• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
That looks great :)

Now you just need to link the Libyan coast to Kanem via the Nafusa Mountains -> Fezzan -> Tibesti plateau

You wouldn't happen to have a map with names possibly? lol

Also, does anyone know if it's possible to have "empty" provinces, like the massive chunk that is the sahara right now, but have them traversable? I'd like to break the sahara up into different chunks and allow travel across it without having actual temporal control of the areas. Also, is it possible to include new "terrain types"? I'd like to add "deep desert" and include atrocious attrition for armies moving through it.

Me too, right now though I'm having an issue with flags, while every title has a flag, they're being loaded in the wrong order and validator isn't reporting anything wrong so I've no idea what the problem is right now. I've even gone through the entire landed_titles file and manually verified every single flag is there and named correctly :confused:

Perhaps you have a duplicate title in there somewhere? That'll mess up the flags.
Beyond that, you could try to find out where in the file things start going wrong, as flags are processed in the same order as the titles appear in landed_titles.

Also, does anyone know if it's possible to have "empty" provinces, like the massive chunk that is the sahara right now, but have them traversable? I'd like to break the sahara up into different chunks and allow travel across it without having actual temporal control of the areas. Also, is it possible to include new "terrain types"? I'd like to add "deep desert" and include atrocious attrition for armies moving through it.

-Provinces need at least one holding.
-terrain types seem to be hardcoded. there is a limited set of colors for the terrain map.

Perhaps you have a duplicate title in there somewhere? That'll mess up the flags.
Beyond that, you could try to find out where in the file things start going wrong, as flags are processed in the same order as the titles appear in landed_titles.

I thought that too but there are no duplicates :(
Also, the CoA for the Isle of Man is the first one that I can see is wrong, but then the ones *after* that are ok until you get to Ireland (the county after the isle of man has the correct CoA), once you hit ireland it's all screwed up from there down, until you hit arabia where it's fine, and most of nubia, then it gets all screwed up again, all scambled when you move into kanem-bornu, then from there to the end of the file the CoAs are all mixed up. No idea why part is fine, then bad, then fine, then bad again, it all looks correct, no missing or extra brackets, no typos, no missing CoAs, no duplicates. I'm completely stumped. If anyone else wants to take a look at the landed titles, see if I'm missing something, let me know, otherwise I've no clue what to do now.

I thought that too but there are no duplicates :(
Also, the CoA for the Isle of Man is the first one that I can see is wrong, but then the ones *after* that are ok until you get to Ireland (the county after the isle of man has the correct CoA), once you hit ireland it's all screwed up from there down, until you hit arabia where it's fine, and most of nubia, then it gets all screwed up again, all scambled when you move into kanem-bornu, then from there to the end of the file the CoAs are all mixed up. No idea why part is fine, then bad, then fine, then bad again, it all looks correct, no missing or extra brackets, no typos, no missing CoAs, no duplicates. I'm completely stumped. If anyone else wants to take a look at the landed titles, see if I'm missing something, let me know, otherwise I've no clue what to do now.

check if the isles of mann and titles around it (before and after) is duplicate.
check the flagfiles.tga in your temp folder. if one title is duplicate, its coa will be duplicate too, but both will be together in the flagfile.

I think I may have found the issue. Somewhere along the line some province history files were deleted which overwrote baronies for some existing stock provinces, meaning there are "two" instances of the barony in game (although only one instance is in landed_titles.txt, because there are two instances of the barony in two different history files, the barony appears in both provinces). I'm not 100% certain if that is the issue (can baronies affect flags?), but I'm fixing it and hoping none-the-less.

I think I may have found the issue. Somewhere along the line some province history files were deleted which overwrote baronies for some existing stock provinces, meaning there are "two" instances of the barony in game (although only one instance is in landed_titles.txt, because there are two instances of the barony in two different history files, the barony appears in both provinces). I'm not 100% certain if that is the issue (can baronies affect flags?), but I'm fixing it and hoping none-the-less.

-I fear it is unrelated to the flag pb as the game ignores baronies in the landed_titles for flags.
-Duplicate baronies in history files may causes other cool and fun problems !
-Baronies can't have specific flags.

NAE 1.3 has been released and the first post has been updated.

