 1066 start date, interestingly).

Anyways, to simulate this, in-game, the ruler of the county of Chios (which is where Patmos is on the game map) has a decision to Repopulate Patmos with Monastics. It won’t appear until Chios’ owner’s culture is in the early medieval era; once that happens, it can only be taken if the owner has high stewardship, high learning or their culture is in the high medieval era. Doing so gives you a nice modifier and the county of Chios a positive county modifier as well.

d6Te3cn.jpg

However, the main benefit is that it unlocks yet another decision, to Go on a Pilgrimage to Patmos. It’s pretty much a standard pilgrimage event chain in RICE. The twist here is you get a little chance to receive a vision about the Book of Revelation.

iHrBWti.jpg

cGF43uV.jpg

Heraion of Samos​

A new special building, the Heraion of Samos, has been added to the barony of Samos, which in vanilla is the city province of the county of Chios. In antiquity, Samos was a one of the most important cult centers of the goddess Hera, and her temple there was one of the first major classical Greek temples.

In-game, the building can only be constructed by a pagan, or a non-pagan who follows a faith with the Syncretic Folk Traditions tenet.

TyjJ7pu.jpg

Miscellaneous & Teaser for the Yorkshire Flavor Pack​

14 new flavor events have also been added to Chios, doubling the number of generic Chian flavor events to 28. The new ones are mostly focused on islands like Samos, Ikaria, and so on that are part of the County of Chios in-game but which I neglected previously.

Lastly, here's also a teaser for the next flavor pack, Yorkshire: To Scarborough Fair.

rySpCYL.jpg

2H8sIe0.jpg

• 2Like
  • 1Love
Reactions:
Hey, I was thinking about trying out this mod as the Zunbils. I noticed that the Zunbil ruler has the clans government though (this applies to Azur Jamshid too, though I'm not sure about the other new rulers). Could I ask if this was intentional?

Little preview of what I've been working on for the Yorkshire flavor pack - some features will revolve around Saint John of Beverley, an 8th century Bishop of York venerated by several medieval English monarchs such as Henry V, who credited his victory at Agincourt to Saint John's intercession.

OFBzKaI.jpg

Sbdt5dB.jpg

Hey, I was thinking about trying out this mod as the Zunbils. I noticed that the Zunbil ruler has the clans government though (this applies to Azur Jamshid too, though I'm not sure about the other new rulers). Could I ask if this was intentional?

Huh... that's interesting. I'll have to check that to see what's going on, it actually never occurred to me to see what government they had lol. If that is the case with base RICE, I'll change it so they become feudal to be more consistent with vanilla.

• 3Like
Reactions:
Huh... that's interesting. I'll have to check that to see what's going on, it actually never occurred to me to see what government they had lol. If that is the case with base RICE, I'll change it so they become feudal to be more consistent with vanilla.
If it helps, I was using other mods, though I believe they are mainly cosmetic (more holdings graphics, community flavour pack, ethnicities and portraits expanded, and the relevant compatches). Nice to hear that you'll modify it though; I'm personally not a fan of the clans government as it currently stands.

But anyhow, the preview for the next flavour pack looks pretty neat!

• 1Like
Reactions:
If it helps, I was using other mods, though I believe they are mainly cosmetic (more holdings graphics, community flavour pack, ethnicities and portraits expanded, and the relevant compatches). Nice to hear that you'll modify it though; I'm personally not a fan of the clans government as it currently stands.

But anyhow, the preview for the next flavour pack looks pretty neat!

I checked it myself and I see it now, it wasn't something I even noticed as mentioned lol (which probably goes to show how indistinct they are flavor-wise). I'm guessing for the Zunbils, it's because since I make them independent and change the religion via event rather than history file changes, they keep the clan government they "start out" with since they're Muslim by default. No idea why for Azur Jamshid. Anyways, I'll see if I can change them to feudal as appropriate for the next update.

Reactions:
Here's another preview of the Yorkshire flavor pack, particularly some features related to Stamford (part of the Duchy of York in-game). Confusingly enough, it is more than 100 miles away from the famous battlefield of Stamford Bridge.

iZH0Lue.jpg

rMiLvBy.jpg

• 5Like
Reactions:
Yorkshire Dev Diary: To Scarborough Fair

It's time for a dev diary! Today I'll cover RICE's upcoming Yorkshire Flavor Pack. Although it focuses mainly on Yorkshire, some features affect rulers throughout England as well. And, for all the VIETerans, I finally get to meme about Scarborough Fair in RICE. If you’d like to try out the new features, a beta version has also been uploaded to GitHub, ETA for release will be next weekend.

