• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Hi Keanon, I've two questions, does your mod replace the DLC family shields? And do you know if your mod is compatible with Bella Gerant Alii? Thanks

It doesn't replace the DLC, but wouldn't work with other CoA mods without editing.

And no, I haven't looked at the files of BGA, sorry :(

I've just ran a test with pagan_group with a shortened list of coa taken from christians' one (removed all first part fluer de lys etc that doesn't fit). It just run perfectly.

Thanks for the test! Good to know this.

if the coats_of_arms.txt isn't edited I don't know. maybe the game just crashes.
But editing is easy. :huh:

Our files will be a fair deal different, since I have all other patterns disabled for random and won't have his patterns in mine. Aside from that, mine have edited colours for both random muslim and christian flags.

Yes editing is easy ... The content is what I was referring to. Nevermind.

Colors and patterns :)

Also, I will make non-random dynasty and title shields when the random system is done. Will use my permission from Wappenwiki to it's full extent, to give you a full consistent package that is pleasing to the eye across all shields :)

It doesn't replace the DLC, but wouldn't work with other CoA mods without editing.

And no, I haven't looked at the files of BGA, sorry :(

Thx for the reply Keanon, I'm happy to know that your mod doesn't mess with the DLC, I'll try it with the BGA mod. Thx again.

Hi, I downloaded your mod and is really fantastic but I have one issue. A lot of CoA are of pure green (0 255 0) a color that is not listed in the possible colors and is hurting for the eyes. I tried to fix it by myself but I didn't find where the problem is.
Can you look at this?

Hi, I downloaded your mod and is really fantastic but I have one issue. A lot of CoA are of pure green (0 255 0) a color that is not listed in the possible colors and is hurting for the eyes. I tried to fix it by myself but I didn't find where the problem is.
Can you look at this?

Shouldn't be possible, what other mods do you have?

And you have put it in the mod folder and run it through the launcher?

I can't imagine what would do this actually.

Maybe it doesn't load the pattern file, but then there's something wrong with the coat_of_arms.txt

I'm really not sure how to help you.

Edit:
Have you had no other mods installed?

Thinking about it, it might be trying to find coats of arms not existing and defaulting to green.

Last edited:
Is not defaulting to green. The shields that are shown are indeed your pattern shields but sometime the colors are not applied and are shown exactly as in the pattern file (ie pure green and pure red) and is not a pattern problem because the same pattern are sometime colored correctly and sometime not. Or maybe a transparent color is apllied? Only some CoA have this problem. I will try to disinstall the mod and reinstall it to see if it work.

ok, problem solved. The colors are assigned at the start and saved in the save file, i applied the mod in a alredy started game and so where the colors are #12,13 etc. not having a definition in the file they default to the no color.
sorry for bothering you. Thank you for the great mod.

Hello,

Would it be possible (in terms both of would it work, and also would you be ok with it as the author, even if used if a personal mod) to use some of your changes to add to the default patterns? I mean to add more partitions and emblems, but after the default ones so as to increase the random variations but maintain the pre-set coat of arms? For instance is there a limit to the number of patterns the game will accept?

Thanks

Great mod, now I can finally say goodbye to shitty random CoAs

It seems that the mod changes also the Muslims' flags (like Shi'a Caliphate etc.)>?

Hello,

Would it be possible (in terms both of would it work, and also would you be ok with it as the author, even if used if a personal mod) to use some of your changes to add to the default patterns? I mean to add more partitions and emblems, but after the default ones so as to increase the random variations but maintain the pre-set coat of arms? For instance is there a limit to the number of patterns the game will accept?

Thanks

I'm not really sure what you're asking, and I don't know if there is a limit, I didn't meet one.

I chose not to include Partitions and Emblems due to the engine not handling more than 2 colours well and not registering the colour of the Emblems. If I had allowed Emblems you'd risk Golden Fleur de lis' on golden backgrounds, which I honestly wouldn't want to see in the game, so I decided to omit that feature. Partitions only work with Emblems it seems, and so I found them easy to omit aswell.

If you want to make your own mod with resources used here, you will have to write the author of www.Wappenwiki.org yourself and ask his permission.

If you don't plan to release it, and only do this with your own copy of CK II, then feel free to do as you please, but any release would have to be done by yourself with Wappenwiki's permission.

Great mod, now I can finally say goodbye to shitty random CoAs

It seems that the mod changes also the Muslims' flags (like Shi'a Caliphate etc.)>?

Only the colours, they get the same well defined colours of the European nation although with some colors more likely to appear in the muslim ones.

I tried reading up on Muslim Coats of Arms, but I could find anything useful, which sort of left me a bit clueless about how to improve upon them.

Also, I am planning to improve this mod further, but I just haven't had the drive to work on anything, especially since I sadly didn't enjoy playing CKII as much as I enjoyed the first game.

Maybe in a few patches, but I promise you, I'll reach a Patrum Scuta 1.0 before I quit this mod, there is much to improve upon.

Keanon, I wanted to say two things.

#1 - THANKS FOR AN AWESOME MOD! I labored for hours just to put my family's CoA in the game correctly, so I am sure you sank lots of effort into this. Much appreciated, and looking forward to future updates!

#2 - I hope you play CK2Plus, the mod has come a very long way, and it really reminds me of the old style CK1-DV gaming that I enjoyed years ago. If you liked that style of game, I think the mod is something that will bring you hours more entertainment.

I tried reading up on Muslim Coats of Arms, but I could find anything useful, which sort of left me a bit clueless about how to improve upon them.

It depends on what you mean by "Muslim" coats of arms. They followed many rules, depending on the culture. Turks and Altaic peoples used tamghas as opposed to charges like Arab/Berber muslims.

Typically, the field was plain, although they did use teirced per fess (or per fess) as the next most-common division. They also used barry, bendy, and checky. These were basically the only ones used, an in almost exclusively (with barry, bendy, and checky being exceedingly rare).

Every color was used except purpure, and they also used 'self-colored' (or, bare metal, being silver/brown) as well. The rules regarding color were not as strict (as in the western rules for colors touching didn't always apply).

For shi'ar(charges), it was quite common for many to be on one coat at the same time. For animals, they used lions passant, horses passant (but never without a depiction of a saddle), and eagles/falcons with wings displayed and inverted (think "pointing down"). They also used other physical symbols as indicators of rank (The Ayyubids were pretty formulaic with this). They used six- and eight-pointed roundels, fleur-de-lis (unconnected to the europeans, believe it or not), and crescents (which were meant to represent horseshoes). They also used pen boxes, shoes, tables, polo sticks, "trousers of nobility" (think paired drinking horns), axes, swords, napkins, banners, trumpets, paired pellet bows, lozenge shapes, and cups. The per fess division on shi'ar meant that the shield usually was a solid color, or divided into three horizontal bands with lots of symbols (sometimes five or more). They were also occasional bits from al-qur'an on it ("God is Great"/"God is the Victor"/etc.).

The Turks/Mongols tamgha system was essentially solid colors with centrally-placed symbols. The symbols look like strange interconnected gibberish, and the meaning of most is lost to history.