Changelog
- Completely resketched the whole of the central african provinces, I think near doubling the amount of provinces and performed some minor touch ups to east africa. The general external border of the de jure Kanem-Bornu Empire is now more historically accurate, as opposed to the odd blob it was originally (which was based on a wikipedia image, but wasn't really that accurate).
- Added two new cultures (Daju and Fur, though the names are collected from a variety of sources and may not be 100% accurate, if you have any names to add, remove or change, let me know)
- Touched up the religious icons a little.
- Merged my Shires of England & Itzjoi's Wales Divided Map mods into this one (they aren't North Africa, but it's easier for me to only update one map rather than several).
- Modified starting realm succession laws, the majority of the County-level titles are now "turkish succession", strong son takes all, while King titles and Dukes are more appropriate for their area (for example Kingdom of Makuria is Agnatic Primogeniture).
- *Cultural titles for some of the cultures (thanks to Kailvin for the east_african titles, the rest are based on original research by myself, if you have more appropriate titles, let me know).
- Added several new Duchies, 1 new Kingdom and I've lost count of how many new counties.

I had some issues with this one pre-release, so if you find any bugs at all or anything you may think is a bug, forgive me and let me know so I can fix it :happy:
Also, the mod has some "residuals" from my main mod (a bunch of CoAs and localisation entries that aren't used specifically by this mod) that shouldn't affect gameplay and you more than likely won't notice unless you're a modder.

*This also includes existing cultures, not just the african ones, they can be found in Cultures.csv in localisation if you want to remove them (toward the bottom of the file).

Just tested out this mod(1.03v) and I have to say this map looks fantastic. Nubia looks MUCH better. Also really like what you did with England too. Really glad you put your England mod in and Wales Divided with it. Makes the map much nicer. I did have a fairly big bug though. All character's religious icons seemed to be must up. Like Coptic characters icons don't show at all. Other religions seem to have half an icon. There also doesn't seem to be a religious head of Coptic religion in Cairo.

Just tested out this mod(1.03v) and I have to say this map looks fantastic. Nubia looks MUCH better. Also really like what you did with England too. Really glad you put your England mod in and Wales Divided with it. Makes the map much nicer. I did have a fairly big bug though. All character's religious icons seemed to be must up. Like Coptic characters icons don't show at all. Other religions seem to have half an icon. There also doesn't seem to be a religious head of Coptic religion in Cairo.

Ah seems I forgot a file, sorry about that. Extract the archive and drop into ck2\mod, overwrite when asked to.

Let me check into the Coptic head.

Updated to 1.3b (why b? because I noticed the missing localisation entries as I was uploading a :p)
Completely remove any old NAE mods and install the new complete 1.3a archive. Sorry about the bugs :blush:

Changelog
- Added missing k_coptic entry in landed_titles.txt
- Added missing localisation entries for Basra and Mecca.
- Added missing interface\generalstuff file

Also, I'm adding screenshots now to the second post :happy:

Last edited:
Did you start a new game?
The game doesn't reload history files so if you are already running a game, the new title will exist but it won't have a character assigned to it, you'll need to start a new game to get the errant Christodolos to appear.

I do already have a modified cultural buildings mod which adds the new cultures to the same building as ethiopians, but I have plans to break it up and add new buildings for the new cultures, though I'm not entirely sure what effects they will have yet, so I didn't include it in this version.

Last edited:
Ok yes he appears. For some reason I thought he would have a bishopric like the Patriarch in Byzantium. :p
The game did crash for me on July 4 of 1067 though don't know why. Also since you plan on do new cultural buildings for the new cultures how about adding in Syren's Culture Buildings so all the old cultures will have buildings too?

Yeah you should definitely add Syren's two mods. Very simple but elegant. :)

Also Korbah, do you fancy pooling our immense mind-based resources into re-writing the Ethiopian name list? :D

I didn't really want to add a bishopric for the Coptics as either it would have to be a vassal of the Caliphate (which it kind of in some ways was >.>), or I'd have to add exclusions as it were to all the CBs to prevent the caliphate war-deccing it. Do you by any chance have the error.log you could post or send me? Perhaps a save game prior to the date would be helpful too.

@ Sleight of Hand; I haven't really touched the ethiopian names, but sure ;) While we're on names, do you have a seperate list of scots-gaelic-only names by any chance, not mixed in with Irish or norse-gaelic.
Do you know about the IRC channel by the way?