• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
just FYI I tested with a similar mod and it works like a charm with the ruler designer, should be the same with Patrum scuta.

just FYI I tested with a similar mod and it works like a charm with the ruler designer, should be the same with Patrum scuta.

Yeah I tested it myself.

You made your own from mine and the vanilla stuff, right? ^^

It depends on what you mean by "Muslim" coats of arms. They followed many rules, depending on the culture. Turks and Altaic peoples used tamghas as opposed to charges like Arab/Berber muslims.

Typically, the field was plain, although they did use teirced per fess (or per fess) as the next most-common division. They also used barry, bendy, and checky. These were basically the only ones used, an in almost exclusively (with barry, bendy, and checky being exceedingly rare).

Every color was used except purpure, and they also used 'self-colored' (or, bare metal, being silver/brown) as well. The rules regarding color were not as strict (as in the western rules for colors touching didn't always apply).

For shi'ar(charges), it was quite common for many to be on one coat at the same time. For animals, they used lions passant, horses passant (but never without a depiction of a saddle), and eagles/falcons with wings displayed and inverted (think "pointing down"). They also used other physical symbols as indicators of rank (The Ayyubids were pretty formulaic with this). They used six- and eight-pointed roundels, fleur-de-lis (unconnected to the europeans, believe it or not), and crescents (which were meant to represent horseshoes). They also used pen boxes, shoes, tables, polo sticks, "trousers of nobility" (think paired drinking horns), axes, swords, napkins, banners, trumpets, paired pellet bows, lozenge shapes, and cups. The per fess division on shi'ar meant that the shield usually was a solid color, or divided into three horizontal bands with lots of symbols (sometimes five or more). They were also occasional bits from al-qur'an on it ("God is Great"/"God is the Victor"/etc.).

The Turks/Mongols tamgha system was essentially solid colors with centrally-placed symbols. The symbols look like strange interconnected gibberish, and the meaning of most is lost to history.

Thank you for this information, it corresponds well to what I found myself and indeed the problem will be that I in this mod, for consistency, only use Wappenwiki material. I will probably return nontheless at some part to this. Purpure is a quick change to remove though.

Keanon, I wanted to say two things.

#1 - THANKS FOR AN AWESOME MOD! I labored for hours just to put my family's CoA in the game correctly, so I am sure you sank lots of effort into this. Much appreciated, and looking forward to future updates!

#2 - I hope you play CK2Plus, the mod has come a very long way, and it really reminds me of the old style CK1-DV gaming that I enjoyed years ago. If you liked that style of game, I think the mod is something that will bring you hours more entertainment.

#1 - Thank you, but it was not so bad ^^

#2 - Actually I've been looking at a few of them and none of them seems to strike my fancy as of yet. The new patch seems wonderful though! So I'm going to be doing some king, duchy and count coats of arms because there is a lot of ugly to remedy there in Vanilla.

People who enjoy Patrum Scuta, I'd like to ask a favour, could I get some feedback on shields you like seeing and some you don't like seeing?

Would you want to me include some 3-color arms at the risk of getting some colours twice? Or if anything, I could make some 3 colour arms for the Character creator alone, along with some new emblems most likely.

Personally I looked through my pattern file and I'm in a bit of a flux, with so many shields some of them seems too much alike and I've been wondering, should it be more simple? No variations of more or less the same arms. Or should I just pile on more variations?

What are peoples preferences?

I'd also love if you could post some screenshots of shields you see in the game and like for people to see on the frontpage.

Anyway, would love some good feedback for a 0.3 of Patrum Scuta.

Well, I haven't tried it yet with the designer, will do in the weekend if I have some free time.

Anyway, I like the way it is right now, so please don't make it more simple.. I like the variation, I don't there there is any I don't like seeing. I might not like them as much, but they provide variety. All I can say is that I like your mod very much, and I can't really think of anything to improve it (which is a good sign! :p)

If you plan to change anything, I'd like more variations instead of simplification too. Probably it's just freak chance, but some patterns seem to show up much more frequently than others for me. Not that the boar is bad, but... ;) Some of the purely geometric patterns I've seen are stunning on the other hand. Will try to take some screenshots when I have time to play later. :)

edit: some of my favorite patterns
coa01.jpg
coa02.jpg
coa03.jpg
coa04.jpg
coa05.jpg
coa08.jpg
coa09.jpg

Those two I feel like I see too often for my taste, although it may just be that the geometric patterns seem more varied because of colour combinations.
coa10.jpg
coa07.jpg

On the other hand, the boar-arm combination is hilarious. ;)
coa06.jpg

Last edited:
You made your own from mine and the vanilla stuff, right? ^^

I finally made it from scratch as I worked with a 128*128 pattern. I have reach 60 mask/pattern for now. I'll publish a first version soon.

Did you try to "break" into other categories than main religion (let's say culture groups) ?

I finally made it from scratch as I worked with a 128*128 pattern. I have reach 60 mask/pattern for now. I'll publish a first version soon.

Did you try to "break" into other categories than main religion (let's say culture groups) ?

I did not, but looking forward to see your work :)

Also, guys, thanks for the feedback, would love more!

Especially on this:

COATESTS.png

This is how it ends up looking with 3 colours, but also notice my experiment with gradients, how the colours 'bend', darken at edges and lighten at center.

Uh feedback... there are too many CoA with some sort of upside down pyramid shaped pattern if you know what I mean, like 2 things on top and 1 on bottom. Too many repetive banners, but atleast they're not as many color on color like in vanilla. Like with a blue lion on a half blue half pink background. Please release next patch so I don't have to look at these cruddy vanilla ones :D

Patrum Scuta 0.2a

None of the possible new features like gradients or 3 colours are in here, this is just for you to use with 1.5c

Untop of that most christian kingdom COA's are in, a few duchies and purple have been removed from the possibilities of Muslim colours.

Thanks for the patch, downloading now :D P.S. could you fix the Karling banner as well please? It's kind of a big deal now that it's actually playable. I don't know if you have already though.

No I mean, tell me how you want it to look and give me a dynasty ID :)

Karling is N°25061 -the house of Charlemagne. not to say there is no known Coa.
Vermandois is 718... and 100113, the one used is 718 I think. there Coa is the same as Vermandois province. not sure we can use it for Karling. I'm working around with something along Charlemagne's signature/seal.

I'm on it, but at first sight I can see it isn't even using my patterns.

Is this a new game or a save game? Coat of Arms games aren't save game compatiable, sadly.

Edit: I just downloaded from the frontpage, installed it and ran the game and it looked exactly as it should, I don't think the problem lies with Patrum Scuta.