[MOD] Regional Immersion and Cultural Enrichment - a cultural flavor pack collection, sequel to Cybrxkhan’s Immersion Packs

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Just wanted to comment that I thoroughly enjoy the RICE modpack and consider it one of the must-haves in most of my load orders of CK3, just as many others probably do. You've obviously done your homework on all the contents therein. Looking forward to loading up a game in East Africa as a South Ethiopian character with your new update :)

• 3Like
Reactions:
Just wanted to comment that I thoroughly enjoy the RICE modpack and consider it one of the must-haves in most of my load orders of CK3, just as many others probably do. You've obviously done your homework on all the contents therein. Looking forward to loading up a game in East Africa as a South Ethiopian character with your new update :)

Thank you very much for the kind words!

• 2Like
Reactions:
IBN BATTUTA'S LEGACY + RAJAS OF ASIA COLLABORATION

Although this isn't directly related to my mods, I think this great news is worth sharing since it concerns great mods and modders I've worked with.

Elvain, an esteemed veteran modder and creator of Ibn Battuta's Legacy, Crusader Kings' premier map improvement mod, has released his long-awaited compatch with Rajas of Asia, the Asia map expansion mod that I've collaborated with in the past. However, this is not merely a simple compatch: thanks to ROA's better map projection, Elvain is able to add greater detail to various regions that was previously not available or doable in the base version of IBL.

This compatch is in an alpha state, but Elvain plans for future additions such as a map expansion into Africa that, for instance, would include the Swahili city-states. If you're interested, see the links to the mods and/or their discord channels below.

Lastly, while RICE was not directly involved in this collab, I am happy to report that yes, IBL+ROA is entirely compatible with RICE! This means you can get all your RICE content alongside ROA's expanded Asia map and flavor, and IBL's improved map and cultural/religious setup.

LINKS

• 3Like
  • 3Love
Reactions:
SOUTH ETHIOPIA FLAVOR PACK PREVIEW #5

I didn't have the chance to preview this in the dev diary since I was still researching it at the time, but there will be one additional faith in the region, Fandaanano.

Fandaanano is not present at game start, and only appears via decision or event (if the decision isn't taken by the late game). Fandaanano is a syncretic religion of the Hadiya people, who speak a Sidamic language. It emerged by the 15th century, blending Islam and indigenous beliefs, likely from Muslim communities in the Ethiopian highlands who were geographically isolated from mainstream Islam in the wake of political upheavals. It went extinct in the past few decades, but lives on in the significant influence it has on the modern Hadiya, regardless of religious affiliation.

mQYk4pj.jpg

• 4Like
Reactions:
Updates for VIET and RICE to the latest DLC/patch will be out soon. I am grateful to Paradox for being kind enough to give me early access to get a head start updating my mods. RICE and the South Ethiopia Flavor Pack will be later in the week.

Based on my initial tests, while you can load the current, outdated public version of my mods with the new patch/DLC without CTDs, I strongly advise you do not use VIET/RICE for new games with Legends of the Dead until the official updates are out, since there may be non-obvious bugs or issues. For those of you who still want to continue games on old patches, you can use the manual install versions on GitHub.

Thanks all for your patience and understanding! Oh, and one last thing - because I'm struggling to contain my excitement about it, I'll also include a teaser for the first teaser I'll soon put out for RICE's big flavor pack after South Ethiopia. What will the first teaser be?

X0gKcob.jpg

• 4Love
Reactions:
Version 1.12.0 "Omotic" (Released 3/7/24)
jt5m8HA.jpg

RICE has been officially updated to Patch 1.12/Legends of the Dead,
and includes RICE's 34th Flavor pack:

South Ethiopia: The Highland Kingdoms
Steam Workshop Download | Github Manual Download | Paradox Mods Download
Discord Server | Twitter | Official Website

“Omotic is a language family in southern Ethiopia that is controversially considered by some scholars to be a highly divergent branch of the Afro-Asiatic languages, which include many languages across the Middle East and Africa.

