• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Note: you use ChassisDef to create new chassis of a 'mech, i.e. a 'mech blueprint with completely new hardpoints.
You use MechDef to create new variant of existing chassis, i.e. you swap weapons within existing hardpoints.
There is other implication: if you kill a 'mech, it will drop salvage parts based on chassis it uses.

@Max_Killjoy : I also just started with the mods, so we are in the same boat - trying to figure out what's what to have extra things included in the game.

Note: you use ChassisDef to create new chassis of a 'mech, i.e. a 'mech blueprint with completely new hardpoints.
You use MechDef to create new variant of existing chassis, i.e. you swap weapons within existing hardpoints.
There is other implication: if you kill a 'mech, it will drop salvage parts based on chassis it uses.

@Max_Killjoy : I also just started with the mods, so we are in the same boat - trying to figure out what's what to have extra things included in the game.

In this case, I want the mod to load a chassisdef with expanded hardpoints for an existing variant -- in other words, replacing the vanilla chassisdef completely.

Last edited:
So I downloaded a JSON editor as recommended by @Lyrch75, and it says that the file I posted earlier has an error in line 11 -- a missing , or }. But, it doesn't point to where it's missing.

The editor has a tool that is supposed to parse bad code into good, and after running that the editor says the code is fine, though all it did was add some line breaks as far as I can see.

And of course, testing it in actual game... nothing happened, Dragon still has its vanilla hardpoints.

Ugh.

Post up the file bro - if one of us can look at it, we might be able to tell you what is missing :p Or at least copy and paste it in to a spoiler box here.

Usually you need to look at the line before the error - that is usually where the problem is. A missing/extra bracket, comma, apostrophe or quote are the most common issues.

I am running out for the afternoon, so I won't be looking until this eve, but someone else might ;)

Post up the file bro - if one of us can look at it, we might be able to tell you what is missing :p Or at least copy and paste it in to a spoiler box here.

Usually you need to look at the line before the error - that is usually where the problem is. A missing/extra bracket, comma, apostrophe or quote are the most common issues.

I am running out for the afternoon, so I won't be looking until this eve, but someone else might ;)

I put it in a post yesterday, in spoiler tags.

Here's what it was before the JSON editor:

{
"Name": "DragonTest",
"Enabled": true,

"Version": "1.1.1",
"Description": "Testing Adding Hardpoints to the Dragon 1N Chassis",
"Author": "Max_Killjoy",
"Website": "none",
"Contact": "none,

"Manifest": [
{ "Type": "ChassisDef", "Path": "chassis\\", "AddToDB": true }
]
}

Here it is after.

{
"Name" : "DragonTest",
"Enabled" : true,
"Version" : "1.1.1",
"Description" : "Testing Adding Hardpoints to the Dragon 1N Chassis",
"Author" : "Max_Killjoy",
"Website" : "none",
"Contact" : "none,\r\n\t\r\n\t",
"Manifest\"" : [
{
"Type" : "ChassisDef",
"Path" : "chassis\\",
"AddToDB" : true
}
]
}

Neither one seems to get the chassisdef file to load in place of the vanilla file.

So let's see, I can't upload it as-is because there's some sort of file-extension whitelist, as if that's not ridiculously easy to circumvent.

So, trying again as a zipped file...

Attachments

• DragonTest.zip
    1,9 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:
Ah - I guess I mispoke. Can you post up the file that is in your mod? The new dragon 'Mech. I am wondering if that is causing the issue on some level. Bundle and zip up the whole DragonTest folder if you would!

Ah - I guess I mispoke. Can you post up the file that is in your mod? The new dragon 'Mech. I am wondering if that is causing the issue on some level. Bundle and zip up the whole DragonTest folder if you would!

Edited in above.

Edited in above.

Try the attached rework - the 'after' version of your file had some wonky stuff in it, so it should look more like the original.

I also turned off the 'add to DB' - as this 'Mech is already in the MDD (it is one of the core models), so you are just adding on new information.

I just used this on mine and it passed through without problem.

Dragon.png

Attachments

• DragonTest.zip
    1,7 KB · Views: 8
Try the attached rework - the 'after' version of your file had some wonky stuff in it, so it should look more like the original.

I also turned off the 'add to DB' - as this 'Mech is already in the MDD (it is one of the core models), so you are just adding on new information.

I just used this on mine and it passed through without problem.

View attachment 382936

Sure enough, it works.

So it didn't work with addDB missing, and it didn't work with it in and set to true... but it did work with it in and set to false.

After work this evening I'll have to compare the new mod.json you sent to the one I used before the JSON editor changed it, and see what doesn't match.

At the very least I can use the one you did as a template until I figure it out.

Thank you.

As an aside, I used the Dragon as a test because I had not edited the base file at all.

And then I decided that having Flamers in the CT, which translates to the "maw" of the mech visually, would be appropriate for the Dragon... and so I think I'm going to keep this in some way.

E: I think my big test will be to go for the endzone and create a 75-ton "Mad Dragon" 4/6/x mech using the Dragon "art assets" and so on.

E2: Just a shame I can't put the Cataphract's or Catapult's legs on my "Mad Dragon", it really should have those sorts of legs, if you know what I mean.

Last edited:
Almost forgot the Binary Laser Cannon:

Since it's cosmetic, would probably try to use the "large pulse laser" visual effect here to kinda hint at the multiple laser cores. But, no pulse to-hit bonus, no multiple shots.

Blazer
* Min Range 0, Med Range 300, Max Range 450
* Damage 60
* Heat Gen 45
* Tonnage 9
* Slots 4
* Energy Weapon

Glad it helped - hopefully you can reverse engineer it.

You can look at the Binary Laser I did for the JK_Variants mod :

{
"Category" : "Energy",
"Type" : "Laser",
"WeaponSubType" : "LargeLaser",
"MinRange" : 0,
"MaxRange" : 450,
"RangeSplit" : [
],
"AmmoCategory" : "NotSet",
"StartingAmmoCapacity" : 0,
"HeatGenerated" : 36,
"Damage" : 61,
"OverheatedDamageMultiplier" : 0,
"EvasiveDamageMultiplier" : 0,
"EvasivePipsIgnored" : 0,
"DamageVariance" : 0,
"HeatDamage" : 0,
"AccuracyModifier" : -1,
"CriticalChanceMultiplier" : 1.1,
"AOECapable" : false,
"IndirectFireCapable" : false,
"RefireModifier" : 0,
"ShotsWhenFired" : 1,
"ProjectilesPerShot" : 2,
"AttackRecoil" : 1,
"Instability" : 0,
"WeaponEffectID" : "WeaponEffect-Weapon_Laser_Large",
"Description" : {
"Cost" : 200000,
"Rarity" : 5,
"Purchasable" : true,
"Manufacturer" : "Defiance",
"Model" : "Binary Laser Cannon",
"UIName" : "B Laser",
"Id" : "Weapon_Laser_BinaryLaserCannon_0-STOCK",
"Name" : "B Laser",
"Details" : "Considered a dead end technology, Binary Laser (nicknamed 'Blazers') fused two Large Laser cores together, allowing them to be fired together. While this increased penetration, the damage was still lower than firing two Large Lasers separately.",
"Icon" : "uixSvgIcon_weapon_Energy"
},
"BonusValueA" : "+ 10% Crit.",
"BonusValueB" : "",
"ComponentType" : "Weapon",
"ComponentSubType" : "Weapon",
"PrefabIdentifier" : "Laser",
"BattleValue" : 0,
"InventorySize" : 4,
"Tonnage" : 9,
"AllowedLocations" : "All",
"DisallowedLocations" : "All",
"CriticalComponent" : false,
"statusEffects" : [

],
"ComponentTags" : {
"items" : [
"component_type_stock",
"range_long"
],
"tagSetSourceFile" : ""
}
}

I had tried to do a projectiles per shot effect and you hear the shots, but the lasers just blend with each other. The Pulse laser may be the superior weapon effects choice. When I had tested it, I remember thinking it flashed 'too many' times, and I had settled on the LL effect.

For Damage, I upped it to 61 - after someone had pointed out that one of the unique features of the Blazer was that it could do a head cap.

Heat should be double what a LL is (I used 36 - which is 18*2) - did you adjust your base LL heat level? If not, you may want to lower the heat. I also made a variant that integrates the cooling jacket, knocking this down to 33 heat.

I also added in a +10% crit bonus to account for the fluff about how it had a better chance to do internal damage with the quick succession of strikes.

For my starting/brainstorming values I just multiplied damage by 5 and heat by 3, and then rounded to the nearest multiple of 5. I wanted to get feedback and eventually play with it before settling on a final value for either one.

With the new heat values for 1.1.0, the LL is now 18 heat instead of 30 (which may well be a swing too far the other direction). Was just pointing it out to assist ;) I had also done the 60 value, until someone pointed out that the head has a max of 61 - and by making a Binary Laser do 60, it takes away the chance of a single shot hot cap.

With the new heat values for 1.1.0, the LL is now 18 heat instead of 30 (which may well be a swing too far the other direction). Was just pointing it out to assist ;) I had also done the 60 value, until someone pointed out that the head has a max of 61 - and by making a Binary Laser do 60, it takes away the chance of a single shot hot cap.

Thanks. I had gone back and forth in my head about the heat, but I guess I'm leaning towards some sort of drawback for it in the sort of "3025 oddball" spirit that I'm going for with all these weapons. The LACs have split damage and shorter range, as another example.

Shame there's no "recharge rate" mechanic that would require it to recharge after every shot. (I guess a sort of kludge could be done using a massive "recoil" penalty, but that feels wrong).

Maybe could do a + version that's a bit cooler and a bit more damaging, as the "head capper" of lore, but I'm not a fan of instant-death mechanics myself.

Last edited:
I was just giving you the 'lore' basis for the heat - you don't have to follow anything I say. There is no wrong in modding, you make it the way you enjoy it ;)

The solution you came up with for the every other round (making the recoil penalty to high the hit would be almost impossible) is likely the best solution. You could also make it a higher 'heat' burst, as it has a round interval between. That being said, this still gives the player to fire it out of cycle, but likely waste the shot and generate even more heat.

I was just giving you the 'lore' basis for the heat - you don't have to follow anything I say. There is no wrong in modding, you make it the way you enjoy it ;)

The solution you came up with for the every other round (making the recoil penalty to high the hit would be almost impossible) is likely the best solution. You could also make it a higher 'heat' burst, as it has a round interval between. That being said, this still gives the player to fire it out of cycle, but likely waste the shot and generate even more heat.

As an aside, if I sound defensive, I don't mean to, just trying to explain what I was thinking at the time I statted those up -- always willing to consider advice/feedback on these, that's why I posted them so early in the process. Work is at max stress today and I might be coming down with some sort of stomach thing.

@Max_Killjoy : There are on shoot/on hit mechanics available. Would need to look through code to see what is available to do with those though.

PPC uses such a mechanic - targets hit by PPC suffer penalty to hit for 2 rounds.

@Max_Killjoy : There are on shoot/on hit mechanics available. Would need to look through code to see what is available to do with those though.

PPC uses such a mechanic - targets hit by PPC suffer penalty to hit for 2 rounds.

Are there possibly similar effects that affect the firing unit, such as preventing the specific weapon from being fired for a turn?

(As it recharges.)

Are there possibly similar effects that affect the firing unit, such as preventing the specific weapon from being fired for a turn?

(As it recharges.)
There are ways to affect the shooting unit. Also the enemy team, your team, etc. (remember seeing those somewhere).
Don't know the list of available effects though.