As an aside, I’ve just released a new mini-mod, Rename Tribal Era to Late Antiquity, that literally does just that, for you history nerds/academics out there who'd prefer a better term than "Tribal Era" - steam link here.

Charter Fairs

In medieval England, settlements could be granted the privilege to hold a so-called charter fair, an important source of wealth and prestige for these towns. Several, including a couple in the in-game Duchy of York, became prominent enough to form a set sequence by the 1200s. Four feature in RICE: Stamford during mid-Lent, Boston in July, Winchester in September, and Northampton in November.

r/CrusaderKings - RICE Mod Dev Diary #14 - Yorkshire Flavor Pack: To Scarborough Fair!

Once your culture has the Guilds or Urbanization innovations, if you own the counties these are in, or are an independent king/emperor of whoever holds them, you gain access to a decision to Grant a Major Charter Fair that adds to the relevant county a county modifier that increases tax and development. Note that if you are under a king/emperor, you’ll need to pay extra prestige in order to ask your liege to grant it.

Post image

r/CrusaderKings - RICE Mod Dev Diary #14 - Yorkshire Flavor Pack: To Scarborough Fair!

Once all four of these charter fairs have been granted, an event has a chance of firing randomly a little after that upgrades these county modifiers to be more powerful. This represents the development of the aforementioned set sequence.

Besides these four, there are two unique “minor” charter fairs that can be granted: Stourbridge (in Cambridge) and Scarborough (in North Riding). Stourbridge, though not part of the aforementioned set sequence of charter fairs, still ended up being one of the largest trade fairs in England for centuries. It was visited by famous figures like Isaac Newton, and inspired the setting of Vanity Fair in the novel The Pilgrim's Progress.

Post image

Meanwhile, Scarborough was the inspiration for the famous English folk ballad, Scarborough Fair. Those of you who’ve played my CK2 and CK3 mods for a while know I’m obsessed with the song so I wanted to make a mention of it.

Historically, there were many of these charter fairs across medieval and early modern England, so I decided to focus on a special few. In the future, if RICE returns to England, I may feature one or two of the more unique ones.

Special Buildings

The Foss Dyke is a special building in Lincoln that will always be present. It is the oldest canal still in operation in the British Isles, and may have been built by the Romans, or even earlier.

The Humber Ferries also feature as a special building in the baronies of Grimsby (in Lincoln) and Cottingham (in East Riding). At the 867 start date, they don't exist yet, but can be built later.

Lastly, any Duchy in England or Wales can now construct a new duchy building called Wool Industry. Wool was a cornerstone of the English economy particularly in the high medieval period, and wool produced here fed into markets throughout continental Europe.

Saint John of Beverley

John of Beverley was a 8th century Bishop of York who was canonized in the 11th century. Popular in medieval England, especially among royalty, he was believed to have aided English monarchs in battle. Henry V, for example, credited his victory at Agincourt to John of Beverley. John founded Beverley and his tomb is there, hence his association with the town.

In-game, if you start in 867, own Lincolnshire (where Beverley is located), and are sufficiently powerful, you can take a once in a game decision to Pay Homage to John of Beverley. Doing so will grant you a modifier, Blessed by Bishop John of Beverley, that provides various military bonuses. This is loosely based on a legend that King Athelstan visited the Bishop’s tomb before achieving military victory; he afterwards granted the town a number of privileges, such as the right to sanctuary.

100 years after someone pays homage to John of Beverley, another decision is available to Secure Canonization of John of Beverley. Historically, he was canonized in 1037.

Besides netting you piety, more importantly, canonizing John of Beverley allows you or any rulers in England to Go on a Pilgrimage to Beverley. If you played from the 1066 start, all the above has already happened and the pilgrimage is available from the get-go.

The pilgrimage is similar to other basic pilgrimage decisions and event chains previously added in RICE, but there's a twist. Going on the pilgrimage once unlocks the decision to Borrow the Banner of Saint John of Beverley if you either control Lincolnshire or the Duchy of York, and are either at least Duke tier, or a King or Emperor liege of whoever controls the county. Taking this decision grants you a modifier with various military benefits for 10 years, but it can only be done once in your lifetime. There's a further twist - the more times you've gone on a pilgrimage to Beverley, the more powerful the modifier is. Thus, you may want to time your pilgrimages, wars, and when you borrow the banner for best effect. Lastly, you obviously cannot borrow the Banner if someone else is currently borrowing it.

