• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Dynamic localizations in nicknames world a little differently, if given out via an event. In this case, it scopes to whomever receives the event (the father or mother of the Prince)

Ah, I see it now.

Do you know the circumstances under which this bug appears? I tried it out and had a prince marry someone, and they acquired the correct realm name -- so it only happens sometimes?

Ah, I see it now.

Do you know the circumstances under which this bug appears? I tried it out and had a prince marry someone, and they acquired the correct realm name -- so it only happens sometimes?

Right now the event triggers properly, but the nickname that is handed out is that of whomever rules the court the princess is in. So if the princess is in her father In laws court, the correct nickname will be handed out.

I this occurs because you cannot scope and o the primary title of a dead person. It would be nice if gars looked in to it, but I doubt he cares to be honest.

I this occurs because you cannot scope and o the primary title of a dead person. It would be nice if gars looked in to it, but I doubt he cares to be honest.

Can't you? I've done it before (in terms of referencing a dead person's titles in code, though I don't know if references in localisation work differently), though you'd need to use father_even_if_dead or similar to properly scope to the dead person -- "father" alone won't do it, and there are only a few scopes that do.

Even so, why not use the "realm_in_name = yes" setting for the minor title? Does that not have the effect you wish?

EDIT: Also, I've tried several different ways to get this bug to fire. No dice. Only time the princess had a title of a different realm name is when she was already a princess when she was married (and thus isn't eligible for the event to begin with).

Last edited:
Reactions:
Can't you? I've done it before (in terms of referencing a dead person's titles in code, though I don't know if references in localisation work differently), though you'd need to use father_even_if_dead or similar to properly scope to the dead person -- "father" alone won't do it, and there are only a few scopes that do.

Even so, why not use the "realm_in_name = yes" setting for the minor title? Does that not have the effect you wish?

EDIT: Also, I've tried several different ways to get this bug to fire. No dice. Only time the princess had a title of a different realm name is when she was already a princess when she was married (and thus isn't eligible for the event to begin with).

1. Father_even_if_dead is no longer used. "father" will scope to the person even if they are dead.
2. It wouldn't have an effect on the localisation anyway.
3. Realm_in_name = yes would cause "Princess" to change to "Princess of WhateverCourtSheisIn". Because, technically speaking, the title is being handed out from the lord of her court (in the same manner as "Keeper of the Swans").

Anyway, I'm glad to hear the bug isn't showing up for you.

1. Father_even_if_dead is no longer used. "father" will scope to the person even if they are dead.
Search vanilla events for "even_if_dead". Get 237 hits in 18 files, including a Horse Lords file. Mostly father_even_if_dead and mother_even_if_dead, with an any_spouse_even_if_dead and a couple of spouse_even_if_dead thrown in.

Reactions:
Search vanilla events for "even_if_dead". Get 237 hits in 18 files, including a Horse Lords file. Mostly father_even_if_dead and mother_even_if_dead, with an any_spouse_even_if_dead and a couple of spouse_even_if_dead thrown in.

I'm surprised that what you said made a difference. In my current playthrough, the bug hasn't shown up even once. I can't remember if I addressed this in the latest update, but I'll (re)upload the edited version tomorrow for good measure

I'm surprised that what you said made a difference. In my current playthrough, the bug hasn't shown up even once. I can't remember if I addressed this in the latest update, but I'll (re)upload the edited version tomorrow for good measure

Here's the link to the fixed version:

Attachments

• R&F.zip
    28,8 KB · Views: 12
Update: Version 1.3
At this point, I think I've ironed out all the bugs, and all events pertaining to the titles are hidden. The only major changes I have made is that I've loosened the restrictions regarding the revoking of the "Dowager Empress" title. Also, even after they die, consorts will continue to dress in the manner they did during life. My next patch will extend this mechanic to princes as well.

Any empress who has had a child by the Emperor, or is a princess by birth, will keep her title after remarriage. I'll probably extend this same courtesy to Queens in the next patch. In history, it was very rare that a dowager Queen or Empress ever remarried. When it did happen, though, they usually kept their titles (though they may or may not be recognized in certain courts.)

Examples:

Empress Matilda, after her remarriage, continued holding the rank and title of "Empress". In fact, Matilda's son by her second husband was referred to as "Henry FitzEmpress" before he became King of England.

Mary Tudor, sister of Henry VIII, was married to the King of France for less than a year. After she was widowed, Mary returned to the English court, where she married the Duke of Suffolk. Even so, nobody ever called her the Duchess of Suffolk. She was always "the French Queen".