I'm proud to announce the release of RICE's first flavor pack focused solely on East Africa – South Ethiopia: The Highland Kingdoms ! RICE 1.12.0 "Omotic" includes:

• Official update to patch 1.12/Legends of the Dead
  • New East African cultures and faiths
  • Traditions and innovations like farming of enset, aka false banana
  • Decisions and activities like Cattle Counting Ceremonies
  • ... and much more!

As always, remember you may need to unsubscribe and resubscribe for mods to update properly (multiple times if necessary). I strongly advise you start a new game with this version of RICE, as it comes after a major vanilla patch. If needed, a hotfix or small patch will be out in a week or so.

Teaser #1 for [Redacted]

Meanwhile, work has started on RICE's next flagship flavor pack, which will be featured at this year's ModCon in April. Here's the first teaser and clue:

Clue #1: RICE's new struggle depicts some of this region's history, like something being founded in the 900s after a dynasty ended.

3bk6siw.jpg

Changelog

• Added South Ethiopia Flavor Pack: The Highland Kingdoms
  • Added 3 African themed soundtracks
  • Added Magadhi culture
  • Ancient Egyptian culture now gets the Children of the Nile tradition
  • Oromo culture now has the Noble Adoption instead of Quarrelsome tradition
  • Changed tradition setup for Oriya and Kamarupi cultures
  • A few traits now boost legitimacy
  • Renamed Bengali culture to Gaudi
  • Renamed Bengal and Bihar to Gauda and Magadha
  • The timer to prevent Yazidi and Yarsani emergence from happening too early, under default rules, is now somewhat randomized between 50, 100, and 150 years for more variety
  • Shughnan and Karran are now Khurmazta in 867
  • Wakhan is now Vajrayana
  • Disabled Svetovit content if running with TFE or earlier start dates
  • Removed duplicate CBs for struggle, as the workaround is no longer needed due to changes to vanilla’s struggle/CB code
  • Fixed custom characters in Trondheim resulting in instant game over in 867 due to Rollo shenanigans
  • Miscellaneous bugfixes

hQsyZ7X.jpg

qfKDSHK.jpg

• 4Like
Reactions:
Tang ended shortly after 900, Liao was founded shortly after 900.

Liao seems like a great guess, especially in combination with one of the struggle phases being called "Imperiality".

Another meta-hint could be the cooperation between Rice and Rajas, making it more viable to center on an empire which also stretches into areas which are offmap in vanilla CK3.

I would also really love this, because i adore the area and find the Liao to be very interesting.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Hmm, next one is a struggle, somewhere vibrant and dynamic, and is going to be a big one. Perhaps the North Indian plain? This is the period in which the likes of the Delhi Sultanate came to displace indigenous Hindu states in North India and the region swung between Muslim and Dharmic rule frequently, and would allow a way to model the different periods of religious tolerance and intolerance, with a conciliatory ending allowing a modifier that would let Islam within India be tolerant of Dharmic religions and not seek to convert the whole subcontinent, avoiding the ahistorical religious homogeneity we often end up seeing there.

Another option could be South East Asia or the Swahili Coast, in conjunction with RoA and IBL+RoA, since those are also dynamic, rapidly changing regions in this period. We have the rise and fall of the Khmer and Srivijaya Empires in South East Asia, while the Swahili Cities are rising to prominence as commercial, cultural and political players in the Indian Ocean world and converting to Islam. Islam is also entering into insular South East Asia a bit later on, as the Majapahit Empire collapses. But both of these would probably require significant new systems to properly model government structures, and would require close collaboration with other mods, so I would guess that they're less likely.

Another possibility is Anatolia, since the region seesawed between Byzantine and Islamic control for much of the game's timeframe, and it's a popular region to be playing in. Central Asia, too is very dynamic, and could fit. But again really requires a system to model nomadic cultures to really work properly, so I consider it less likely. The Rus' could definitely use some love, as could Baltic peoples, but not sure either fits for a new struggle just yet, especially as Eastern Europe is one of the areas being mooted for a minor pack later this year, and as a rule Cybrxkhan seems to prefer to spread these out across the map relatively evenly.

No matter what, I look forward to it. I basically always play with RICE because it makes the world feel so much richer and bigger, like a place real people and cultures inhabit. And it's so well made that it rarely conflicts with anything. TBH, if I were PDX I'd offer them a job and try to integrate RICE into Vanilla.

• 1Like
Reactions:
wildcard struggle... the gregorian reforms and the rise of cluny...
or different poetic traditions struggling to define court and chivalric romance...

Reactions:
TEASER 2 FOR REDACTED

Thanks for all the guesses and speculation so far - it's always interesting hearing everyone's guesses for the next flavor pack! We have a few weeks of teasers planned before the reveal in April, so you'll have plenty of time to speculate. (Slight hint for today: The code for this is heavily copyasta'd derived from the Turkic incursions from the Legacy of Persia DLC, but I'll put some twists on it to fit this flavor pack.)

Clue #2: In the medieval era, a peoples famed for their conquests came to dominate this diverse region. Like previous newcomers, they made an impact on the region's culture and society.

7pzz45A.jpg

• 5Like
Reactions:
Hmm. Western graphical background, so probably in Europe. The Balkans perhaps? The Magyar invasion of Pannonia? Doesn't really explain the expedition bit though. Maybe the Pontic Steppe? Expedition is an interesting name for a CB, it implies maybe a punitive action against a tribal or nomadic people rather than any attempt to take and hold territory. Interestingly, it seems that this is something done by a vassal or tributary on behalf of their liege/suzerein, so probably involves a bureaucratic imperial state like Byzantium, Persia or China.

Hmm. Western graphical background, so probably in Europe. The Balkans perhaps? The Magyar invasion of Pannonia? Doesn't really explain the expedition bit though. Maybe the Pontic Steppe? Expedition is an interesting name for a CB, it implies maybe a punitive action against a tribal or nomadic people rather than any attempt to take and hold territory. Interestingly, it seems that this is something done by a vassal or tributary on behalf of their liege/suzerein, so probably involves a bureaucratic imperial state like Byzantium, Persia or China.

This is not to confirm or deny anything but just as an FYI the background automatically defaulted to that, I'm not sure why. The code for this was a copypasta of the Turkish incursion for the Persian struggle (though obviously the final product will have its tweaks to be appropriate for the focus region).

• 1Like
Reactions:
Version 1.12.0.a Hotfix for "Omotic" (Released 3/10/24)

I hope you're enjoying RICE's South Ethiopia update! Since EPE recently released their update for Patch 1.12/Legends of the Dead, I have also updated the RICE+EPE Compatch, and also threw in an accompanying hotfix with a few bugfixes, most notably a fix for all of RICE’s heritages being selectable when diverging cultures.

Changelog:

• Updated RICE+EPE Compatch
  • Changed African Latin language name to African Vulgar to be consistent with vanilla
  • Ukonusko (Finnic pagan) is now called Väenusko
  • Fixed missing ruler designer cost for Cattle Owner traits
  • Fixed all of RICE’s heritages being selectable when diverging cultures
  • Fixed missing audio parameters for RICE’s heritages
  • Miscellaneous bugfixes

• 3Like
Reactions:
RICE 1.12.1 PREVIEW

We're taking a little break from the teasers for the next flagship flavor pack later this year to look at RICE's upcoming minor patch, RICE 1.12.1. It'll hopefully be out in a week, and will include some new legends for existing content. For instance, legend seeds have been added for some instances of successfully completing RICE's struggles.

Please do note that not everything that could get a legend/legend seed will have one - this update will only include a small number, and more will be gradually added over time.

WakXMhe.jpg

• 7Like
Reactions:
RICE 1.12.1 PREVIEW #2

Today we have another preview for RICE's upcoming minor patch 1.12.1, and another legend. Most of RICE's old decisions that involve creating titles, such as the one to form the Kingdom of Socotra, will have their own unique legends. ETA for this new patch will be sometime this weekend.

Rt0DCkJ.jpg

• 5Like
  • 1Love
Reactions: