• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Got my first "black screen, just a framerate counter" error when trying to load a new thing.

This modding stuff is fun.

Got my first "black screen, just a framerate counter" error when trying to load a new thing.

This modding stuff is fun.
It is a right of passage ;)

If all the punctuation looks good, check that your file name references are correct. By this, I mean if the file is called chassisdef_Dragon_DRG-X.json, that the references inside both the mechdef and chassisdef refer to the chassisdef_Dragon_DRG-X name (and make sure those files exist).

I take it from some of the mech variants I've seen and the weapon variety mods that have been created that having mechs come with upgrades and better weapons installed isn't going to make the game error on load.

Also -- can things like movementcapdefID, pathingcapdefID, HardpointDataDefID, PrefabIdentifier be reused across different chassis, or does the each chassis also need its own version of one or any of those?

Last edited:
Yes, you can preload new weapons/upgrades into a 'Mech/Vehicle. A great example is @GenTask 's Weapon diversity mod, which also includes replacement mechdef files for all the base 'Mechs with canon weapon assignments.

Yes, all of those tend to be the same across multiple chassis variants. However, you may see exceptions where the movement speed of a 'Mech/Vee changes. Look at the 2 stock game Cicada chassis files for an example. Or, look at the Vincicator Chassis in the JK_Variants mod. You can create new identifiers for the HardPoints - go look @Lynx7725 's THI mod for so really nice work there.

"Category" : "Ballistic",
"Type" : "Autocannon",
"WeaponSubType" : "MachineGun",
"ShotsWhenFired" : 5,
"ProjectilesPerShot" : 1,
"WeaponEffectID" : "WeaponEffect-Weapon_AC5",
"Icon" : "uixSvgIcon_weapon_Missile"

Was pointed to this thread by the author from an autocannon thread. Just trying to get Ultra and LBX Autocannons to work with multiple ShotsWhenFired greater than 1 and avoiding the follow on shot bug that causes ALL the rest of your weapons to miss when an Autocannon misses just one shot.

Type and WeaponSubType dont appear to do anything... Maybe MachineGun or missiles will work...

Last edited:
Ok, I figured out that 'Type' and 'WeaponSubType' didnt change anything. I dont even know what they do. But changing 'WeaponEffectID' changes the sound, the visual of the weapon effect and actually works, as does missiles, for 'ShotsWhenFired' for follow up shots avoiding the miss bug where Autocannons miss all the follow on shots when just one weapon misses.

So that's pretty much it. If you want Ultra Autocannons, or LBX Shotgun Cannons, the way to go is to use 'WeaponEffectID' set to either 'WeaponEffect-Weapon_MachineGun' or one of the various SRM or LRM varieties, but in doing so, you end up using the sound and visuals associated with that string. So... that sucks... unless...

How do I change the MachineGun sound and visuals to that of an autocannon?
Edit: I already tried replacing the Machingun.Bnk with the AC.Bnk, didnt work.

Last edited:
Tonight I bite the bullet and patch to current, then start figuring out what I need to re-mod.

GOG patcher keeps erroring out... saying it can't update a bunch of files.

Guess I'm reinstalling tonight. Yay.

GOG patcher keeps erroring out... saying it can't update a bunch of files.

Guess I'm reinstalling tonight. Yay.
That also sounds like a right of passage.

Back up and running... so much work to do before I can actually play again.

My to-do list, some old some just now adding -- all going in a mod folder instead of editing base files this time:

Starting with the three I need to ask about how to do:

1. Change stability from flat rate by weight class, to weight class + piloting, so that only an Assault Mech with a 10 Piloting mechwarrior gets the full 200 stability

2. Change Master Tactician so that it unlocks other actions after using Sensor Lock (mainly firing weapons or bracing, but hopefully also movement for Ace Pilots)

3. Partial Permanent Evasion

Then the old list:

Update all the chassisdef to share the hardpoints across variants (no risk of funny art, makes each one more versatile and customizeable).
Tweak salvage rates
Tweak XP and leveling
Tweak rate of death
Tweak number and variety of missions at each world
Mech size -- down from 1.25 to 0.9

Make LosTech actually appear, rarely, in stores and salvage
Make cockpit, gyro, etc upgrades more common
Open the entire map up early in the campaign
Skip tutorial/intro
Reduce Combat audio delays -- reduces stutter/lag during combat damage zoom in on target mechs
Reduce screen shake from walking or firing
Change starting mechs

Addendum -- find a way to make salvage by the mech, not by the variant.
Addendum -- Reduce cooling malus of biomes (can't stand playing half my battles on worlds that "just happen" to be bad for cooling)
Addendum -- Take a second look at called/precision shots, 1.1 might have overdone nerfing them.

And this doesn't count the weapons and mechs I want to add, but I think that's for later once I can play the game again.

Last edited:
Some of those are way harder than others. It is a good tiered list of difficulty in modding, though.

I've already done everything in the big list before, it's just those three that I've seen done, and I'd like to either get my hands on stand-alone, or figure out how to do on my own.

Okay. Number 2 I have taken a crack at for a while and couldn't solve. Sensor Lock has flags for whether it can be used with firing or moving. Toggling them has no effect at all. It gets overridden later in the code, and that part can't simply be bypassed. It is way more complex than I thought.

Well, thanks for digging into it, it was a great idea -- would have saved SL from being a niche ability later in the progression.

It certainly might be doable, but it is beyond me right now. I reprioritized to other things I could handle.

Green = done on list above.

(And thank you to anyone reading this for humoring me making my mod ordeals public...)

I'm about one more mysterious failure away from abandoning this entirely.

I can edit individual weapon files in the game files and it works and the changes take effect no problem.

But if I add the weapon folder to the mod in ModTek, put all my changed files in that folder, and add a line to Mod.json, the game will load, but when I try to go into the Skirmish mechbay the game just sits with the spinner going really fast and "tips and lore" refreshing infinitely -- I've let it sit 10+ minutes just to see, it gets stuck at that screen.

I'm about one more mysterious failure away from abandoning this entirely.

I can edit individual weapon files in the game files and it works and the changes take effect no problem.

But if I add the weapon folder to the mod in ModTek, put all my changed files in that folder, and add a line to Mod.json, the game will load, but when I try to go into the Skirmish mechbay the game just sits with the spinner going really fast and "tips and lore" refreshing infinitely -- I've let it sit 10+ minutes just to see, it gets stuck at that screen.
I've got some free time; .zip/.rar up your 'Mods' folder and upload it here, let me take a look.

EDIT: Given the description of your problem... I suspect old 'mech variants/lances, with the game looking for files that are no longer present.

Instead, post your output_log.txt file.

Last edited:
OK.

Everything else seems to work -- but when I added the weapons folder and the line to mod.json, I get the error I described above.

Haven't even changed any of the weapon files yet, this was just to make sure the new folder and files didn't have an issue.

Attachments

• DragonTest.zip
    212,1 KB · Views: 8