Attachments

• R&F.zip
    29 KB · Views: 18
Its strange, I've been using this with HIP the whole time and while nothing blew up I have to wonder if something is a little amiss that I'm not seeing. I only just saw the post saying this wasn't compatible. I'll see what I notice when deactivating this mod.

Its strange, I've been using this with HIP the whole time and while nothing blew up I have to wonder if something is a little amiss that I'm not seeing. I only just saw the post saying this wasn't compatible. I'll see what I notice when deactivating this mod.

It's always been compatible. Where did you see that I said otherwise?

The only part that's not directly compatible is the portrait_properties.txt, and that's an easy fix. (Just replace the portrait_properties.txt in HIP with that of my mod) If you're not sure how to do this, I'll elaborate.

Reactions:
To help with compatibility, you can load on_actions from a separate file since patch 2.4 !
There's no such solution for portrait_properties.txt though.

I was a bit confused since your proposed solution would initially replace the portrait_properties, rendering stuff like CPRPlus incompatible I'd imagine. Nowhere on the main download link in the OP does it say "Compatible with HIP". I originally saw your post on the HIP forums a couple months ago about it being compatible. I'm sorry I got confused.

I was a bit confused since your proposed solution would initially replace the portrait_properties, rendering stuff like CPRPlus incompatible I'd imagine. Nowhere on the main download link in the OP does it say "Compatible with HIP". I originally saw your post on the HIP forums a couple months ago about it being compatible. I'm sorry I got confused.
Oh, you know what, I totally forgot about CPRplus. Yeah, it's not compatible with that module. I *think* VIET modifies the portrait_properties.txt slightly, but I'm not sure.

TL;DR: If you are using a mod that affects portrait properties, then you'll have to replace mine with theirs, or vice versa.

Reactions:
So I tried editing the localizations to get Sureth titles. Unfortunately they do not appear to localize properly, they don't show up. I get the generic Prince/Lord and Princess/Lady, is this not save-game compatible? Or am I coding it wrong?
Here are the examples:

2016-01-18_00001.jpg
2016-01-18_00003.jpg
2016-01-18_00004.jpg

Here's the code:
Code:
#ROYAL FAMILY MINOR TITLES
title_prince_junior_assyrian;Bar'maal kaa;Bar'maal kaa;Bar'maal kaa;;Bar'maal kaa;;;;;;;;;;;;;x
title_prince_junior_female_assyrian;Malkthu'ní thaa;Malkthu'ní thaa;Malkthu'ní thaa;;Braat'mal kaa;;;;;;;;;;;;;x
title_prince_junior_wife_assyrian;Braat'mal kaa;Braat'mal kaa;Braat'mal kaa;;Braat'mal kaa;;;;;;;;;;;;;x
Code:
title_royal_lord;Lord;;;;;;;;;;;;;x
title_royal_lord_assyrian;Rab'bona;Rab'bona;Rab'bona;;Rab'bona;;;;;;;;;;;;;x
title_royal_lord_female;Lady;;;;;;;;;;;;;x
title_royal_lord_female_assyrian;Braat'mal kaa;Braat'mal kaa;Braat'mal kaa;;Braat'mal kaa;;;;;;;;;;;;;x
title_royal_lord_wife;Lady;;;;;;;;;;;;;x
title_royal_lord_wife_assyrian;Braat'mal kaa;Braat'mal kaa;Braat'mal kaa;;Braat'mal kaa;;;;;;;;;;;;;x
Code:
#NOBLE FAMILY MINOR TITLES
title_courtesy_lord;Lord;;;;;;;;;;;;;x
title_courtesy_lord_female;Lady;;;;;;;;;;;;;x
title_royal_lord_female_assyrian;Quria;Quria;Quria;;Quria;;;;;;;;;;;;;x
title_courtesy_lord_wife;Lady;;;;;;;;;;;;;x
title_royal_lord_wife_assyrian;Quria;Quria;Quria;;Quria;;;;;;;;;;;;;x
Code:
LORD;Lord;;;;;;;;;;;;;x
LADY;Lady;;;;;;;;;;;;;x
title_count_heir;Count;;;;;;;;;;;;;x
title_count_heir_female;Countess;;;;;;;;;;;;;x
title_count_heir_wife;Countess;;;;;;;;;;;;;x
title_baron_heir;Baron;;;;;;;;;;;;;x
title_baron_heir_female;Baroness;;;;;;;;;;;;;x
title_baron_heir_wife;Baroness;;;;;;;;;;;;;x
title_noble_lord;Lord;;;;;;;;;;;;;x
title_noble_lord_assyrian;A'fendí;A'fendí;A'fendí;;A'fendí;;;;;;;;;;;;;x
title_noble_lord_female;Lady;;;;;;;;;;;;;x
title_noble_lord_female_assyrian;Quria;Quria;Quria;;Quria;;;;;;;;;;;;x
title_noble_lord_wife;Lady;;;;;;;;;;;;;x
title_noble_lord_wife_assyrian;Quria;Quria;Quria;;Quria;;;;;;;;;;;;;x

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

So I tried editing the localizations to get Sureth titles. Unfortunately they do not appear to localize properly, they don't show up. I get the generic Prince/Lord and Princess/Lady, is this not save-game compatible? Or am I coding it wrong?
Here are the examples:

Here's the code:
Code:
title_prince_junior_assyrian;Bar'maal kaa;Bar'maal kaa;Bar'maal kaa;;Bar'maal kaa;;;;;;;;;;;;;x
title_prince_junior_female_assyrian;Malkthu'ní thaa;Malkthu'ní thaa;Malkthu'ní thaa;;Braat'mal kaa;;;;;;;;;;;;;x
title_prince_junior_wife_assyrian;Braat'mal kaa;Braat'mal kaa;Braat'mal kaa;;Braat'mal kaa;;;;;;;;;;;;;x
Code:
title_royal_lord;Lord;;;;;;;;;;;;;x
title_royal_lord_female;Lady;;;;;;;;;;;;;x
title_royal_lord_female_assyrian;Braat'mal kaa;Braat'mal kaa;Braat'mal kaa;;Braat'mal kaa;;;;;;;;;;;;;x
title_royal_lord_wife;Lady;;;;;;;;;;;;;x
title_royal_lord_wife_assyrian;Braat'mal kaa;Braat'mal kaa;Braat'mal kaa;;Braat'mal kaa;;;;;;;;;;;;;x
Code:
#NOBLE FAMILY MINOR TITLES
title_courtesy_lord;Lord;;;;;;;;;;;;;x
title_courtesy_lord_female;Lady;;;;;;;;;;;;;x
title_royal_lord_female_assyrian;Quria;Quria;Quria;;Quria;;;;;;;;;;;;;x
title_courtesy_lord_wife;Lady;;;;;;;;;;;;;x
title_royal_lord_wife_assyrian;Quria;Quria;Quria;;Quria;;;;;;;;;;;;;x
Code:
LORD;Lord;;;;;;;;;;;;;x
LADY;Lady;;;;;;;;;;;;;x
title_count_heir;Count;;;;;;;;;;;;;x
title_count_heir_female;Countess;;;;;;;;;;;;;x
title_count_heir_wife;Countess;;;;;;;;;;;;;x
title_baron_heir;Baron;;;;;;;;;;;;;x
title_baron_heir_female;Baroness;;;;;;;;;;;;;x
title_baron_heir_wife;Baroness;;;;;;;;;;;;;x
title_noble_lord;Lord;;;;;;;;;;;;;x
title_noble_lord_assyrian;A'fendí;A'fendí;A'fendí;;A'fendí;;;;;;;;;;;;;x
title_noble_lord_female;Lady;;;;;;;;;;;;;x
title_noble_lord_female_assyrian;Quria;Quria;Quria;;Quria;;;;;;;;;;;;x
title_noble_lord_wife;Lady;;;;;;;;;;;;;x
title_noble_lord_wife_assyrian;Quria;Quria;Quria;;Quria;;;;;;;;;;;;;x

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Oh dear, I think you're operating on all the old crap I left in the localisation folder. Sorry about that! I originally intended for all grandchildren of kings to be called "Prince/Princess" and for all great-grandchildren of kings to be called "Lord/Lady". I scaled back on the scope of this, however, for many reasons.

The base game uses "title_prince" for princes. I use "title_prince_wife" for the wives of princes.
I use "courtesy_lord", "courtesy_lord_female", and "courtesy_lord_wife" for anyone titled "Lord" or "Lady". Dowager titles are "title_dowager_RANK".

Most everything else is no longer in use. I'll upload a new version in a few minutes.

Reactions:
New version:

Wifes of Princes will now have the same cultural localisation as if she was a princess herself. Also, a ton of crap has been cleared out of the localisation file.

Attachments

• R&F.zip
    28 KB · Views: 25
Last edited:
Reactions:
It worked beautifully, thank you! However, I'm still getting "Prince XXXXX" as names rather than the localized versions, however the tooltips indicate that they are being used, just not in the actual character name. Is that a vanilla/HIP interface thing?

It worked beautifully, thank you! However, I'm still getting "Prince XXXXX" as names rather than the localized versions, however the tooltips indicate that they are being used, just not in the actual character name. Is that a vanilla/HIP interface thing?
I'm not quite sure what you mean. Could you post a screenshot?