Stamford Bull Run

Bull runs were a common festivity in parts of England during the early modern age. Some famous bull runs started in the medieval period, such as the one held at Stamford in Lincolnshire (interestingly, it is 100 miles from the more famous site of Stamford Bridge).

According to legend, the Stamford Bull Run began around 1200 when a Norman lord named William de Warenne assisted locals with pacifying a couple of bulls. He enjoyed it very much, and requested the townspeople recreate the spectacle every year. Though the story is probably fictitious, it's plausible that the de Warenne family were involved in supporting the tradition for many years, and so the legend may have been a way to explain that.

r/paradoxplaza - RICE Mod Dev Diary #14 - Yorkshire Flavor Pack: To Scarborough Fair!

At some point, a small event chain based on this legend will trigger for whoever owns Lincolnshire, where Stamford is located. Once that happens, rulers of Lincolnshire and nearby counties will be able to take a decision to Spectate the Stamford Bull Run. It's a very small festival event chain that nets you some bonuses, and you can choose whether to participate in the bull run itself or just observe the exciting chaos from afar.

r/paradoxplaza - RICE Mod Dev Diary #14 - Yorkshire Flavor Pack: To Scarborough Fair!

Miscellaneous

As always, there will also be new events, music (including several renditions of Scarborough Fair), and so on with the update. Check out the beta if you’re interested, though do be warned that while it’s playable and stable, it may have bugs and some missing features.

Also want to mention again that I just released a new mini-mod renaming the Tribal Era to Late Antiquity, for you history nerds/academics out there - steam link here.

Selected Sources for Further Reading

• 3Like
Reactions:
Version 1.4.3 "Scarborough Fair" (Released 10/23/21)
RICE Version 1.4.3 "Scarborough Fair" has been released
as the one year anniversary update
with new content for the Yorkshire Flavor Pack

Discord Server

Are you going to Scarborough Fair?
Parsley, sage, rosemary and thyme
Remember me to one who lives there
He/she once was a true love of mine

This update is RICE's official one year anniversary update - thanks for all your continued support, and let's hope that RICE continues to grow!

Years of memeing about Scarborough Fair in my mods has reached its logical conclusion with the Yorkshire Flavor Pack, though this update has a lot more than just me spamming Scarborough Fair in your face. As I'll be a very busy in November with NaNoWriMo, this will likely be the last big major update for RICE before December. What the next update focuses on will likely be determined by when Royal Court will release. Also, hard to believe that it's almost been one year since I first released RICE - it's been been fun traveling across the world with RICE, and certainly the journey isn't over yet!

Changelog:

• Added Yorkshire Flavor Pack: To Scarborough Fair
  • Added 10 new music tracks: 6 English Renaissance themed songs and 4 variations of Scarborough Fair
  • Added new game rule for event frequently like in VIET
  • Revamped flavor events to trigger more similarly to VIET’s system
  • A few history changes are now disabled when playing with the TIP mod (to let its changes take precedence)
  • Scripted effects and scripted triggers are now split up by Flavor Pack in the code for convenience
  • Changed the jingle noises of some event themes to be faith based as appropriate
  • Changed the description of Zunism into something more accurate
  • Rebalanced the gold costs of several festival decisions
  • Fixed Azur Jamshid and Zunbils retaining clan governments at the 867 bookmark
  • Miscellaneous bugfixes

And a fun video about the history of Scarborough Fair (the song), with 30 historical recordings:

• 5Like
Reactions:
So I checked out the latest patch, and I think Azur Jamshid and the Zunbils might still have the clans government, unfortunately. I've tried to correct this by reinstalling RICE and using no other mods as well.

While looking through the rulers, I think there are a few others that shouldn't have the clans government as well. The ones I noticed are the Puteshan kings, the Wakhan chiefs, the Shughnan chiefs, the Karran chiefs, and Marzoban Zahhak of Ghur (all in the 867 start date). Sorry for not informing you of these earlier!

Version 1.4.3.a Hotfix (Released 10/31/21)
RICE Version 1.4.3.a Hotfix" has been released

Hotfix for RICE + EPE Compatch also available on Steam, Paradox Mods, and GitHub
Discord Server
This is just a quick hotfix, main changes are a fix to RICE events not firing in some cases, and adding in new Yemeni ethnicities for the RICE+EPE compatch. I will be busy with NaNoWriMo during November, so there won't be any major updates barring some serious gamebreaking bugs at least for a couple weeks.

Since Royal Court is now officially delayed to 2022, my plan is to do maybe 1 small/medium sized flavor pack in December, depending on how my life schedule looks then.

So I checked out the latest patch, and I think Azur Jamshid and the Zunbils might still have the clans government, unfortunately. I've tried to correct this by reinstalling RICE and using no other mods as well.

While looking through the rulers, I think there are a few others that shouldn't have the clans government as well. The ones I noticed are the Puteshan kings, the Wakhan chiefs, the Shughnan chiefs, the Karran chiefs, and Marzoban Zahhak of Ghur (all in the 867 start date). Sorry for not informing you of these earlier!

Ah shit, you know what, I think I accidentally reverted the changes somehow. Thanks for bringing up the other new rulers also being funky, much appreciated!

Since it's a non-essential bug I didn't have time to look into it for this hotfix, but I'll make a note to myself to look into it for the next update, I'm hoping maybe once NaNoWriMo dies down I'll have another update around 3rd or 4th week of November.

• 4Like
Reactions:
Hi all! I've been quite busy with NaNoWriMo, but just wanted to mention I now have an official website for my mods: https://cybrxkhansmods.godaddysites.com/

I created this in order to centralize info about my mods in one place, and I thought it seems cool (and I was running out of space on Steam workshop descriptions).

And... I also have a little preview of my my next update for December. Haven't had much time to work on it yet due to NaNoWriMo, but I've done enough, and here are a couple preview pics. As you may guess, it's... a kinda sus flavor pack. ඞ

YCX1EPN.jpg

43rsovM.jpg

• 2Like
  • 2Love
Reactions:
  • 1Like
Reactions:
NaNoWriMo is finally over (my best NaNo ever!), so work has resumed on RICE's upcoming Sus Flavor Pack. But you know what's really sus? The next update isn't just Sus. ඞ

As you may note from the preview pics below, there will be content around the region, such as the wealthy city of Sijilmasa and even beyond.... Hopefully I'll have a dev diary up this weekend to explain some of it.

pECUA8O.jpg
kva4i82.jpg

• 4Like
  • 2Love
Reactions:
Sus Dev Diary: Door of the Sahara

It's time for a Sus Dev Diary! ඞ

NaNoWriMo is over, and I'm back to my regular modding schedule. Admittedly, the next update is more of a southern Morocco flavor pack, but I wanted to say I did a Sus Flavor Pack for the memes. The next update will hopefully be a two-parter and also include a Guanche Flavor Pack as part of another collaboration with BlackEmperor's Africa Plus mod, but I’ll cover that in the next dev diary.

Trans-Saharan Trade Dynastic Legacy

Like the Maritime Trade Dynastic Legacy introduced in the Socotra Flavor Pack to represent political involvement in the Indian Ocean sea trade (or the Maritime Silk Road), the Sus Flavor Pack introduces the Trans-Saharan Trade Dynastic Legacy, available to rulers in North Africa and the Sahel. Its five perks mostly have various economic bonuses (some are connected to the Trans-Saharan merchant spawn which I'll explain later):
  • Ships of the Desert
  • Gold and Salt
  • Legacy of Syncretism
  • Fortified Oases
  • African Scholars

r/CrusaderKings - RICE Mod Dev Diary #15 - Sus Flavor Pack: Door of the Sahara

Argan and Dates

Several counties in the Duchy of Sus as well as the Counties of Tindouf and Asfi now have a special building called Argan Forests. Argan is a species of tree endemic to southern Morocco, particularly the Sus river valley. It has had many practical uses over the centuries, though recently it has become popular worldwide as a source of cooking and fragrant oil. A peculiar phenomenon with Argan is that goats literally climb these trees to feed on the leaves, fruits, and nuts. It is often said argan nuts found in the goats’ feces are easier to crack to access the valuable seeds, but apparently in reality goats’ cud than feces are more conducive for this.

Meanwhile, the County of Draa gets a county modifier, Date Farms of the Draa Valley, that slightly increases development. The Draa river valley is known as Morocco's "date basket" and is home to a number of date cultivars.

Sijilmasa Flavor

Medieval Sijilmasa, which lies not too far from Sus (in-game, at least) was one of the most important cities along the western Trans-Saharan trade routes. Muslim travelers of the time noted its immense wealth; ethnically and religiously diverse, it was home to people of many creeds and origins.

A new series of decisions available to the owner of Sijilmasa simulates rulers supporting the city's development over the centuries. Each decision increases Sijilmasa's Prosperity, a unique county modifier, from Level 0 all the way to Level 3. Above Level 0, the modifiers give development and tax, but at Level 0, the modifier gives a malus to these as well as county opinion and control.

In 867, Sijilmasa starts at 0 Prosperity, as it has gone through decades of unrest and fighting between partisans of rival factions of the ruling Midrarids. The strife may have been caused by between competing ethnic and religious communities in the city; as Sijilmasa was also a major refuge for various Kharijite groups, tensions between rival Kharijites may (or may not) have also been another factor. Anyways, you'll need to quickly take the decision to Resolve Sijilmasa’s Long-Standing Conflicts to raise Sijilmasa’s prosperity to Level 1 and remove the maluses.

Doing that also unlocks two new decisions to increase Sijilmasa’s prosperity that can be taken in any order. One decision is to Establish the Mints of Sijilmasa, available if your culture has the coinage innovation. Due to its proximity to West African gold, Sijilmasa served as a major minting center in the Islamic world for centuries. The decision adds a special building, Sijilmasan Mints, to the Barony of Tafilalt.

The other decision is to Dam and Divert the Ziz River, available if your culture has the Communal Development innovation. Expansion of water resources was important to Sijilmasa's growth, and though it was a continuous process across generations, I condensed it into one decision for simplicity. Anyways, it nets you two bonuses. First, the ruler who took that decision (and only that ruler) gets a nifty character modifier for the rest of their lives. Secondly, Sijilmasa gets a permanent County Modifier that gives development and county opinion.

Note that for the 1066 bookmark, all of the decisions except the Ziz River are already done, so Sijilmasa's prosperity begins at Level 2 in 1066.

Merchant Courtier Spawn

Periodically, merchant courtiers of diverse origins may spawn for rulers across North Africa and the Sahel, including in the Sus region.

Besides the chance to get a new courtier, the event also offers the opportunity to gain a temporary character modifier that boosts income, to represent you improving merchant networks in your realm. Depending on the origin of the merchant who spawns - Arab, Berber, West African, or Jewish - you can get a boost in other stats. You don't even need to recruit them into your court to get the modifier, though you’ll still have to pay for investing in them.

Now, waiting for courtiers to spawn can be very dependent on RNG. Several perks in the Trans-Saharan Trade dynasty legacy track help alleviate this. The first one, Ships of the Desert, increases the chances a merchant spawns. The second, Gold and Salt, lets you access a new decision, Network with Trans-Saharan Merchants. For 5 years after you take this decision, the chances of a Trans-Saharan merchant spawning increases significantly, though isn't 100% certain per se. Even if you don’t find a merchant in the end, during these 5 years (or until a merchant spawns), you'll at least have a character modifier that increases diplomacy and stewardship slightly. The fourth perk, Fortified Oases, lets you take the decision more than once.

Lastly, to go along with this all, a new Mizrahi culture has been added to the Israelite culture group, as a catch-all for Middle Eastern Jews. Ashkenazi and Sephardi merchant courtiers might still spawn, but currently Mizrahi are coded to be the most likely for Trans-Saharan traders. (In the future, after Royal Court, I may add other Jewish cultures as needed.)

Guanche Preview

That concludes the dev diary for the Sus flavor pack! In a week or so, I'll talk about the Guanche Flavor Pack, which will accompany Sus and was done as a collaboration with BlackEmperor's Africa Plus mod as mentioned. It will include a new Guanche culture and pagan faith, and other goodies for the Canary Islands. For now, I'll leave you with teaser previews:

Selected Sources for Further Reading

• 3Like
  • 1Love
Reactions:
Love the mod, looking forward to the next update.

NORSE-GAELS!

Oh what was that, did you guys hear that voice in the sky? :oops:;)

P.S. I would help with research and I have quite a bit, my Y-DNA (male line plus surname) originates in Argyll, home of the Gallóglaigh (Gallowglasses) so I've been there and have researched the topic

• 1Like
Reactions: